This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

fruitcake2511

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

In May, I will graduate with a 4 year degree in psychology. After that, I plan on applying to med school. Here is my issue. I have done my entire degree online at a 4 year college. My prerequisite science courses will be taken in person at a community college along with the labs for the duration of this entire school year (simultaneously taking a few courses at my main university as well, total of 23 credit hours this semester, I'm in for it). I am going to transfer those credits over to my 4 year university in order to graduate from there.

Will medical schools look down upon this? Any advice on what to do and if this makes me a non-traditional applicant? I guess I'm just worried, that's the best way to put it. Any advice on how to make my application stand out would also be greatly cherished! I currently reside in Indiana, but am from Maryland and would ideally like to end up at a medical school on the east coast (New England area).

Honestly any form of advice you all can give me, I will take. My family and my incredibly small handful of friends aren't much help in this matter & I'm in desperate need of support/encouragement/advice.

Thank you so much!

Members don't see this ad.

In my opinion yes schools will look down upon it. I would. If you can get a 513+ mcat that will help. You need to get an above average mcat to quell the doubt. Otherwise it will be something you gotta make up for in other parts in your app. If you transfer and graduate from a traditional campus that will help. But it all depends on the mcat.

In my opinion yes schools will look down upon it. I would. If you can get a 513+ mcat that will help. You need to get an above average mcat to quell the doubt. Otherwise it will be something you gotta make up for in other parts in your app. If you transfer and graduate from a traditional campus that will help. But it all depends on the mcat.

Hey, thanks for the advice! I'm not a degree-seeking student at the community college so all the science prereqs will transfer to my 4 yr traditional university so I will be a graduate from there. Currently developing a study schedule/plan for MCAT. Trying to give myself plenty of time so I can do well! :)

Last edited: