May 25, 2017
Status
Pre-Medical
ORM TX Resident (3.95 sGPA, 3.96 cGPA, 518 MCAT) 23 MD, 23 secondaries, 6 IIs (TX only), 3 Rs (OOS only), silence from everywhere else. All secondaries complete mid-late July.

Should I expect any OOS interviews at this point? All OOS schools were Top 30 schools. I've been hearing more about how OOS schools generally do not extend interview invites to Texas residents, but how true is this?

ORM TX Resident (3.95 sGPA, 3.96 cGPA, 518 MCAT) 23 MD, 23 secondaries, 6 IIs (TX only), 3 Rs (OOS only), silence from everywhere else. All secondaries complete mid-late July.

Should I expect any OOS interviews at this point? All OOS schools were Top 30 schools. I've been hearing more about how OOS schools generally do not extend interview invites to Texas residents, but how true is this?
As a generalization it's true that OOS med schools will be disinclined to use their limited resources to interview Texas residents who are far more likely to take an instate acceptance, however, your stats are good enough that you might potentially attract a scholarship offer that would offset the difference (thus perhaps making you worth the effort), provided the rest of your application is as good as your stats.

Jun 10, 2018
As a generalization it's true that OOS med schools will be disinclined to use their limited resources to interview Texas residents who are far more likely to take an instate acceptance, however, your stats are good enough that you might potentially attract a scholarship offer that would offset the difference (thus perhaps making you worth the effort), provided the rest of your application is as good as your stats.
So are you saying that if a TX resident has been offered interviews from OOS state schools, the chances of getting a scholarship could be higher than average?
In my mind, if a top OOS is willing to interview a Texas resident, they can be pretty confident that that applicant is also interviewing at the much cheaper Texas schools. Therefore, they might be inclined to use a merit scholarship to make their school much more attractive (in terms of price at least)

Reactions: gyngyn
So are you saying that if a TX resident has been offered interviews from OOS state schools, the chances of getting a scholarship could be higher than average?
In my mind, if a top OOS is willing to interview a Texas resident, they can be pretty confident that that applicant is also interviewing at the much cheaper Texas schools. Therefore, they might be inclined to use a merit scholarship to make their school much more attractive (in terms of price at least)
It seems a reasonable conclusion, assuming they like you at the interview.

Reactions: Goro

esob

Protomolecule
Lifetime Donor
2+ Year Member
Sep 28, 2015
Icaria Planum
Status
Medical Student
Our GPA's are similar, but your MCAT is significantly higher (though I'm a veteran so I'm sure there is some offset), and I've received 6 II's in TX and nothing from OOS MD with the exception of 1 rejection. I only applied to mid/low tier OOS, however.

Med Ed

2+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2015
Status
Attending Physician
If an OOS state school is going to try and attract a TX applicant, there will have to be some special appeal of that individual. A connection to the area, some exceptional alignment with the school's mission, some specific track or area of academic strength, etc. Schools don't just pluck Texans out of the applicant pool and throw money at them.

gonnif

Only 562 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
It seems a reasonable conclusion, assuming they like you at the interview.
From my experience with some of the more "prestigious" medical schools, they often have the view that, except for the really over-the-top, outstanding acceptees, Candidates should be more than willing to pay for the privilege to attend our school; why should they have to throw money at anyone to attract them to attend. If the acceptee wants to pay less, let him go to Texas.

Last edited:
Reactions: Goro

jarednogeek

2+ Year Member
Jan 31, 2015
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
don't worry, also 3.98gpa 513 mcat, II in all MD's in texas, not a single OOS II.