Oregon State c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ziggyandjazzy

the smallest feline is a masterpiece
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Ok so I started getting impatient and decided to make this thread. Who is applying to Oregon State this year?! I will be starting in September as a first year in state student. Ask any questions you have!! Go beavs!

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'll be here to answer questions as well. OSU hasn't had many active forum members the past few years so it has been hard to get info about the school.

Members don't see this ad :)
:( sorry!

Feel free to PM me or ask me anything. I'm entering 3rd year.
You have been very helpful! It's just such a small class size so it's natural for there to not be a ton of representation here.

I am a current fourth year in the program and am always willing to try and answer questions. My schedule is a bit crazy now, but I will do my best to answer any questions that I can! Good luck in the application process everyone!

Reactions: 2 users
Second application cycle, first time applying to OSU. Can anyone tell me, since OOS don’t get interviews, when do we hear back? Do we have to wait until the IS have interviews and hear back?

Second application cycle, first time applying to OSU. Can anyone tell me, since OOS don’t get interviews, when do we hear back? Do we have to wait until the IS have interviews and hear back?

I am applying OOS as well, and was actually just looking into this yesterday!! It looks like last year OOS decisions went out on 12/06

I am applying OOS as well, and was actually just looking into this yesterday!! It looks like last year OOS decisions went out on 12/06

Thank for the info! Now I can stop worrying as much about this school for a little while. :)

Last year they were notified well before IS students.

Reactions: 1 user
Not applying to Oregon but I’m here for the Ed Sheeran beaver gif

It's been pretty quiet here... do you guys think us OOS applicants will hear back soon? It looks like notifications have gone out on 12/6 the past two years!

Members don't see this ad :)
It's been pretty quiet here... do you guys think us OOS applicants will hear back soon? It looks like notifications have gone out on 12/6 the past two years!
I saw someone say that they were trying to let everyone know beginning of next week, so hopefully we hear something soon!

The quarter ends tomorrow. So hopefully by next week you guys are notified. Current 3rd year here - open to answering any questions.

Admissions files were due a week ago so I'd imagine the process will be fairly fast from here.

OOS Accepted!!!!!!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN

Reactions: 9 users
Congrats!!!! :D :D :D How did you find out??

Thank you!
They sent me an email at 11:30 am Mountain time! :)
Oregon doesn’t have a “portal” page since the supplemental was done on that like google page thing, right?
Not sure if they also call to inform status! .

Congrats!!! Which state are you from?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Thank you!!
I am from New Mexico!
Would you also like to see my stats?

Edit:
I just posted them because I had them from somewhere else anyways.

OOS, New Mexico, 1st time applicant, 22 years old.
cum. GPA: 3.93
Science GPA: 3.81
Math GPA: 4.00
Last 45: 3.97

Awards/Honors
Summa cum laude
Deans list all 8 semesters
Honor society member
Class valedictorian IN HS

LOR
DVM I interned with
DVM I work with
4 Professors from my school who knew me VERY well (Genetics prof., Biochemistry prof., prof. who I did research with, and prof. from animal science course)

Experience:
Shelter Clinic Volunteer ~500 hours
Shelter volunteer (dog walking, adoption counseling, etc.) — 1000 hours
Vet assistant at a vet hospital — 350 hours
Kennel assistant at same vet hospital — 200 hours
Exotics — 90 hours
Foster (bottle feeding, etc) — 70

Volunteer experience:
Volunteering with homeless shelters — 300 hours
Foster children tutor — 200 hours

High school experience
Student council Vice President and President — 250 hours
Student body president — 36 hours

Non-animal related work experience
Frozen yogurt store — 2000 hours

Research
Ecosystem science intern and presenter at annual science presentation — 150 hours

Essays:
I just talked about how I have wanted to be a vet since I was raised in a rural community and that I want to give back to my community. I especially talked about how devoted and passionate I am about animal health.

Awards/Honors
Summa cum laude
Honor society member

LOR
DVM I interned with
DVM I work with
4 Professors from my school who knew me VERY well (Genetics prof., Biochemistry prof., prof. who I did research with, and prof. from animal science course)

Experience:
Exotics — 90 hours

Volunteer experience:

High school experience

Research
Ecosystem science intern and presenter at annual science presentation — 150 hours

Essays:
I just talked about how I have wanted to be a vet since I was raised in a rural community and that I want to give back to my community. I especially talked about how devoted and passionate I am about animal health.

What’s your first initial of your last name? I’m still hoping mine will come soon because I have W for a last name

What’s your first initial of your last name? I’m still hoping mine will come soon because I have W for a last name

Last year, all OOS WICHE and IS applicants heard back first. All regular OOS applicants heard back the following week. My guess is that OSU is following the same timeline, because I haven’t heard anything.

I am OOS. Where are you guys seeing/getting your rejections/acceptances?

Awards/Honors
Summa cum laude
Honor society member

LOR
DVM I interned with
DVM I work with

Experience:
Exotics — 90 hours

Volunteer experience:

High school experience

Research

Essays:

Thank you!! You have awesome stats and totally deserve to get in!! Congrats again

Congrats to the incoming class!

To those who haven’t had great news: good luck on your other applications and you can always try again if you want. Remember that it’s not personal. You are still great!

If anyone needs anything, let me know!

I got an interview invite yesterday!

Congrats! Last year the odds for IS students getting interviews was pretty good.
Thank you! That’s good to hear. Was the MMI better or worse than you were expecting? I’ve had one interview so far but this will be my first MMI :confused:

OOS waitlisted. Anyone have any idea of amt of people who go on waitlist, if they rank it, when we find out, etc?

OOS accepted!! It is the first school I've heard back from and it feels so good!!!! :)

Reactions: 7 users
OOS alternate. Is this the same as a waitlist? I'm not too familiar. Congrats to those who were accepted :)

Also OOS waitlisted.

Edit: like others I would love to hear how they rank the waitlist, etc. c:

Thank you! That’s good to hear. Was the MMI better or worse than you were expecting? I’ve had one interview so far but this will be my first MMI :confused:
They weren't as bad as I thought. I prefer them to regular interviews, but that's just me

Congrats to all accepted!

And to all waitlisted: I know of a fair amount of people in my class who were originally waitlisted. It isn't over until it's over.

For those rejected, I'm sorry. Hold your head up high.

And if anyone has questions about OSU, I would still be happy to answer them on here or in a PM.

Reactions: 4 users