Oregon State c/o 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Earlier this week I emailed Tess and asked for an update on the waitlist. She told me that the next day they were sitting down to rank the list so I waited until the day after and asked about my ranking. She told me I’m #5 and that they plan to send an email to everyone after the 15th with the status of the class and if they anticipate accepting anyone from the waitlist. Just thought I’d update everyone since there hasn’t been anything posted here in a while... just a little longer and all of us that are waitlisted will know our fates!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hello, can a current student comment on the pros and cons of the school as well as living in the Corvallis area? I put my deposit down for another school and am on the waitlist for Oregon State but in the chance that I was accepted I think I would accept because it is cheaper. However I have never been to Oregon or the west coast so I wanted to hear a little more about the best parts of the school! Thank you

Hello, can a current student comment on the pros and cons of the school as well as living in the Corvallis area? I put my deposit down for another school and am on the waitlist for Oregon State but in the chance that I was accepted I think I would accept because it is cheaper. However I have never been to Oregon or the west coast so I wanted to hear a little more about the best parts of the school! Thank you
Just at a really basic level:

Pros:
- Small class size (absolutely the biggest benefit). You get to know all of your classmates and professors very well and subsequently, get a lot more experience than many other schools.
- Tons of surgery experience. We have a required rotation at a humane society 4th year and surgery labs during third year so I think the average students graduates with about 50-60 surgeries as the primary surgeon.
- Lots of great outdoors things to do in the area: hiking, biking, whatever else you can think of
- Tons of hands on experience if you choose to get involved with clubs: necropsies on wild animals, resuscitating neonates after c-sections, large animal palpation practice, doing dental extractions, bone plating labs, CPR labs, surgery shadowing etc.
- Quarter system - some people love it and some hate it. Our breaks don't always align with other schools or summer programs so you may need to do some stuff behind the scenes to coordinate jobs/study abroad stuff.
- Professors are amazing - they'll stay well after the time they normally leave to help you in lab or with difficult concepts from lecture. Most of them are also the clinicians you'll be working with fourth year, so you get to know them on a personal level beforehand.

Cons:
- It rains... A lot... I love the constant rain but 90% of people here despise it. Some people end up getting seasonal depression due to the lack of sunlight during the Winter.
- Winter term physiology is notoriously difficult and a few people usually fail because of it. They're given a chance to remediate if they fail it, but that doesn't negate that it is a "weed out" class.
- Honestly can't think of any other cons at the moment. It's a fantastic school and I would recommend it to anyone if it is their cheapest option.

Reactions: 2 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Earlier this week I emailed Tess and asked for an update on the waitlist. She told me that the next day they were sitting down to rank the list so I waited until the day after and asked about my ranking. She told me I’m #5 and that they plan to send an email to everyone after the 15th with the status of the class and if they anticipate accepting anyone from the waitlist. Just thought I’d update everyone since there hasn’t been anything posted here in a while... just a little longer and all of us that are waitlisted will know our fates!

I emailed her this morning and she said currently all of their non-resident spots are filled!

I agree completely with everything that was already stated and am adding additional commentary:

Pros:
- There is a LOT of flexibility in your schedule during your 4th year should you choose for preceptorships/externships/vacation time/etc.
- 4th years have been averaging 56 spays/neuters during their 4th year. As a third year currently, I completed 4 surgeries, assisted in 5, and you get a LOT of anesthesia experiencing as well.
- Electives have been great
- Curriculum committee will work with you if you want to take courses at other schools as elective credit
- You can find some cheap places to live around here
- There are some GREAT bars/coffee shops. Restaurants are somewhat limited, but no big deal.
- If a concert or something is in town, you aren't that far away if you have time :)
- Classes communicate well, you can usually find an upperclassmen who has similar interests and pick their brain about things.

Cons:
-There are some communication issues between admin/course instructors/students, but they are improving and you'll find something similar at every school.

I emailed her this morning and she said currently all of their non-resident spots are filled!

Noooooooo I still have hope though! Ya never know, someone might get pulled off their in-state waitlist and forfeit their spot!

I will list some things and try to group them in categories

Positive:
- an hour or so away from Portland, the best city in the world with anything you could ever want :D
- corvallis is honestly a great town to live in. tons of great restaurants and brew pubs. wonderful hikes close by. An hour from the coast. mountains close by as well.
- lab animal partnership with OHSU as well as close to U of O's large zebrafish research center
- research opportunities at the school and abroad during summer that are paid
- if you are into camelids, this is your place
- there is a new hospital being built and you will likely have brand spanking new facilities for 3-4 years of vet school. additionally, a lot of our facilities are much newer than other schools
- other things already mentioned ie small class size, large amount of surgery opportunities 4th year
- most every professor puts their lectures online so feasibly you can not go to class pretty frequently, if that's your thing
- you're going to be living in Oregon, need I say more?

Neutral-ish:
- cost of living. it will be significantly more expensive than the midwest/south but likely cheaper than UC Davis, UPenn, etc. You will be spending at least $500-600 (and likely a bit more) on wherever you live
- some professors are awesome, some are honestly quite bad. Winter quarter is absolute hell. Many professors are excellent instructors and others really couldn't care less/enjoy your suffering (I am a bit salty rn so take this with a grain of salt)
- weather. some love it, some hate it. it rains quite a bit but is never super cold or hot compared to many areas of the country
- quarters. I like them because finals will be over 10 weeks of material which is nice. can complicate summer plans

Negative:
- OSU is missing out on quite a few specialties. There are no GPs or ER at the vet hospital. There is also no ophthalmologist, neurologist, dentist, dermatologist, nutritionist (among others I am sure)
- the first year class room gets so hot you feel like passing out sometimes. and the anatomy lab is very cold
- winter quarter -_-
- since the class size increased, there have been some growing pains associated with how to handle this
- not a lot of places to eat lunch currently, esp since the atrium has been temporarily converted to the lobby for the SA hospital. (annoying to hear barking dogs during class but this is very temporary)

Positive:
- an hour or so away from Portland, the best city in the world with anything you could ever want :D
- corvallis is honestly a great town to live in. tons of great restaurants and brew pubs. wonderful hikes close by. An hour from the coast. mountains close by as well.
- lab animal partnership with OHSU as well as close to U of O's large zebrafish research center
- there is a new hospital being built and you will likely have brand spanking new facilities for 3-4 years of vet school. additionally, a lot of our facilities are much newer than other schools
- other things already mentioned ie small class size, large amount of surgery opportunities 4th year
- most every professor puts their lectures online so feasibly you can not go to class pretty frequently, if that's your thing

Neutral-ish:
- cost of living. it will be significantly more expensive than the midwest/south but likely cheaper than UC Davis, UPenn, etc. You will be spending at least $500-600 (and likely a bit more) on wherever you live
- some professors are awesome, some are honestly quite bad. Winter quarter is absolute hell. Many professors are excellent instructors and others really couldn't care less/enjoy your suffering (I am a bit salty rn so take this with a grain of salt)
- weather. some love it, some hate it. it rains quite a bit but is never super cold or hot compared to many areas of the country
- quarters. I like them because finals will be over 10 weeks of material which is nice. can complicate summer plans

Negative:
- OSU is missing out on quite a few specialties. There are no GPs or ER at the vet hospital. There is also no ophthalmologist, neurologist, dentist, dermatologist, nutritionist (among others I am sure)
- the first year class room gets so hot you feel like passing out sometimes. and the anatomy lab is very cold
- winter quarter -_-
- since the class size increased, there have been some growing pains associated with how to handle this
- not a lot of places to eat lunch currently, esp since the atrium has been temporarily converted to the lobby for the SA hospital. (annoying to hear barking dogs during class but this is very temporary)
With the quarter system and the rigorous course schedule. How much time do people have to travel ? For example do people go home on the weekend to visit family ? Or do people usually wait until break to so do so ?

With the quarter system and the rigorous course schedule. How much time do people have to travel ? For example do people go home on the weekend to visit family ? Or do people usually wait until break to so do so ?
It really depends how far away you live. People who have family nearby go home a few weekends per quarter but it's pretty unfeasible to fly somewhere for a 2 day weekend. So anyone who's really far away generally only has time to go home during breaks.

I occasionally go home on weekends, especially for just a day, or if there is an important family event. But my family is close by. Sometimes my mom or dad or both drive down on Friday to hang out with me also. This is going to be super dependent on how far away from family you are.

Luckily breaks are only 10 weeks apart. So I could easily fly home for winter break, spring break, and summer break. My family was able to visit me occasionally. I could take some weekend trips - conferences, hikes, camping, exploring a new town, etc.

Reactions: 1 users
I have quarter system throughout undergrad and now vet school and I love it. Although the pace is very fast, no matter how much you dislike a class or a professor, it's all over in 10 weeks :p

And most importantly you never have mid-terms or finals right after breaks and can truly relax and enjoy your time off :D

Positive:

Neutral-ish:

Negative:
- winter quarter -_-
I will respond to this and say that most schools are missing a few to several specialties. Lectures in 3rd year are taught by boarded folks in neuro, ophtho, derm, emergency, dentist, etc. And you are more than welcome to complete externships during 4th year with any of them.

Members don't see this ad :)
I will respond to this and say that most schools are missing a few to several specialties. Lectures in 3rd year are taught by boarded folks in neuro, ophtho, derm, emergency, dentist, etc. And you are more than welcome to complete externships during 4th year with any of them.
That's good to know!

I really only brought this up because I recently had my two lab partners bitching about it with me. I am not particularly interested in most of those specialties, but I am quite bummed there is no neurologist. I was aware of this before my decision to attend OSU, so it clearly did not affect my decision.

That's good to know!

I really only brought this up because I recently had my two lab partners bitching about it with me. I am not particularly interested in most of those specialties, but I am quite bummed there is no neurologist. I was aware of this before my decision to attend OSU, so it clearly did not affect my decision.

It's the same way at most schools. Just hard to have everything! I know they want to add some specialties with the expansion!

Does anyone know of any waitlist movement or are all the seats still claimed?

Does anyone know of any waitlist movement or are all the seats still claimed?
It would be best to contact Tess to get a direct response to this question.

Luckily breaks are only 10 weeks apart. So I could easily fly home for winter break, spring break, and summer break. My family was able to visit me occasionally. I could take some weekend trips - conferences, hikes, camping, exploring a new town, etc.
How long are winter, spring and summer breaks ?

It would be best to contact Tess to get a direct response to this question.

I spoke to her on the 15th and as of then all the spots had been claimed, although, there is alway a chance someone gets off the waitlist somewhere else and withdraws their acceptance.

Called off my top choice waitlist today at another veterinary school- withdrawing my OOS seat.

If anyone is looking for housing, lmk! I have a spot opening up in my house. Would be available august 1st

What are the best brand coveralls to get?

Also , any suggestions for a first year ? Things to buy not to buy ? Things to do and not to do ?
Thanks !

What are the best brand coveralls to get?

Also , any suggestions for a first year ? Things to buy not to buy ? Things to do and not to do ?
Thanks !
We have required coveralls for fourth year (Pella coveralls) but Tess will send you that information in the next month or two. You can get the cheapo Pella coverall thingies but you can't use those fourth year so might as well just buy the ones Tess recommends the first time around (I think they were like $60 maybe?). Dont buy a stethoscope yet. The ovma usually gives one to each incoming student at the white coat ceremony. Definitely check your email often since Tess sends bimonthly-monthly summer updates with time sensitive stuff in it

We have required coveralls for fourth year (Pella coveralls) but Tess will send you that information in the next month or two. You can get the cheapo Pella coverall thingies but you can't use those fourth year so might as well just buy the ones Tess recommends the first time around (I think they were like $60 maybe?). Dont buy a stethoscope yet. The ovma usually gives one to each incoming student at the white coat ceremony. Definitely check your email often since Tess sends bimonthly-monthly summer updates with time sensitive stuff in it
Pella's aren't actually the ones that Tess recommended to our class, it was a different brand. I have no idea if both can be worn 4th year tho

Pella's aren't actually the ones that Tess recommended to our class, it was a different brand. I have no idea if both can be worn 4th year tho
She recommended the pellas and the other long sleeved brand, but we can only wear pellas fourth year from my understanding.

@ziggyandjazzy @johnsmith123. Any brand is fine. There is NO required brand for 4th year. You can wear the overall time or the complete coverall with short sleeves. They just have to be the Forest green color. I personally find the short sleeved ones more comfortable. Others find the overall/pella style more comfortable. Do not get long sleeves. You can wear long sleeved shirts or sweaters underneath or a jacket over the top.