Organic Chemistry Requirement?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

clr12

Reaction score
Hi guys,

for the schools that only require one semester of organic chemistry with a lab should it be the class titled Organic Chemistry 1? I'm trying to take some classes over the summer and they offer one called Foundations of Organic Chemistry which would work so much better with my schedule over the next year. I put the course description at the bottom.
Should I email all the schools that I'm expecting to apply to or is that annoying for them and just take the course since it is a regular 4 credit Organic Chemistry class with a lab. Let me know what you guys think, or if anyone has done this let me know! I don't wanna waste the money on this class if i'm going to have to take Orgo 1 anyway. Thanks everyone!!

"A one semester course in organic chemistry designed to provide background in the fundamentals of nomenclature, mechanisms, structures, and synthesis of carbon based compounds. This course is designed for science and health science majors who desire a general rather than a detailed knowledge of the compounds of carbon. Topics to be covered include: structure and bonding, acid/base chemistry, isomerism, stereochemistry, and structure determination. Functional groups to be covered include: hydrocarbons, alcohols, ethers, aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids, carboxylic acid derivatives and amines."

Members don't see this ad.

I would be concerned about any "foundations" course being appropriate as a pre-req - I have a bad feeling vet schools will see it as a "not for biology majors" type of course. I'm having a similar issue with a General Microbiology vs. a Microbiology & Its Applications course difference, and all my advisors have said the applications one likely wouldn't count. I would definitely e-mail them, and potentially submit a syllabus if you're able to get your hands on one.

Reactions: 2 users
Hi guys,

for the schools that only require one semester of organic chemistry with a lab should it be the class titled Organic Chemistry 1? I'm trying to take some classes over the summer and they offer one called Foundations of Organic Chemistry which would work so much better with my schedule over the next year. I put the course description at the bottom.
Should I email all the schools that I'm expecting to apply to or is that annoying for them and just take the course since it is a regular 4 credit Organic Chemistry class with a lab. Let me know what you guys think, or if anyone has done this let me know! I don't wanna waste the money on this class if i'm going to have to take Orgo 1 anyway. Thanks everyone!!

"A one semester course in organic chemistry designed to provide background in the fundamentals of nomenclature, mechanisms, structures, and synthesis of carbon based compounds. This course is designed for science and health science majors who desire a general rather than a detailed knowledge of the compounds of carbon. Topics to be covered include: structure and bonding, acid/base chemistry, isomerism, stereochemistry, and structure determination. Functional groups to be covered include: hydrocarbons, alcohols, ethers, aldehydes and ketones, carboxylic acids, carboxylic acid derivatives and amines."

I agree with EB73674. Any course that has a qualifier in the title that insinuates that it is not intended for science majors will probably be judged harshly by most schools. Not saying that the schools won't accept it, but they will likely ask for more information. Does the course appear in your school's chemistry/biology degree core curriculum? If so, it will probably be accepted.

Best bet is to email your desired programs and check to see what they think before you take the class and potentially waste time and money.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Personally, I took 2 semester Organic Chemistry because I was applying to a school that required 2 semesters (ironically the only school that outright denied me before interviews but I digress).

At CSU, they offer a 2 semester course and a 1 semester course. The 1 semester one is generally easier and not as in depth as the 2 semester one is (as it should be). I know plenty of people that are pre-vet and only took the one semester course.

I personally wouldn't put yourself through the strain of the harder 2 semester course if you are only applying to schools that require 1. Also, at least in my experience, the 2 semester course basically forces you to take two semesters of it in order to do the corresponding lab. So, if you don't plan to do both then take the 2 semester option.

Hi guys,

Yes, email the schools to get their approval and save the responses they send you. See if you can get a syllabus from the instructor, as that is usually a better indicator of what exactly the course covers. This is exactly the kind of question you should be addressing to those vet schools that you’re applying to, rather than random people online.

Reactions: 3 users
Definitely email or call the school admissions offices that you are wanting to apply to and they will let you know. I had to ask about a statistics class I took and the office I contacted had no problem telling me yes or no. I've taken both the foundations class you are referring to and Ochem I and Ochem II. The I & II classes suck compared to the foundation class.... lol so if the vet schools let you get away with the 1 semester class, do that one! Unless you really want to learn O chem...

I also only took 1 semester of o chem, but I took the "regular" version as the foundation version wasn't offered at the time. My undergrad did not require both o chems to be taken and had separate labs for each.

A friend took the foundation version and actually had to jump through several hoops for several schools.

I would contact schools, and if you contact via email, attach the syllabus to that email. Theyre going to request it anyway, so might as well skip a step.

thanks guys! i think i'm going to just deal with the timing issue and take orgo 1 instead of foundations! I don't want schools to have any more reason not to admit me :dead:

Hi guys,

A "foundations" course is a good start since it will acquaint you with the topics, but you will still need the full course (Organic Chemistry 1) to be on the safe side.