Quantcast
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

chemdoctor

5+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.
Hello! I was wondering what everyone's thoughts were on Organic Chemistry Research? I may be doing Orgo research in the Spring and was wondering if you guys were familiar with it? What kind of stuff will I be doing? How is it? I'm really excited to be doing this and am really passionate about Chemistry!

What did everyone do? Was it a lot of fun? It'll probably be my first time doing undergrad research. What are your thoughts?

PS: I'll be taking Orgo II next semester. The professor is suppose to be really good.

Please let me know.

Also just a side note: Why is FL considered a lucky state? It is the state I am in! I heard it is lucky for in staters so does that mean that it is easier to get in, if you are an in state Florida student? Please let me know! Thank you all!

seren1051

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Also just a side note: Why is FL considered a lucky state? It is the state I am in! I heard it is lucky for in staters so does that mean that it is easier to get in, if you are an in state Florida student? Please let me know! Thank you all!

I think it's because of tons of in-state schools FL has. Compare that to state like North Dakota.

ShadowGryffin

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I spent three years doing research in an organic synthesis lab, and it was super fun! Admittedly my experience was not typical because my lab had no grad students and I was on a pre-grad track, but it was still fairly similar to what you'll probably be doing.

As far as what exactly you will be doing, that depends on the lab you're in and the kind of research your PI does. It could be anything from cleaning glassware and weighing reagents to taking samples, running reactions and interpreting data.

Feel free to PM me with questions!