OS Residency Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kiddodent2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
  1. I have been on a prescription medication since I was 12 that requires me to see my doctor each month for a refill. Will I be able to visit a doc to get the prescription during my residency
  2. Is there a limit on how many hours omfs work during residency? I heard that 100+ hours is the norm, and it has something with os being regulated by CODA? Are we not unionized? Are any programs under the 80hours/week regulation of ACGME?
  3. Hypothetically speaking, if someone has a lower class rank (i.e., ranked 50/~100) but has a good CBSE score (75+), what are their chances? In other words, does ranking have more weight, or does CBSE have more weight?
  4. What do you have to do to get in? Do I have to do research? Does it have to be lab research, or can I do behavioral health research? What kind of volunteering do some applicants do?
  5. What do you wish you knew about os residency before starting?
Thank you, everyone!

Members don't see this ad.

1. Of course, a lot of programs you have weekend on and weekend off. Meaning if you are on call for one weekend the next weekend is off.

2. Depends some programs circumvent this by not clocking the hours or doing home call. If you want *mostly* <80 hour weeks you don’t apply to the southern programs and come to the Northeast country clubs.

3. your personality has more weight once you reach a cutoff, trust me. They want a dependent charismatic 75 cbse and 50% rank candidate than a 99 cbse number 1 in the class(and these exist)

4. Research helps and most residency’s have you do a research project however big or small.

5. None, when residency starts you just go with it

Reactions: 1 users
1. Of course, a lot of programs you have weekend on and weekend off. Meaning if you are on call for one weekend the next weekend is off.

2. Depends some programs circumvent this by not clocking the hours or doing home call. If you want *mostly* <80 hour weeks you don’t apply to the southern programs and come to the Northeast country clubs.

3. your personality has more weight once you reach a cutoff, trust me. They want a dependent charismatic 75 cbse and 50% rank candidate than a 99 cbse number 1 in the class(and these exist)

4. Research helps and most residency’s have you do a research project however big or small.

5. None, when residency starts you just go with it
What is there to circumvent? OMFS programs don’t fall under ACGME work hour restriction rules. They can work you as long and hard as they want without hiding anything

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
What is there to circumvent? OMFS programs don’t fall under ACGME work hour restriction rules. They can work you as long and hard as they want without hiding anything

Good chunk of programs do honor it, they even give post call day off. Not all programs are balls to the wall 110 hour weeks every week. I don’t see how that is even safe for patients. Very barbaric, backwards, and in my opinion should be illegal.

Most programs I externed at were working <12 hour days. It was not that bad. Busy private practice days are much harder, even if shorter. If you want to do OMS just go for it.

Reactions: 1 users
1. Definitely you will have time and if a school or hospital does not allow you to see a doctor because that dirty tooth is more important. Then don't go there for residency. Also, I believe it is illegal per the ADA, not our ADA, to prevent an employee from getting medical care. Accommodations must be provided.

2. Hours worked varies a lot during residency. While it is true that OMS programs are not bound by the 80 hour work week, most still try to hold to it. Very few resident unions out there. In my program residents can work 80+ hours but it is rare and not the norm. Sometimes you just have a lot of stuff to do.

3. See multiple other posts about this topic. There are many factors that weigh into a candidates matching.

4. Again, see other posts related to OS applications and "basic" criteria/requirements.

5. I have been out many years but I believe the one thing I wish I had known was how little dental school prepares you for OMS residency. I tell all my new residents to be available, be vocal, be honest, be excited and, never try something you have never seen or done. Always get help. Also, you get out of residency what you put into it. You will not be spoon-fed information, You need to be a good self learner.

Reactions: 4 users
Thank you all for answering my questions. I appreciate y'all taking the time to answer my questions! It puts me at ease that I will be able to see my doc once a month