Osteo VSAS 2012!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dissected

All bleeding stops eventually
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

It appears as though VSAS is open to all COCA accredited schools! If you are a pro-active 3rd year student or in SGA, I would make sure your clinical affairs department is taking the necessary steps to make sure you are able to take part in this. Your school has until January 31st to register, and once that takes place your school can send you the information on how to sign up as a student. It is important that you school gets on board with signing up so that you will have this opportunity to streamline away rotations at larger teaching hospitals!

Members don't see this ad.

Beat me to it. Here is the official word, straight from my inbox.

Hi Señor España,

I wanted to follow-up on your inquiry about the inclusion of osteopathic medical colleges in VSAS. As of this morning, invitations have been extended to all COCA accredited AACOM member colleges to join VSAS for the 2012-2013 academic year. Schools have been given until January 31, 2012 to make this decision.

Once an osteopathic medical college has joined VSAS as a "home school", they will be able to provide their students access to VSAS. Students looking for more information about using VSAS in the interim are welcome to review our website, www.aamc.org/vsas, and more specifically our student resources. Our student resources contain a wealth of student focused VSAS information including quick-start cards and reference guides as well as in depth tutorials.

If you have any additional questions or concerns about VSAS please do let us know!

Thats awesome. I copied the link to my student government in the hopes that someone gets off their ass and pushes this with our admin. I have my doubts, but least I put the word out. Very cool for most schools though!

Members don't see this ad :)
As a premed, I understand that this is important, but can someone explain what this means. I understand what vsas is I just want clarification on why DO students are excited as I don't understand the significance of it. Just curious. Thanks.

One application for multiple allopathic away rotations. Otherwise, you have to go to each website, fill out applications for each individual program, and spend countless hours filling out paperwork and researching programs.

I see. So basically, as a DO,if you wanted to do an allopathic residency it was a giant pain because rotations are important, and now there is no giant pain.

Yes, there is nothing similar on the osteopathic side, so if you want to do an away at an osteo program, you still have to go to each website and figure out requirements, fill out an individual application at each program, etc etc.
Huge pain in the ass.

Yea. And I even have a few elective sites that seemed to imply that they looked at/accepted the non-VSAS applications after they'd finished with all the VSAS ones. So in those specific cases (they may be isolated, or numerous, not sure how indicative my experience is of the trends) its a leveling of the playing field for getting those electives as well.

One application for multiple allopathic away rotations. Otherwise, you have to go to each website, fill out applications for each individual program, and spend countless hours filling out paperwork and researching programs.

Unfortunately that part doesn't go away

Nice! I am a member of SGA at my school and I'm surprised (and slightly nervous...) that this hasn't been brought up yet. We have a Dean's Hour coming up soon I believe, but I feel like this will have to be brought up sooner to avoid missing out on this opportunity.

Nice! I am a member of SGA at my school and I'm surprised (and slightly nervous...) that this hasn't been brought up yet. We have a Dean's Hour coming up soon I believe, but I feel like this will have to be brought up sooner to avoid missing out on this opportunity.

I emailed the dean of my school and the clinical dean immediately upon getting the email from vsas. Thankfully they both confirmed we are in for the program.

Word is that TCOM is going to be participating in VSAS. This is very exciting to me. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I emailed the dean of my school and the clinical dean immediately upon getting the email from vsas. Thankfully they both confirmed we are in for the program.

What did you email your dean exactly? I would hope my school has applied already, however I don't know for sure and I would like to know. Was it an email asking your dean if the school has applied for VSAS or was it more of an informative email... I guess I don't know how to approach it.

pm me if you don't feel like posting on the thread.

What did you email your dean exactly? I would hope my school has applied already, however I don't know for sure and I would like to know. Was it an email asking your dean if the school has applied for VSAS or was it more of an informative email... I guess I don't know how to approach it.

pm me if you don't feel like posting on the thread.
I just emailed our clerkship director last night because we haven't been told anything.

Dear Dr. X,

I heard VSAS is now open to osteopathic schools. Will we participate?

Sincerely,
Bacchus
----------
I don't think it requires more than that.

I also spoke to our clinical rotations coordinator and according to him, they had just met the day before and will be accepting the invitation for DCOM. I'm super pumped. :D

So I guess every COCA school signed up for VSAS which was cool...has anyone been sent login information or been told how to access the program yet? Most don't start reviewing applications until April 1st but I think I remembered seeing a few that started taking applications on a first come first serve basis on March 1st.

did they say why they didn't?

To clear up any confusion, Bacchus is saying that PCOM hasn't sent out information for students to access the system. Every COCA school has signed up though (https://www.aamc.org/students/medst.../participatingosteopathicmedicalcolleges.html).

Initially I was pretty excited but now I'm starting to get alarmed at how long it's taking for access information to get out there. I've contacted a few programs and they have said they're entirely switching over to VSAS for DO students (which is cool) but it would suck tremendously if students aren't able to access the program before most processing deadlines. Where rotation spots are competitive and sometimes given out on a first-come-first-serve basis, I really hope administrations don't drop the ball on this kindof stuff.

If your school is dropping the ball and taking their sweet time giving you log-in info, you can always contact the programs you are interested in and generally ask for a paper application. Many programs seem to have work-arounds if you can't use VSAS.

We've had our login info for almost a week..

Good luck Bacchus and ensuii. Hopefully your admin hands it down soon!

To clear up any confusion, Bacchus is saying that PCOM hasn't sent out information for students to access the system. Every COCA school has signed up though (https://www.aamc.org/students/medst.../participatingosteopathicmedicalcolleges.html).

Initially I was pretty excited but now I'm starting to get alarmed at how long it's taking for access information to get out there. I've contacted a few programs and they have said they're entirely switching over to VSAS for DO students (which is cool) but it would suck tremendously if students aren't able to access the program before most processing deadlines. Where rotation spots are competitive and sometimes given out on a first-come-first-serve basis, I really hope administrations don't drop the ball on this kindof stuff.

same thing with Touro NY. taking their sweet time. surprise, surprise...

what'd he do to get the ban-hammer?

Good question. If you look at his post history he spent a lot of time trolling in the osteopathic forum. It wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it. I'm sure he's still around under a new user name.

Good question. If you look at his post history he spent a lot of time trolling in the osteopathic forum. It wouldn't surprise me if that had something to do with it. I'm sure he's still around under a new user name.

yeah, that and rad onc apparently.

i think they toasted him with a laser.

yeah, i dont know why y'all are celebrating this Osteo VSAS nonsense.

i went through it all when the VSAS was a new thing for MDs and it wasn't avail to DOs. It worked out just fine for us DOs. Plus, we got to bypass all that nonsense and just fill out paper apps and have our schools submit other scholastic/insurance info to the programs.

some programs didn't charge for apps, and some did. but they weren't pricey (didn't want to go to CO so i was fine).

I received all my "away" spots I wanted (at competitive programs). ;)

Enjoy VSAS.... a way to REALLY get second-fiddled AND scammed out of moar $$. :laugh:

I see one institution on there I'd consider doing electives at and I already did a core at that institution. Guess I got lucky I won't have to shell a bunch of money out.

:thumbup:
yeah, i dont know why y'all are celebrating this Osteo VSAS nonsense.

i went through it all when the VSAS was a new thing for MDs and it wasn't avail to DOs. It worked out just fine for us DOs. Plus, we got to bypass all that nonsense and just fill out paper apps and have our schools submit other scholastic/insurance info to the programs.

some programs didn't charge for apps, and some did. but they weren't pricey (didn't want to go to CO so i was fine).

I received all my "away" spots I wanted (at competitive programs). ;)

Enjoy VSAS.... a way to REALLY get second-fiddled AND scammed out of moar $$. :laugh:

:thumbup:

Most of these places seem to charge a hefty application fee anyway, so is it really going to cost students that much? Just one example I looked at was a $50 app fee to rotate as a guest student at IUSOM hospital network....if all hospitals charge a similar fee, or even a slightly lower one, would the base fee of $35 + $15 per program still be cheaper in the long run? Sorry, still figuring this out...

Also...does using VSAS give you any edge up on being placed in an allopathic hospital's system as opposed to turning your own paper app? I'm beginning to wonder how you even get the spots you hope for AT ALL, regardless of the approach you take lol. How do they really choose a person if 50 people apply for the same spot??

If I understand it, any institution that is participating in VSAS reserves the right to charge an additional fee. Also, if an institution participates in the service it won't accept paper applications.

Correct me if I am wrong.

If I understand it, any institution that is participating in VSAS reserves the right to charge an additional fee. Also, if an institution participates in the service it won't accept paper applications.

Correct me if I am wrong.

yep.

they program can still charge their $50 or w/e on top of VSAS fees. they dont take paper app (they couldnt for MDs at the time, only DOs and IMG/FMG)

the advantage to paper was i could send 'em all in early and be on top of the pile when it comes time to make selections for rotation spots. it's not based on your credentials - degree, school, grades, board scores (altho some programs are exceptions to this) - but instead first come first serve. now, not so much.

the advantage to paper was i could send 'em all in early and be on top of the pile when it comes time to make selections for rotation spots. it's not based on your credentials - degree, school, grades, board scores (altho some programs are exceptions to this) - but instead first come first serve. now, not so much.

Okay wait....the above bolded statement at first made me really happy. Then I got really sad. :)

"Now, not so much"....? Could you clarify that por favor?

Okay wait....the above bolded statement at first made me really happy. Then I got really sad. :)

"Now, not so much"....? Could you clarify that por favor?

I've got a hard time believing with VSAS it's gonna be all first come first serve. They can also add screens to applications (potentially) - it's a lot easier to do.

Even if it's the best thing since sliced bread... the fact that it costs more is a downside.

It's still first come first serve at a lot of the places (theoretically, as you say..). It's just more standardized about when the flood gates open for everyone applying there. Although I will admit requiring a CV makes it seem like they will screen to some degree.

The additional fees are usually only charged if you end up getting a rotation there.

This seems to streamline the process of applying to a lot of these programs. Maybe I'll be singing a different tune if I don't get any of the electives I want, but this is far more organized and allows for less wasted time hunting on the internet for forms/deadlines/requirements for each individual program....not to mention less need for emailing medical education directors that may take 3 years to reply to your emails.

Something I don't think has been mentioned is that not all programs are on VSAS anyway. Or at least they weren't last year. Maybe there has been a more complete conversion, I don't know. Additionally, one school coordinator I set up a rotation with didn't seem to like the system very much, though they didn't give specifics. But as a DO student, I had to do the paper anyway.

On the other hand, one of my applications got lost somewhere between my school and the coordinator at one program. I was declined for that program even though I found out about it and resubmitted my request prior to their deadline. Unfortunately about 2 months passed before I figured it out. Was it because I was late or simply a crummy candidate? Who knows. They don't tell you why.