OSU-COM class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For just myself, $65 per month. $7500 deductible, no prescription coverage. Copay is $15, but your office visits as a medical student will be waived most of the time as a professional courtesy.

Holy deductible batman! I thought my $1500 was high

Members don't see this ad.

We are trying to find an apartment for under $600, so I think we will be ok in that department. How much is insurance per month typically?

My wife and I used to stay in a 1 bedroom apt in south tulsa (nice part of town) for $530, so under $600 is not too hard to find.

I know we can work the first summer but I think it would be hard to find decent employment for just 2 months. I have heard that OSU has externship opportunities for that first summer.

Does anyone know anything about the summer online class (i think its a histology course for the bridge students)

As for the insurance, 450 a month with bcbsok for my spouse and I with 500 deduc each and 35 copayment for office. 50 % rx copayment.

Job wise I think it's going to be hell finding a job during the summer but well see.

Apartment wise, spending more to get a 2 bed corner unit but cutting back on other luxeries.

And finally the online class I am going to work an extra month. I talked to about 30 ms1 students and about 2 said to take it so I'd rather work and pad my nest egg.

Members don't see this ad :)
A family member of mine has a roofing company, pays like 17 an hour. I may try to do that during the first summer. It is not really going to benefit a residency application, but it is good money. I agree though, short of knowing someone, it is going to be hard to find employment for the summer.
Like Phlame, I am not going to take the course and just try and work the extra month.

It will benefit your residency application. Shows you are hardworking, dedicated, etc. My insurance is bcbs, too. I would really consider scaling back that coverage. That is overkill for a young couple.

I agree with Bob on the higher deductible - really makes more since for young healthy folks, though I know Just One has kids so... BTW am I the only one who thinks its humorous that Bob Barker and Happy Gilmore are on the same page here? "The price is wrong..."

I agree with Bob on the higher deductible - really makes more since for young healthy folks, though I know Just One has kids so... BTW am I the only one who thinks its humorous that Bob Barker and Happy Gilmore are on the same page here? "The price is wrong..."

Now your gonna get it Bobby

Last edited:
Bump, a week or so without posts is no bueno!

How goes everyones break? I have been working on 5 papers...

Playing catch up on Molec and Micro labs, and writing papers as well. I can't WAIT to graduate and move on to med school!

I thought the semester ended at the begining of spring break? At least that's how I treated it.

i wish it was so... but it cant.

Congrats on getting in everybody! I'm a 4th year at OSU and am selling my condo so I can move to PA for ortho residency. It has been a great place to live. It is really quiet, safe, and is in a good location. It only takes a couple minutes to get to both the school and OSU Medical Center. Four of the condos here are occupied by med students. Pretty much everything has been remodeled, so it is move-in ready. I remember it was hard to find a place to live, and the apartments that are nice and in good locations were either really expensive, or 20 minutes away from school. I purchased this condo from a 4th year student when I started med school. I think the first-time homebuyer's $8000 tax credit ends April 30. For pictures and information, please refer to the links below. Again, congratulations, and good luck!

http://www.owners.com/OK/Tulsa/WTW5800/
http://greenwood4.blogspot.com/
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/reo/1652551930.html

Congrats on getting in everybody! I'm a 4th year at OSU and am selling my condo so I can move to PA for ortho residency. It has been a great place to live. It is really quiet, safe, and is in a good location. It only takes a couple minutes to get to both the school and OSU Medical Center. Four of the condos here are occupied by med students. Pretty much everything has been remodeled, so it is move-in ready. I remember it was hard to find a place to live, and the apartments that are nice and in good locations were either really expensive, or 20 minutes away from school. I purchased this condo from a 4th year student when I started med school. I think the first-time homebuyer's $8000 tax credit ends April 30. For pictures and information, please refer to the links below. Again, congratulations, and good luck!

http://www.owners.com/OK/Tulsa/WTW5800/
http://greenwood4.blogspot.com/
http://tulsa.craigslist.org/reo/1652551930.html

Does anyone know of good apartments in Broken Arrow...where is the nice part of town...I went there and it seemed dingy...hint, suggestions, wisdom, anything...

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think the bigger houses in BA are toward Bixby. Several of the ER attendings live over that way. If there are apartments in that area, they would be quite nice I imagine.

Does anyone know of good apartments in Broken Arrow...where is the nice part of town...I went there and it seemed dingy...hint, suggestions, wisdom, anything...

the Greens is one of the nicer apartment complex in BA, in my opinion, but overall I don't think BA is a great spot for apartments, probably better for houses.

Has anyone completed their required medical checkup stuff that came with the acceptance packet? if so, how long does everything take, my insurance won't kick in until may, is that enough time to get it all done before school?

the Greens is one of the nicer apartment complex in BA, in my opinion, but overall I don't think BA is a great spot for apartments, probably better for houses.

Has anyone completed their required medical checkup stuff that came with the acceptance packet? if so, how long does everything take, my insurance won't kick in until may, is that enough time to get it all done before school?

The hep B series can take 4 months for the vaccine (initial shot, wait 1 month for second shot, and third shot followed 90 days after second shot) and another month before testing. I did all of the required titers on friday for $140 (no insurance, since insurance wont pay for it unless you get your pcp to code it for a diagnosis). I had the hep B series shots two years ago so I knew I had some time. If you have any doubt you should get on it.

My undergrad clinic did all the titers for around $75. And the community health clinic offers all of the shots for reasonable price, and sliding scale based on income (no insurance for me yet).

I called the lady listed on the medical papers, and she said that we could finish Hep B in fall at school - prob cheaper that way she said. Important that everything is started though - and I was told 3rd Hep B and 2nd Hep A are 6 months from the originals.

Yes, I know that, but I was referring to the above "community health clinic offers all of the shots for reasonable price"

There is too much busyness here...7 days without a post...what has the world come to?

Haha i dont know... right now I am trying to get my finances settled for this summer and a solid budget built, but its hard not knowing about loans and the recent changes to direct loans.

Anyways, back to health insurance, I worked it out and I think the best plan for me might be the SOMA high deductible. One thing that bugs me about BCBS is you have to have maternity for 1 year before it goes into affect, similar to a pre-existing condition, and we wont have BCBS long enough because my fiance will be getting insurance through work sometime next spring.... Anyways, SOMA low option is just too expensive for our budget plus both of us are in good health, so 290 a month will allow us to save alot more money.

Hows everyone else preparing, other than those who are non-trad and been on their own for a while.. haha

When I had the SOMA insurance it was absolutely horrible!!!! We had to fight to get them to pay anything at all, even though it was all listed as covered benefits. I would to anything else before dealing with them or any insurance managed by MEGA life and health ins company.

Both my husband and I had to have surgery while I was in school, so unexpected things can certainly happen and cause you many headaches and much expense. We lost countless hours of our lives arguing with that company over the phone and had large out of pocket expenses.

*caveat to all of the above*
If you are currently covered by a group insurance policy, then you really need to stay on a group insurance policy to avoid the preexisting conditions clauses. That is the reason why my family did the horrible SOMA policy.

When I had the SOMA insurance it was absolutely horrible!!!! We had to fight to get them to pay anything at all, even though it was all listed as covered benefits. I would to anything else before dealing with them or any insurance managed by MEGA life and health ins company.

Both my husband and I had to have surgery while I was in school, so unexpected things can certainly happen and cause you many headaches and much expense. We lost countless hours of our lives arguing with that company over the phone and had large out of pocket expenses.

*caveat to all of the above*
If you are currently covered by a group insurance policy, then you really need to stay on a group insurance policy to avoid the preexisting conditions clauses. That is the reason why my family did the horrible SOMA policy.
All the physicians I know personally have told me they never get charged anything when they are sick. Sort of like a courtesy/respect thing. When does that kick in cause I could really use it. We took a 7500 (out of pocket) deduction on taxes this year for medical expenses. And that's without getting charged for a second surgery (emergency) because of a complication from the first one a week earlier

Last edited:
Don't count on not getting charged. It is my understanding that it is technically illegal to charge different people different amounts for the same service, so some Drs won't do professional courtesies anymore because they can get into legal trouble over it. I've never gotten more than a % discount from the hospital for being affiliated with them (OSUMC did that for me when I had surgery as a medical student, but then didn't when my daughter was in my own ER). My daughter's medical expenses in 2009 were approx $250k (I am not kidding!). Nobody gave us a discount of any kind even though I am a physician... fortunately we had good ins coverage.

well i guess its better to learn about soma now but we're up a tree.

I am not worried about a larger deductible, and we arn't planning on kids anytime soon but I want to have the coverage there if something were to occur. Would you recommend any policy? We wont have a group policy until my fiance, soon wife, gets a job as a special education teacher and with the with the economy, we dont know if she will get picked up immediately in january when she finishes her degree from december 2010, so we didn't want to take the chance with a temp policy and count on that.

uhg... insurance = migraine

Special Ed is the one field where they probably will be hiring. January start date makes things harder.

We are dropping the price on my house I have listed a couple pages back. $125,000, but the fridge is no longer included. Did you guys get an email about it recently? Just checking to see if it got out to the admitted students...

I did get an email a while back, but nothing recent. Ill keep an eye out.

Just had an "Ah Hah!" moment, since my fiance is at UCO and they offer decent health insurance, I looked into it and should work. its a $250 ded per person, premiums @ 260 a month, has 15/40 pharm copay, 80/20 coinsurance, 0$ office visits as long as preferred provider which they're all over tulsa. This should last atleast until my fiance gets a job.

I just found out I can get back on my dad's insurance as of April 1. He has BCBS through his company, which is amazing. I should be covered all the way through school! Such a relief.

Right now I'm on insurance through AmeriCorps... and it is terrible. I have a huge deductible and basically have nothing but catastrophic coverage. I was looking into a similar plan for the next few years... but thankfully I won't have to go that route.

We are dropping the price on my house I have listed a couple pages back. $125,000, but the fridge is no longer included. Did you guys get an email about it recently? Just checking to see if it got out to the admitted students...

I got the email as well.

I have a question, or more like an advice request. I will be starting this year, so my wife has started looking for jobs in the area. She is a dietitian with a couple years of experience in her field. There are two jobs posted at the OSU Medical Center to which she is going to apply. Do you think it would be inappropriate to email the school to tell them she is applying there and to ask whether they have any sort of connections at the hospital? Even if they do, I know it does not get her the job, but it may at least help her get an interview. We are just sort of in desperation mode, because the thought of moving to Tulsa without her employed is frightening. Any advice is much appreciated.

Marsh, I wouldnt email the school, but I would talk to Lindsey. Her husband is an MS4 so she would def be understading of your situation and might have some ideas or maybe even a contact

The school and the hospital are run completely separately, so contacting the school will have absolutely no bearing. It might make a difference at the hospital to mention the spouse at the med school, though.

The school and the hospital are run completely separately, so contacting the school will have absolutely no bearing. It might make a difference at the hospital to mention the spouse at the med school, though.

Thank you

New macbook pro's are out! Be getting mine soon...

My wife and I have been house hunting for a while now but we're not just real familiar with Tulsa (I'm from Arkansas). We've tried to search for homes that are relatively close to the school. I've found a house that looks pretty nice on paper and in our price range that's in gilcrease hills, kinda northwest tulsa I think. Several people have told us to stay away from North Tulsa though. Anyone have any insight into this neighborhood or any other suggestions of areas to look into or stay away from?

You don't want to live near the school. The neighborhood is bad. You can be somewhere good that's a 10-20 minute drive. Look in Owasso, Jenks, Glenpool, Sapulpa, Sand Springs, Bixby, midtown Tulsa (along Riverside there are affordable smaller homes), or south Tulsa.

Anyone know anything about Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa/Broken Arrow?

June 12th is the next admitted student day! Don't forget, however, Fafsa due June 1st!

Anyone know anything about Ashwood Apartments in Tulsa/Broken Arrow?

I'm not a big fan of that are, but I've never lived there so I can't say for sure. There is a nice apartment complex in Broken Arrow, its a little further out of town though. I think its called the Greens (adjacent to a golf course)

I'm not a big fan of that are, but I've never lived there so I can't say for sure. There is a nice apartment complex in Broken Arrow, its a little further out of town though. I think its called the Greens (adjacent to a golf course)

What is it that you aren't a fan of?

What is it that you aren't a fan of?

just my opinion, but I think that is a kinda dirty part of town. Broken Arrow is a great place, but the nicer areas are a little further out where there is a lot of new construction/growth. I've only lived in Tulsa for about two years so I'm certainly no expert, but my wife and I did alot of looking around when we moved to town and that was one area we were told to stay out of by some locals.

There is a brand new apartment complex at 71st and highway 75, I drove by it the other day and it looked very nice. I think it was called nickel creek or something similar, it is literally right down the highway from the school, nice neighborhood and right next to the tulsa hills shopping district.

Yep its Nickel Creek, I get my apartment May 1st and will be moving in at the end of May.

See me for a referral and we will split it.

just my opinion, but I think that is a kinda dirty part of town. Broken Arrow is a great place, but the nicer areas are a little further out where there is a lot of new construction/growth. I've only lived in Tulsa for about two years so I'm certainly no expert, but my wife and I did alot of looking around when we moved to town and that was one area we were told to stay out of by some locals.

There is a brand new apartment complex at 71st and highway 75, I drove by it the other day and it looked very nice. I think it was called nickel creek or something similar, it is literally right down the highway from the school, nice neighborhood and right next to the tulsa hills shopping district.

So, our budget is for an apartment under $600...We are starting to stress because we can't find good places...this place looks good, but we live in Iowa and can't go there...is it THAT bad, or is it just not Nickel Creek quality?

I know of a good place that is in your price range, however it is on the border of luxury to gangville which is why we elected to pay more for nickel creek, plus nickel creek is brand new and you get a new apt.

Look into the greenbriar apts http://www.greenbriartulsa.com/

They are in the process of updating appliances (they are ancient) but if you can live with that, should be good. I toured them and they are very nice.

So, our budget is for an apartment under $600...We are starting to stress because we can't find good places...this place looks good, but we live in Iowa and can't go there...is it THAT bad, or is it just not Nickel Creek quality?

you can certainly find a one bedroom in a nice part of town for 600 or under. My wife and I got a 1 bedroom in south tulsa (nice part) for 530 and we are now in a two bedroom in the same complex for 669. Quite a few complexes around here run move in specials all of the time and that is a good way to get into a nice apartment at a good price. Around town there are little publishings called "the apartment guide" or something like that and that is where you can find the specials, I think there is also a website. I will keep my eyes open and if I see some good specials I'll send you a message.