OSU-COM class of 2014!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
anybody doing this second admitted student day thing? is it gonna be anything different than the first go round?

Dropped off some paperwork to Sarah and asked about it, she said the same just with new people

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I probably won't be going then. I still need to get my TB test done and send in one transcript gosh darnit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Being a used car salesperson at carmax, is a free tshirt worth 400 or more in sales? I think not.

I know of a good place that is in your price range, however it is on the border of luxury to gangville which is why we elected to pay more for nickel creek, plus nickel creek is brand new and you get a new apt.

Look into the greenbriar apts http://www.greenbriartulsa.com/

They are in the process of updating appliances (they are ancient) but if you can live with that, should be good. I toured them and they are very nice.

Thanks! I will look into it.

you can certainly find a one bedroom in a nice part of town for 600 or under. My wife and I got a 1 bedroom in south tulsa (nice part) for 530 and we are now in a two bedroom in the same complex for 669. Quite a few complexes around here run move in specials all of the time and that is a good way to get into a nice apartment at a good price. Around town there are little publishings called "the apartment guide" or something like that and that is where you can find the specials, I think there is also a website. I will keep my eyes open and if I see some good specials I'll send you a message.

Thanks! What complex are you in?

Thanks! What complex are you in?

peppertree condominiums, 77th and Yale, they run specials here quite often but don't currently have any right now. What is the time period in which you're planning to move down here?

peppertree condominiums, 77th and Yale, they run specials here quite often but don't currently have any right now. What is the time period in which you're planning to move down here?

We are getting married in the middle of June, so if we could get a place a little before that in order to move stuff in pre-wedding that would be nice.

Ok...I know I do this a lot...but does anyone know about Gable Hills apartments in Sang Springs. Thanks everyone!

If there are any current students out there needing to "perfect" their OMM techniques, I'll donate my services as a practice dummy.

anyone else getting shots? sure am a baby about it as I am sore 5 yesterday and a bunch more to go.

I still have to get a MMR and Varicella-Zoster boosters; also, do my TB test! Wooppee!

There are too many good students in this forum...OSU better be proud...no posting in forever...no senseless bantering over even more senseless topics...

Members don't see this ad :)
haha where did that come from?

From a lack of posts i guess...it lead me to venture out to other forums where I witnessed the aforementioned bickering and senselessness. I am excited for us to be in school soon!

found a house on 61st street just west of 75. anyone live in that area?

we made a deal on the house and move in in around a month hopefully there are a few med students in the area. That will make studying easy.

the new appartments look nice a friend of mine just moved in his name is jared his wife is tammy good people if you meet them.

Did everyone get the email about the summer histo course? thoughts?

Does anyone know if you can get the specifications for what type of laptop we are supposed to get online? Does anyone wanna give their two cents about what laptop they're buying?

Did everyone get the email about the summer histo course? thoughts?

Does anyone know if you can get the specifications for what type of laptop we are supposed to get online? Does anyone wanna give their two cents about what laptop they're buying?

I got a MacBook Pro. Just the basic new model. 13" screen with 4Gb of RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. I think it is 2.6Ghz as well.

I got a MacBook Pro. Just the basic new model. 13" screen with 4Gb of RAM and a 250 gig hard drive. I think it is 2.6Ghz as well.

Does the macbook pro meet the requirements of what we need? I would really like to get a mac but I'm pretty computer illiterate and not really wanting to get a computer that I have to do a lot of things to in order to make it compatible with what we're doing.

Any of the new macbooks or macbook pros will meet your needs. I highly recommend them as I too recently purchased the macbook pro 15" with the core i7 and hi-def display. Its kind of overkill but I like to game on occasion and enjoy a little video editting and such.

This is what I just bought. I have used a mac since sophomore year and I have never had a major issue with anything.

I am not going to take the histo course this summer. I need some R&R before class starts. Does anyone know when we will be getting our FA award letters? I know funds are not being disbursed until after class starts, but we still should be getting the award letters sometime this summer, correct?

What is everyone else deciding to do about health insurance? My wife's new job does not provide coverage for 90 days so I am going to have to take it out through the student association until I can get covered by her. It is uber expensive to cover a dependant, but it beats most of the private plans I have looked into as far as coverage for price goes.

I am going through UCO's since my then wife will still be a student through December and then hopefully she will get hired and we can get a group plan next year.

Spouse coverage through health choice (the teachers insurance) is very expensive for a young healthy person. I think it was like $425 per month. You will need to find your own policy.

health choice sucks I have it now and will be switching in august to something else since it is very expensive.

health choice sucks I have it now and will be switching in august to something else since it is very expensive.

I priced our BCBS and it wasn't too bad...you can get under 200 if the deductible is high enough.

Is anyone taking the summer course?

Does anyone know if you have to pay the money up front or is it added to your tuition you pay in August?

I read all of these great things about Goljan on SDN, so I am pretty excited about the prospect of having him as a professor second year. I have heard different sentiments regarding how long he is going to be around. Does anyone have any info on this? I know this should probably be the least of my concerns at this point, but for the sake of discussion I thought it would interesting to ask.

As long as he is around the next two years, Ill be happy!

I have heard the same from students, that he talks about retiring every year. I have also heard that he is a wonderful professor, so I hope he sticks it out for awhile.

How come I'm getting no love on my discussions of the summer course?!

I know a lot of you probably just finished school in May and are taking a much deserved summer off, but I graduated in 04 and only took a few classes last summer/fall as I was preparing to apply so I'm kinda paranoid about getting back into the student mindset

How come I'm getting no love on my discussions of the summer course?!

I know a lot of you probably just finished school in May and are taking a much deserved summer off, but I graduated in 04 and only took a few classes last summer/fall as I was preparing to apply so I'm kinda paranoid about getting back into the student mindset

I just don't think a month long class is going to make much of a difference. I too am a little nervous because I completed my last pre-req in 2007! That seems like a long time ago. Granted, I have since studied for the MCAT and completed a grad program, so I have atleast kept up on the basic science stuff over the last couple of years. But I still worry that I have been out of the game too long. My point is that I am as ready as I am going to be, summer class or no summer class, so I would rather spend my last couple months with my head out of the books. My readiness may not be sufficient relative to those just graduating, but nonetheless, it is as ready as I will be. I trust the admissions committee would not have let us in though, if we were not ready.

I just don't think a month long class is going to make much of a difference. I too am a little nervous because I completed my last pre-req in 2007! That seems like a long time ago. Granted, I have since studied for the MCAT and completed a grad program, so I have atleast kept up on the basic science stuff over the last couple of years. But I still worry that I have been out of the game too long. My point is that I am as ready as I am going to be, summer class or no summer class, so I would rather spend my last couple months with my head out of the books. My readiness may not be sufficient relative to those just graduating, but nonetheless, it is as ready as I will be. I trust the admissions committee would not have let us in though, if we were not ready.

Good point

I still think I'm going to take it if I can

Good point

I still think I'm going to take it if I can

I spoke with Lindsey today and told her I would not be coming to the second admitted student day. She said that the histo prof would be doing some sort of computer demonstration, possibly, at like 12:30 or so. I wonder if it has something to do with the class. Are you going to the second ASD? She said she would be emailing out the details soon if it is going to happen.

The histo course is a :beat: topic at the moment.

If you want to take it, take it. If you don't, then don't. It seems like those who truly want to take the course get a little help from it, and those who take it because they feel they have to don't.

I spoke with Lindsey today and told her I would not be coming to the second admitted student day. She said that the histo prof would be doing some sort of computer demonstration, possibly, at like 12:30 or so. I wonder if it has something to do with the class. Are you going to the second ASD? She said she would be emailing out the details soon if it is going to happen.

I won't be making the second admitted students day either, my wife and I will be on vacation for our anniversary. I would like to be there to get to know all of you better and to see what they say about the computers, but after reading lindsey's email it sounds like it will be as much as a sales pitch as it will be informative and I'm not very interested in the computer they recommend. I really know very little about current computer technology, but one of my guides at the last ASD spoke very strongly against the recommended computer.

If I can get all of the stuff I need in time I am going to take the summer class. I was not trying to stir up any sort of controversy, just trying to get an idea of what people thought about it and who else might be taking it. I have been a stay-at-home dad since fall semester and will be until August, there is nothing more mind numbing than watching sesame street and changing diapers all day. I want to take the class because I feel that it will help me and at this point I probably couldn't tell you anymore about histology than my son. I love to learn and I'm really looking forward to the class and school starting in August (by September I may not be so excited about learning anymore). So, I will quit beating the dead horse. To all of you attending ASD II, have fun and please post any relevant information for those of us who cant make it.

Haha i meant no offense, if anything, meant to be comical. Please dont take offense to what I said.

But its the truth, as it is with anything else: you get more from any activity if you present an active interest in it; therefore, those who take the course because they feel they have to tend to regret it and take little from it.

If any of you have a family and are looking for a home that is convenient to the school, one of the graduating residents is selling his home in Jenks. It is about a 15 minute drive to the OSU-COM. It is in the Jenks school district and is near a good-sized neighborhood pond. The house is nice and is a good price for the area. 4 bedroom, 3 bath.

http://www.visualtour.com/show.asp?t=2148625

I've been looking at laptops and almost every one I see has windows 7 home, but the requirements say windows 7 professional or XP, can anyone weigh in on this, maybe point me in the right direction.

Also, I've read the minimum requirements for the computers, but there has been some talk that maybe we should go beyond that, anyone wanna give their two cents on what might make up a good laptop that will last the 4 years.

I've been looking at laptops and almost every one I see has windows 7 home, but the requirements say windows 7 professional or XP, can anyone weigh in on this, maybe point me in the right direction.

Also, I've read the minimum requirements for the computers, but there has been some talk that maybe we should go beyond that, anyone wanna give their two cents on what might make up a good laptop that will last the 4 years.

Here's Microsoft's marketing schpeel on the differences between the different versions of Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

My guess is the reason OSU-COM recommends Windows 7 pro is for the more robust networking features and perhaps for the WinXP compatability mode.

As for system requirements, hardware has WAY outpaced software these days. Any run-of-the-mill computer today should be able to handle most software for the next 4 years (unless you are looking at hard core gaming or video editing/rendering). With that in mind a system should have a minimum of two processing cores (Core 2 Duo, i7, etc.) at 2.2GHz or more processor speed , 4GB of system memory, 250GB or more hard drive (recommend more if the laptop is going to be your primary computer). Most laptops share memory with the video card, so keep that in mind when making system memory choices. Hope this helps.

Here's Microsoft's marketing schpeel on the differences between the different versions of Windows 7:

http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windows-7/compare/default.aspx

My guess is the reason OSU-COM recommends Windows 7 pro is for the more robust networking features and perhaps for the WinXP compatability mode.

As for system requirements, hardware has WAY outpaced software these days. Any run-of-the-mill computer today should be able to handle most software for the next 4 years (unless you are looking at hard core gaming or video editing/rendering). With that in mind a system should have a minimum of two processing cores (Core 2 Duo, i7, etc.) at 2.2GHz or more processor speed , 4GB of system memory, 250GB or more hard drive (recommend more if the laptop is going to be your primary computer). Most laptops share memory with the video card, so keep that in mind when making system memory choices. Hope this helps.

Thanks a ton, that was the info I needed

Bump**

Happy 4th (slightly early though) everyone!

I went and turned in my physical yesterday along with buying my anatomy lab supplies and am sooo pumped about starting school (ill regret that come the first day of notes though, for sure).

Hope everyone has a great holiday.

Did everyone get the email about discounted anatomy lab supplies? I am wondering if people think they are still good quality stuff? Thoughts?

I already bought a copy of rohen's and a dissection kit. The book has seen better days as the binding is falling apart, but the pages were in pristine condition. The dissection kit was just fine and since the scalpels use disposable blades, you don't have to worry about them being dull or anything.

What are some good scrubs to invest in? One thing that worries me is most unisex scrubs only have one pocket, so I've been heavily looking at the Cherokee unisex cargo scrubs.