OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone have the heart to help me out with the secondary application essay? I need some ideas! How does OSU perceive themselves as a DO school? What sets OSU apart from other schools? Why would I want to move from TN to go to OSU? Anyone got some good ideas? Not trying to be a plagiarizer, just wanting some inside information. Thanks for reading!

I just looked over their website to get ideas.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't give you reasons to answer those questions as they wouldn't pertain to you and your own situation. Don't over analyze the questions and answer them with honesty. They aren't meant to be a guilt trip or anything, the school has to answer to the legislature about the OOS applicant since there is state money going to the school.

Does anyone have the heart to help me out with the secondary application essay? I need some ideas! How does OSU perceive themselves as a DO school? What sets OSU apart from other schools? Why would I want to move from TN to go to OSU? Anyone got some good ideas? Not trying to be a plagiarizer, just wanting some inside information. Thanks for reading!

OSU is one of the few state DO schools in the nation and therefore is more connected to Oklahoma and Oklahoma Rural communities. We have some of the top professors in the nation. I'll leave the research of what professors are here to you.

Members don't see this ad :)
hey guys. I am going to OSUCOM for interview on 9/30 and just wondering what should I bring to the interview and how were yall's interviews if you still recall. I'm from Texas and I think my application including the secondary was completed on 8/8. thanks.

about to submit my secondary to OSU... time to cross my fingers :xf:

hey guys. I am going to OSUCOM for interview on 9/30 and just wondering what should I bring to the interview and how were yall's interviews if you still recall. I'm from Texas and I think my application including the secondary was completed on 8/8. thanks.

Congrats on getting an interview! Do you mind sharing your stats?

You don't need to bring anything unless you have a notable update to your application. The interviews tend to be rather laid back (conversational, non-threatening). Unless they've changed the setup, you're interviewed by a PhD and DO team.

Does anyone have any idea how many OOS interviews OSU normally gives? Or the odds of snagging one of the OOS seats if you do get an interview as an OOS?

OOS interviews are actually numerous, but they don't give numbers to how many they actually do.

You don't really need to bring anything.

My interview, and the interview of each of my fellow students was softer than anywhere else that I have heard. I would anticipate a "why DO" question.

Got an interview invite today! My interview is the 28th. Im OOS btw.

OOS interviews are actually numerous, but they don't give numbers to how many they actually do.

You don't really need to bring anything.

According to the US News "Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools": 376 OOS applied, 36 received interviews, and 28 were offered admission. Out of the 28, 10 enrolled (out of a total of 92).

I don't know how accurate US News is with Osteopathic school stats, so I guess take it with a grain of salt. But I hope that kinda helps :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average time after an interview it takes OSU-COM to give an offer or rejection. I know this is a little preemptive since I have not even interviewed yet but this is my number one choice and my first interview so I am hoping to not have to go to any other interviews!

I was just wondering if anyone knew what the average time after an interview it takes OSU-COM to give an offer or rejection. I know this is a little preemptive since I have not even interviewed yet but this is my number one choice and my first interview so I am hoping to not have to go to any other interviews!

You get feedback about a week later.

They will tell you 2 weeks + at the interview but most people it takes between 5-10 days.

Thanks, I look forward to seeing yall in Tulsa soon!

Does anyone know what the general stats are for the Bridge program for students out of state? My legal residence is Texas, however my undergraduate degree is from the Northeast in Biomedical Engineering. I am a URM and grew up in a town of less then 1080.

I was a bridge student last year, stats aren't shared much as they are irrevelant once you get in. My understanding is they don't really consider numbers as the top priority for admittance into the bridge class.

The bridge program is an amazing opportunity and I would suggest anyone interest in it to contact the school to request more information on it. While busy the admissions staff is more than helpful.

They have sent out the list of students interviewing for the next three days.

Good luck to everyone and I will try to stop by at the interviews at some point though I may not make it to every day.

They have sent out the list of students interviewing for the next three days.

Good luck to everyone and I will try to stop by at the interviews at some point though I may not make it to every day.

Yep, I will be there on Friday. I will see you there. Time to get the suit cleaned and shoes shined.

One more night of work and a day of school and then I am on my way to Tulsa. I can't wait till Thursday. Phlame217 I look forward to meeting you in person. This last month sure went faster than I thought it would!

Todays bunch was quiet... y'all need to be more enthusiastic and full of questions!!! Good seeing people today regardless.

I interviewed today and it was a great experience.

Glad to hear; just based on my last comment you should know who I was lol. Let me know if you have any questions from here on out :p

Enjoyed meeting those of you who interviewed today (I was the geezer MS1 who dropped in to say hello). I hope that you choose OSU. We really have a great student body. It really is amazing how much better you learn when your fellow students are rooting for you.

I have my interview on October 14th, sooooo excited :soexcited: !!! Do I need to bring anything (other than ID)?

Just your best attitude and be familiar with your personal statement and ECs listed on your application. The interview is closed in that they don't have access to grades and test scores, but they do have access to your personal statement, ECs and the rest of your application.

Do students at the medical school get student ticket prices for football games?

Yep;

Good seeing everyone today; much more talkative group today but thats nothing against the previous group. I may not make it to tomorrows group but we'll see.

Had a great time at the interview today. Thanks to all the med students for dropping by to answer questions. Let the waiting begin for acceptances. Good luck everybody.

:xf:Now that I have done everything I can do to get in here I just have to wait.... and wait.... and wait... This is like Christmas to the nth degree:xf: could the next two week possibly go any slower?

Just be patient; the whole game of medical school is hurry up and wait...

Does anyone have any more info on this bridge program?

do you HAVE to be a minority and an OK resident to do it? I know it states that what they prefer but I was wondering if I should still try and apply.

Thanks,

As far as the minority, no you don't have to be a minority (in sense of race).

As far as resident of Oklahoma, it is clear. Either you have to have lived here for a year if you are independent or your parents/gaurdian for a year if you still are a dependent of them.

If you have specific questions and want clear cut answers, just call the school and have a chat as the staff is friendly and will be able to directly answer any concerns.

As far as the minority, no you don't have to be a minority (in sense of race).

As far as resident of Oklahoma, it is clear. Either you have to have lived here for a year if you are independent or your parents/gaurdian for a year if you still are a dependent of them.

If you have specific questions and want clear cut answers, just call the school and have a chat as the staff is friendly and will be able to directly answer any concerns.

Hey Phlame217, I have a question you might be able to field. My secondary application was approved about a week and a half ago. Do you know how long it takes, on average, to hear back for an interview (knock on wood that is the case of course)?

Is there a certain amount of applicants accepted from each interview day or can there be fluctuating numbers? Thanks :D

[My secondary application was approved about a week and a half ago. Do you know how long it takes, on average, to hear back for an interview (knock on wood that is the case of course)?]

I was considered complete on 8/22/2011 and received the call for interview on 9/2/2011. That could vary since I got the call on the first day that calls were made though.

Last edited:
Hey Phlame217, I have a question you might be able to field. My secondary application was approved about a week and a half ago. Do you know how long it takes, on average, to hear back for an interview (knock on wood that is the case of course)?

Not really a standard time frame; it all depends on your application and how you compare to others and also as to when the interview blocks occur this year.

Is there a certain amount of applicants accepted from each interview day or can there be fluctuating numbers? Thanks :D

Purely fluctuating.

I recently submitted my secondary application to OSU. I believe they received my AACOMAS application today. Will OSU send a confirmation email when my file is complete? Thanks for your help.

I recently submitted my secondary application to OSU. I believe they received my AACOMAS application today. Will OSU send a confirmation email when my file is complete? Thanks for your help.

Yes they did with me. I got one from Sarah Quinten.

They do send a confirmation email when you are complete.

Does anyone have any more info on this bridge program?

do you HAVE to be a minority and an OK resident to do it? I know it states that what they prefer but I was wondering if I should still try and apply.

Thanks,

Head's up for those considering the Bridge Program. Just because you meet the qualifications for disadvantage (or whatever its called) does not mean you will be considered for the program. I met all of the levels for the Bridge Program last year and never received an interview, however I received an interview for the traditional program. Long story short, I interviewed, was waitlisted, then finally told I wasn't accepted over the summer.

I called and scheduled a phone conference with someone in admissions. I had met her on my interview day and she was very nice. When I asked her about my Bridge application and what may have been a reason I wasn't considered, she took a look at my file and told me that I had met all of the levels of disadvantage, but my GPA and MCAT were too high to be considered for the program. She told me that the minimums for the Bridge were a 2.5 GPA and a 15 MCAT, and they normally accept those closer to those numbers than those that are closer to competitive traditionally.

I didn't consider my scores super competitive at the time, so I was surprised. My pre-med adviser didn't believe me when I told her so she called OSU and was told the same thing. For what its worth, last year my AACOMAS cGPA was around 3.4 and sGPA around 3.3 and a I had an MCAT of 23Q. So my advice is that if you are near or above those scores, you may want to contact OSU about whether or not you should apply to the bridge program. Otherwise, it will cost you about $40 and may be all for nothing.

I have improved since then, so I am reapplying with a little more confidence this time. Don't ever hesitate to contact OSU. They have always been very nice and as informative as they can. Its a great school. Everybody that says the interviews are good experiences are correct. It was my first interview ever and it really wasn't that bad. Crossing my fingers this year.

Head's up for those considering the Bridge Program. Just because you meet the qualifications for disadvantage (or whatever its called) does not mean you will be considered for the program. I met all of the levels for the Bridge Program last year and never received an interview, however I received an interview for the traditional program. Long story short, I interviewed, was waitlisted, then finally told I wasn't accepted over the summer.

I called and scheduled a phone conference with someone in admissions. I had met her on my interview day and she was very nice. When I asked her about my Bridge application and what may have been a reason I wasn't considered, she took a look at my file and told me that I had met all of the levels of disadvantage, but my GPA and MCAT were too high to be considered for the program. She told me that the minimums for the Bridge were a 2.5 GPA and a 15 MCAT, and they normally accept those closer to those numbers than those that are closer to competitive traditionally.

I didn't consider my scores super competitive at the time, so I was surprised. My pre-med adviser didn't believe me when I told her so she called OSU and was told the same thing. For what its worth, last year my AACOMAS cGPA was around 3.4 and sGPA around 3.3 and a I had an MCAT of 23Q. So my advice is that if you are near or above those scores, you may want to contact OSU about whether or not you should apply to the bridge program. Otherwise, it will cost you about $40 and may be all for nothing.

I have improved since then, so I am reapplying with a little more confidence this time. Don't ever hesitate to contact OSU. They have always been very nice and as informative as they can. Its a great school. Everybody that says the interviews are good experiences are correct. It was my first interview ever and it really wasn't that bad. Crossing my fingers this year.

Were you in-state? I submitted my secondary around a week ago and haven't heard anything for even an interview yet.

Last edited:
+2 just got accepted 9/30 OOS

Good school. More importantly, friendly people. :)