OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
+3 accepted OOS. time to get grandmasters 1v1 now.

Members don't see this ad.

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on a recommendation from a DO. I'm expecting to get it soon though. I was just wondering if I'm getting too close to the too late line since they've already started accepting students. What are my chances of getting an interview/acceptance if I get it in by the end of October?

Members don't see this ad :)
Something like 6 people in my class were accepted from the last interview day in March. Some people will get multiple acceptances and then choose where to go, so the list of filled spots is in flux for many months.

That said, the sooner you can get completed the sooner you can get in the queue.

Does anyone know if they call everyone that they accepted from last week in one day, or does it take multiple days for them to get through the list? I interviewed here last week and am starting to freak because of all of the acceptances from today!

Unfortunately, I'm still waiting on a recommendation from a DO. I'm expecting to get it soon though. I was just wondering if I'm getting too close to the too late line since they've already started accepting students. What are my chances of getting an interview/acceptance if I get it in by the end of October?

I was complete just after thanksgiving and got a January interview last year and had no problem getting in.

Congratulations on receiving your acceptances. In my opinion you will find no better school to attend. If you attend OSU, you will find yourself accepted into a network of people who are hoping that you succeed. You will have a fairly small class size and at least 3 world-renowned instructors. Meek will scare your socks off in histology, but you will know the mechanisms of the body. Besides being a highly accomplished scientist, he and his partner, Dr. Wilson, study educational theory extensively, they are interested in helping us learn and Dr. Goljan literally wrote the book on skin cancer. He is known world-wide as one of the great pathologists. There is also no better board preparation than our 2nd year students get.

How many times did you guys apply to OSU before getting accepted? How realistic are my chances of getting in my first try (interview is scheduled for next week)?

How many times did you guys apply to OSU before getting accepted? How realistic are my chances of getting in my first try (interview is scheduled for next week)?

Most students in the class only applied once.

According to the US News "Ultimate Guide to Medical Schools": 376 OOS applied, 36 received interviews, and 28 were offered admission. Out of the 28, 10 enrolled (out of a total of 92).

I don't know how accurate US News is with Osteopathic school stats, so I guess take it with a grain of salt. But I hope that kinda helps :)

I know for a fact that over 2000 OOS applicants apply to OSU-COM every year. There are almost 10 times more OOS applicants than in state.

Something like 6 people in my class were accepted from the last interview day in March. Some people will get multiple acceptances and then choose where to go, so the list of filled spots is in flux for many months.

That said, the sooner you can get completed the sooner you can get in the queue.

I was complete just after thanksgiving and got a January interview last year and had no problem getting in.

Whew! That's a relief. It just seems like they started earlier this year. It just worried me that they've already accepted that many people (considering how small the class is). I think my stats are decent, but I know OSU doesn't focus too much on numbers. What should I be focusing on since I'm finishing up my app a little later than desired?

Thanks for the replies!

Whew! That's a relief. It just seems like they started earlier this year. It just worried me that they've already accepted that many people (considering how small the class is). I think my stats are decent, but I know OSU doesn't focus too much on numbers. What should I be focusing on since I'm finishing up my app a little later than desired?

Thanks for the replies!

Get good grades this semester and include good letters of reference from this semester's professors.

Congrats to all those accepted! I hope you find happiness in your acceptance to OSU and though I know most of you will have multiple interviews, you really won't find a better home than OSU.

Hey guys,
I have a few questions. First, a little background on me. I am currently 22 years old and live in Oklahoma City. I recently became a paramedic after 2 1/2 years of school/clinicals. I really like the work but just don't see myself doing it the rest of my life. It has however helped me fall in love with medicine and to want to pursue a career as a physician.
I plan attending Oklahoma State College of Osteopathic Medicine in Tulsa. I would love to be able to attend OSU for all of undergrad and pre-reqs, but that isn't looking like an option right now. OSU does have a branch in Oklahoma City, but it is not really a 4 year university.
OSU-OKC does have most pre-reqs needed to apply (the four chems, anatomy, physio, physics, etc.). My question is if I take most of the lower level sciences at OSU-OKC then transfered and graduated from OSU (assuming a good gpa), would I be a competitive applicant for their DO school? Or would the classes taken at OSU-OKC be frowned upon? It is OSU's branch school.

Members don't see this ad :)
You really need to talk to an advisor at OSU-OKC about that. Since it would be an OSU affiliate all the way, I wouldn't see an issue vs if you were using OSU-OKC credits to an OOS school. OSU offers a guaranteed acceptance to OSU-COM if you take a certain path in undergrad and you should look into that.

Accepted!!! Got the call yesterday coming back from my Touro NY interview. I'm an OOS, interviewed 9/30. So excited!!!

I know this sounds silly but do they really call you to set up the interview?? Does anyone remember the phone number? I usually dont answer numbers I dont know and I definitely do not want to miss this call! And wouldnt they leave a message on voicemail?!

It will probably come from the central OSU-HSC phone number which is 918-582-1972. Just as a factoid, the reason that the last four is 1972 is that is the year the school opened as the OCOMAS (Oklahoma College of Osteopathic Medicine and Surgery) which was its name before OSU affiliated it in 1980.

I know this sounds silly but do they really call you to set up the interview?? Does anyone remember the phone number? I usually dont answer numbers I dont know and I definitely do not want to miss this call! And wouldnt they leave a message on voicemail?!

they do leave a voicemail message. I called back expecting there to be something incomplete with my application, haha.

How's the public transportation system in Tulsa? Would I need to get a car to get around? Also, I heard that students having a OMS-1 lecture in OSU stillwater site for a semester--is this true or are all lectures at CHS?

As for housing, where would you recommend for possibly an easy commute (walking distance, if possible). Any newer complexes that have a safe neighborly atmosphere?

Lectures: OMS-1 are having them at OSU-Tulsa which is a separate campus than the CHS and is about a 5-10 minute commute. They should only be there this semester since there are major renovations going on at the CHS to update the lecture halls, expand the skills and anatomy labs, etc.

Housing: there are apartments within walking distance and also some rent houses within walking distance and some students choose to live there, however it is not a completely safe area to live. To live somewhere "safe" you have to live either across the river on riverside (which still can be "sketchy") or south of the school by 5 miles or so.

Transportation: there are city busses but thats about it. You pretty much have to have a vehicle though for grocery trips, get out and about, etc. This is definitely nothing like big cities i.e. Dallas, etc.

How's the public transportation system in Tulsa? Would I need to get a car to get around? Also, I heard that students having a OMS-1 lecture in OSU stillwater site for a semester--is this true or are all lectures at CHS?

As for housing, where would you recommend for possibly an easy commute (walking distance, if possible). Any newer complexes that have a safe neighborly atmosphere?

You don't want to live in Tulsa without a car. This has little to do with OSU and a lot to do with Tulsa.

There is a reasonable large OSU campus in Tulsa, that is where we first years are having our classes. This is supposed to change next semester. It's a minor irritation.

I live in Broken Arrow - a 30 minute drive. This adds a little difficulty to studying. The CHS campus butts up against the riverside parks which are beautiful. Biking trails extend away from the campus for dozens of miles in every direction. You can take a bike trail trip for 60 miles without riding on the street. Apartment complexes line all sides of the river parks. But the river parks are not a place where I would want my daughter to be after dark - although I have spent a lot of time there. The city has worked hard to improve the neighborhood. Certainly Turkey mountain wilderness (2 miles south) is a big improvement from what it used to be. Back in the early nineties I took an afternoon walk there and came upon two men who were engaged in private behavior. This type of thing is no longer common at Turkey Mountain.

Ah, thanks for the info! I suppose I'll have to procure a car. I'm coming from literally the safest city in the US (#1 and #3 in subsequent years) so I am a tad paranoid, but most medical schools are located downtown so I guess it comes with the territory of the profession :]

Ah, thanks for the info! I suppose I'll have to procure a car. I'm coming from literally the safest city in the US (#1 and #3 in subsequent years) so I am a tad paranoid, but most medical schools are located downtown so I guess it comes with the territory of the profession :]

Most teaching hospitals are also located in less desirable areas. I can think of one exception - but if you get accepted into Mayo, I doubt that OSU will be able to hold onto you :)

This is rather personal: do any of you have young children or personally know a med student, who has children? I am wondering how you combine being a parent with being in medical school?

I have a child on the way; but two of my best friends in school have a child (they're married and both got in at the same time). Its been tough for them. There are also quite a few others that have children and have a stay at home spouse. Its difficult, but it can be done.

Anybody else on here have an interview on the 14th? I am way excited to get the chance to interview and even more about the prospect of getting accepted!

I'm interviewing on the 12th and I'm pretty stoked myself. I'm a reapplicant so I'm hoping to avoid the waiting game this year!

I will warn you all, us 2nd years are amidst a stressful test block; As of tomorrow, we have 5 tests and 2 quizzes in 7 days. We usually try to stop by and say hi at interview breaks, but I and others may not make it by.

Good luck on interviews, stay relaxed and realize it will be a conversation, not a roast or interrogation. Be honest, succinct and concise and don't be afraid to show your sense of humor unless if its something you wouldn't mind telling a crowd.

I am interviewing on the 14th as well :) !!

On the 14th, I should be there late in the morning (11ish) because we have a Path exam at 10. I will do my best to make it but depending on how fast you go through interviews and get to lunch, I may not make it.

longroad- my stats are right around yours with a 25MCAT. Were you in-state? I submitted my secondary around a week ago and haven't heard anything for even an interview yet.

Yes, I am in-state. I am from a small town here in Oklahoma.

Does anyone have an idea as to when they will send out interviews for November? My DO LOR is in the mail and I'm hoping OSU will recieve it in-time for me to be considered for a Nov. interview (everything else is completed and has been since july/august)!!

Last edited:
The Adcom meets before every set of interview invites go out so you probably have a good chance of having your application looked at. No guarantees though.

Does anyone know if OSU releases their residency match list? If not, do you guys know how OSU fares in sending their graduates to fairly competitive/decent residencies (in FM or any other specialties)? I know OSU is one of the oldest DO schools and one of the most established.

OSU isn't necessarily one of the oldest but it does really well. We have the highest pass rate on Step II at 100% (only school) and we have people in Mayo and many other places.

And yes they release it.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of your help Phlame! The more I look into this school, the more excited I am about coming here. I'm going to the UT vs OSU football game this weekend in Austin. I wish I had bought a OSU Medicine shirt or hat so I could wear it to the game.

I'm thinking about the DO/PhD program. and Wondering if the school is going to pay the tuition. Cuz that would be awesome!!! :eek: If this is down, it will really make me put OSUCOM over TCOM. I really like the smaller student body at OSUCOM where there is a high faculty to student ratio and it bring can brings quality to student's education.

I'm thinking about the DO/PhD program. and Wondering if the school is going to pay the tuition. Cuz that would be awesome!!! :eek: If this is down, it will really make me put OSUCOM over TCOM. I really like the smaller student body at OSUCOM where there is a high faculty to student ratio and it bring can brings quality to student's education.

I was offered the DO/PhD and turned it down. I enjoy research but not enough to commit 3 years of my life to the Ph.D. aspect in trade of being closer to being an attending.

As for program info, as it stands right now the 3 years you do the Ph.D. work the tuition is waved and you get ~21k stipend for living expenses. Currently there is no tuition for the 4 years you're in the medical side however it is in the works. I was told that if I took the route as of this year (finish my 2nd year then go into the 3 years of Ph.D.) that by the time I got to my last 2 years of medical school they would have a tuition waver in place.

I was offered the DO/PhD and turned it down. I enjoy research but not enough to commit 3 years of my life to the Ph.D. aspect in trade of being closer to being an attending.

As for program info, as it stands right now the 3 years you do the Ph.D. work the tuition is waved and you get ~21k stipend for living expenses. Currently there is no tuition for the 4 years you're in the medical side however it is in the works. I was told that if I took the route as of this year (finish my 2nd year then go into the 3 years of Ph.D.) that by the time I got to my last 2 years of medical school they would have a tuition waver in place.

Yeah, I'm just waiting to see what's up with the D.O./Ph.D. financial stuff. Since I'm OOS, the tuition is more expensive than my Texas schools. So we'll see. 3 years to get a PhD is really a good deal, usually, for Ph.D. grad student, it takes 5 to 6 years. By the time, people finish their D.O. or M.D. education they prolly owe around $200,000 or at least, and it's gonna take time to pay for that at least within 3 years after u graduate. If this D.O./Ph.D. can work, :xf:, when I come out I not only owe a little money but also have 2 doctorate degrees and won't have this debt pressure over me.

Unfortunately, I found out that D.O./Ph.D. program only covers the Ph.D. part, but the D.O. part is all in the responsibility of the student.

can someone give me the secondary essay prompts please?

thanks

Got my interview invite for Oct. 27th!!! I'm so excited/nervous!!!!

^^^^^Good luck!

Hey Phlame, do you know what the Complex step 1 board pass rate for first time takers is at OSU? I know Step 2 is 100%. Also, what percentage of ppl take the USMLE as well, and how well do they do on those? Thank you again in advance!

Step 1 is between 97 & 100% for the last 4 years. They don't keep statistics on the USMLE but the people I've talked with that have taken have all done as well or better than their complex score.

If I want to do research at OSU as a med student, do I have to be in the DO/MS program, or will I be able to do research in one of the labs just as a DO student?

You can research as just a DO student. You won't want to do it during classes however. I did it over the summer.

Oh ok. Is it possible to do research after the first year summer and then continue in the second year? I hear many residencies prefer students to have research experience and publications, is this true?

Well, I had my interview yesterday and yes, it was very laid back and a great experience......the longer I think about it though, the more doubts I have about actually getting in :-( I guess we'll know more in about 2 weeks :-/ Good luck to everybody!!