OSU-COM Discussion Thread 2011-2012

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Oh ok. Is it possible to do research after the first year summer and then continue in the second year? I hear many residencies prefer students to have research experience and publications, is this true?
If you're going to a research oriented residency, then yes, it is.
However for the majority, its just something that helps you stand out.

Well, I had my interview yesterday and yes, it was very laid back and a great experience......the longer I think about it though, the more doubts I have about actually getting in :-( I guess we'll know more in about 2 weeks :-/ Good luck to everybody!!
Glad it went well, I stopped by and talked for a while but path had me worn out... blah. Good luck though!

Members don't see this ad.

I was looking around SDN for OSU's clerkship rotation sites. Other than the rural medicine and FM rotations, are the rest done in OSU Medical Center in Tulsa?

Rural: Durant, Talequah and Enid
Urban: OSU Medical Center [tulsa] and Southwest Medical Center [OKC]

Members don't see this ad :)
Interview is over so now we wait! I expect calls to be made sometime this week though. Hopefully they show some favor for a rural family medicine guy from rural Oklahoma, but I'm wishing the best for everyone.

finished up with interview at OSU-CHS on 10-14-11. I had a great time and met some good people. Good luck to everybody that was interviewing that day.

They do send a confirmation email when you are complete.

I FINALLY got my DO letter in Friday. How long before they send a confirmation email? Should I just go ahead and call to ask about the status of my application?

Just call and ask Sarah if you think too much time has passed.

I interviewed at OSU last week. The interviewers were friendly and asked good questions. It was very conversational. They wanted to know why I was interested in medicine, why I was interested in Osteopathic medicine, and why Oklahoma State. The facilities on campus were great. It was very quiet that day because the MS2s were busy with exams and the MS1s take classes off-site this semester due to construction.

I wish I got to meet Dr. Goljan during the interview, I totally forgot to bring it up! Is he going to be retiring soon? I really hope he sticks around for the next two years at least :xf:, although I hear he is having some personal (health?) problems so I wish him the best.

Step 1 is between 97 & 100% for the last 4 years. They don't keep statistics on the USMLE but the people I've talked with that have taken have all done as well or better than their complex score.

When I interviewed at OSU-COM everyone said that in order to do well on the boards all you needed to do was heed Dr Goljan's advice. I was told that he may be retiring soon. How do you think that may alter board prep for future students like us? Is there much of a board prep in force besides trusting Pappy?

I'm OOS with several acceptances and trying to make up my mind. I am accepted to both DO and DO/PhD.

Poppie (Dr. Goljan has us call him that) will most likely not retire any time soon. He always talks of it, but he loves teaching way too much to walk away. For him its more than a profession, its his hobby and enjoyment. He is struggling with some health issues but is doing well; We have multiple pathology professors at school and I believe they are taking more of the lectures to help him out but he ultimately writes all the tests and he still does a 1 week board review at the end of 2nd year.

Poppie (Dr. Goljan has us call him that) will most likely not retire any time soon. He always talks of it, but he loves teaching way too much to walk away. For him its more than a profession, its his hobby and enjoyment. He is struggling with some health issues but is doing well; We have multiple pathology professors at school and I believe they are taking more of the lectures to help him out but he ultimately writes all the tests and he still does a 1 week board review at the end of 2nd year.

Does Poppie write all the exams for OSU or the Pathology ones? I understand that most exams are taken in the LockDown browser software. Would you say that most exams are in COMLEX format so students are pretty comfortable when they see the real deal? Does OSU pre-screen students prior to their taking the COMLEX (give them a practice exam and if they don't pass they have to make additional preparations before taking the real one) or do all of the students just take at the end of their second year? I understand some schools do a pre-screening to make sure that most of their students are prepared enough to take the boards (and I suppose that in turn pads their statistics a little).

Poppie only writes path exams, but he contributes to a lot of 2nd year material. Each perspective department head has pretty solid control over how the exams are written in their area. Most choose to give those who lecture the option to write their own questions, but Poppie takes a lot of the initiative during second year and everything he writes is board style. Most of the other professors write board style questions too but not all. Every test administered is in board procedure with no questions, etc.

I am not aware of pre-screening test at our school but I believe we are required to attend the board review that Poppie gives the week after finals. He also encourages an outside board prep but doesn't endorse any directly.

And as far as lockdown, first year has moved towards online tests but so far 2nd year, we've only had 1/~12 tests in lockdown.

Members don't see this ad :)
Oklahoma State College of Osteopathic Medicine 2010 Match List

Allopathic
Anesthesiology, Rush University Medical Center, Chicago, IL
Anesthesiology, OU College of Medicine, Oklahoma City, OK
Anesthesiology, Texas A&M Scott and White, Temple, TX
Anesthesiology, OU College of Medicine, Oklahoma City, OK
Emergency Medicine, University of Illinois-Chicago, Peoria, IL
Family Medicine, OU College of Medicine, Tulsa, OK
Family Medicine, OU College of Medicine, Tulsa, OK
Family Medicine, Baylor College of Medicine, Houston, TX
Family Medicine, UTSW, Dallas, TX
Family Medicine, University of Minnesota SJ Mayo Health Center, Mankato, MN
Family Medicine, Memorial Family Medicine, Houston, TX
Family Medicine, UMKC Truman MC Lakewood, Lees Summit, MO
Family Medicine, Texas A&M Scott and White, Temple, TX
Family Medicine, In His Image, Tulsa, OK
Internal Medicine, OU College of Medicine, Tulsa, OK
Internal Medicine, Texas A&M Scott and White, Temple, TX
Internal Medicine, University of Louisville, Louisville, KY
OB/GYN, Texas Tech University Medical Center, El Paso, TX
OB/GYN, Ochsner Foundation Hospital, New Orleans, LA
Pediatrics, UAMS Arkansas Children’s Hospital, Little Rock, AR
Pediatrics, Texas A&M Scott and White, Temple, TX
Psychiatry, University of Kansas School of Medicine, Wichita, KS
Psychiatry, OU College of Medicine, Oklahoma City, OK

Osteopathic

Anesthesiology, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
Diagnostic Radiology, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
Emergency Medicine, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
Emergency Medicine, UNECOM Kent County Hospital, Warwick, RI
Emergency Medicine, Integris Southwest MC, OKC, OK
Emergency Medicine, Southwest Integris MC, OKC, OK
Emergency Medicine, Integris Southwest MC, OKC, OK
ENT, OUCOM Grandview Medical Center, Dayton, OK
ENT, PCOM, Philadelphia, PA
Family Medicine, OSU, Tulsa, OK
Family Medicine, Integris Bass Baptist Hospital, Enid, OK
Family Medicine, Tahlequah City Hospital, Tahlequah, OK
Family Medicne, Tahlequah, City Hospital, Tahlequah, OK
Family Medicine, NSUCOM Largo MC, Largo, FL
Family Medicine, Durant Family Medicine, Durant, OK
Family Medicine, Integris Bass Baptist, Enid, OK
Family Medicine, St. Anthony Hospital, OKC, OK
Gen Surgery, OSU Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
Gen Surgery, OSU Medical Center, Tulsa, OK
Gen Surgery, Plaza Medical Center, Fort Worth, TX
Internal Medicine, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
Neurosurgery, St. John’s Providence Hospital, Southfield, MI
OB/GYN, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
OB/GYN, NEOUCOM, Akron, OK
OB/GYN, Mercy St. Vincent MC, Toledo, OH
OB/GYN, St. Anthony Hospital, OKC, OK

Orthopedics, St. Anthony Hospital, OKC, OK
Orthopedics, Mt Clemens Regional MC, Mt Clemens, MI
Orthopedics, PCOM Pinnacle Health, Harrisburg, PA
Orthopedics, Genesys Regional MC, Grand Blanc, MI
Orthopedics, Botsford Hospital, Farmington Hills, MI
Pediatrics, OSU Med Center, Tulsa, OK
TRI, St. Anthony Hospital, OKC, OK
TRI, DMC Huron Valley-Sinai Hospital, Commerce Township, MI
TRI, St. Anthony Hospital, OKC, OK
TRI, Wellington Regional MC, Wellington, FL
Urology, WVSOM Charleston Area MC, Charleston, WV

Looking at this makes me wonder if there's less opportunity for surgical-related residencies or maybe the majority of OSU students have a strong preference for family/internal medicine. I am unsure whether or not I want to specialize but would like to keep the doors open... anyone have thoughts on this?

Attachments

• OSUCOM Match List 2006.pdf
    40.9 KB · Views: 68
  • OSUCOM Match List 2007.pdf
    43.6 KB · Views: 36
  • OSUCOM Match List 2008.pdf
    30.9 KB · Views: 68
Looking at this makes me wonder if there's less opportunity for surgical-related residencies or maybe the majority of OSU students have a strong preference for family/internal medicine. I am unsure whether or not I want to specialize but would like to keep the doors open... anyone have thoughts on this?

Compared to other DO schools, the list looks very impressive. I think most students have a preference for family/internal medicine. OSU Tulsa has quite a few surgical residencies, and although it might not be true, but going to OSUCOM might give you an advantage because you'll have plenty of chances to do audition rotations. Bottom line, I don't think going to OSU will hinder your chances of specialization.

Its a preference thing, not an opportunity thing that relates to the low surgical percentage.

A good chunk of the people here are from smaller areas of Oklahoma and want to practice Rural medicine in the areas that they're from. It lists them as Family med options on that list and doesn't distinguish from the ones that are going traditional family med.

But ultimately, its you who determines where and what you can do, not the school.

Hey Jaganshi, when you look at the percentage of people going into surgery specialties, OSU is actually at/ above the average. Looking at the general surgery+orthofacial + neurosurgery+ orthopedic surgery placements for 2008 and 2010 (The reason I used these schools is because these are the other schools I chose OSU over):

KCUMB: 12% match rate
TouroNY: 7.7% match rate
Nova Southeastern: 4.5% match rate
UNECOME: 9% match rate
NYCOM: 13% match rate
CCOM: 7.2% match rate
OSUCOM: 10%

Remember, these numbers are very rough, many of the lists didn't have all of the students report, so take it with a little grain of salt. However, you get the idea, OSU does about average in terms of percentages in sending graduates to surgical residencies. And this is knowing that OSU has a higher than average percentage of people wanting to go into rural and family medicine. As the wise and ever helpful Phlame said, it's not up to the school, its up to the individual. Hope this helps!

Interesting. Board preparation also seems pretty good!

Yea, its consistently 97-100%, without pre-screening, so that's really good. Have you gotten accepted anywhere else? Do you know where you wanna go yet?

Yea, its consistently 97-100%, without pre-screening, so that's really good. Have you gotten accepted anywhere else? Do you know where you wanna go yet?
nope nope nope.

OSU is my top choice. I was accepted at another DO school last year and deferred just to give OSU one more shot because I was cut from the final waitlist. I'm glad it actually paid off for me!

Awesome! Nice to meet another fellow OSUCOM class of 2012!

Who called you to let you know you were accepted? I went shadowing today and when I came back (at 5.01 pm, on a Friday, of course!!!) I had a missed call from Dr. Sawyer on my phone.....now I have to wait until monday to find out what it's all about :-(

The call was from Dr. Stuart, not Sawyer....Sorry!

Yes its Dr. Stuart who does the calls, give a call back first thing monday morning. You wouldn't get a call unless you were accepted so just know that.

Phlame is right, Dr. Stewart does the calling and she wouldn't call unless you were accepted. Congrats!

Haha can't wait for Admitted Students Day! Gonna be a long wait!

Phlame is right, Dr. Stewart does the calling and she wouldn't call unless you were accepted. Congrats!

Ok, good to know. That makes waiting for monday a little bit easier :D

When is admitted students day????

I was told to talk to current med students about the needed requirements for purchasing a laptop. Can anybody give me any advice on what I need to be looking for when buying one for med school? Thanks :)

Pretty anything made within the last 2-3 years will work. You want to have a core 2 duo or higher processor. Should readily run windows 7 or for mac be on OSX Snow Leopard or Lion.

Ideal specs really:
2.0 ghz or faster Core 2 Duo, Intel Core i5/i7
2 gigs of ram, ideal 4.
Decent size hard drive, around 500 gigs
basic graphics
You will want to have a functioning battery, at least 2 hours unplugged.

Anything above this is pure preference as some use their computers for gaming, etc.

And as far as requiring a PC: Histology uses some proprietary software for windows but there is software such as Crossover or Bootcamp that will allow mac users to run without any issues. Don't hesitate to get a mac if its what you want.

Last thing, tablets. Histology will tell you that you NEED a tablet. Thats BS. You can get one if you like, but its purely preference and to me its a waste. And no, iPads will not work as a primary computer since they run iOS and not a full operating system.

I have never had a mac before. Are there any advantages compared to a windows laptop? Why are they so popular with med students??

Pretty anything made within the last 2-3 years will work. You want to have a core 2 duo or higher processor. Should readily run windows 7 or for mac be on OSX Snow Leopard or Lion.

Ideal specs really:
2.0 ghz or faster Core 2 Duo, Intel Core i5/i7
2 gigs of ram, ideal 4.
Decent size hard drive, around 500 gigs
basic graphics
You will want to have a functioning battery, at least 2 hours unplugged.

Anything above this is pure preference as some use their computers for gaming, etc.

And as far as requiring a PC: Histology uses some proprietary software for windows but there is software such as Crossover or Bootcamp that will allow mac users to run without any issues. Don't hesitate to get a mac if its what you want.

Last thing, tablets. Histology will tell you that you NEED a tablet. Thats BS. You can get one if you like, but its purely preference and to me its a waste. And no, iPads will not work as a primary computer since they run iOS and not a full operating system.

I second that about the tablet. I have one and I like it, but it makes no difference for histology. In fact, Dr. Meek keeps walking around with his stylus and pointing to my screen and it makes my mouse jump around.

Since I have not taken anatomy in undergrad (physio only) I would like to get a book or flashcards to study up on bones & muscles. Any advice on which ones are worth the money??

Since I have not taken anatomy in undergrad (physio only) I would like to get a book or flashcards to study up on bones & muscles. Any advice on which ones are worth the money??

I was thinking about that as well! Or taking an anatomy class at a CC?

Having no preexposure to anatomy is going to be a pretty rough bump, however undergrad anatomy is a lot of bones and muscles whereas med school is nerve/artery/tendon and a little of muscle and bone.

Its up to you what you want to do, but its guaranteed to only be a drop in the bucket in the long run.

You are entirely correct to be concerned about this. You can get Netter's flash cards. I wish someone had told me about how to get some introduction to anatomy. There is a video series at school which is an incredible introduction. I will get its name for you. After you watch it, you can get Netter's flash cards and Netter's smart phone app.

You are entirely correct to be concerned about this. You can get Netter's flash cards. I wish someone had told me about how to get some introduction to anatomy. There is a video series at school which is an incredible introduction. I will get its name for you. After you watch it, you can get Netter's flash cards and Netter's smart phone app.

Thank you! Is the video series through OSU?

Thank you! Is the video series through OSU?
.Acland's DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy & Cross-Sectional Navigator. is on reserve for current students at the library. It costs $168 from Amazon. That's pretty expensive, but I just bought it myself anyway.:eek:

I had no experience with anatomy beyond 6th grade health class. None of my undergrad classes touched it, so I have really had to struggle in it. I hope that everyone gets at least a cursory feel for anatomy before starting medical school. You don't have to memorize the branches of the internal carotid, (you will do that during the semester), but it might not be a bad idea to have a general idea what the carotid is. You don't need to know the three parts of the duodenum, but it might help to know that it is the first part of the small intestine. You don't have to know the layers of the esophagus, but it might be useful to know the difference between the esophagus and the trachea.

In other words, don't sweat the details. You will memorize them during the semester, but do have a general feel for the body and where things are.

Last edited:
Thanks for the insight! I am planning on doing some of the studying from here on out until next August.....that's the plan at least :p

Thanks for the insight! I am planning on doing some of the studying from here on out until next August.....that's the plan at least :p

Note that my advice is completely contrary to what everyone else will tell you, which is to "enjoy your summer and don't worry about studying for medical school till you get there." I am giving you advice that 99.9999% of people will tell you is wrong. My experience is contrary to what everyone else says. I wish that I had watched the videos and browsed around youtube for anatomical development videos.

What's OSU's curriculum like? Are all the basic sciences taken at the same time--like histology, biochem, and anatomy together? Or are they taken one at a time as 6-week courses.

Thanks!

What's OSU's curriculum like? Are all the basic sciences taken at the same time--like histology, biochem, and anatomy together? Or are they taken one at a time as 6-week courses.

Thanks!

The first 4 courses are OMM, Biochem, Anatomy, and Histology. Biochem is very similar to undergrad Biochem, just with a medical/clinical focus. Most people don't consider it difficult. Histology is very in depth and requires significant study time. That course and Anatomy keep most of us occupied and sleepless. OMM is a fun and is a mostly a clinical-skills course. Within weeks you will be treating your family. I cured my daughters headache last night in three minutes. All of the courses are concurrent fall semester courses.

Just got a call inviting me to an interview.

OOS 28P 3.8gpa

Last edited:
The first 4 courses are OMM, Biochem, Anatomy, and Histology. Biochem is very similar to undergrad Biochem, just with a medical/clinical focus. Most people don't consider it difficult. Histology is very in depth and requires significant study time. That course and Anatomy keep most of us occupied and sleepless. OMM is a fun and is a mostly a clinical-skills course. Within weeks you will be treating your family. I cured my daughters headache last night in three minutes. All of the courses are concurrent fall semester courses.

Thanks for the reply! I'm so excited about OMM! I've heard good stories about it. Hopefully I get accepted so I can learn it! Sounds like a tough semester though.

.Acland’s DVD Atlas of Human Anatomy & Cross-Sectional Navigator. is on reserve for current students at the library. It costs $168 from Amazon. That's pretty expensive, but I just bought it myself anyway.:eek:

I had no experience with anatomy beyond 6th grade health class. None of my undergrad classes touched it, so I have really had to struggle in it. I hope that everyone gets at least a cursory feel for anatomy before starting medical school. You don't have to memorize the branches of the internal carotid, (you will do that during the semester), but it might not be a bad idea to have a general idea what the carotid is. You don't need to know the three parts of the duodenum, but it might help to know that it is the first part of the small intestine. You don't have to know the layers of the esophagus, but it might be useful to know the difference between the esophagus and the trachea.

In other words, don't sweat the details. You will memorize them during the semester, but do have a general feel for the body and where things are.

I just discovered that this video series is online at
http://medlib.bu.edu/video-acland/content_main_1.htm
If you watch these videos enough times to memorize them, you will be ready for anatomy.