OSU or UNE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Atlas

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm an Illinois resident. Which school would I have a better shot at admission based on my geographic location, Oklahoma State or New England? I know this is tough to answer, but please give your thoughts.

Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Probably New England. They give SOME prefrence to state res but Oklahoma saves 75 out of 88 positions for state res. To get accepted to either from out of state means you need to quite a bit better than their average admit student.

I would recomend applying to other schools too.

Thanks. I'm applying to a variety of schools, but I'm having to decide between the two. I have received info from both schools, and I liked OSU better based on my initial observations. I have UNE down as my 8th school, but I'm starting to think I might actually have a better shot at OSU because I live in the same geographic area (as opposed to Maine and the New England area). I'm sticking to my guns and UNE for now. Anyone else have a suggestion? Thanks again for you reply.

Atlas

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the impression that UNE was more receptive to out of state students of the two schools you are considering. However, I think they clearly give preference to NE residents, so as you already know apply to a wide range of schools. Sometimes you might be surprised who you hear from. Specific to UNE, however, check out all their course requirements. I made the mistake of applying there just before they made a class I hadn't taken (maybe biochemistry? I don't remember for sure) a requirement. Good luck to a fellow Illinois resident!

Thanks Claymore,

I figured UNE was a little more receptive since it is a private school. I thought I remembered reading that students have come from as far away as California...that's why I figured I had somewhat of a shot at UNE. That sucks that OSU isn't as out-of-state friendly because from the looks of their program, they've got an awesome school. So, does UNE have any "hidden" requirements that you know about? I really liked the looks of their school as well, but Maine is kind of far for me...much farther than Tulsa. I figured I would at least apply and then worry about that stuff IF I was lucky enough to get an interview or an acceptance. Thanks for your feedback. Gotta run!

True...OSU doesn't hold many spots for out-of-staters, but that doesn't mean that you shouldn't try for it. Its a great school and it can't hurt to try.

Atlas,
Yes OSU-COM gives more preference to Residents of Oklahoma and also Residents of Arkansas. This is due to the fact that OSU-COM is among the only few state Osteopathic schools. But don't let that bug you. As the saying goes, "there is no Harm in trying". Moreoever, like the other posts stressed, apply to as many schools as you can.
GOOD-LUCK.

Thank you for your replies

Atlas ,
You are welcome....... GOOD LUCK