OT: Car Insurance, Rear-End Settlements, NY

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So you not only lied to the cops, but you committed insurance fraud? Epic. That's gotta be worth a whole round for everyone.

The cops wrote the ticket to the other guy. The car accident wasn't my fault so the other guy's insurance got me a new car. No fraud.

And techinically it was his fault...whoever hits the other person in the back is ALWAYS at fault...His car hit me in the back...so it's his fault and his insurance paid for my car.

Members don't see this ad.

So you not only lied to the cops, but you committed insurance fraud? Epic. That's gotta be worth a whole round for everyone.

Lies to the cops? Check.
Committed fraud? Check.
Proud of it? Check.
Posts about it online for the world to see? Check.

You drinkers have got to be trashed by now...

The cops wrote the ticket to the other guy. The car accident wasn't my fault so the other guy's insurance got me a new car. No fraud.

And techinically it was his fault...whoever hits the other person in the back is ALWAYS at fault...His car hit me in the back...so it's his fault and his insurance paid for my car.

Not exactly. In my accident, there are 2 separate accidents. #2 driver who hit #1 driver is at fault for damage to car #1. And #5 driver who hit me, causing me to hit #3, causing #3 to hit #2 is at fault for damage to those cars.

Whoever is in the back is NOT ALWAYS at fault. If the person in the front was moving backwards, then they are at fault. If the person in the front merged unsafely in front of someone else while the car in the back is accelerating, fault is usually shared or it's due to person in front.

Members don't see this ad :)
Don't you have under-insured motorist coverage?

I have under-insured motorist coverage (and uninsured coverage too) that would pay my damages in a situation like this. Then it would be up to my insurance company to sue the other company to recover their costs.

The problem with trying to sue the other driver is that 1) Sparda will have to pay his attorney 30 to 40% of what he recovers (if anything) and 2) the other driver may be uncollectable (if they can't pay or if they declare bankruptcy).

Gotta check with my mom about the under-insured motorist coverage. Me and the lawyer agreed to 33%.

Lies to the cops? Check.
Committed fraud? Check.
Proud of it? Check.

A small fib yes. No fraud. Of course not!

And #5 driver who hit me, causing me to hit #3, causing #3 to hit #2 is at fault for damage to those cars.

Is this true? How fast was he going? Damn.

My last car accident was in stop and go traffic! I hate it!

Car #1: STOP due to traffic ahead
Car #2: hit car number one in the rear b/c she wasn't paying attention (ME :oops:)
Car #3: hit me in the rear 10 seconds after I hit car number one.

Werid thing was car #1 drove OFF after I slammed into him!!! He just drove off!!!!

So it's only me and car number 3 (the guy that hit me in the rear).

I told the cops that car number 3 HIT ME HARD in the rear and caused my car to hit car number one!!!!! I told the cops I didn't hit anyone...car number 3 slammed into me and pushed my car forward and cause me to hit car number one which drove off for NO reason! :confused:

Cops believe me 100%. Gave car number 3 the ticket and their insurance bought me a new Volvo. :D

Works for me. I miss my Lexus though.

Wow if I were a cop I would have subpoenaed SDN to give out your IP Address, track you down, and charge you with insurance fraud. How do you live with yourself you scumbag?

BTW, lying to state police is not illegal.

Last edited:
Wow if I were a cop I would have subpoenaed SDN to give out your IP Address, track you down, and charge you with insurance fraud and perjury. How do you live with yourself you scumbag?

BTW, lying to state police is not illegal.

It's really no big surprise....it's kind of her M.O.

Around 55 mph on impact with my car.

That's it and it caused that much damage?

How do you live with yourself you scumbag?

Well having a nice car helps. The cops could have choose to believe the other person. I didn't force him to believe me.

That's it and it caused that much damage?

Well having a nice car helps. The cops could have choose to believe the other person. I didn't force him to believe me.

I think you need a lesson in physics.

1300 kg (approx weight of Camry)
55 mph = 88 km/h = 24 meters/second

1300 kg x 24 meters/second = 31200 kg X m/s

My faith in humanity just dropped a couple of points.

My last car accident was in stop and go traffic! I hate it!

Car #2: hit car number one in the rear b/c she wasn't paying attention (ME :oops:)

Werid thing was car #1 drove OFF after I slammed into him!!! He just drove off!!!!

So it's only me and car number 3 (the guy that hit me in the rear).

I told the cops that car number 3 HIT ME HARD in the rear and caused my car to hit car number one!!!!! I told the cops I didn't hit anyone...car number 3 slammed into me and pushed my car forward and cause me to hit car number one which drove off for NO reason! :confused:

Cops believe me 100%. Gave car number 3 the ticket and their insurance bought me a new Volvo. :D

Works for me. I miss my Lexus though.
Let me guess... the cop was HOT and/or car #3 was a HOT GUY so you used your charms on them and got away with it. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 1 user

This is the one problem I have when people go crazy about insurance fraud. I've been hearing ads on the radio and TV all the time about how it's the crime that affects everyone.

The way I see it, insurance companies are allowed to rob us blind, then when it is time for us to collect, they have all these rules that must be followed.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think you need a lesson in physics.

1300 kg (approx weight of Camry)
55 mph = 88 km/h = 24 meters/second

1300 kg x 24 meters/second = 31200 kg X m/s

Good point. Physics was my worst class in school. What kind of jeans cost you $300?

Let me guess... the cop was HOT and/or car #3 was a HOT GUY so you used your charms on them and got away with it. :rolleyes:

Nope. Car #3's driver looked like a crackhead. The cop was a big redneck. No one was hot there unfortunately.

This is the one problem I have when people go crazy about insurance fraud. I've been hearing ads on the radio and TV all the time about how it's the crime that affects everyone.

The way I see it, insurance companies are allowed to rob us blind, then when it is time for us to collect, they have all these rules that must be followed.

Insurance fraud is when you reported an accident that didn't happen at all to get money for no reason. Or you report your accident at a higher value than it was.

My accident was determine by the cops to be the other guy's fault, so the insurance company gave me money b/c of the ticket written by the cops. That's not fraud.

Don't you have under-insured motorist coverage?

I have under-insured motorist coverage (and uninsured coverage too) that would pay my damages in a situation like this. Then it would be up to my insurance company to sue the other company to recover their costs.

The problem with trying to sue the other driver is that 1) Sparda will have to pay his attorney 30 to 40% of what he recovers (if anything) and 2) the other driver may be uncollectable (if they can't pay or if they declare bankruptcy).
This is going to vary depending on state law. For example in my state FL, un/underinsured is for bodily injury only. It does not cover property damage. If the at fault party does not have enough or any property damage coverage, I guess you can claim your own collision coverage and pay the deductible as if it were your fault, or sue the other party, but if they can't afford decent insurance in the first place, then they probably have no assets to collect on either. :(

"No-fault" also depends on state law. What Sparda said was what I thought it was. In FL we have a separate coverage called Personal Injury Protection for $10,000 and you use your own policy first, regardless of who is at fault, to pay for medical expenses and lost wages. Once again, it does not cover property damage.

A small fib yes. No fraud. Of course not!

Nope. Definitely fraud. The driver who hit the back of your car should not have been held liable for the damage to the FRONT of your car. Because YOU did that damage when you hit the car in front of you. Which was BEFORE you were hit from behind. You lied, and you collected insurance money you were not entitled to based on fraudulent information that you gave the police. :thumbdown:

I am thinking Car #1 might have been a teenager borrowing his parents' car or whatever and did not have a DL/didn't know any better or he/she might have been a known criminal avoiding authority?

In any case, if it were me, I'd stop and sue your ass >_>; I know someone (a girl) who hit another person paid out of court settlement for $100k just because a lawyer peeked at her bank account. The thing was this man who got hit was NOT injured at all; he thought the rich girl who rear-ended him as his jackpot and got a clean $100k.

Last edited:
Lies to the cops? Check.
Committed fraud? Check.
Proud of it? Check.

Drives Mommy and Daddy's Lexus. Check.

Lies to the cops? Check.

I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to lie to the cops. Either way, I've only done that like 3 times.

#1 - Me and a lady friend behaving naughty in my car. Lied about whether our parents knew that we were out. (We were both underage, lol.)
#2 - See #1, except I was 20 and girlfriend was 16.
#3 - I'm walking down the street, some masked guy carrying a bag bumps into me and a wad of cash drops out. I pick it up and the guy keeps running. 5 seconds later a cop comes running around the corner, asks me if I saw a masked guy, and I just say the guy went the other way.

Giving false information to a police officer is breaking the law, at least here it is. It could also be considered false reporting since the other guy got a citation.

Either way, slimy and pathetic.

rude

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure it's not illegal to lie to the cops. Either way, I've only done that like 3 times.

#1 - Me and a lady friend behaving naughty in my car. Lied about whether our parents knew that we were out. (We were both underage, lol.)
#3 - I'm walking down the street, some masked guy carrying a bag bumps into me and a wad of cash drops out. I pick it up and the guy keeps running. 5 seconds later a cop comes running around the corner, asks me if I saw a masked guy, and I just say the guy went the other way.

Finishing any bottles I can find in the condo...

Why would you help the guy get away with it?

#2 made me LOL

It was cool, but later that night, the same robber murdered Uncle Ben.

Finishing any bottles I can find in the condo...

Why would you help the guy get away with it?

#1 - When I picked up the money, he let me keep it when I was about to give it back to him.

#2 made me LOL

Funny thing is no one would care about that now that I'm 25 and the same girl would be 21.

Peter Parker didn't get any money out of it. He just stepped out of the way of the robber instead of taking him down as revenge for the owner of the money refusing to pay him like he advertised.

But it was a new Volvo. :shrug:

It's too bad I didn't get enough money for a Benz. :(

I am thinking Car #1 might have been a teenager borrowing his parents' car or whatever and did not have a DL/didn't know any better or he/she might have been a known criminal avoiding authority?

In any case, if it were me, I'd stop and sue your ass >_>; I know someone (a girl) who hit another person paid out of court settlement for $100k just because a lawyer peeked at her bank account. The thing was this man who got hit was NOT injured at all; he thought the rich girl who rear-ended him as his jackpot and got a clean $100k.

How did the lawyer peek at her bank account?

I thought the insurance would paid for the damages and stuff? Why did she have to?

Everyone lies to the cops. Just like everyone cheats on their taxes. We are just the only ones to admit it. :laugh:

Giving false information to a police officer is breaking the law, at least here it is. It could also be considered false reporting since the other guy got a citation.

Either way, slimy and pathetic.

Again, the guy would have gotten the citation no matter what b/c he rear ended me. If he would have kept his distance he would not have hit me at all and he would not have been at fault.

I watch Spider Man last night...

It's too bad I didn't get enough money for a Benz. :(

How did the lawyer peek at her bank account?

I thought the insurance would paid for the damages and stuff? Why did she have to?

Everyone lies to the cops. Just like everyone cheats on their taxes. We are just the only ones to admit it. :laugh:

Because she probably had ****ty insurance that only pays out like $10k and they were after more.

Because she probably had ****ty insurance that only pays out like $10k and they were after more.

WHY could they be entitle to more though?

I mean I understand if the guy was HURT BADLY...then sure 100K+ for sure for injuries...but just a minor bump with no injuries cost 100K+?

How the hell did they pull that one off?

WHY could they be entitle to more though?

I mean I understand if the guy was HURT BADLY...then sure 100K+ for sure for injuries...but just a minor bump with no injuries cost 100K+?

How the hell did they pull that one off?

It's quite easy to fake being in pain, emotional pain etc. You don't need objective medical evidence to sue someone after a car accident.

It's quite easy to fake being in pain, emotional pain etc. You don't need objective medical evidence to sue someone after a car accident.

Emotional pain? :laugh: Such BS...but good point...it's easy to fake that.

Next time I get rear ended I'll keep that in mind! :laugh:

But right now I live 1 mile away from work....so I drive 2 miles a day (to work and back)...so my chances of getting into an accident is very low. Thank god.

Funny thing is no one would care about that now that I'm 25 and the same girl would be 21.

Maturity. Girls 16 years old are not mature at all. They don't know ****, and people take advantage of this.

Now if you are talking 80 yo male with 60 yo female, that's not a big deal. They are both mature. Your point does not make sense. Would **** a 10 yo when you are 30 yo?

Maturity. Girls 16 years old are not mature at all. They don't know ****, and people take advantage of this.

Now if you are talking 80 yo male with 60 yo female, that's not a big deal. They are both mature. Your point does not make sense. Would **** a 10 yo when you are 30 yo?

Of course not. But I'd probably still go after an 18-20 year old when I'm 30. To be honest though, I'd say the lady friend who was the best in bed that I've experienced, was 34 years old when I was 23 years old.

Um, lying to a police officer about a crime is NOT illegal? :confused:

I need confetti to break this one down for me before I can believe it.

Yes its legal to lie to state police about anything other than your name and address or to remain completely silent. Federal law enforcement is a different story. It is illegal to lie to them about anything but you can still remain silent. The only way someone can force you to talk is by issuing a subpoena for you to appear to court. Then if you don't talk it is contempt of the court and if you lie it is perjury.

Yes its legal to lie to state police about anything other than your name and address or to remain completely silent. Federal law enforcement is a different story. It is illegal to lie to them about anything but you can still remain silent. The only way someone can force you to talk is by issuing a subpoena for you to appear to court. Then if you don't talk it is contempt of the court and if you lie it is perjury.

Source? Anyway, I doubt the law is uniform in all 50 states.

It is definitely illegal to file a false police report.
Lying about the circumstances of a crime is considered obstruction of justice.
While it may not be illegal for someone accused of a crime to say, "I didn't do it" - I have personally witnessed a defendant convicted of making false statements to police and tampering with evidence (along with the main crime they were convicted of [which was murder]).

Now, one type of lying to police that should definitely be illegal and definitely should be met with jail time is when women falsely accuse someone of rape because they regretted sleeping with them. This actually happened to a friend of mine. He met a girl at a club, sweet-talked his way into sleeping with her, and then left her apartment right after they finished. Only problem was he somehow forgot his wallet at her place.

She was pretty pissed about him just sleeping with her and leaving so she called the cops and said he raped her, and then changed her story 24 hours later when police got suspicious.

Now, one type of lying to police that should definitely be illegal and definitely should be met with jail time is when women falsely accuse someone of rape because they regretted sleeping with them. This actually happened to a friend of mine. He met a girl at a club, sweet-talked his way into sleeping with her, and then left her apartment right after they finished. Only problem was he somehow forgot his wallet at her place.

She was pretty pissed about him just sleeping with her and leaving so she called the cops and said he raped her, and then changed her story 24 hours later when police got suspicious.

That's your friend's side of the story. Getting a girl inebriated enough to where she doesn't know what she's doing and then sleeping with her can still be rape.

For all we know, your friend is slimy.