-
CycleTrack and SDN are teaming up to make medical school admissions more transparent and accessible! Read the announcement to learn how we’re supporting the future of CycleTrack’s free application-tracking tools .
You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
OT: Fitness
Started by Dsmoody23
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
Fitocracy is just what I needed to keep myself motivated at the gym. Must... get... 1000 points... and... impress... everyone... Muahahaha!
I had blisters from walking about the mall for 4 hours in my converse. As soon as I put my gym shoes on, my blisters no longer hurt. I guess that means I invested in a great pair of shoes?
I had blisters from walking about the mall for 4 hours in my converse. As soon as I put my gym shoes on, my blisters no longer hurt. I guess that means I invested in a great pair of shoes?
I think I'll have to skip out on this next week's challenge--totally forgot I have dental surgery on Monday 🙁. I don't think they'll let me do anything intense for a while....
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Yes, please take it easy this week guys. Let your body rest. (Meanwhile letting me win by default) mwahaha.
PS I'm hungrylkthewolf
PS I'm hungrylkthewolf
I think I'll have to skip out on this next week's challenge--totally forgot I have dental surgery on Monday 🙁. I don't think they'll let me do anything intense for a while....
Bummer... 🙁
for good drugs and quick healing!!!I've been thread-stalking and since I joined the gym this week, I'm coming to play. Y'all better watch out.
Swimming, if you do it right, is great cardio and very forgiving of various injuries. Our school gym also has a "deep aqua cardio" which looks dorky as hell, but kinda fun. You wear floater belts and sort of thrash around in the water in the diving pool.
Anybody have cardio ideas for somebody with a bum ankle? This sprain is taking its time to heal!!!
Second what neuvaburra said... Would cycling work for you? If you can ride a horse comfortably, I think you could cycle comfortably (from my own personal experience), but if riding isn't good, I wouldn't do that.
Otherwise I'd stay away from the cardio if you can't do either of those.
Anybody have cardio ideas for somebody with a bum ankle? This sprain is taking its time to heal!!!
Maybe the row machine? I guess you have to use legs for that too, but it's pretty low impact.
Chalk up another vote for the pool! And yeah, the water aerobics may look dorky as hell, but they're a great workout that's easy on the joints. However, if you hate the pool and are feeling OK to put slight pressure on the ankle, biking (upright on low resistance), LIGHT walking, and the elliptical (low resistance) may be good options for you. Just listen to your body... If it hurts - stop!!
If you can't tolerate riding with your feet in the stirrups, you can just ride without stirrups until your ankle is better!
I spent almost 2 hours mucking stalls and helping with other barn work today, in addition to riding. Holy upper body workout - it's been a while since I've done more than a couple stalls at a time!
I spent almost 2 hours mucking stalls and helping with other barn work today, in addition to riding. Holy upper body workout - it's been a while since I've done more than a couple stalls at a time!
If you can't tolerate riding with your feet in the stirrups, you can just ride without stirrups until your ankle is better!![]()
I spent almost 2 hours mucking stalls and helping with other barn work today, in addition to riding. Holy upper body workout - it's been a while since I've done more than a couple stalls at a time!
Ranch work is a great way to stay and shape and loose weight. I muck about 25 stalls 4 days a week.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
If you can't tolerate riding with your feet in the stirrups, you can just ride without stirrups until your ankle is better!![]()
/QUOTE]
Yes, an hour of posting trot with no stirrups. That can be your thigh workout for the week 😀
Yes, an hour of posting trot with no stirrups. That can be your thigh workout for the week 😀
An hour? You are a brave, determined soul.
So I haven't been to the gym in like 2 weeks. 😳 Getting back on the wagon starting this weekend.
I have been SO bad at logging my work outs lol I go to the gym every day!! I don't think I've logged them since the first week!
I have been SO bad at logging my work outs lol I go to the gym every day!! I don't think I've logged them since the first week!
Oh man, the thought of being able to log my workout is what's keeping me going to the gym!! Today, for example, I already planned to go to a spin class. But when I realized that I was only 300 points from leveling up, and knowing the spin class wouldn't do it, I came home and worked out some more 🙂
Maybe it's because I'm a huge nerd and have always loved RPGs. The idea of leveling up, while completely arbitrary, somehow drives me to do more.
CFC - Hope your oral excursion went smoothly and that you're feeling better soon!
Thanks for the thoughts 🙂. My surgery was only half a success, so unfortunately I have to have another in a couple months. I've been relaxing and enjoying the narcotics though 😳.
I get to start light exercise this weekend, so maybe I can power walk my way to victory.
Yep, I managed to totally forget to log everything I've done this week. Sweet.
Just updated my stuff. That's the thing with having dial-up - low motivation to internetz....😴
Because of our stupid transit strike (and I am a little bit stupid because I was forced to live far away from everything to save money), I get to go home this weekend, and probably next since my drive is going away for 3 days. I know that staying fit is cool and everything, but the closest grocery store is in a sketchy part of town where people get stabbed on a regular basis and the mall/grocery store in the other direction is about an hour walk from my place. The downtown core, which has all of the coffee shops, restaurants, little shops, movie theatre, etc... 2-2.5 hours away by foot. Uh, no.
The other day, I walked to the gym after class. I got done at about 4. Because of the strike, rush hour traffic started early at about 3:30. So what would have normally been a 10 minute drive home took me an hour. The bus would have only taken 45 minutes, even in the traffic.
I made the mistake of griping about that to my mom. I could hear the loathing in her voice: "Well, you HAVE to make sacrifices." I cannot hang out with my friends, I cannot go to the mall when I want and I cannot volunteer at the vet clinic for the time being. I am not giving up the gym because of a little traffic. No way.
The other day, I walked to the gym after class. I got done at about 4. Because of the strike, rush hour traffic started early at about 3:30. So what would have normally been a 10 minute drive home took me an hour. The bus would have only taken 45 minutes, even in the traffic.
I made the mistake of griping about that to my mom. I could hear the loathing in her voice: "Well, you HAVE to make sacrifices." I cannot hang out with my friends, I cannot go to the mall when I want and I cannot volunteer at the vet clinic for the time being. I am not giving up the gym because of a little traffic. No way.
Last edited:
Just updated my stuff. That's the thing with having dial-up - low motivation to internetz....😴
What godforsaken place are you in that you still have DIAL-UP, woman, fercrissakes!
Late to the game...🙁
How do I snag an invite code?
How do I snag an invite code?
Alright.
For the next challenge, I'm spicing up the pot.
The winner of the next weeks point challenge will receive a gift certificate for the following item:
(It's anonymous, nothing required to get it but an email address, and you fill in the shipping address privately with the merchant.)
7 days, starting Tuesday morning. Free for all point competition. Everyone starts from zero.
And yes, I know the cup is utterly ******ed, but it's a trophy and worth its weight in gold and/or bragging rights.
For the next challenge, I'm spicing up the pot.
The winner of the next weeks point challenge will receive a gift certificate for the following item:
(It's anonymous, nothing required to get it but an email address, and you fill in the shipping address privately with the merchant.)
7 days, starting Tuesday morning. Free for all point competition. Everyone starts from zero.
And yes, I know the cup is utterly ******ed, but it's a trophy and worth its weight in gold and/or bragging rights.
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
THAT HORRIBLE CUP WILL BE MINE.
You mean that AMAZING cup. And it shall be mine!
Just so you know, I plan to be drinking coffee from that cup in 2 weeks time, toasting your failure.
Whatever, old man.
Will it hurt your pride more to lose to this?:
![]()
No, that dude is ripped.
Are you ripped?
No, that dude is ripped.
Are you ripped?
In 8 days I will be that guy.
Thanks for the thoughts 🙂. My surgery was only half a success, so unfortunately I have to have another in a couple months. I've been relaxing and enjoying the narcotics though 😳.
I get to start light exercise this weekend, so maybe I can power walk my way to victory.
Oh, sorry to hear it was only 1/2. Bummer... I'll hope that you heal quickly and the second round gets the job done!
As for the challenge, between yesterday's hockey game and today's Super Bowl party (Go Big Blue!!!), I'm going to need some major calorie burn this week. Thus, there may be a dark horse amongst all you young thoroughbreds.
That mug would make a very nice addition to my desk attire...
In 8 days I will be that guy.
Sexy. 😎.
Is it normal for your weight to go up and down like a yo-yo when you work out?
Sexy. 😎.
Is it normal for your weight to go up and down like a yo-yo when you work out?
Are you drinking enough water, regularly? I think the standard for an active person is about a gallon or more spread throughout the day.
You can burn a crap ton of water between the beginning and end of a good workout. I remember reading somewhere that major league pitchers drop about 10lbs of water weight in a normal game. Equally, if you're adding food or protein supplements to your diet, it takes another crap ton of water to process that and incorporate it into your growing muscles.
If I'm looking to get a real sense of my weight while I'm doing regular workouts, I try and get about 5 measurements per day, and average them. It's usually low in the morning, high at night, and bounces around during the day with food, water and supplement intake.
No one knows how to get an invite? I would love to join you guys in this friendly competition. It sounds like it's been quite a bit of fun.
Sent you an invite code!
I weigh myself every 1-2 weeks (my locker room doesn't have a scale, so I can only use it when my friend sneaks me into the deluxe locker room 😛)
So that might be my problem.
I was 135 for the longest time.
Weighed myself 3 years later and I was 148. The only thing that has changed was my cup size (yay, slightly bigger chest! 😛).
Now I am fluctuating between 141-148.
I am not concerned. Just curious.
I weigh myself every 1-2 weeks (my locker room doesn't have a scale, so I can only use it when my friend sneaks me into the deluxe locker room 😛)
So that might be my problem.
I was 135 for the longest time.
Weighed myself 3 years later and I was 148. The only thing that has changed was my cup size (yay, slightly bigger chest! 😛).
Now I am fluctuating between 141-148.
I am not concerned. Just curious.
Sent you an invite code!
I weigh myself every 1-2 weeks (my locker room doesn't have a scale, so I can only use it when my friend sneaks me into the deluxe locker room 😛)
So that might be my problem.
I was 135 for the longest time.
Weighed myself 3 years later and I was 148. The only thing that has changed was my cup size (yay, slightly bigger chest! 😛).
Now I am fluctuating between 141-148.
I am not concerned. Just curious.
7lbs isn't a ton to fluctuate at that weight.
I probably average 118-119, and can see a 5lb spread, sometimes more.
No one knows how to get an invite? I would love to join you guys in this friendly competition. It sounds like it's been quite a bit of fun.
Sorry about that. I totally saw your post and then forgot to write back, due to the subsequent psy-ops intimidation exercise that followed.
I personally used up all my invites. I'm not sure if anyone else here has one they could throw your way. If not, just go to the main site and sign up. It takes a week or two for them to expand for new joins.
drwildlife - fromthebox posted this a while back. Don't know if it will work, but it's worth a try...
http://ftcy.co/xPcgMz
http://ftcy.co/xPcgMz
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It's fine! I didn't think anyone was ignoring me. Just wanted to make sure that my post didn't slip through the cracks. Thanks to trematode, I have now joined and am ready for this. My roommate and I have had some competition going on for a while. But, we took last week off because she rolled her ankle and I had been busy with my research project. I'm totally going to die this week.
I'm completely fine with the way I look right now but, I'd love to be more fit. My heart is the poorest thing ever. Hoping to be a "completely different person" by the time vet school starts in the fall.
I'm completely fine with the way I look right now but, I'd love to be more fit. My heart is the poorest thing ever. Hoping to be a "completely different person" by the time vet school starts in the fall.
I'm completely fine with the way I look right now but, I'd love to be more fit. My heart is the poorest thing ever. Hoping to be a "completely different person" by the time vet school starts in the fall.
👍👍 Great goal! I had a similar motivation to start doing more running-- I have exercise induced asthma, but I breathe a lot better when I'm in better shape and my lungs are used to taking a beating regularly. No more getting wheezy going up the stairs!
IT'S ON!!!!
I guess I should start weighing myself on the clinic scale. Honestly I don't really track my weight because it would probably just disappoint me rather than motivate me. Plus, if working out makes me feel good/buff/healthy, I don't need to know if I'm losing weight.
I guess I should start weighing myself on the clinic scale. Honestly I don't really track my weight because it would probably just disappoint me rather than motivate me. Plus, if working out makes me feel good/buff/healthy, I don't need to know if I'm losing weight.
Similar threads
- Replies
- 5
- Views
- 2K
- Replies
- 4
- Views
- 907