This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ilikerockandroll!

Reaction score
OUWB
pros: close to home, newer facilities, less competitive, students seem happier and more social, almost a 100% matching, already found housing
cons: in-state (I've always lived in Michigan so I feel like I won't grow as much), newer school so not as established, attendance is mandatory, suburban so not much to do

Georgetown
pros: better reputation, more established, lecture-based, DC is super nice, more extracurricular opportunities, curriculum tracks, affiliated with john's hopkins mph program
cons: expensive living and travel costs, students didn't seem as happy during the interview, older facilities, larger class size, school isn't famous for medical school, need to find housing super last minute!!

help me decide! I also got into Rosalind Franklin, but I ruled that out almost immediately because I liked both OUWB and Georgetown much better. Thanks for your help!!

Members don't see this ad.

What is the difference in cost of attendance? If costs are nearly equal, then Georgetown is the obvious winner.

Go where you think you'd be more happy. Also for me, the mandatory lecture would be an absolute deal breaker. I want to throw up at the idea

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Beaumont is a private program, yeah? So about the same cost as Georgetown besides housing? Any scholarships?

I would go Beaumont if it were much cheaper. It's a top-notch hospital.
If cost is not a factor, or prices are similar, however, I would do Georgetown for the DC experience.

So really my main concern is how important is the reputation of the school I attend? It seems like everyone I talk to assumes Georgetown is a much better school simply because the name is bigger even though the rankings are pretty similar. For residency, does that matter much? I know if I attend OUWB, it will be harder to get matched at residency programs outside of the midwest.

So really my main concern is how important is the reputation of the school I attend? It seems like everyone I talk to assumes Georgetown is a much better school simply because the name is bigger even though the rankings are pretty similar. For residency, does that matter much? I know if I attend OUWB, it will be harder to get matched at residency programs outside of the midwest.
If you want to match into a competitive residency program, reputation matters.

OUWB
pros: close to home, newer facilities, less competitive, students seem happier and more social, almost a 100% matching, already found housing
cons: in-state (I've always lived in Michigan so I feel like I won't grow as much), newer school so not as established, attendance is mandatory, suburban so not much to do

Georgetown
pros: better reputation, more established, lecture-based, DC is super nice, more extracurricular opportunities, curriculum tracks, affiliated with john's hopkins mph program
cons: expensive living and travel costs, students didn't seem as happy during the interview, older facilities, larger class size, school isn't famous for medical school, need to find housing super last minute!!

help me decide! I also got into Rosalind Franklin, but I ruled that out almost immediately because I liked both OUWB and Georgetown much better. Thanks for your help!!

I thought the lectures are only mandatory if you want honors?

the opinions of residency directors may matter slightly depending on the situation - residency directors can see through undergrad prestige (which Georgetown has). I would go where you will be happier, have a support system, and won't be racking up debt

I think this depends on what type of residency you would like to go into. Georgetown had plenty of matches on Match Day 2019 at top schools including Johns Hopkins, Harvard, Yale, Stanford, UCLA, and Duke (including interventional radiology at Harvard). So Georgetown probably has a pretty good reputation among program directors across the country rather than just the Midwest.
or Georgetown grads want those residencies and care about prestige (perhaps a reason that they chose Gtown which seems prestigious due to the undergrad...) and maybe OUWB 4th years don't care as much - want to stay near where they were

But I agree Georgetown probably has a bit more of a national name. And they do have some strengths such as in ortho surg

https://oakland.edu/Assets/Oakland/medicine/files-and-documents/news/Match Day Template Final5.pdf

Hi I'm a current OUWB MS2.

Just want to point out that we've matched people every year into competitive programs and competitive specialties. For example, we matched 8 into Ophthalmology just this year. Also some "big" names of programs matched this year include Mayo, Emory, UMich, New York Presbyterian-Columbia & Cornell, Cleveland Clinic, UCSF, Mass gen, John hopkins, Vanderbilt, etc.

So i think while program name can always help, it doesn't exclude you from getting into competitive programs. Your personal qualities and achievements will determine that far more than just the name of your school.

Reactions: 1 user