OUWB vs. UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAnother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Extremely lucky to have options. I'd be delighted to hear everyone's opinion on it. CA resident. Would like to come back for residency and practice.

From interview days, I really liked both schools. UVM is in a really pretty little town. OUWB is also in a nice area. Students seem reasonably happy. Class sizes are almost the same. Both schools are far, far, (so farrrr) from CA; and both are cold. I think it essentially boils down to reputation and cost.

OUWB is a very promising new school with a strong affiliation with the Beaumont health system (one of the best in Michigan). Although I think the school is gonna go very far, it'll take some time to build that reputation. COA is about $78k.

UVM is the 7th oldest school in the US, so it already has lots of time to build a good reputation. Tuition is expensive AF for OOS but COA comes up to about $82-83k. So $20k more over 4 years compared to OUWB. A small cons with UVM is the more or less homogeneous patient population.

I really appreciate your reading this. Any input is welcomed. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I'm from Michigan and have spent quite a bit of time in Royal Oak/Detroit. Beaumont is an excellent hospital and the staff at OUWB are some of the most caring I've interacted with. I will say that being in a more well-off suburb, the patient population isn't as diverse as maybe you'd like. Detroit on the other hand has some of the most interesting cases and is much more diverse--with that said, Royal Oak is only 15 min from Detroit so you could easily work with that population if you desired. OUWB has matched very well in their past two classes, but certainly their reputation is not as well established as UVM. I can only speak to my experience living in Michigan, so the rest is up to you. In this situation, not that my opinion has any weight since I don't know UVM, I would choose UVM because it's reputation is very solid, but that's a very superficial argument. Go where you will be the most comfortable as a student and as a person in your own life. I love Detroit, and Royal Oak is a pretty hip town now, plenty of the Detroit Tigers and Red Wings live there.

Remember that UVM allows you to do rotations in Maine, Connecticut, and Florida for Clinical Clerkships. Also, for the last year, you can do away rotations in any state other than Kentucky. I'd say you don't really have to worry about the homogenous patient population of Burlington, VT when you have access to many different areas.

Status
Not open for further replies.