OUWB vs. UVM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

OUWB or UVM

• OUWB

Votes: 11 52.4%
  • UVM

Votes: 8 38.1%
  • STOP BEFORE IT'S TOO LATE!

Votes: 2 9.5%

• Total voters

JustAnother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi fellow SDNers,

Extremely lucky to have options. I'd be delighted to hear everyone's opinion on it. CA resident. Would like to come back for residency and practice.

From interview days, I really liked both schools. UVM is in a really pretty little town. OUWB is also in a nice area. Students seem reasonably happy. Class sizes are almost the same. Both schools are far, far, (so farrrr) from CA; and both are cold. I think it essentially boils down to reputation and cost. If you can think of any other factors that I should consider, please do recommend.

OUWB is a very promising new school with a strong affiliation with the Beaumont health system (one of the best in Michigan). Although I think the school is gonna go very far, it'll take some time to build that reputation. COA is about $78k.

UVM is the 7th oldest school in the US, so it already has lots of time to build a good reputation. Tuition is expensive AF for OOS but COA comes up to about $82-83k. So $20k more over 4 years compared to OUWB. A small cons with UVM is the more or less homogeneous patient population.

I really appreciate your reading this. Any input is welcomed. Thanks!

P.S. Sorry for the duplicated thread. I posted in SSD but seems like I caught everyone at a bad time.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm a Michigan native and currently live in the metro-Detroit area. OUWB is a great school and I've herd nothing but good things about it. As cold as the weather can be in the Winter, the summer and fall make up for it. I'm not sure about UVM but I know with OUWB, the school is located in a suburban town outside of Detroit, but it's very close to downtown so there is a bunch of stuff to do outside of school.

Personally, I would go with the cheaper option. Assuming both schools have match lists that correlate with what you want to go into, I think tuition/COA would be my deciding factor.

If you have any michigan-specific questions, feel free to PM me!

Reactions: 1 user
Neither school has a particularly impressive reputation that would give you a boost come residency application time.

OUWB is cheaper plus metro Detroit has way more things to do than Burlington.

That is unless you love skiing/snowboarding in the winter...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you both for your replies. I still have a few days to decide but I'm leaning towards OUWB.

Burlington is a nice town, but relatively isolated, and very, very homogenous.

I'd have a difficult time spending 4 years there.

I think it's also somewhat in the shadow of Dartmouth-Hitchcock with respect to regional reputation and referral base.

Congrats on your options, good luck.