2024-2025 Oakland (Beaumont) OUWB

Started by wysdoc
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Seems like based on last year’s thread there was a lot of WL movement after April 30th so I’m thinking we won’t start hearing anything until then. Also does anyone who they decide to extend offers to within each tier of the waitlist? Because they said each tier is unranked, kinda confused how that works.
From my understanding, a lot of schools use “institutional needs” as opposed to a straight up numbered list. I think of it like this:

Everyone on each tier is basically equally qualified. Any numbering would be pretty arbitrary. So instead, in order to ensure a diverse class and a good mix of perspectives, they try to match the person who withdrew with a pretty similar candidate. For example, an OOS rural health focused candidate withdraws, they look for the closest match to that person on the tier to replace them. It lets them keep an OOS rural health focused candidate perspective within the incoming class which it’s important for ensuring diversity.

I could be 100% incorrect. This is just a p common explanation for “unranked” waitlists I’ve seen and it makes sense to me as opposed to splitting hairs trying to rank basically equally qualified applicants.
 
This makes sense, but makes me worry as a very non-trad applicant. With this logic, if they haven't accepted any OOS non-trads, I'm cooked. This also makes me feel like our acceptance is even more out of our control, and LOIs and other updates would mean nothing. I hope it's not 100% like this!
I doubt its 100% like this, there has to be *some* nuance + exact matches likely don't exist. It may end up as simple as in state vs OOS or just your vibe from the interview. We can't possibly know haha. Even if there isn't an official numerical rank, they still can have mental ranks/ideas.

Also, I am OOS and relatively non-trad too! I feel like we are not as rare as you may think 🙂
 
From my understanding, a lot of schools use “institutional needs” as opposed to a straight up numbered list. I think of it like this:

Everyone on each tier is basically equally qualified. Any numbering would be pretty arbitrary. So instead, in order to ensure a diverse class and a good mix of perspectives, they try to match the person who withdrew with a pretty similar candidate. For example, an OOS rural health focused candidate withdraws, they look for the closest match to that person on the tier to replace them. It lets them keep an OOS rural health focused candidate perspective within the incoming class which it’s important for ensuring diversity.

I could be 100% incorrect. This is just a p common explanation for “unranked” waitlists I’ve seen and it makes sense to me as opposed to splitting hairs trying to rank basically equally qualified applicants.
We should email them about the process lol
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
You guys think there will be movement this week or next week after the April 30 deadline??
I really hope there is movement May 1st since its a Thursday this year and they seem to like Thursdays for giving As for some unknown reason <3 From my stalking of previous SDN threads, last year I think the first A off WL was May 2nd (a Thursday, all were tier 1). Then May 9th (the following Thursday, had both tier 1 and tier 2). I didn't read after that tbh haha
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
does anyone mind sharing how they did on their MCAT? OUWB is one of my top 2 schools! Thank you!
It’s probably best you look this up on MSAR for a better picture/in case some of us don’t feel comfy posting that info online lol (I don’t haha).

If you don’t have MSAR, I highly recommend getting it for helping you make your school list (if you don’t want to buy it, most schools also post MCAT medians and such on their respective websites). You can see the median and quartiles for MCAT total, each section, GPA, and sGPA by school. Also can filter for accepted IS, accepted OOS, and matriculated. I could try to look it up and send you a screenshot for OUWB specifically later if you DM me 🙂
 
I'm on the WL and I am so scared... my heart has been in my stomach all day
My resting heart rate sitting down rn is 104 bpm... imma have a heart attack (its normally 68-70 lol). Last year they started calling at like 2:30-3pm so we probably have time if they even do it today (I hope they do agh). We got this guys <3 If todays not some of our days, there are more Thursdays ahead (if they keep doing Thursdays lol) 🙂
 
My question is, if we are not selected off the WL, are they going to let us know? AMCAS opened today, and I would absolutely hate to apply to all of my schools again on May 28, spend all that nonrefundable application money, only to find out that I may receive an acceptance in June or something.
They likely won't let you know until the cycle ends and classes start unfortunately
 
My question is, if we are not selected off the WL, are they going to let us know? AMCAS opened today, and I would absolutely hate to apply to all of my schools again on May 28, spend all that nonrefundable application money, only to find out that I may receive an acceptance in June or something
I'm in the same boat swish. Tough situation for sure and being a WL warrior is no fun lol. Luckily when you submit you AMCAS application on May 28 you only have to commit/pay to apply to one school. More schools can be added/paid for later, and AMCAS doesn't actually send your primary until the verification period ends in late June (27th or 28th this year I think). So you can delay paying the vast majority of the primary fees until that day without slowing down your application at all. Then when we both get admitted to OUWB with our full rides on June 26, we will both withdrawal our 2026 primary apps, only be down ~$100, and make off like bandits. Its genius.
 
Nothing new on cycletrack either. Isn’t it weird that they haven’t updated their Admissions tracker since February?

I wonder if the 163 number is a positive or negative thing for people on the waitlist? Considering that typically schools send out 2-3x acceptances than their class size (OUWB’s is 125)

I remember looking at last year‘s thread and they definitely got into the 200s on that Admissions tracker.
I doubt it’s positive or negative. I think they just haven’t updated yet but people have been regularly reporting As after Feb. I’m so surprised we haven’t heard anything from the school yet. Many other schools started their WL movement on april 30th itself
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I doubt it’s positive or negative. I think they just haven’t updated yet but people have been regularly reporting As after Feb. I’m so surprised we haven’t heard anything from the school yet. Many other schools started their WL movement on april 30th itself
This is a hunch--But I think OUWB adcoms may meet on Wednesdays, and since a lot of people unfortunately wait until the absolute last minute to withdraw, they may not have felt they had enough info to make decisions quite yet. Yeah some schools have started, but I think a lot also take a little bit to figure things out (esp if they don't rank which OUWB says it doesn't within each tier). (Once again OUWB pretty pretty pls prove me wrong and release As before Thursday 🤣)

I am being optimistic (or delusional lol) that the longer they take, the more people may have withdrawn if they got off other WLs, and the initial release of As may be bigger.
 
No news :/ may [emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]]]][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]][emoji[emoji638][emoji639][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji640]][emoji[emoji6[emoji640][emoji638]][emoji640][emoji6[emoji640][emoji637]]]]]]]] last year they were into tier two. Do we think they’re behind?

I think they are a little behind compared to last year. Praying they are just getting our acceptance letters ready right now [emoji120]
 
By the way - these are some factors that may affect WL movement this month

Straight from OUWB's MSAR:

Accepted students have two weeks to decide.

OUWB can withdraw acceptances for students who select "Plan to Enroll" to ANOTHER school after April 30

June 16th deadline - if accepted students don't select "Commit to Enroll" their offer will be rescinded.

(For some reason typing this made me feel better lol)
I thought the Commit to enroll deadline was June 23rd? I saw that in the portal.
 
By the way - these are some factors that may affect WL movement this month

Straight from OUWB's MSAR:

Accepted students have two weeks to decide.

OUWB can withdraw acceptances for students who select "Plan to Enroll" to ANOTHER school after April 30

June 16th deadline - if accepted students don't select "Commit to Enroll" their offer will be rescinded.

(For some reason typing this made me feel better lol)
I’ve unfortunately learned MSAR isn’t always correct. They say they get the info directly from the school but someone called the office of a school based off info on MSAR to get clarification and they said MSAR is wrong and they didn’t provide MSAR with that data (not OUWB but an example that MSAR isn’t perfect).

MSAR also says OUWB is a public institution, but I’m p sure Oakland University is public but OUWB is private (correct me if I’m wrong lol).

So definitely trust the admitted student over MSAR haha

I’ve given up trying to predict things atp lol. Just hoping for a call one day.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Nothing here :,( Really wish we had some insight, but I am not the kind of person that asks adcoms about this stuff... I have an intense fear that they realized they had a lot of WL movement last year and overcorrected by admitting more people initially this year. Can't believe they got into tier 2 about this time last year and we've only heard of 2 As from tier 1 this year... convincing myself they are just slow this year.
 
Nothing here :,( Really wish we had some insight, but I am not the kind of person that asks adcoms about this stuff... I have an intense fear that they realized they had a lot of WL movement last year and overcorrected by admitting more people initially this year. Can't believe they got into tier 2 about this time last year and we've only heard of 2 As from tier 1 this year... convincing myself they are just slow this year.
let's just all hope that it is the second option lol. they have gone into tier 2 a few years ago as well as last year too so i dont think they admitted more people initially, i wanna say that they r just slower than usual/last year may have been a really good cycle and they were really on top of things
 
let's just all hope that it is the second option lol. they have gone into tier 2 a few years ago as well as last year too so i dont think they admitted more people initially, i wanna say that they r just slower than usual/last year may have been a really good cycle and they were really on top of things
+ the tracker for the cycle not being updated on their website gives me hope that its more likely they are just stretched with their resources rn. Needed your positivity rn! Thank you, friend 🙂