2025-2026 Oakland (Beaumont) OUWB

Started by chilly_md
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

chilly_md

Full Member
Staff member
Administrator
Volunteer Staff
5+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
2025-2026 Oakland University William Beaumont Secondary Essay Prompts: (different than last year)

OUWB Admissions Tracker!

  1. Artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to transform healthcare delivery and reduce health disparities. Considering the diverse population and health equity challenges in Oakland County, how could you use AI in a responsible and innovative way to address one key obstacle healthcare professionals face when caring for these communities? (400 words)
  2. At OUWB, we put an emphasis on humanism in medicine—compassion, empathy, and respect for the dignity of every patient. Describe a time when you demonstrated compassion or empathy in a meaningful way. How did this experience shape your understanding of what it means to be a humanistic physician? (400 words)
  3. How do you identify your own help seeking behaviors and describe a time you were resilient. (400 words)
  4. (Optional): Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
  5. (Optional): Why did you choose to apply to OUWB's Early Decision Program (EDP)? Please explain your ties to OUWB. Please only complete this question if you applied through the Early Decision Program.

Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:

 
Last edited by a moderator:
+1 IS Secondary. So frustrating they changed up all the secondaries and added new ones and I pre-wrote for this school 🙁
Edit: I should have looked at older prompts. Seems like they change them every year and probably shouldn't have prewritten for this one. Oh well, upwards and onwards

All prompts have a 400 word limit:
  1. Artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to transform healthcare delivery and reduce health disparities. Considering the diverse population and health equity challenges in Oakland County, how could you use AI in a responsible and innovative way to address one key obstacle healthcare professionals face when caring for these communities?
  2. At OUWB, we put an emphasis on humanism in medicine—compassion, empathy, and respect for the dignity of every patient. Describe a time when you demonstrated compassion or empathy in a meaningful way. How did this experience shape your understanding of what it means to be a humanistic physician?
  3. How do you identify your own help seeking behaviors and describe a time you were resilient.
  4. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials.
  5. Optional: Why did you choose to apply to OUWB's Early Decision Program (EDP)? Please explain your ties to OUWB. Please only complete this question if you applied through the Early Decision Program.

@wysdoc
 
Last edited:
+1 IS Secondary. So frustrating they changed up all the secondaries and added new ones and I pre-wrote for this school
Thanks for sharing the secondaries, @saucyrabbit
I'm glad you noticed the changes before sending anything in, that's why we try to help out by posting the new ones
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else meet the minimum requirements but no secondary yet?
 
2025-2026 Oakland University William Beaumont Secondary Essay Prompts: (different than last year)
  1. Artificial intelligence (AI) has the potential to transform healthcare delivery and reduce health disparities. Considering the diverse population and health equity challenges in Oakland County, how could you use AI in a responsible and innovative way to address one key obstacle healthcare professionals face when caring for these communities? (400 words)
  2. At OUWB, we put an emphasis on humanism in medicine—compassion, empathy, and respect for the dignity of every patient. Describe a time when you demonstrated compassion or empathy in a meaningful way. How did this experience shape your understanding of what it means to be a humanistic physician? (400 words)
  3. How do you identify your own help seeking behaviors and describe a time you were resilient. (400 words)
  4. Optional: Is there anything you want the admissions committee to know about your qualifications for medical school that are not already represented in your application materials? For example, if you have already graduated, briefly summarize your activities since graduation. Note: This space is provided for new information only, not to promote qualifications already highlighted in your other materials. (400 words)
  5. (Optional): Why did you choose to apply to OUWB's Early Decision Program (EDP)? Please explain your ties to OUWB. Please only complete this question if you applied through the Early Decision Program.

Good luck to all applying!

Interview Feedback:

Any thoughts on using the fourth prompt as a "Why Oakland" essay? Not sure if it fits since the prompt is more focused on my qualifications, but I feel a little weird submitting without any super school-specific info
 
Any thoughts on using the fourth prompt as a "Why Oakland" essay? Not sure if it fits since the prompt is more focused on my qualifications, but I feel a little weird submitting without any super school-specific info
In general I think it's good to adhere to the specific prompt as much as possible. If they wanted a Why Us essay, they would have asked for it.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does the second prompt seem like it has to be about a clinical experience? I’m only asking because it focuses on how an experience helps you become a more humanistic physician, and I feel like non-clinical experiences could demonstrate that as well, but I’m a little confused
 
Does the second prompt seem like it has to be about a clinical experience? I’m only asking because it focuses on how an experience helps you become a more humanistic physician, and I feel like non-clinical experiences could demonstrate that as well, but I’m a little confused
I think its just talk about a time you showed empathy and will you show empathy as a physician
 
I didn’t realize there was a 2 week deadline and haven’t submitted it. Would it be fine to submit a few days late or should I not bother at this point?
 
I just read the email. It still gave the final deadline of December 15 so I think you can submit whenever you finish. It sounds more like they encourage you to submit within 2 weeks rather than you must submit or you will not be considered.
 
Last edited:
I am just speaking out of my head SO NOT CONFIRMED BY ANY SOURCE but I would assume they recommend it because they do rolling admissions?

But like mustravel said ur prob totally fine as its just an encouragement
 
Anyone here from the WL last year? I wonder what our chances are for an II/acceptance this year even with a marginal application improvement.

I'd be shocked to not get an II again.

I know it's early, but if anyone has any questions about the Interview Day, DM me! It was a pretty chill experience overall last cycle. Long day tho.
 
Anyone here from the WL last year? I wonder what our chances are for an II/acceptance this year even with a marginal application improvement.

I'd be shocked to not get an II again.

I know it's early, but if anyone has any questions about the Interview Day, DM me! It was a pretty chill experience overall last cycle. Long day tho.
Also from the WL, hoping for an early II since I didn't interview until later in the cycle last year.

I hope that they have some kind of system for identifying applicants who were on the WL last cycle but I imagine every school does things differently.
 
i received their seconday on july 1 but missed it and just found out. in their email it does say submit it within 2 weeks. should i still do it or did i mess up my chances?
 
i received their seconday on july 1 but missed it and just found out. in their email it does say submit it within 2 weeks. should i still do it or did i mess up my chances?
i came here to ask the same thing, but it seems like theres no definitive answer anywhere
 
I didn't think to write about my strong ties in the optional essay. Should i email admissions or just leave it alone and cross fingers?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
for prompt two when it says Describe a time when you demonstrated compassion or empathy in a meaningful way. If I used two stories and tied them in together for the final reflection, would that look bad or go against the prompt?
 
Is it okay to upload my post-II thank-you letter to the applicant portal under “other” within the upload documents section? The letter was thanking the admissions committee + interviewers. Not sure it says anywhere where to send the letter?
 
So apparently there is a panel interview in addition to the two standard interviews? Can anyone who already interviewed weigh in on this?
 
So apparently there is a panel interview in addition to the two standard interviews? Can anyone who already interviewed weigh in on this?
Also confused (and really nervous now...). I also have "short form interviews" on mine for 40 minutes. Does anybody know what this means? I sure hope it doesn't mean MMIs.

Based on the interview day part on the website though it says each student has 2 40 minute inverviews, so maybe it means one of those is a panel interview?
 
pretty sure the short form interviews are just 2 one-on-one 20 minute interviews as described on the OUWB website
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad