Pacific University, Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys.. It's always good to be optimistic but be realistic at the same time! If they chose to accept or waitlist you you would've been notified by now via email or phone call. If you haven't received either then you'd better be considering other offers. Based on my experience last year I'd rather be realistic that optimistic because I was hugely disappointed after being on tier 3 for 6 months!!

I would definitely be Realistic if I am on tier 3, but youu never know if you are on tier 2.

Members don't see this ad.

I also did not hear, so I emailed Kieran. I also have been denied and will be receiving the denial letter in the mail shortly.
Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.95
2 summers of pharmacy experience

My interview must have been horrible... but I have been accepted elsewhere, and am interviewing at Montana on the 17th. Good luck to all of you!

I know that I have been denied and my interview must have been extremely horrible as well. Fortunately, I was mentally prepared to accept this predicament. Congrats to those who were accepted and good luck anyone who is on tiers. :)

I would definitely be Realistic if I am on tier 3, but youu never know if you are on tier 2.

I agree with you, I've posted here before that the chances in my opinion is 80% for Tier 1, 50-60% for tier 2, and 5% for Tier 3... I said be realistic for the people who haven't received an email/phone call... I just don't want them to have high hopes because I know how hard is it to keep waiting for something!

Members don't see this ad :)
I also did not hear, so I emailed Kieran. I also have been denied and will be receiving the denial letter in the mail shortly.
Stats:
Overall GPA: 3.94
Science GPA: 3.95
2 summers of pharmacy experience

My interview must have been horrible... but I have been accepted elsewhere, and am interviewing at Montana on the 17th. Good luck to all of you!

I am absolutely shocked you were denied with that GPA but i am glad you're accepted elsewhere! Congrats and good luck. I havent yet gotten an acceptance from any school I interviewed at... just waitlisted here and thats about it

Originally, I was in the Portland area at the end of July visiting friends and took a trip to Pacific to meet with Kieran and tour the campus. It was a great opportunity and I'm very glad I made the time to visit as I felt very prepared for the application and interview processes.

I interviewed on November 19th and received a call from Kieran on November 23rd with an offer of acceptance. I sent in my deposit and did the background check and drug test and all is well. The only information I have received since then is an e-mail about vaccination requirements. Hopefully, we'll be receiving other information such as laptop requirements soon. I thought I'd share the link I found for housing information. It is old (2006) but some may find it a helpful place to start: http://www.pacificu.edu/hpc/Housing Inventory.pdf

I look forward to meeting everybody in August!

For the accepted applicants who got their offers last Thursday, when is the deadline for accepting or declining the offer (and the deposit)?

For the accepted applicants who got their offers last Thursday, when is the deadline for accepting or declining the offer (and the deposit)?

It is March 15 and the deposit is 1000 dollar. I sent mine in today. And I am excited and absolutely terrified! Im moving from far away so the prospect is very daunting. Also Ive never taken out a loan before so that is scary as well :scared:

Last edited:
Tier 1, hoping to hear from Kieran soon :xf:

Tier 1, hoping to hear from Kieran soon :xf:

We should hear back from her few days after the deadline which is the 15... So I expect around 3/20 we'll receive the first update. I'm in tier one as well

We should hear back from her few days after the deadline which is the 15... So I expect around 3/20 we'll receive the first update. I'm in tier one as well

What was your interview day? This is the first and only school I applied to, how about yourself?

What was your interview day? This is the first and only school I applied to, how about yourself?

It was the last interview day, on 2/25. I'm waitlisted in Utah and still waiting to hear back from Oregon State... Should hear back from them next week

I sent in my decline of admission yesterday, good luck to whomever gets my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my decline of admission yesterday, good luck to whomever gets my spot!
Wow! Impressive, you've been accepted to many schools, congrats! Was curious what school you will be attending or what is your prefer school? Still waiting for Pacific to get back to me:(

Thanks Tafee, do you prefer one over the other?

Congrats, MissYuk and thanks for making more room for us in Tier 1!

Rx - are you waitlisted? If so, what Tier are you on?

No word yet for me, didn't want to contact her yet...they're probably reviewing Tier 1 now.

Just withdrew my app since I got into another program. I was in Tier 2, probably does not matter that much now...

Good luck all!

I was at the 3rd interview date and got waitlisted...
A week after the 4th interview I got an acceptance!

Hang in there!

Good luck all!

I was at the 3rd interview date and got waitlisted...
A week after the 4th interview I got an acceptance!

Hang in there!

Just to clarify, you weren't waitlisted, you were on committee hold. They put everyone from the 3rd interview on committee hold until after the 4th interview date, and discussed the applicants from those two dates together.

So, does anyone know what happens on the waitlist? Do you proceed as though you are accepted? Do you go to orientation? Should you get intern licenses? Financial aid? I'm just thinking of the stories of people being offered a seat two days before class starts, how could you make that work? How would you pay for it? What if you've already paid tuition to another school?

ahh my apologies, I ment to say committee hold!

Just to clarify, you weren't waitlisted, you were on committee hold. They put everyone from the 3rd interview on committee hold until after the 4th interview date, and discussed the applicants from those two dates together.

So, does anyone know what happens on the waitlist? Do you proceed as though you are accepted? Do you go to orientation? Should you get intern licenses? Financial aid? I'm just thinking of the stories of people being offered a seat two days before class starts, how could you make that work? How would you pay for it? What if you've already paid tuition to another school?

Short answer: no to it all. All you do if you're on the wait list is wait and pray you get accepted somewhere else.

You can't pay a deposit or tuition to a school you aren't matriculating with. If you've paid tuition already somewhere else, it should partly be refundable. Your intern license depends on what seat. So this means no financial aid at that school (which is just loans anyways) and no orientation.

does that mean my chances are better since they are already pulling off candidates from the Tier 1? heheh I am on Tier 2

Hi, I was wondering that since this school has a pass/no pass system, would the students be at a disadvantage when applying for residencies after graduating? I heard that residencies prefer to see specific grades rather than pass/no pass. Thanks!

Hi, I was wondering that since this school has a pass/no pass system, would the students be at a disadvantage when applying for residencies after graduating? I heard that residencies prefer to see specific grades rather than pass/no pass. Thanks!

That's a good question. I have no idea but my interviewer told me it was around a 25% chance of their students of being admitted to a residency.

That's a good question. I have no idea but my interviewer told me it was around a 25% chance of their students of being admitted to a residency.

At my interview they said 25% apply for residencies, and of that 25%, 60% get a residency. They also said that since you don't have a GPA, you have to get really involved in volunteer work and other extracurriculars to really set yourself apart from other stud

Last edited:
i am in tier 2. i got a email said they begun accept people from tier 1 now. but not finish tier 1 yet! once they finish the tier 1 they will stat tier 2. they still say aroung 75 candidates in the waitlist!

Hey guys, I don't know if anyone at your interview asked what the pass rate on the NAPLEX was, but at my interview, on 2/25, we were told it was a comfortable 95%. I did some research, and I did not find the same number. Sure, the first year was 95, but then it goes down. 91 and 92%. http://www.nabp.net/programs/assets/NAPLEX passing rates.pdf

Have to say I am not comfortable being lied to...

Does this scare anyone else about the program? Make you wonder what else they fudged? Like job placement, residency rates, graduation and pass rates? I have already given Pacific my money and withdrawn my acceptances from other schools, so I am stuck. But for those of you who have other opportunities, you might want to do some research. Or make me feel better.

Also, Pacific is not even ranked. Their score was too pitiful to publish. If you read the article, it basically means that the academic community looks down on this university. Something to think about when you are competing with other Pharm D's for jobs...
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankings...-schools/top-health-schools/pharmacy-rankings

I actually don't recall any of the numbers we were told at interview day.. but I could see how them lying about their numbers make you feel uncomfortable about their program. However, I think in the bigger scheme of things, the Naplex pass rate of 91-95% pass rate is still pretty good. There are some schools with even lower pass rates..

Regarding the rankings, I really don't think there is much of a negative stigma to not being ranked. It appears that the way the rankings are done is really based upon how "famous" a school is in the pharmacy world, since it is done by peer assessment by the deans, administrators, & faculty at the different schools. Having no rank could simply mean that the school is still relatively new & unknown by most of the pharmacy world. Considering Pacific only opened its pharmacy school in 2006, I'm not really surprised that there wouldn't be a ranking. In addition, there are plenty of other pharmacy schools without rank too. While it may appear to have some benefit going to a school that is ranked in the Top 10 or so, there probably isn't any major downside to attending a school that isn't ranked. A PharmD is a still a PharmD and I think your experiences would have a higher impact in getting you a job than the school you attended.

Ultimately, I really think that you'll get what you put into it. At least, that's what I'm banking on for the next 3 years at Pacific. :D Hopefully, I helped to alleviate some of your worries? I tried XD

I actually asked my interviewer this specific question during my interview and he said that on average, they have about the same percent of students obtaining a residency as other schools with the grading system. He did admit at if the residency largely relied on grades a determining factor for selecting candidates however, that yes, we would be at a huge disadvantage. I think he also said that the best the school could do about your academics was a letter stating that all classes completed were based on a 90% passing standard, but of course, it's up to the people in charge of selecting the residency candidates how they view that. Your best bet to obtain a residency if attending Pacific would be to become as involved as possible as psychgirl mentioned previously.

-----

Also, congrats to everyone who got in~
Facebook group for Class of 2015: http://www.facebook.com/groups/203057703062505/

Thanks sanyu. Those rankings are weird to me since they are based on a peer review system, and UH Hilo is ranked 74, and they have only graduated one class, with a pass rate of 80%. Go figure? Also, some other schools that aren't ranked, such as Belmont, seemed liked great schools when I interviewed and looked at their stats.

Other than that, I loved my interview experience and was very excited about Pacific when I got home. I like the idea of the block system, the faculty seemed very involved and helpful, and I love the idea of working in groups, especially since I won't know anyone. I really hope that the schools turns out to be what I originally thought it would be. Guess I will find out in the Fall : )

Last edited:
Thanks sanyu. Those rankings are weird to me since they are based on a peer review system, and UH Hilo is ranked 74, and they have only graduated one class, with a pass rate of 80%. Go figure? Also, some other schools that aren't ranked, such as Belmont, seemed liked great schools when I interviewed and looked at their stats. I guess it just concerns me that they aren't well known, because I probably won't stay in Oregon forever, and it concerns me that I was lied to at the interview.

Other than that, I loved my interview experience and was very excited about Pacific when I got home. I like the idea of the block system, the faculty seemed very involved and helpful, and I love the idea of working in groups, especially since I won't know anyone. I really hope that the schools turns out to be what I originally thought it would be. Guess I will find out in the Fall : )

Hahah no worries, I don't plan on staying in Oregon either. I'm going straight back to Cali if I can lolol. Although I'll probably end up somewhere in the ghettos trying to get experience before I can be more selective about my job XD

But yeah, I'm looking forward to attending Pacific in the Fall. Hopefully, all our worries will be for naught & we'll have a good time there~ :xf:

Greetings all,

May I ask if you guys started the FAFSA process? I applied for FAFSA and recieved an e-mail that I'm not eligable for the Pell Grant but haven't gotten any other info since. How do I start this process of looking and applying for loans/scholarships/grants?

Any advice would be appreciated!

Oh, and where is everyone planning on living?

Thanks!

Did anyone receive an official package in the mail after being pull off the waitlist yet?

Did anyone receive an official package in the mail after being pull off the waitlist yet?

I did. It's just the same email we got on a hard copy, and another page for the deposit form

I did. It's just the same email we got on a hard copy, and another page for the deposit form

I am from Cali. Guess the mailing system is going to take a couple of days. But as long as the deposit is postmarked before Apirl 4 is fine right?

I am from Cali. Guess the mailing system is going to take a couple of days. But as long as the deposit is postmarked before Apirl 4 is fine right?

Yeah, I think you'll receive it with the next couple of days. I think it should take more than 3-4 days for your check to be delivered to PU, if you really wanna make sure not to miss it just overnight with fedex or ups..after all you're paying around $130000 so another 20 bucks is nothing :)

I'm from San Diego and I recieved the letter and confirmation of acceptance on Saturday. I sent in my deposit with a delivery confirmation as well =)

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some info. The background check and drug test cost about 68 dollars in total and Pacific does have a scholarship for incoming students, but they only give away from $500-1k a year. Alright see you all in the Fall!

Hey! Did any of you guys receive a background check email? It is weird that I received two emails with different Application Station Code field. So I have no idea which code I should use for Oregon...

Hey! Did any of you guys receive a background check email? It is weird that I received two emails with different Application Station Code field. So I have no idea which code I should use for Oregon...

I got two emails also. One was for background check, and the other was for drug testing. Hence the different codes. Try signing in with each one to check? But I think it should be the same for you.

That happened to me too. I got accepted to two different schools on the same day, so I thought that was why. So I only completed one and then certiphi emailed me again and told me I hadn't done the drug screen yet. So do both! One is $17 I think and the other is $53

Hey guys,

Just wanted to share some info. The background check and drug test cost about 68 dollars in total and Pacific does have a scholarship for incoming students, but they only give away from $500-1k a year. Alright see you all in the Fall!

Thanks for sharing! Where can I find more info on the scholarship?