Pacific University, Oregon

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I too have received a interview!!! and I just wanted to ask those of you, what the interview process is like. can anyone share their experiences?! much appreciated! Congrats to those accepted!

Hello, the interview process is pretty much the full day like it's stated in the email they send out. You get to have your picture taken, get fitted for the white coat, listen to the dean & faculty talk about the school, and then lunch. Afterwards, you go to your selective group to do the student panel information session, group activity, and interview. The group you are placed in determines the order in which you will do these 3 parts. The interview itself is 2 on 1. Personally for me it was one faculty member and a current practicing pharmacist who also happened to be an alumni of Pacific.Overall, it was pretty laid back. They really tried to make you feel comfortable and put you at ease, because they really want you to be able to convey who you are. I was a little nervous going in, but after I started talking, it got pretty easy to talk to them and say all that I needed.

Good luck on your interview! Just be yourself and let your personality shine through, and you'll do fine 🙂
 
I got an interview on Sat. Jan. 14th. I'm from SoCal, so I will be flying in on early Friday morning. If anyone interested in carpooling and sharing hotel, we can split the cost!
 
I got an interview on Sat. Jan. 14th. I'm from SoCal, so I will be flying in on early Friday morning. If anyone interested in carpooling and sharing hotel, we can split the cost!

When did you submitted your secondary application ? Did they call or email you btw?
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
They emailed me and I'm scheduled to show up on the 14th too. I submitted my supplemental on 5th of november.. It actually took them up to 6 weeks as stated in one of the emails.
 
In regard to their Anatomy/Physiology requirement, my friend told me that I had to take these courses at a 4yr university because they wouldn't accept courses taken at community colleges. Is this true?
 
In regard to their Anatomy/Physiology requirement, my friend told me that I had to take these courses at a 4yr university because they wouldn't accept courses taken at community colleges. Is this true?

I don't think that is true. I took my Anatomy class at a private university and my Physiology class at a local community college. I have already been accepted and did not receive any indication that there is/was a problem with my Physiology haven been taken at a community college. If it really is a problem then.. I'm screwed >_> The only thing I did see mentioned about the Anatomy & Physiology requirement is that they "prefer - HUMAN Anatomy and HUMAN Physiology - a year long series - courses to be taken at the same institution; combined courses accepted" This was taken directly from their PharmCAS page.
 
They emailed me and I'm scheduled to show up on the 14th too. I submitted my supplemental on 5th of november.. It actually took them up to 6 weeks as stated in one of the emails.

Congrats! It's a relief to hear that because I was getting a little worried.. I applied close to the deadline and only received a confirmation email weeks ago. Good luck on your interview!
 
I also got an interview on the 14th, I live in Portland (well across the river in WA), if anybody needs a lift from their hotel in the morning I'm willing to help 🙂
 
Not sure if there are any current students lurking in this thread, but does anyone know if there are decent apartments located within walking distance of Pacific? I know technically students can just live along the MAX line and be fine, but I was hoping to live within walking distance even if the apartments aren't as nice as the other ones farther away. Also, is it possible to live the first two years completely without a car? I know we start our IPPE's the first year, and during the interview day, they really stressed that whichever IPPE site we were assigned we had to make sure to make it there, no excuses pretty much. Thanks!
 
Thanks for the shared interview experiences, if anyone else has something to say it would be much appreciated. But I have to ask, I was reading some older posts from the first round of interviews and some mentioned how the interviewers turned interviewee response into follow ups, what does that actually mean?
 
Thanks for the shared interview experiences, if anyone else has something to say it would be much appreciated. But I have to ask, I was reading some older posts from the first round of interviews and some mentioned how the interviewers turned interviewee response into follow ups, what does that actually mean?

It just means that they ask the next question based on your response to the previous question. For instance, in my interview I was asked about where I thought Pharmacy was headed in 5 years and I responded that with all the automated dispensing things going on, I believed it would end up being geared more towards patient care. One of my interviewers then followed up with, since you mentioned that there's a going to be a lot of automatic dispensing things in the future do you think pharmacists should then worry about being without a job? So yeah, it's just following up on your answers I guess to get more info.
 
Hi, I sent my Pharmcas app on Nov 1st and I got a confirmation email from Pharmcas that they have verifies my app on Dec 6th. I turned in my supplementary application on Nov 4th.

I have heard back from two schools but I haven't heard back from Pacific yet.

I got an email from Pacific almost three weeks ago that they have my complete app and it would take 6 weeks to review my application.

It seems like people who applied around the same time as me received an invite.

I was really hoping that I would get an invite for January but I did not receive one.

I am crossing my fingers for February now, I guess.
 
No worries, it just takes time. I submitted my pharmcas in mid October and my supp a week before the due date after around thanksgiving so with all the holidays and things it just might still be in the review process. Good luck! 🙂
 
It just means that they ask the next question based on your response to the previous question. For instance, in my interview I was asked about where I thought Pharmacy was headed in 5 years and I responded that with all the automated dispensing things going on, I believed it would end up being geared more towards patient care. One of my interviewers then followed up with, since you mentioned that there's a going to be a lot of automatic dispensing things in the future do you think pharmacists should then worry about being without a job? So yeah, it's just following up on your answers I guess to get more info.

Oh I see thanks so much! Still very anxious about the traveling nd interview :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not sure if there are any current students lurking in this thread, but does anyone know if there are decent apartments located within walking distance of Pacific? I know technically students can just live along the MAX line and be fine, but I was hoping to live within walking distance even if the apartments aren't as nice as the other ones farther away. Also, is it possible to live the first two years completely without a car? I know we start our IPPE's the first year, and during the interview day, they really stressed that whichever IPPE site we were assigned we had to make sure to make it there, no excuses pretty much. Thanks!


Someone answered this on the Facebook page, so here is the response but I don't know any additional information:

"there are plenty of housing around the school and w/in 5-15min driving distance...great apartments clean and comfortable...I would highly suggest having a car because you do have rotations and you don't choose them. The school doesn't consider not having a car as a reason for switching your rotation to a near by location. My first year rotation was in portland w/ traffic it took me about 45min to get there and my second year rotation was 100 miles away and it took me 1 hr and 45 min each way."
 
Someone answered this on the Facebook page, so here is the response but I don't know any additional information:

"there are plenty of housing around the school and w/in 5-15min driving distance...great apartments clean and comfortable...I would highly suggest having a car because you do have rotations and you don't choose them. The school doesn't consider not having a car as a reason for switching your rotation to a near by location. My first year rotation was in portland w/ traffic it took me about 45min to get there and my second year rotation was 100 miles away and it took me 1 hr and 45 min each way."

Ughh..100 miles away? That's seriously putting on some mileage. x_x
 
Btw, is there a dress code for Pacific? I don't remember them mentioning anything about it, so I assume there isn't, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!
 
Ughh..100 miles away? That's seriously putting on some mileage. x_x

Yes, you'll definitely need a car. Sometimes you can carpool with another student at your site (especially for long term care rotations) but that's not a guarantee. There are a lot of sites that aren't accessible by public transportation, or if they are it would be faster to drive (even with rush hour traffic).

Btw, is there a dress code for Pacific? I don't remember them mentioning anything about it, so I assume there isn't, but I just wanted to make sure. Thanks!

Not usually. There are some days you need to dress professionally, but they'll let you know ahead of time when it's required.
 
The interview itself is 2 on 1. Personally for me it was one faculty member and a current practicing pharmacist who also happened to be an alumni of Pacific.Overall, it was pretty laid back. They really tried to make you feel comfortable and put you at ease, because they really want you to be able to convey who you are. I was a little nervous going in, but after I started talking, it got pretty easy to talk to them and say all that I needed.

Good luck on your interview! Just be yourself and let your personality shine through, and you'll do fine 🙂

Not all interviews are 2 on 1. It just depends on the people that are available for the school is able to bring in. Mine was 3 on 1: a faculty member, a doctor outside of Pacific, and a P3.

Otherwise, I agree with everything else. : )
 
Yes, you'll definitely need a car. Sometimes you can carpool with another student at your site (especially for long term care rotations) but that's not a guarantee. There are a lot of sites that aren't accessible by public transportation, or if they are it would be faster to drive (even with rush hour traffic).

Oooh, okay. Thanks a lot for the info! Btw, do we need to buy a parking permit for school? And also, if we're not from Oregon, do we need to get an Oregon driver's license and get our car registered in Oregon? Thanks!
 
Oooh, okay. Thanks a lot for the info! Btw, do we need to buy a parking permit for school? And also, if we're not from Oregon, do we need to get an Oregon driver's license and get our car registered in Oregon? Thanks!

Sure, no worries! The school was specifically built right on the MAX to encourage students to take MAX (it's more eco-friendly and Oregon-like, and it keeps the city happy because there isn't a ton of traffic). So, that's how most students get to and from school.

There is a parking garage across the street that has a limited number of spots designated for HPC students. They cost about $100 each semester, and are first-come, first-served. There's also a carpool lot that's free (I think - but still requires a pass) if you go that route.

I assume you need an Oregon DL to get registered, but it's been awhile since I've done that. Check the DMV website - it's actually been helpful the couple of times I've used it. : )
 
Has anyone had their updates transcripts mailed from PharmCAS? I got a notice on Sunday that my transcripts had been verified and it would be sent within the next week. However, it is not showing updated GPAs, and I am worried about the timing that Pacific will receive them. Does anyone know if they will only be sending one more notice, or will Pacific send a notice to students as needed for the last interview date?
 
I got the answer, in case anyone is wondering:

."We will be making all final admissions decisions for those currently under evaluation or placed on committee hold by the end of January/first week of February. Due to the timing of our deadlines and our rolling admissions process, Fall grades do not play a large role in our decision making process. Candidates will not all hear on the same exact day of their final admissions decision, but rather throughout the next month and half.".
 
I got the answer, in case anyone is wondering:

."We will be making all final admissions decisions for those currently under evaluation or placed on committee hold by the end of January/first week of February. Due to the timing of our deadlines and our rolling admissions process, Fall grades do not play a large role in our decision making process. Candidates will not all hear on the same exact day of their final admissions decision, but rather throughout the next month and half.".

Thank you so much Starcake! This helps so much and is the reason why I really appreciate SDN!
 
Has anyone had their updates transcripts mailed from PharmCAS? I got a notice on Sunday that my transcripts had been verified and it would be sent within the next week. However, it is not showing updated GPAs, and I am worried about the timing that Pacific will receive them. Does anyone know if they will only be sending one more notice, or will Pacific send a notice to students as needed for the last interview date?

Pacific doesn't look at the academic update IIRC, I attended an open house and asked this very question.
 
I got the answer, in case anyone is wondering:

."We will be making all final admissions decisions for those currently under evaluation or placed on committee hold by the end of January/first week of February. Due to the timing of our deadlines and our rolling admissions process, Fall grades do not play a large role in our decision making process. Candidates will not all hear on the same exact day of their final admissions decision, but rather throughout the next month and half.".
Thanks starcake! I HAD been wondering!!!
 
Hey guys,

I interviewed on the 14th of this month and had a chance to meet some of you there, but would have liked to meet all of you guys if given the opportunity. So hopefully we'll all be classmates next year. How did you guys feel you did?
 
Hey guys,

I interviewed on the 14th of this month and had a chance to meet some of you there, but would have liked to meet all of you guys if given the opportunity. So hopefully we'll all be classmates next year. How did you guys feel you did?

Which one were you? Lol I met someone from San Diego area so I'm trying to see if it was you! Yeah it was cool when we were all in that one classroom and chatting it up, I met so many people from all over! The day was pretty long for me and i was completely exhausted by my actual interview but I was ok for me I hope we all did well and receive acceptances!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Which one were you? Lol I met someone from San Diego area so I'm trying to see if it was you! Yeah it was cool when we were all in that one classroom and chatting it up, I met so many people from all over! The day was pretty long for me and i was completely exhausted by my actual interview but I was ok for me I hope we all did well and receive acceptances!

I don't know if you would be able to spot me out even if I told you who I was still, because I was one of the many Asian dudes there who wore a black suit on interview day. lol Specifically I was in group B and had the group exercise last on the day's agenda. Yea I know what you mean about the interview being long, but happy to hear that you had a good time. Is pacific your top choice?
 
I don't know if you would be able to spot me out even if I told you who I was still, because I was one of the many Asian dudes there who wore a black suit on interview day. lol Specifically I was in group B and had the group exercise last on the day's agenda. Yea I know what you mean about the interview being long, but happy to hear that you had a good time. Is pacific your top choice?

Lol there was a row of Asian guys behind me that day, and yes all of us wore black including myself. Pacific is my top choice but after actually going there and visting the campus, city , and getting feedback from my friend & classmates it seems to suite my learning style and it's 3 years so that's a plus. Is it your first choice too?
 
Lol there was a row of Asian guys behind me that day, and yes all of us wore black including myself. Pacific is my top choice but after actually going there and visting the campus, city , and getting feedback from my friend & classmates it seems to suite my learning style and it's 3 years so that's a plus. Is it your first choice too?

Yea it is since I am specifically interested in going to a 3 year school. I have UOP and MCPHS to decide from, but I'm hoping Pacific would pick me up because I really liked what I saw there. I completely agree with everything you said. Plus EVERYONE seemed really cool from staff to students. It's like a little close knit family that have going over there haha Are you from California Katherine?
 
Lol there was a row of Asian guys behind me that day, and yes all of us wore black including myself. Pacific is my top choice but after actually going there and visting the campus, city , and getting feedback from my friend & classmates it seems to suite my learning style and it's 3 years so that's a plus. Is it your first choice too?


Haha I was one of the Asian girls who were black suits 😛
Very nervous/anxious for the result. :xf:
 
Yea it is since I am specifically interested in going to a 3 year school. I have UOP and MCPHS to decide from, but I'm hoping Pacific would pick me up because I really liked what I saw there. I completely agree with everything you said. Plus EVERYONE seemed really cool from staff to students. It's like a little close knit family that have going over there haha Are you from California Katherine?

Yes! Born and raised! Haha, I hope we all get in :xf:!!!! 😀
 
Do you guys have any back up schools already in the bag just in case?
nope I only applied to pacific and oregon state but i havent heard back from them yet...stressful.

Has anyone heard back from pacific yet from the interview on the 14th? I was checking the earlier posts and it seemed like people were finding out like 5-6 days after the interview.
 
Does anyone know if there's a specific laptop we have to buy, or can we use any laptop as long as it meets certain requirements?
 
Submitted supplemental on 11/30, got an interview invite via email just now for 2/25. Guess they must be close to reviewing all the apps since mine for sure was towards the end of the queue.
 
Emails are being sent out. I've got placed on committee hold. It must have been my short interview.. 🙁
Don't stress it too much (I know easier said than done!). I was at the 11/19 Interview Day and was placed on committee hold, and got placed on hold again after the most recent round of interviews last weekend. So, don't give up. Just tell yourself they are holding you for a reason. If they weren't interested in you as an applicant it would be just as easy for them to let you go! It's hard to say what their reasons are, just try to stay positive as best you can!
 
Don't stress it too much (I know easier said than done!). I was at the 11/19 Interview Day and was placed on committee hold, and got placed on hold again after the most recent round of interviews last weekend. So, don't give up. Just tell yourself they are holding you for a reason. If they weren't interested in you as an applicant it would be just as easy for them to let you go! It's hard to say what their reasons are, just try to stay positive as best you can!

The anxiety is what is the most frustrating! :scared:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Is committee hold a good thing??? Your interview was short ? How so?

Well, committee hold means you wait until the end of next month for more news. I felt very weird about my interview because they asked very few followup questions at all. But then I was last to be interviewed anyway.
 
Well, committee hold means you wait until the end of next month for more news. I felt very weird about my interview because they asked very few followup questions at all. But then I was last to be interviewed anyway.

Me too!! I was so nervous I was shaking like crazy!! I had like the last time slot for the interview also
 
Hi guys, just got an interview invite for February 25 too!
I am really excited to interview.. hopefully good news at the end! :xf:
Any tips are welcome and good luck everyone.
 
Well, committee hold means you wait until the end of next month for more news. I felt very weird about my interview because they asked very few followup questions at all. But then I was last to be interviewed anyway.

Me too. Very few followup questions. Last to be interviewed. Committee hold. 🙁