This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SilverHearted

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I'm pretty desperate to get some firsthand accounts from people who have gone through the PsyD programs at Pacific University in Oregon and Roosevelt University in Chicago. Both programs offer a neuropsychology track, which is what I'm truly interested in and why I've focused on these schools in particular.

I'd love to hear about people's experiences with these schools, even if you just interviewed there. I'd especially like to know about how good you perceive these programs to be currently (as opposed to, say, how they were 10 years ago) and whether you'd recommend them to others. If not, why? Which schools would you endorse instead?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Tracks are mostly marketing and very little else. Most quality programs don't need to offer tracks bc.....it's mostly marketing. I'd encourage you to broaden your options.

Reactions: 1 users
I received an interview at Pacific this past cycle and didn't even bother going. Their APA match rate was very bad last year (65%) and cohort sizes are very large. Best to avoid this program and only look at programs that have 100% match rates. Although I don't know much about Roosevelt, I do know their program has smaller class sizes and better match rates.

Members don't see this ad :)
As a Neuropsych who accepts students for internship, I can tell you that I almost never rank students from Pacific-Oregon. I get Roosevelt applications often, but they tend to be hit or miss.

Reactions: 1 user
Roosevelt is the better program, and I would not personally reccomend Pacific based off of their reputation. Someone else will mention it I’m sure, but you should look at PhD programs as well. If you want to be near Chicago I’d look at Rosalind Franklin and Northwestern. In California, UCLA has a great neuro program. The only other PsyD programs I can think of where it felt like you could get adequate neuro training from when I applied were Loyola, FIT and Baylor. I’m sure there are other PsyD programs that’ll provide you with proper exposure, but those are some of the ones I looked at.

At Pacific, you'll have to apply to the neuro track with the possibility of not getting accepted into the track. The program has improved this past year with match rates going up for APA-acred internships (81%, 47 students). However, keep in mind, it is a ridiculously large program (40-50 students per cohort) and the cost is high, close to $50,000 a year (including living expenses). The training is pretty good, depending on how you structure your clinical experience and how much involvement you want to have with core faculty.

As a Neuropsych who accepts students for internship, I can tell you that I almost never rank students from Pacific-Oregon. I get Roosevelt applications often, but they tend to be hit or miss.

WisNeuro, I am currently a Neuropsych Student at Roosevelt. I was wondering what do you find lacking in the applications? Areas of improvement etc. If you would like I could pm you to have a conversation. Thanks!

WisNeuro, I am currently a Neuropsych Student at Roosevelt. I was wondering what do you find lacking in the applications? Areas of improvement etc. If you would like I could pm you to have a conversation. Thanks!

The practica seem to be hit or miss sometimes. There are some solid sites in Chicago, and some....not so solid sites. Additionally, some of your applicants have odd backgrounds applying to us. Sometimes they have predominantly child experience and no health experience, and my site right now is all adult and has a sig health focus. There are still definitely some quality apps that come out of there, but we also wade through a lot of poor fit applications. Additionally, relative to the other people with heavy neuro backgrounds, the research is a tad on the light side.

Reactions: 1 user
The practica seem to be hit or miss sometimes. There are some solid sites in Chicago, and some....not so solid sites. Additionally, some of your applicants have odd backgrounds applying to us. Sometimes they have predominantly child experience and no health experience, and my site right now is all adult and has a sig health focus. There are still definitely some quality apps that come out of there, but we also wade through a lot of poor fit applications. Additionally, relative to the other people with heavy neuro backgrounds, the research is a tad on the light side.

I see, thank you!

avoid this program. the data should be enough to make you run for cover, but my own anecdotes of A. working with students from here and B. stories from those students about their experiences, are both concerning for a variety of reasons.

What have been your experiences working with students from this program? Recent experiences?

So which programs would you consider the best in terms of getting a well-rounded PsyD education but also having lots of opportunities to gain a "heavy neuro background"? Are there students from specific schools who fairly consistently stand out to you?

So which programs would you consider the best in terms of getting a well-rounded PsyD education but also having lots of opportunities to gain a "heavy neuro background"? Are there students from specific schools who fairly consistently stand out to you?
Is there are reason you are not considering PhD programs?

Members don't see this ad :)
I listed some PsyD programs above that you should look into. In addition to the normal stuff you should look for in a program (APA match rate, EPPP pass rate, cohort size, funding etc.) you want a program that has neuropsych faculty (ideally boarded ones), a variety of neuropsych practicum opportunities in different settings, research opportunities, and a track record of placing individuals in neuro internships and post-docs. I also caution against limiting yourself to just PsyD programs, because there are a lot of PhD programs with excellent neuropsych training.

Is there are reason you are not considering PhD programs?

I actually just completed a MS in psychology that had a fairly strong neuropsych focus, but my experience with research life was ridiculously lonely. There was no one in my lab, my adviser was super hands-off, and I just really dreaded my day-to-day experiences. I did literally nothing for weeks, then would whip out 10 pages of my thesis in a few days and immediately go back into a slump. The only highlight was that my project had me working with a group of people who had a rare neurological condition. On the days I'd get to interact with them or do something applied, everything felt a million times better. While it's highly possible that everything could be the complete opposite if I decide to go the PhD route, just the thought of returning to that drudgery makes me want to sink back into a semi-depressive state. But if I go for a PsyD, I can return to doing coursework (and I legitimately enjoy being a student), and I'll be working toward a career that will enable me to actively work with and help other individuals who have neurological conditions (not that getting a PhD wouldn't let me do that, but I doubt it would be the emphasis every day).

Long story short: I think my mental health would seriously suffer if I were to go back to doing research full-time.

I listed some PsyD programs above that you should look into. In addition to the normal stuff you should look for in a program (APA match rate, EPPP pass rate, cohort size, funding etc.) you want a program that has neuropsych faculty (ideally boarded ones), a variety of neuropsych practicum opportunities in different settings, research opportunities, and a track record of placing individuals in neuro internships and post-docs. I also caution against limiting yourself to just PsyD programs, because there are a lot of PhD programs with excellent neuropsych training.

Baylor definitely has some serious appeal and I assume you're referring to Loyola in Maryland and the Florida Institute of Technology. I vaguely remember something about Loyola turning me off, but I'll be sure to have a second glance. Baylor has seemed more and more appealing by the day.

And in regard to not wanting to do a PhD program, see my reply to psych.meout directly above. If there was one that really caught my attention, I'm sure I'd apply, but as it currently stands, my interest level is at a bare minimum.

Baylor definitely has some serious appeal and I assume you're referring to Loyola in Maryland and the Florida Institute of Technology. I vaguely remember something about Loyola turning me off, but I'll be sure to have a second glance. Baylor has seemed more and more appealing by the day.

And in regard to not wanting to do a PhD program, see my reply to psych.meout directly above. If there was one that really caught my attention, I'm sure I'd apply, but as it currently stands, my interest level is at a bare minimum.
Correct, those were some schools I looked at when I applied. It sounds like your experience was a poor fit, and I don't think it's an accurate representation of what research is like at most programs. In both PhD and PsyD programs you will have a mix of coursework and research. The PsyD programs I mentioned are relatively similar to balanced PhD programs in their emphasis on both clinical and research components. Also, neuropsych places an emphasis on research to a greater degree than any other clinical psych sub-specialty. You will need strong research productivity to be competitive for neuro internships and post-docs.

Correct, those were some schools I looked at when I applied. It sounds like your experience was a poor fit, and I don't think it's an accurate representation of what research is like at most programs. In both PhD and PsyD programs you will have a mix of coursework and research. The PsyD programs I mentioned are relatively similar to balanced PhD programs in their emphasis on both clinical and research components. Also, neuropsych places an emphasis on research to a greater degree than any other clinical psych sub-specialty. You will need strong research productivity to be competitive for neuro internships and post-docs.

I should clarify that I did also enjoy myself when I was actually running an experiment for my master's and I don't think that my writing quality suffered despite my ennui so I think I'd really benefit from a balanced program.

If you don't mind my asking, what route did you eventually go in terms of schooling and area of focus? Why did you ultimately pick that route over your other options?

I should clarify that I did also enjoy myself when I was actually running an experiment for my master's and I don't think that my writing quality suffered despite my ennui so I think I'd really benefit from a balanced program.

If you don't mind my asking, what route did you eventually go in terms of schooling and area of focus? Why did you ultimately pick that route over your other options?
I won't share too much detail for the sake of anonymity, but I'm currently a student at a PsyD program and my focus is in neuropsychology. I've had a great experience so far, but I picked this program over some PhD programs because there was a specific population I wanted to work/do research with that I could not work with in the PhD programs I was accepted to. The lab culture was a great fit as well. Personally, I would have preferred if my program was a PhD over a PsyD program because having structured/dedicated research time instead of having to fit research around other commitments would be nice. That being said, I believe my research productivity is on par with most PhD programs, which is something you might have to be more proactive about if you do go the PsyD route.

From PsyDs that regularly apply to my sites? No, no consistent stand out programs for neuro. It's pretty much hit or miss across the PsyD board in that niche area. We don't tend to get too many Baylor or Rutgers applicants, so hard to aggregate those. After that, it's a wide range at some places and a hard pass from some entire programs.

I actually just completed a MS in psychology that had a fairly strong neuropsych focus, but my experience with research life was ridiculously lonely. There was no one in my lab, my adviser was super hands-off, and I just really dreaded my day-to-day experiences. I did literally nothing for weeks, then would whip out 10 pages of my thesis in a few days and immediately go back into a slump. The only highlight was that my project had me working with a group of people who had a rare neurological condition. On the days I'd get to interact with them or do something applied, everything felt a million times better. While it's highly possible that everything could be the complete opposite if I decide to go the PhD route, just the thought of returning to that drudgery makes me want to sink back into a semi-depressive state. But if I go for a PsyD, I can return to doing coursework (and I legitimately enjoy being a student), and I'll be working toward a career that will enable me to actively work with and help other individuals who have neurological conditions (not that getting a PhD wouldn't let me do that, but I doubt it would be the emphasis every day).

Long story short: I think my mental health would seriously suffer if I were to go back to doing research full-time.
Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience working in the lab.

For what it's worth, I've been in a few labs with styles that have run the gamut, so I would hesitate to say that your mentor's style is representative of research across the field. I've had hands-on mentors who wanted to conduct the more complicated analyses themselves, hands-off mentors with whom one had to be explicit about needing help, and more balanced mentors who were there enough to provide guidance but stepped away to allow one to gain independence.

Ask current and former graduate students of some PhD programs that interest you and ask them about their mentors' styles. I've found them to be extremely helpful and informative about their experiences.

Sorry to hear that you had a poor experience working in the lab.

For what it's worth, I've been in a few labs with styles that have run the gamut, so I would hesitate to say that your mentor's style is representative of research across the field. I've had hands-on mentors who wanted to conduct the more complicated analyses themselves, hands-off mentors with whom one had to be explicit about needing help, and more balanced mentors who were there enough to provide guidance but stepped away to allow one to gain independence.

Ask current and former graduate students of some PhD programs that interest you and ask them about their mentors' styles. I've found them to be extremely helpful and informative about their experiences.

This was my experience. We had a somewhat large lab, 5 active grad students during my final year, doing psychophysiology/neuroscience work in a clinical psych context. And, we ran the gamut of career aspirations, from purely clinical to purely academia. Our advisor was very good about adjusting styles to each student's needs. Just like there are a myriad of program balances, and even a myriad of focuses even within some programs, mentors/grad advisors exist all along the continuum. This is where the legwork of researching programs, outcomes and speaking with current students comes in.

Reactions: 1 users
Hello! Can I connect with you as will be applying for Fall 2021?