This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Auntymarkovnikov

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I keep getting an 18 every time i take a Bootcamp PAT test. It's really annoying. Some days im stronger in some subjects, some days im weaker in others. (Keyhole, TFE, and PF hit me hard).
Any advice on how i can get that up to a 22 would be great :D
Exam is in ~3 weeks

Members don't see this ad.

I keep getting an 18 every time i take a Bootcamp PAT test. It's really annoying. Some days im stronger in some subjects, some days im weaker in others. (Keyhole, TFE, and PF hit me hard).
Exam is in ~3 weeks
Practice! Practice! Practice makes it perfect. Did you check out some youtube videos on each section? They were helpful to me!

These worked for me:
For TFE, I paid close attention to the dash lines.
For PF, I worked from sides with patterns and went through answers doing the elimination method
For Keyhole, I paid close attention to the length of certain lines.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Bootcamp PAT is typically harder than the real thing. My score, along with others I've seen, was around 2-3 points higher than was I was getting on practice PAT tests.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Practice! Practice! Practice makes it perfect. Did you check out some youtube videos on each section? They were helpful to me!

These worked for me:
For TFE, I paid close attention to the dash lines.
For PF, I worked from sides with patterns and went through answers doing the elimination method
For Keyhole, I paid close attention to the length of certain lines.
Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
Hey friend,

Have you thoroughly gone through all of the BC solutions? Those, and a LOT of practice, helped me improve my scores the most.

For Keyholes, I always leave those for last since they are difficult, take up a lot of time, and you still might not get them right in the end. I skip the first 15 questions, do the entire rest of the test, then when I get to the Review page, I hit #1 and do the keyholes. I heard Keyholes can be harder on the real DAT compared to BC (esp. b/c of rocks), so this might be a good strategy for you too if you are weak/slow at keyholes. My best advice for Keyholes is to look through BC solutions, and always remember to check the following:
1) Relative lengths of lines (BC explains this well)
2) Horizontal AND vertical proportions
3) Perimeter of the figure
4) Inside of the figure (size of holes, placement of holes, i.e. is it closer to the edge or more towards the middle).

For TFE, again BC explanations helped me the most. But in general:
1) Look at the 2 views you're given
2) Integrate them in your mind to form a rough mental image of what the 3-D figure could look like
3) Go to answer choices for process of elimination
4) If you're down to two answer choices, look for one feature that is different between the two and use the 2 views given to decide which is true.

For Pattern Folding, sorry to sound like a broken record but BC provides really great explanations. How I got to scoring 15/15:
1) Eliminate the obvious. I'm sure you're aware of this since you're scoring 19 on BC, but for example, if a figure is half-white/half-black, eliminate answer choices that have the white/black on the wrong sides. In pat88, this allows me to eliminate B & D.
2) Think about what clamps onto what. In pat88, the white half of the half-white/half-black rectangle clamps onto the large white figure. Since I know the large white figure is on the bottom, the white half of the rectangle has to be coming up, from the bottom. This allows me to eliminate C since in this answer choice, the gray half is coming up from the bottom.
3) Going off of #2, think about which shape is on the bottom, and what color clamps onto it. In pat90, I knew that the white square was the bottom of the figure. Since the white half of the half-white/half-black rectangle clamps onto this white square, I knew the white half of the rectangle had to be coming up, from the bottom, which leads me to answer C.
4) Finally, for dice/cube problems, if I can't picture it in my head, I quickly draw out on my laminated paper how the 3 squares would look if they were all next to each other (I do this by remembering that each time a square rotates 90 degrees, the dots on it rotate 90 degrees as well. Keep rolling the squares+their dots by 90 degrees until they are next to one another). See pat83. Then go through each of the answer choices, and physically turn your laminated paper to see which answer choice could match up with what you drew. I was able to eliminate A, B, & C this way. I saw that D was possible when I turned my laminated paper 90 degrees to the right.

Sorry I know this is really long and potentially confusing, but I wanted to share in case these are things you haven't tried out yet. Good luck!

Attachments

• pat88.png
    pat88.png
    80.8 KB · Views: 107
  • pat90.png
    pat90.png
    111.3 KB · Views: 93
  • pat83.png
    pat83.png
    117 KB · Views: 96
Reactions: 2 users
Exam is in ~3 weeks

How are you currently practicing? Do you just take Bootcamp tests, do you review your answers after, are you making use of BC generators on a daily basis?

Hey friend,

Have you thoroughly gone through all of the BC solutions? Those, and a LOT of practice, helped me improve my scores the most.

For Keyholes, I always leave those for last since they are difficult, take up a lot of time, and you still might not get them right in the end. I skip the first 15 questions, do the entire rest of the test, then when I get to the Review page, I hit #1 and do the keyholes. I heard Keyholes can be harder on the real DAT compared to BC (esp. b/c of rocks), so this might be a good strategy for you too if you are weak/slow at keyholes. My best advice for Keyholes is to look through BC solutions, and always remember to check the following:
4) Inside of the figure (size of holes, placement of holes, i.e. is it closer to the edge or more towards the middle).

2) Integrate them in your mind to form a rough mental image of what the 3-D figure could look like
4) If you're down to two answer choices, look for one feature that is different between the two and use the 2 views given to decide which is true.

For Pattern Folding, sorry to sound like a broken record but BC provides really great explanations. How I got to scoring 15/15:
1) Eliminate the obvious. I'm sure you're aware of this since you're scoring 19 on BC, but for example, if a figure is half-white/half-black, eliminate answer choices that have the white/black on the wrong sides. In pat88, this allows me to eliminate B & D.
2) Think about what clamps onto what. In pat88, the white half of the half-white/half-black rectangle clamps onto the large white figure. Since I know the large white figure is on the bottom, the white half of the rectangle has to be coming up, from the bottom. This allows me to eliminate C since in this answer choice, the gray half is coming up from the bottom.
3) Going off of #2, think about which shape is on the bottom, and what color clamps onto it. In pat90, I knew that the white square was the bottom of the figure. Since the white half of the half-white/half-black rectangle clamps onto this white square, I knew the white half of the rectangle had to be coming up, from the bottom, which leads me to answer C.
4) Finally, for dice/cube problems, if I can't picture it in my head, I quickly draw out on my laminated paper how the 3 squares would look if they were all next to each other (I do this by remembering that each time a square rotates 90 degrees, the dots on it rotate 90 degrees as well. Keep rolling the squares+their dots by 90 degrees until they are next to one another). See pat83. Then go through each of the answer choices, and physically turn your laminated paper to see which answer choice could match up with what you drew. I was able to eliminate A, B, & C this way. I saw that D was possible when I turned my laminated paper 90 degrees to the right.

Sorry I know this is really long and potentially confusing, but I wanted to share in case these are things you haven't tried out yet. Good luck!
Thank you!! I know I'm not OP lol but this really really helped, not confusing at all!

Thank you!! I know I'm not OP lol but this really really helped, not confusing at all!
Awesome :) so glad I could help even just one person!

bootcamp generators are all you really need. I was scoring around 20-21 on BC and got a 25 on the real thing. Practice what you suck at.

Hey friend,

Wow I feel like I just took a crash course on PAT. Thanks so much!

How are you currently practicing? Do you just take Bootcamp tests, do you review your answers after, are you making use of BC generators on a daily basis?
I do review sometimes but not the ones I get right. And yea I don't do the generators on a daily basis... partially cuz I try to study g chem, o chem, math, and bio all in one day so by the time I'm ready to do PAT I'm ready to crash

Bootcamp generators are your best bet. The only way you are going to improve is putting the time in and practicing. I was scoring awful (like ~17) on practice tests then I started practicing every night by doing each section and if I got 10 in a row right, i could move onto the next section. If i messed up, I had to start all over again. It may sound burdening but this is pretty much one of the only realistic ways of forcing yourself to practice. I also ended up getting a 22 on the PAT, so it definitely works lol

Reactions: 1 users
I do review sometimes but not the ones I get right. And yea I don't do the generators on a daily basis... partially cuz I try to study g chem, o chem, math, and bio all in one day so by the time I'm ready to do PAT I'm ready to crash

Definitely try to do the generators on a regular basis (every day if you can) - you don't need to spend a large amount of time every day, but 20-30 minutes of practice at the start of every day is a good way to get it out of the way early.