PCC to PSU to OHSU [Oregon]

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ATrain5o3

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have not been to school for the past 5 years. Because of that, I was not able to apply to PSU. I'm currently taking classes at PCC to get my 30 credits to transfer to PSU in hopes to apply for dental school at OHSU.

According the OHSU's website, they prefer students to take less than 1 year at a community College. [I'm planning on attending PCC for no longer than 2 terms]

With that said, I'm not taking any prerequisites other than my writing and math classes at CC because I plan to take my prereqs (science) at PSU. Would OHSU still consider me a candidate for dental school? (this is just in regards of attending a CC, otherwise I do understand the importance of a strong GPA, DAT scores, as well as extra curricular activities.)

Thank you for your responses. =]

Members don't see this ad.

I only ask because I know many dental schools "look down" on students who attend cc. But the fact that I plan to take 99% of the required courses needed for dental school at a university, would they still look down on my application because I went to a cc?

I wouldn't worry about it. As long as you do good in all of the prerequisites that you take at PSU they will see that despite going to a CC for a little while you are still able to handle courses at the University level. The only real eye opener would be if you had A's in the CC credits but when transferring to a university your grades dropped to C's.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be ok as long as you get competitive grades/scores. I was accepted this cycle and did a year at community college and the remaining years at OSU. I took Bio at my community college and the rest of my science in Corvallis. There wasn't much of a difference in difficulty to be honest. Just make sure to prove yourself at PSU (especially in science courses). Good luck!

Just get a high GPA regardless of where you attend. OHSU loves high GPAs.