PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2019-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Update: my portal now says contingency Bachelors Degree. Anyone know what this means?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't take GREs or the MCATs. I hear its not required for anyone with 3.25cGPA+. ?
3.2 cumulative yes. And that is the GPA on your transcript not AACOMAS (so with grade replacement as was in my case)

finalizing my application to all 3 locations and i have a few questions, if anyone could answer!
is the guaranteed admission gpa based on masters gpa only, or total gpa, including undergrad?
is a gre score enough or should the mcat be taken as well?
if i complete the masters at georgia campus, am i guaranteed admission only at georgia, or is there an option to go to philly as well?
lastly, is there only one letter of recommendation requirement? would anyone advise sending more than one?
thank so much

Reactions: 1 user
finalizing my application to all 3 locations and i have a few questions, if anyone could answer!
is the guaranteed admission gpa based on masters gpa only, or total gpa, including undergrad?
is a gre score enough or should the mcat be taken as well?
if i complete the masters at georgia campus, am i guaranteed admission only at georgia, or is there an option to go to philly as well?
lastly, is there only one letter of recommendation requirement? would anyone advise sending more than one?
thank so much

I believe the GPA is for both grad and undergrad.
no score is required to get in as long as your gpa is above a 3.2 but MCAT will be needed to get the interview
I believe if you go to georgia you can still go to philly DO, don't know for sure
I sent 4 they only put in the required on in my portal

What's after the $250 deposit they request on the status portal? Also do the campuses work differently on time? I've sent in my app and LORs to the same email-address and through GradCas but Philly campus updated my appl quicker whilst the other 2 still haven't received my LORs. Anyone else has the same issue?

Last edited:
What's after the $250 deposit they request on the status portal? Also do the campuses work differently on time? I've sent in my app and LORs to the same email-address and through GradCas but Philly campus updated my appl quicker whilst the other 2 still haven't received my LORs. Anyone else has the same issue?

$250 to secure your seat? which means you've been accepted...or has that not shown yet? i paid $250 to secure/confirm mine as well.

anyone know anything about the surrounding area/housing? it does not seem like a good neighborhood...i guess i thought it would be closer to downtown

$250 to secure your seat? which means you've been accepted...or has that not shown yet? i paid $250 to secure/confirm mine as well.

I don't know I mean I wasn't informed of an acceptance, the portal just updated and required me to submit this fee before a date. If that's an acceptance then cool, but didn't get anything in the mail or e-mail. Unless that's how its been for you guys as well?

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know I mean I wasn't informed of an acceptance, the portal just updated and required me to submit this fee before a date. If that's an acceptance then cool, but didn't get anything in the mail or e-mail. Unless that's how its been for you guys as well?
congrats! when did it update for you?

the portal updates before the mail acceptance. i got my portal opened on the 17th, mail on the 21st. so just wait for the mail to come in.

@NYCking saw your post on the LECOM thread as well. between here and LECOM, which one would you rather do? The conditional acceptance seems nice in theory, but the more I read, the less I am trusting of it. Not to mention my conversations with PCOM's admissions teams seem kind of shady.

(for example, they don't directly answer questions of what MD schools grads of this program were accepted in, whether they were caribbean or not.).

Wait im confused. mine says I have to pay it by April 15th (the tuition deposit). Does this mean I can pay it and still not choose to go? I am not applying to some schools till early May.

@NYCking saw your post on the LECOM thread as well. between here and LECOM, which one would you rather do? The conditional acceptance seems nice in theory, but the more I read, the less I am trusting of it. Not to mention my conversations with PCOM's admissions teams seem kind of shady.

(for example, they don't directly answer questions of what MD schools grads of this program were accepted in, whether they were caribbean or not.).
Honestly, this is what diverted my attention from PCOM's program. There are too many what ifs for my liking and I would prefer to be assured in my decision to attend their program if it actually truly meant a conditional acceptance at the end. Even if their students managed to meet the requirements, I haven't heard any definitives about the validity of their conditional acceptance or if PCOM actually honors the policy.

I've read in multiple situations where students have attended PCOM's Masters Program, met the requirements for conditional acceptance and adcoms still didn't accept them into their med school. While my opinion on the program is very limited and all that I've mentioned about is hearsay (friend of a friend kind of situation lol), I'm very hesitant about moving forward.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Honestly, this is what diverted my attention from PCOM's program. There are too many what ifs for my liking and I would prefer to be assured in my decision to attend their program if it actually truly meant a conditional acceptance at the end. Even if their students managed to meet the requirements, I haven't heard any definitives about the validity of their conditional acceptance or if PCOM actually honors the policy.

I've read in multiple situations where students have attended PCOM's Masters Program, met the requirements for conditional acceptance and adcoms still didn't accept them into their med school. While my opinion on the program is very limited and all that I've mentioned about is hearsay (friend of a friend kind of situation lol), I'm very hesitant about moving forward.

Sent from my LM-V350 using Tapatalk

lol just my luck i paid my deposit and then i feel buyer's remorse. guess it's time for me to solicit alumni and get their take. for those of us moving out of state, it's a very big move to consider and this "conditional acceptance" sounds much better in theory than in practice.

edit: here's a take I got from a discord channel I am in. this is coming from someone who was in this program. based on this (very anecdotal) evidence there is less to fear than "conditional acceptance on paper just to encourage rematriculation for the second year"

Screen Shot 2020-03-09 at 8.33.24 PM.png

I believe the GPA is for both grad and undergrad.
no score is required to get in as long as your gpa is above a 3.2 but MCAT will be needed to get the interview
I believe if you go to georgia you can still go to philly DO, don't know for sure
I sent 4 they only put in the required on in my portal
thanks for the reply! any idea on the response time for acceptance? ive seen anywhere from 2 weeks to a month, is this accurate?

lol just my luck i paid my deposit and then i feel buyer's remorse. guess it's time for me to solicit alumni and get their take. for those of us moving out of state, it's a very big move to consider and this "conditional acceptance" sounds much better in theory than in practice.

edit: here's a take I got from a discord channel I am in. this is coming from someone who was in this program. based on this (very anecdotal) evidence there is less to fear than "conditional acceptance on paper just to encourage rematriculation for the second year"

View attachment 298011
Do a lot of biomeds get into the med school after the first year? What location has better linkage PA or GA??

I have a Question about an update. I have submitted my app for GA and PA, however, I have only submitted my GRE scores to the GA location. GA app has been complete for over a week now but haven’t heard back yet. I emailed my scores to PA but they said they only take paper copy so technically it is still incomplete (only missing scores).

Now the update: I just noticed the April 15 deadline for $250 on top of PA app on the portal, even though I haven’t sent my official GRE scores to that location. GRE is required since my cGPA was 3.16 and I kept checking only the GA location for an update because that’s where I was expecting to hear back (accidentally taped on the PA app and noticed the deposit notice).

Any idea why I’m seeing this? Is this how it is posted on the portal for the people who have been accepted or is this a false alarm? Can’t wait till tomorrow morning to call PA admissions since I am taking the GRE again tomorrow just to send better scores to PA PCOM.
Thanks

Attachments

• 8810E624-5EF6-40D9-A5CD-3F87C392631C.jpeg
    8810E624-5EF6-40D9-A5CD-3F87C392631C.jpeg
    119 KB · Views: 111
I have a Question about an update. I have submitted my app for GA and PA, however, I have only submitted my GRE scores to the GA location. GA app has been complete for over a week now but haven’t heard back yet. I emailed my scores to PA but they said they only take paper copy so technically it is still incomplete (only missing scores).

Now the update: I just noticed the April 15 deadline for $250 on top of PA app on the portal, even though I haven’t sent my official GRE scores to that location. GRE is required since my cGPA was 3.16 and I kept checking only the GA location for an update because that’s where I was expecting to hear back (accidentally taped on the PA app and noticed the deposit notice).

Any idea why I’m seeing this? Is this how it is posted on the portal for the people who have been accepted or is this a false alarm? Can’t wait till tomorrow morning to call PA admissions since I am taking the GRE again tomorrow just to send better scores to PA PCOM.
Thanks
Yes. You got in! Congratulations!! You should be receiving the actual letter in the mail in a couple days.

Thanks

Congrats! When did you submit your app? Jw so I can get an idea of the timeline

does anyone know how to go about sending a paper copy of the GRE to PCOM PA? it's the only thing missing on my application

Still nothing for me, and I was complete almost a month ago. Beginning to get worried.

Anyone hear from South Georgia campus yet? Wondering what their stats are for acceptance and if it would be less competitive than Philadelphia campus!

So, I've called both admission reps and asked for the amount of students that feed into their own DO programs. LECOM rep told me about 55%. (140 total students so 77 go LECOM-DO) and PCOM rep told me 30-40 students get in every year out of (approx 120 total) so that's 25-33% but the program is for 2 years. He did tell me that some people aren't there for that and are doing a traditional masters or whatever. However, I don't completely buy it as there isn't much reason to be going into a DO MASTERS without the intention of matriculating into the DO school. In all honesty I don't think many are matriculating to allopathic US medical schools. If they are MD then I would believe it be Caribbean.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
does anyone know how to go about sending a paper copy of the GRE to PCOM PA? it's the only thing missing on my application

You have to request your scores sent through logging into ETS (There’s a fee) or right after taking the GRE that same day(free).

Has anyone talked to the GA admissions office recently or gotten an acceptance within the past month? I was told March is when they really start looking at the biomed apps.

So, I've called both admission reps and asked for the amount of students that feed into their own DO programs. LECOM rep told me about 55%. (140 total students so 77 go LECOM-DO) and PCOM rep told me 30-40 students get in every year out of (approx 120 total) so that's 25-33% but the program is for 2 years. He did tell me that some people aren't there for that and are doing a traditional masters or whatever. However, I don't completely buy it as there isn't much reason to be going into a DO MASTERS without the intention of matriculating into the DO school. In all honesty I don't think many are matriculating to allopathic US medical schools. If they are MD then I would believe it be Caribbean. I still don't know which one I will end up going to but I did secure my seat. I still need to take the MCAT so that will help me decide. I also need to complete a video interview for LECOM. As far as curriculum goes LECOM seems more intense as they are requiring more credits in a semester.

for PCOM, they don't have to do 2 years. A certain number interview during their first year, bypass the second year, and head straight into medical school in what was supposed to be the second year.

Hello! I am currently applying to this program and waiting on all of my documents to be received and verified. I have a cGPA of 3.39, sGPA of 3.1, MCAT 505. Anybody else have similar stats and hear back already?
Did you apply direct to DO? With your stats I assume you could get in somewhere.

Has anyone talked to the GA admissions office recently or gotten an acceptance within the past month? I was told March is when they really start looking at the biomed apps.
No but I've been complete since February and getting worried

No but I've been complete since February and getting worried
I would not worry honestly; they’re probably currently dealing with all of the Corona panic since the number of cases in GA is increasing everyday, and that’s probably why they’re a little backed up with applications. They’ve cancelled a lot of campus events, and there’s talks of DO interviews being postponed, so their focus is probably more there at the moment.
I applied during the holiday season and it took a little over a month for me to hear back because of winter break in between.

How long after submitting your application and materials did it take for everything to be marked as received on your portal?

How long after submitting your application and materials did it take for everything to be marked as received on your portal?

A week or so. I think it depends on the case as well. The admissions team might be there only for a certain time period with the situation the country is in at the moment.

Still nothing for me. I was complete a month ago.

Does PCOM do silent rejections for the BMS program?

I don't believe they do but don't worry you will most likely get in. This program is a revenue generator for the school so they will accept a lot of students.

Hi,

So on the website it says that for the conditional acceptance you need an MCAT score in the 50th percentile and individual scores in the 40th percentile at least. Does anyone know what these numbers are. I have 125 124 126 127 and I am worried if the 124 would not be enough although I think it is in the 40th percentile.

Hi,

So on the website it says that for the conditional acceptance you need an MCAT score in the 50th percentile and individual scores in the 40th percentile at least. Does anyone know what these numbers are. I have 125 124 126 127 and I am worried if the 124 would not be enough although I think it is in the 40th percentile.
Your MCAT score is sufficient (PCOM's DO avg MCAT is a 504). Now you can focus 100% of your energy on doing well in the bms program once you start.

Thankyou! I was worried I needed to have a 125 in each section.
Don't worry. A 124 in one section is just 1 point away from 125 so you should be ok especially if it was in CARS. Hopefully if/when this coronavirus dies down, you can get off to a good start in the fall.

Have you heard back yet? I only submitted within the past week but just wondering how often they release decisions
I haven't heard anything at all and was complete around the 19th/20th of Feb. I'm pretty sure they are still trying to figure things out with CO-VID 19 and will get to us when they can.

Does anyone know if applying without a standardized test score hurts your chances? My cumulative is enough to get it waived (thank god for grade replacement) but am I at a disadvantage from someone that does send scores in?
PCOM still honors grade replacement? I thought the policy change for all DO schools sometime in 2017.

Last edited:

I truly think you will get in! Last year a lot of students received acceptance. The majority of applicants did. Just give it some time, if PCOM is where you truly want to be.

Thus far the classes have not been "overly hard". First two exams were completely fair with ample time to study. I think this program and it's faculty were very forthcoming and honest regarding the workload... and they go above and beyond to ensure you get the help you need (so long as you make it known you are struggling or need help).

Regarding linkage the conditional acceptance was just implement and from my understanding and many others, so long as you meet all the criteria you are guaranteed a spot. I've found that the second year students have all re-iterated the same things I said above. Trust me I'm really not trying to shill this program but I've found what I consider to be my second home here. I don't feel like a number like I did previously in undergrad and it really does feel like the professors care.
premedbrah

Hey! How are you doing in the program thus far?

3.2 cumulative yes. And that is the GPA on your transcript not AACOMAS (so with grade replacement as was in my case)

Does PCOM still do grade replacement? If so, is it the AACOMAS grade replace or your bachelors degree grade replacement?