PCOM Biomedical Sciences 2019-2022

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi! Just curious, if anyone currently in the program can chime in on anything they heard. Will the program possibly be online this coming year? The lockdown keeps getting extended (in NYC at least) and I don't know how I'd even manage to move and settle in before classes start if this keeps going on.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi! Just curious, if anyone currently in the program can chime in on anything they heard. Will the program possibly be online this coming year? The lockdown keeps getting extended (in NYC at least) and I don't know how I'd even manage to move and settle in before classes start if this keeps going on.
AGREED! Any info would help!

Reactions: 1 user
Yes this would be super helpful since I’m trying to figure out if I am going to be moving or not

Members don't see this ad :)
Is anybody in the previous year's FB group? You could ask there if they know anything about the plans for next year

So at PCOM-GA we are supposed to return back to campus on May 1st. Therefore, everything will be back to normal for when you guys start in the fall. All campuses are following the same schedule right now. :)

Reactions: 4 users
Can someone in a previous class at the GA campus give a review of the classes for the fall and any tips for succeeding in the program? Very excited to attend this program!

Boy I'd LOVE to be able to visit the area to look at places to live, but this virus has everything on lockdown. :rolleyes:

Reactions: 2 users
Hey guy!! PCOM officially emailed us today that all campuses will be online for the rest of the academic year. They haven’t said anything about the Fall being online though. Hopefully everything is back to normal by then. I know physician assistant students have norm classes in person and they are supposed to start in June! Keep the faith.

Reactions: 3 users
For those of you who have been accepted to the BMS program for this coming fall.. where did you receive information to log into the myPCOM portal? I did not receive it in the acceptance email. I contacted PCOM about it but haven't heard back yet

Members don't see this ad :)
Anyone speak with student affairs about whether or not they decided to move the program to an online platform for the PA campus? I work in the ED as a scribe and all the doctors are certain the next wave will hit around Sept.,which means possible quarantine again aka classes are gonna get switched to being online fo sho.

I'm also torn with how much I need to take out in loans because if it ends up being online I could save $20k +

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone speak with student affairs about whether or not they decided to move the program to an online platform for the PA campus? I work in the ED as a scribe and all the doctors are certain the next wave will hit around Sept.,which means possible quarantine again aka classes are gonna get switched to being online fo sho.

I'm also torn with how much I need to take out in loans because if it ends up being online I could save $20k +
I have the same concerns. If you do hear anything back from them please let us know!

Does anyone know if its okay for the essay to be longer than 500 words? I want to use my med school essay with some tweaks but its like double the word count.

I was accepted to the PCOM PA campus about 2 weeks ago. Here is the timeline of when I submitted everything. I should note that I applied to the DO program this cycle and recently got rejected, so they already had all my info on file. I am awaiting the online info session on May 1st to see if this program fits with my goals.

April 6: GradCAS app submitted to PCOM
April 14: accepted into PCOM PA campus

I was accepted to the PCOM PA campus about 2 weeks ago. Here is the timeline of when I submitted everything. I should note that I applied to the DO program this cycle and recently got rejected, so they already had all my info on file. I am awaiting the online info session on May 1st to see if this program fits with my goals.

Do you mind sharing your stats?

Did you have to resend the reccomendation letters?

Did you have to resend the reccomendation letters?

I'm pretty sure my pre-health office did. My pre-health asked me for a new letter release form when I listed them on my GradCAS app, so I think they sent it

Is the Georgia campus going to have an online info session? Or did I miss it?

When’s the info session for the PA campus?

If I have a 3.2 CGPA, strong letters of rec and really unique experiences, do I have a pretty good chance of getting an admission? Also would be a little late if I applied in like 2 weeks?

If I have a 3.2 CGPA, strong letters of rec and really unique experiences, do I have a pretty good chance of getting an admission? Also would be a little late if I applied in like 2 weeks?
You will be fine the deadline is in August.

I think you have very good chances of getting in!

In case anyone didn't attend the PCOM Biomed Info session today here are some highlights:

• Term 1 will begin with Human Anatomy (6)+ Histology (4), contrary to what is noted on their website under curriculum
  • No decision has been made on whether they will be going online in the Fall just yet, classes still start in person August 2020.
  • Conditional admittance to the med school occurs if you meet the 3.3 gpa (or higher) in the program and meet 50th percentile in each MCAT subsection +necessary interview
    • guaranteed interview if you hit 3.0 gpa or higher
    • and overall sGPA 3.2 or higher as calculated by AACOMAS
  • Made a point to emphasize that everyone who qualifies must interview, there is no guaranteed bridge that would allow you to bypass that and gain entry into the DO school without an interview
    • they want to assess your maturity, understanding of medicine and DO, clinical experience, etc.
  • 51 students from the 1st and 2nd years combined matriculated into the DO program--they said not everyone who enters the Biomed program is aiming for med school
  • No seats are held for the biomed students
  • Grades for first term should be up by Thanksgiving, your whole application (primary and secondary) should be completed by Dec. 1 for consideration
    • you must request your transcript to be sent over to the med school
  • Going into a second year for a concentration is not mandatory, though they encourage it as residencies are competitive and it looks good to have a masters
  • They added a new concentration in Medical Education to the 2nd year concentration--no additional information on that yet
  • Classes are Mon, Tues, Thur 5pm-9pm
  • Stats for PCOM PA DO program 10,000 applicants, 725 interviewed, 270 accepted
  • Exams are case based, multiple choice and sometimes essays
--I didn't catch the part about recommendations. They said you need one from the committee and/or 2 science faculty but the professors in the program can't write you one early on because they don't know you well enough so I assume they mean if you're applying this cycle that you better have rec's from your undergrad ready. To gain admission you need a favorable interview and review by the DO FCA, so in a way the professors will be assessing you anyway.

I was listening to the presentation at work so if I got anything wrong by mishearing/misunderstanding feel free to point it out.

Reactions: 10 users
To send the MCAT scores, do I go to aamc and select PCOM ( would this send it to all three campuses?). I applied to PCOM for the 2019-2020 cycle so I am not sure if I even need to send it again.....

To send the MCAT scores, do I go to aamc and select PCOM ( would this send it to all three campuses?). I applied to PCOM for the 2019-2020 cycle so I am not sure if I even need to send it again.....
When I applied I spoke with their admissions advisor and they said they’ll add materials (letters, transcripts, MCAT score) to your app from your DO app, once you’ve hit submit and paid. So I emailed them requesting what I wanted and they did it almost immediately. Hope that helps!

When I applied I spoke with their admissions advisor and they said they’ll add materials (letters, transcripts, MCAT score) to your app from your DO app, once you’ve hit submit and paid. So I emailed them requesting what I wanted and they did it almost immediately. Hope that helps!
Thank you so much!!!

Just received my acceptance email for the Masters program at PCOM-GA!!

Reactions: 2 users
Did everyone write an essay under 500 words? Are they very strict about this?

Undergrad GPA 3.45
Post Bacc GPA 3.7
sGPA 3.2
Standardized test was waived because of GPA
Turned in application April 14, everything marked complete April 22nd, accepted today

With those stats you should be able to get accepted after just one year of the masters program as long as you score 50th percentile on the MCAT. Good luck!

Any apartment recommendations for PCOM-GA?

Looking for anything under 1200/month.