PCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes, please post stats! and also, how long did you wait after submitting your secondary to hear back?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Since invites look like they started again did the adcom just meet? Or not until next month, I know they met 1/15.

yes, please post stats! and also, how long did you wait after submitting your secondary to hear back?

Thanks!

I was complete at the end of September. I have average to slightly above average stats and I'm in state.

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you using DO as a backup to jeff/drex/penn?

im actually oos and jefferson was the only md program that invited me for a interview so far.

I am comfortable going in both the DO or MD route. I just want to be a physician.

Just got an invite this morning! :D SO excited, I had given up on getting to interview at PCOM. I am an OOS applicant and have above PCOM's avg GPA and avg MCAT score. Complete since mid-September.

Just got an invite this morning! :D SO excited, I had given up on getting to interview at PCOM. I am an OOS applicant and have above PCOM's avg GPA and avg MCAT score. Complete since mid-September.

what is the pcom's average mcat/gpa..i don't believe their website

under Admissions FAQ it says class of 2007 mean science GPA a 3.45 and mean MCAT 24.

i think that this averages are kinda low..is this pcom-ga or philly? pcom has a better reputation then a lot of DO (and MD) schools that have higher averages.

i think that this averages are kinda low..is this pcom-ga or philly? pcom has a better reputation then a lot of DO (and MD) schools that have higher averages.

those are probably about right for our averages. The thing is most students are skewed on one of the averages or the other meaning a really good mcat with a bad gpa or vice versa. Our reputation has to do with what our students do once they get into medical school. The school has probably produced the most DOs of any school (biggest class size of the founding five). Also unlike most of the founding five schools (except ccom) PCOM choose to set up shop in a major US city and its students made major inroads in the allopathic world. Not to mention that philadelphia was once considered the center of the medical world.

Thanks!

I am an out of state applicant. My MCAT and overall GPA are above the averages and I was complete mid-November.

Hi all,

I had my interview at PCOM. First I must say the school and people are fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Before I get into the actual interview experience I first should say I have a very unique situation so I am not sure how my feedback would help because my interview experience seems different then what I have read. I am not sure if that is good or bad but I will let you provide feedback if you wish. For privacy sake I cant nor need to get specific.

First I was a med student back in 2001 at a "neighboring DO school." I had to take a leave of absence bc my parents fell ill and it resulted in serious financial issues for them. My bro was in his third year of med school and I was in my first so it made sense for me to take a leave to care for them while my bro finished then I would go back to finish while my bro took over the care. I should prob say when I took my leave I wasnt just doing avg I was atop my class, #1 in my class academically. I say that not out of cockiness but to prove that a kid with social and economic disadvantages, low MCAT scores and avg GPA who got into school off the waitlist ranked higher then these "kids" (I say that b/c I am a non-trad student with much real life experiences) who try to intimidate you or "pysch" you out with these 35 MCAT scores or 4.0 GPA that are suppose to be "predictors." I understand they need a system to allow competition, I am just saying that dont let it fool you that you can coast through med school bc you got high MCATS, GPA, etc. Sorry I got off subject but I just see so much about "the numbers." These people at PCOM are smart, they look at much more then that. (core values, compassion, character, emotional strengh, perserverence etc). ANd some say bc there are so many standardized tests during your med school career MCATS are predictors that you have potential to do well in boards. Again my bro got low MCATS, got into med school, got very high board scores and ended up at a top anesthesia residency program. So my message is basically dont let someone or some test tell you what you can or cant do. Its doesnt message heart and determination when the chips are down!

Anyhow, during my leave I was able to finish my Masters of Science with honors. So when it was time to return I set up a return date from my leave. Turns out b/c I was misinformed about some info and NOT allowed to return even after all my pleading documented appeals. I was devastated. Years of hard work to get in, success in med school (whats a better predictor of med school success then prior med school success itself right), and doing what I thought was the noble thing to care for my parents who never turned their back on me all down the drain in one phone call. How could a MEDICAL SCHOOL not understand taking leave to CARE for my ill parents. Just didnt make sense. All they did was invite me to reapply (OO by the way by reapplying now my MCAT scores were to old and I had to retake them (years apart) working 50 hour weeks, caring for my parents and maintaining a household. Happy to say I did better. I guess I perform well under pressure. Life can humble you and teach you to be disciplined

I should note when I took my leave it was under a different Dean that understood my issue completing and was very supportive so you would think I would be grandfathered in by the former Deans decision to allow my leave vs the new dean who kept me from coming back. Well this new dean was eventually fired and other very bad things went down I will just leave it at that. Now I knew I fell through the cracks bc of this deans unethical behavior so I felt even more determined to fight back be positive and never give up and had support from many doctors and previous faculty from my prior DO school. I was allowed to shadow them to show current experience etc.

SO FINALLY TO MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE AT PCOM

I went in and basically they just wanted to know about the "other DO school" issue and it appeared the interviewers already knew all about what went down when I brought it up so there was no need to go into details. I had four Letters of Rec from physicians alone (two DO's and two MD's). One DO actually rotates PCOM student through his practice. They saw my transcripts from the other DO school showing I was passing. they saw I was a little emotional/nervous bc its a sensitive topic. I felt like I wanted to say more and I did. I was told I was in the interview for about 30 min but it felt like 15 min.

I just dont know how to view it being that all they wanted (mainly) was to clarify my prior med school experience mostly. They did ask what I would do if I didnt get in?(that question always concerns me) I said I would go back working but make the improvements necessary to warrant my RE-acceptance to med school and how my current job was just a paycheck and didnt fulfill me emotionally. I also talk about the strengths of non-trad students and thats it. I asked if the prior DO experience was a negative thing even though I did everything in my power to get back in. PCOM said not at all, if anything its a strength of my perseverance to make it back to this point. I guess I am over thinking my interview and what-if'ing things but all I know is I was genuine and that all I can be. Any opinions or feedback is welcomed. Thanks for listening.

I will be praying everyday for that acceptance letter to final have closure and complete a new chapter of my life as a PCOM DO student (which by the way was my first choice back in 2001 when I interviewed but didn't get in)

THEY TELL YOU THE ACCEPTANCE IN NOT IN A BIG PACKAGE ITS IN A NORMAL LETTER SO DONT THROW IT AWAY THINKING ITS A REJECTION LETTER!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MUCH LUCK:thumbup:

Hi all,

I had my interview at PCOM. First I must say the school and people are fantastic. I couldn't have asked for a better experience. Before I get into the actual interview experience I first should say I have a very unique situation so I am not sure how my feedback would help because my interview experience seems different then what I have read. I am not sure if that is good or bad but I will let you provide feedback if you wish. For privacy sake I cant nor need to get specific.

First I was a med student back in 2001 at a "neighboring DO school." I had to take a leave of absence bc my parents fell ill and it resulted in serious financial issues for them. My bro was in his third year of med school and I was in my first so it made sense for me to take a leave to care for them while my bro finished then I would go back to finish while my bro took over the care. I should prob say when I took my leave I wasnt just doing avg I was atop my class, #1 in my class academically. I say that not out of cockiness but to prove that a kid with social and economic disadvantages, low MCAT scores and avg GPA who got into school off the waitlist ranked higher then these "kids" (I say that b/c I am a non-trad student with much real life experiences) who try to intimidate you or "pysch" you out with these 35 MCAT scores or 4.0 GPA that are suppose to be "predictors." I understand they need a system to allow competition, I am just saying that dont let it fool you that you can coast through med school bc you got high MCATS, GPA, etc. Sorry I got off subject but I just see so much about "the numbers." These people at PCOM are smart, they look at much more then that. (core values, compassion, character, emotional strengh, perserverence etc). ANd some say bc there are so many standardized tests during your med school career MCATS are predictors that you have potential to do well in boards. Again my bro got low MCATS, got into med school, got very high board scores and ended up at a top anesthesia residency program. So my message is basically dont let someone or some test tell you what you can or cant do. Its doesnt message heart and determination when the chips are down!

Anyhow, during my leave I was able to finish my Masters of Science with honors. So when it was time to return I set up a return date from my leave. Turns out b/c I was misinformed about some info and NOT allowed to return even after all my pleading documented appeals. I was devastated. Years of hard work to get in, success in med school (whats a better predictor of med school success then prior med school success itself right), and doing what I thought was the noble thing to care for my parents who never turned their back on me all down the drain in one phone call. How could a MEDICAL SCHOOL not understand taking leave to CARE for my ill parents. Just didnt make sense. All they did was invite me to reapply (OO by the way by reapplying now my MCAT scores were to old and I had to retake them (years apart) working 50 hour weeks, caring for my parents and maintaining a household. Happy to say I did better. I guess I perform well under pressure. Life can humble you and teach you to be disciplined

I should note when I took my leave it was under a different Dean that understood my issue completing and was very supportive so you would think I would be grandfathered in by the former Deans decision to allow my leave vs the new dean who kept me from coming back. Well this new dean was eventually fired and other very bad things went down I will just leave it at that. Now I knew I fell through the cracks bc of this deans unethical behavior so I felt even more determined to fight back be positive and never give up and had support from many doctors and previous faculty from my prior DO school. I was allowed to shadow them to show current experience etc.

SO FINALLY TO MY INTERVIEW EXPERIENCE AT PCOM

I went in and basically they just wanted to know about the "other DO school" issue and it appeared the interviewers already knew all about what went down when I brought it up so there was no need to go into details. I had four Letters of Rec from physicians alone (two DO's and two MD's). One DO actually rotates PCOM student through his practice. They saw my transcripts from the other DO school showing I was passing. they saw I was a little emotional/nervous bc its a sensitive topic. I felt like I wanted to say more and I did. I was told I was in the interview for about 30 min but it felt like 15 min.

I just dont know how to view it being that all they wanted (mainly) was to clarify my prior med school experience mostly. They did ask what I would do if I didnt get in?(that question always concerns me) I said I would go back working but make the improvements necessary to warrant my RE-acceptance to med school and how my current job was just a paycheck and didnt fulfill me emotionally. I also talk about the strengths of non-trad students and thats it. I asked if the prior DO experience was a negative thing even though I did everything in my power to get back in. PCOM said not at all, if anything its a strength of my perseverance to make it back to this point. I guess I am over thinking my interview and what-if'ing things but all I know is I was genuine and that all I can be. Any opinions or feedback is welcomed. Thanks for listening.

I will be praying everyday for that acceptance letter to final have closure and complete a new chapter of my life as a PCOM DO student (which by the way was my first choice back in 2001 when I interviewed but didn't get in)

THEY TELL YOU THE ACCEPTANCE IN NOT IN A BIG PACKAGE ITS IN A NORMAL LETTER SO DONT THROW IT AWAY THINKING ITS A REJECTION LETTER!

GOOD LUCK TO ALL MUCH LUCK:thumbup:

Thanks for sharing your story and welcome aboard. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how often the committee meets and sends out interview invites?

My AACOMAS application was processed and complete on 10/21, and I got the invite 1/8.

I interviewed at the end of Jan. and our group was told we would get an answer by the middle of February. Online said 4-6 weeks. Does anyone have some feedback on how long it took to receive an answer.

Also is a Jan interview considered an early interview? I think I read they interview until May? I wonder how many seats are left.:confused:

Also I work for the govt and there is a possibility they may pay for med school when accepted (positive thinking here:D)

well 3 days post interview :scared: and 14 days until the mail box will be like a Christmas tree hoping I get to unwrap the happiest letter in my life:hardy:

I'm an accepted student! Some more questions:

I know that as an osteopathic school PCOM prepares its students for the COMLEX. But how to students do on the USMLE? What percent of students take the USMLE?

Also I know there are some great osteopathic residences at PCOM but where are they? PCOM doesn't have a hospital (i think) so where are they located? Do PCOM students have any preference for PCOM residencies?

I'm an accepted student! Some more questions:

I know that as an osteopathic school PCOM prepares its students for the COMLEX. But how to students do on the USMLE? What percent of students take the USMLE?

Also I know there are some great osteopathic residences at PCOM but where are they? PCOM doesn't have a hospital (i think) so where are they located? Do PCOM students have any preference for PCOM residencies?

I think the question that you need to ask is, "Do PCOM residencies have a preference for PCOM students?" and the answer to that is usually yes. Some other schools that have students in our residnecy programs frequently are WVSOM, UMDNJ, NSU and NYCOM among others.

We have somewhere between 25 and 30 associated clinical sites for rotations, but I am not sure how many residency programs we have exactly. Most of the residencies are rotational through multiple hospitals for a wider breadth of experience.

As for the specific locations, I don't know. Try looking around PCOM's website.

I think the question that you need to ask is, "Do PCOM residencies have a preference for PCOM students?" and the answer to that is usually yes. Some other schools that have students in our residnecy programs frequently are WVSOM, UMDNJ, NSU and NYCOM among others.

We have somewhere between 25 and 30 associated clinical sites for rotations, but I am not sure how many residency programs we have exactly. Most of the residencies are rotational through multiple hospitals for a wider breadth of experience.

As for the specific locations, I don't know. Try looking around PCOM's website.

thanks for the correction :)

Do most students have a car on campus? Is there free parking?

thanks for the correction :)

Do most students have a car on campus? Is there free parking?

your questions seem like you didn't even interview there....no free parking, and you'll most likely need a car...

Suburban area = most students have cars. Try to keep your car registered at home otherwise yo'ull be forking out a ridiculous sum for car insurance (mine would have increased from 1800/yr to 4-5k/yr. It is ~300/yr to park in the parking garage and ~150 to park down the street in the open lot. I live three blocks away and usually walk.

Its been 3 weeks since the last adcom meeting, any word when the next one will meet??????????????

should i give pcom a call or send a letter? i havent heard anything about an interview. its my top choice.

should i give pcom a call or send a letter? i havent heard anything about an interview. its my top choice.

If your file is complete, they will tell you the same thing they tell everyone else..."Your file is currently under-review". If I were you, I would send a LOI and just relax. What are your stats like, and are you instate?

i rep wilmington, de to the fullest...not a PA resident. got a 25 (10V, 8BS, 7PS) :( R and a 3.2. I'm interviewing at LECOM, but really hope i hear back from PCOM. What is usually in a LOI? I figure it would be "I like your school and blah blah."

Well, I have to say that interview feedback has let me down. Everyone seems to have had such a nice time visiting and interviewing at PCOM. Me? I had a super-stressful interview with a shrink who asked ridiculously hard questions, especially given the tight timeframe. Check this one out. "Think of the relationship of the choreography of a dance to its musical score. How is this similar to the relationship and interaction of an osteopathic physician to his patient?" Jesus.

"Think of the relationship of the choreography of a dance to its musical score. How is this similar to the relationship and interaction of an osteopathic physician to his patient?"

That's an easy question, disguised as a hard question. Remember the MCAT?

Well, I have to say that interview feedback has let me down. Everyone seems to have had such a nice time visiting and interviewing at PCOM. Me? I had a super-stressful interview with a shrink who asked ridiculously hard questions, especially given the tight timeframe. Check this one out. "Think of the relationship of the choreography of a dance to its musical score. How is this similar to the relationship and interaction of an osteopathic physician to his patient?" Jesus.

That's a disguised easy question. Though, I am not sure if I will be able to think of a right answer under stress.

That's an easy question, disguised as a hard question. Remember the MCAT?

I have been trying to forget the mcat for a long time now :)

I think that I am making the question clearer than it really was when I try to remember back now. The way I wrote it out, I can answer it pretty easily. The way he phrased it though, it was some sort of existential free-for-all.

I have been trying to forget the mcat for a long time now :)

I think that I am making the question clearer than it really was when I try to remember back now. The way I wrote it out, I can answer it pretty easily. The way he phrased it though, it was some sort of existential free-for-all.

Aww that sucks. So how did you answer the question?

I think you should have just got up and started dancing ... no one would forget the kid who danced.

Aww that sucks. So how did you answer the question?

Well, let me preface this by saying this was my fifth invite, and seventh interview, and I hadn't cracked under pressure until this point. First I asked him to rephrase the question, because it didn't make sense to me the way he had asked it. He refused. So, I preceded to close my eyes and look down (I don't remember ever having to break eye contact in any other interview) and think really carefully about how to really answer his question. I then gave some answer about how, like with the choreography, it was the job of the osteopath to complement what he was seeing in the physician and not place his on beliefs on top of what he was seeing in the patient. His job is to work in harmony with the patient and really listen. I think I did ok, but it was very stressful. Also, this came after a rudely phrased question about me being a career changer and how did I know I wouldn't want to change careers again. That's a why medicine question, but his phrasing really caught me off guard and I flubbed it :oops:

I think you should have just got up and started dancing ... no one would forget the kid who danced.

I actually offered to do that at my first interview, but the doctor declined my offer.

I was joking at the time, of course :laugh:

Well, let me preface this by saying this was my fifth invite, and seventh interview, and I hadn't cracked under pressure until this point. First I asked him to rephrase the question, because it didn't make sense to me the way he had asked it. He refused. So, I preceded to close my eyes and look down (I don't remember ever having to break eye contact in any other interview) and think really carefully about how to really answer his question. I then gave some answer about how, like with the choreography, it was the job of the osteopath to complement what he was seeing in the physician and not place his on beliefs on top of what he was seeing in the patient. His job is to work in harmony with the patient and really listen. I think I did ok, but it was very stressful. Also, this came after a rudely phrased question about me being a career changer and how did I know I wouldn't want to change careers again. That's a why medicine question, but his phrasing really caught me off guard and I flubbed it :oops:

Great answer in my opinion. I would of probably had a heart attack if that happened to me on my interview day. Oh well, its over now. Do you have anymore interviews lined up?

Ahh... sounds like you had Dr Marks. Quirky old psychiatrist with a bow-tie? I've had few odd run ins with him. Dont worry ,he is a little intimidating but overall a really nice guy when you know him.

Ahh... sounds like you had Dr Marks. Quirky old psychiatrist with a bow-tie? I've had few odd run ins with him. Dont worry ,he is a little intimidating but overall a really nice guy when you know him.

BINGO!!!

Hi Everbody,

I just got word that the adcom met yesterday, so those who interviewed in January that haven't heard anything yet be on the lookout!

Hi Everbody,

I just got word that the adcom met yesterday, so those who interviewed in January that haven't heard anything yet be on the lookout!

really? they said mid month they were meeting?

Does anyone know how I can get in touch with Marsha Williams? When I call I always get a machine. I have left a few messages, but never get a call back. Please PM me. Thanks.

They met monday morning.

no, they met on tuesday at noon. for all of you app's for this cycle, i would expect a letter thursday for those in philly and friday/saturday outside of philly.

no, they met on tuesday at noon. for all of you app's for this cycle, i would expect a letter thursday for those in philly and friday/saturday outside of philly.

My interview was on Wednesday. Looks like I have a nice long wait ahead of me :)

no mail in philly ..............

i'm patiently waiting over here today. I spoke to someone in admissions today that has me pretty scared and fearing rejection- she said something about being sent to a subcommittee which I pretended to understand because I don't want to rattle anyone up voer the phone. She then said I can expect a letter end of next week in the mail. I interviewed the end of Jan. It is now my number 1- good luck to all who are in the waiting game- i feel your pain.

i'm patiently waiting over here today. I spoke to someone in admissions today that has me pretty scared and fearing rejection- she said something about being sent to a subcommittee which I pretended to understand because I don't want to rattle anyone up voer the phone. She then said I can expect a letter end of next week in the mail. I interviewed the end of Jan. It is now my number 1- good luck to all who are in the waiting game- i feel your pain.

Were they pretty receptive to you calling and asking your status over the phone? I was complete at the beginning of October and still nothing, although it somewhat perturbs me because my GPA is just about at their average and my MCATs are higher. I also have hospital volunteer experience, and shadowed both MD and DO (sent a DO letter too). Granted i'm OOS, but I've seen other OOS'ers with lesser stats at least get invites.

Were they pretty receptive to you calling and asking your status over the phone? I was complete at the beginning of October and still nothing, although it somewhat perturbs me because my GPA is just about at their average and my MCATs are higher. I also have hospital volunteer experience, and shadowed both MD and DO (sent a DO letter too). Granted i'm OOS, but I've seen other OOS'ers with lesser stats at least get invites.
Hey, your stats look good. I am surprised you haven't heard back yet. Pcom seems to like the in staters though because I was complete before that and it took a personal call from a recent grad just to get an interview. They were pretty receptive over the phone but I was able to speak with one of my interviewers so it was a bit more personal. I feel your pain because this is my second time applying and I am in this situation with many schools. good luck! Congrats on your acceptances and I wish you many more.