PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One thing that came up was financial aid, which has got me really worried. One of the students mentioned that those applicants with a previous professional degree will not qualify for federal loans. Does anyone know this to be true?

I'm not 100% on this so you should check it out for yourself, but what I think is that there is a lifetime limit in Stafford loans, once you reach that you are done, but that you can have any limit up to the COA in GradPLUS loans.

So if the stafford lifetime is 240K and you have 100K in debt then you can only borrow 140K once you've reached that limit over the years then the rest of your loans would have to be grad plus...and the yearly limit still applies. So basically you would take out much more in grad plus vs a typical student. This is how I think it works, but once you find out for sure let us know on here so that others will know for sure.
 
You guys are lucky, at least you didn't get caught up in the melee of the new electronic systems they are implementing. I submitted all of my LORs the first week of December and they never got registered. It took until the first of february, after I had interfolio re-send them electronically for them to get posted, almost 8 full weeks later. Now I get to wait for who knows how long to hear back. I have read the great things people say about the admissions counselors at PCOM-Ga, however I have not had that experience. Trena has been out of the office frequently, so my emails have fallen through the cracks with the backlog she has to deal with when she returns. I finally did speak with her on the phone though, and she is great.

Waiting just to start waiting is not fun.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I'm not 100% on this so you should check it out for yourself, but what I think is that there is a lifetime limit in Stafford loans, once you reach that you are done, but that you can have any limit up to the COA in GradPLUS loans.

So if the stafford lifetime is 240K and you have 100K in debt then you can only borrow 140K once you've reached that limit over the years then the rest of your loans would have to be grad plus...and the yearly limit still applies. So basically you would take out much more in grad plus vs a typical student. This is how I think it works, but once you find out for sure let us know on here so that others will know for sure.

Beck, I contacted the financial aid director, but all she would tell me is that if I get accepted the financial aid packet would have all necessary info. Not sure why she wouldn't just answer my question, but anyway, that is all I can get from her.
 
Hey all..congrats to those of you who have already been accepted! I am interviewing Feb. 15th...any helpful guidance?

I have visited the school and eaten lunch with a student and everyone there was extremely nice...I think it would be an awesome environment for med school. So I am really hoping the interview goes well! Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!
 
Hey all..congrats to those of you who have already been accepted! I am interviewing Feb. 15th...any helpful guidance?

I have visited the school and eaten lunch with a student and everyone there was extremely nice...I think it would be an awesome environment for med school. So I am really hoping the interview goes well! Let me know if you have any suggestions, thanks!

Read through all the posts thus far...just about everyone talks about their interviews and what to expect. Beyond that just your generic know your application and PS, be yourself, and show and genuine interest in the school.

Good luck and good luck to those finding out this coming week...hope to see you joining us next fall.
 
for those of you who have gotten recent interview invites (past 2 weeks are so) when were you complete?
 
I'm interviewing this upcoming Tuesday. anyone else? I think I've been complete since Dec.18. Thanks for all the interview advice on this forum... i feel like i know exactly what i'm walking into and what to expect at the school 🙂 Since I'm interviewing on the 9th, does anyone have the scoop on when I should hear back from them?
 
I'm interviewing this upcoming Tuesday. anyone else? I think I've been complete since Dec.18. Thanks for all the interview advice on this forum... i feel like i know exactly what i'm walking into and what to expect at the school 🙂 Since I'm interviewing on the 9th, does anyone have the scoop on when I should hear back from them?
How long it takes depends on how long until the next adcom meeting. I know that they meet next Wednesday, but I don't know if you're group of interviewees will be in the scope of that discussion. If you are included, you could hear as soon as the day after your interview. How merciful, eh?

Regardless, you can ask your interviewers when the adcom will be meeting to review your specific app and then it's usually that day or no more than a couple after that.
 
Thread has been kind of quiet lately. Looking forward to this coming week so I can finally know what the next few yrs will be like (or not like lol). Anyway, GL to everyone else finding out. On another point, who is everyone pulling for in the superbowl?
 
Thread has been kind of quiet lately. Looking forward to this coming week so I can finally know what the next few yrs will be like (or not like lol). Anyway, GL to everyone else finding out. On another point, who is everyone pulling for in the superbowl?
Go Colts! I'm a Hoosier and we had tickets for years starting in '83 when the Colts first came to town. Endured a lot of three, four, five-win seasons pre-Peyton. Wife's a Purdue grad and thus Brees fan though. So there's some built in tension in the house - lol.

It's definitely nice to know that decisions are coming soon. Yes, no, or maybe - at least the anxiety level will be down a notch.

I have also applied for the BMS program. Anyone else?

I second the GL 2 ALL!
 
for those of you who have gotten recent interview invites (past 2 weeks are so) when were you complete?

My app was complete Jan. 12 and I have an interview coming up on Feb. 15th...good luck to all those interviewing this week!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thread has been kind of quiet lately. Looking forward to this coming week so I can finally know what the next few yrs will be like (or not like lol). Anyway, GL to everyone else finding out. On another point, who is everyone pulling for in the superbowl?

I love Peyton Manning, I really do. Quite possibly the best quarterback that has ever played the game.

But if I have no emotional investment in the teams playing in the Super Bowl, then I go for the underdog. That being said:

::sings:: Oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints, oh when the Saints come marching in....WHO DAT?! GO SAINTS!!!
 
hey, i got my interview coming up on monday for georgia-pcom 🙂 and wanted to ask wheres the best place to stay near campus (flying in from miami)? Did you guys take a taxi form the airport or rent a car? my interview time is at 2, how early do i need to show up, and how long does the interview last?

Thanks in advance.
 
anyone heard anything today??? I interviewed yesterday and know they were supposed to meet this afternoon, but haven't gotten any word... I know Trena wasn't feeling well, so maybe that's got something to do with it...
 
anyone heard anything today??? I interviewed yesterday and know they were supposed to meet this afternoon, but haven't gotten any word... I know Trena wasn't feeling well, so maybe that's got something to do with it...

Nothing. They told me to call back in the morning
 
Waitlisted - This is kind of what my gut told me. Better than rejection I guess.

Waitlisted here too...They asked that I retake the MCAT, which is offered next month. I highly doubt one month of studying will be enough to even raise my score enough to satisfy what they are looking for...not to mention the score wouldn't come back until the end of April.
 
Last edited:
Accepted. thank god! sorry to hear that you guys were waitlisted, but it's MUCH better than being outright rejected. Were you guys there on Tuesday to interview? If so, you'll remember they said that the class is only about 1/2 full at this point...you've still got plenty of time!
 
Congrats wood...join our ranks on facebook.
Sorry to hear you others were waitlisted. I bet a straight month of practice tests would do a lot for your MCAT score though. Thats was all the tome i had initially to study and i spent it just doing endess practice tests and i came out alright
 
Oh man... If you guys got waitlisted then I'm either going to be waitlisted or rejected. Bummer, it was the only school that I really followed through with and stuck to. I'm probably not going to be accepted and now I feel like a ***** and have this a sense of failure welling up inside me. Should I even bother re-applying next year if I couldn't even get in this year?🙁🙁🙁
 
Oh man... If you guys got waitlisted then I'm either going to be waitlisted or rejected. Bummer, it was the only school that I really followed through with and stuck to. I'm probably not going to be accepted and now I feel like a ***** and have this a sense of failure welling up inside me. Should I even bother re-applying next year if I couldn't even get in this year?🙁🙁🙁

Don't let this get you down! You still don't know if you're in yet or not. In the case that you are wait-listed, call the school to find out what you can do to improve upon your record. If this is your dream and this is your passion, DO NOT GIVE UP! If you have to reapply next year, I can't stress enough how important it is to apply EARLY. AACOMAS opens in May, so have it submitted by the end of the month. You will increase your chances 100000x because all the spots for the class are available and they're not as picky in the beginning.

That goes for everyone else who has been wait-listed/rejected and thinks this is the end all. It's not! Don't give up!! FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION!!!
 
Oh man... If you guys got waitlisted then I'm either going to be waitlisted or rejected. Bummer, it was the only school that I really followed through with and stuck to. I'm probably not going to be accepted and now I feel like a ***** and have this a sense of failure welling up inside me. Should I even bother re-applying next year if I couldn't even get in this year?🙁🙁🙁

Just bc some of us got waitlisted doesn't necessarily mean you will too. I must say though, all the talk about the MCAT was true, at least this late in the game. The rest of my app. wasn't enough to overcome it and in the end I got the waitlist. We all have different things that the committee will look at, so keep your head up. Like Jess said, failure is not an option, esp. if this is what you want to do. GL
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
To add to what jess said about applying early, apply broadly. Dont put all your your hope in one school. Different admissions mean different classes and sometimes you have to move a few hundred miles or go to a school that may not be you first choice...but if thats what it will take to get to your goal then who cares.
As an example about different schools and different admissions, i got immediate interviews at 5 or 6 schools, even out of my region, yet one school, not known for being any more selective and where i even had ties to the state never even offered me an interview...i thought i had a better shot here than most but they didnt want anything to do with me. It didnt hurt my feelings though, i got my top two choices, but for me just pointed out how crazy admissions can be.
oh also, talk to lawyerdoc if you do ens up having to reapply, i believe he didnt get in last year at ga-pcom but was one of the first acceptances this year...he might have some insight on how he changed their minds about his app
good luck guys
 
Do you guys know how many get pulled from the waitlist? I realize it is different each yr. It would be nice to compare from last yr.
 
Do you guys know how many get pulled from the waitlist? I realize it is different each yr. It would be nice to compare from last yr.

I would try asking some current students...not sure how many of those read this thread. Try looking at last years app thread and send some PMs to those accepted or check out the facebook group...there are several first years who have joined to share advice and such with the class of 2014
 
Do you guys know how many get pulled from the waitlist? I realize it is different each yr. It would be nice to compare from last yr.
Dr. M talked a little bit about the waitlist during our interview. He said the whole thing doesn't really start to unfold until April. That's the point by which all interviews are done, and - most importantly - real money is due. I think around that time the waitlist is 'organized' in whatever way they do it. Perhaps we will be able to get a more realistic assessment of our position then. In the interim, I'll keep the board posted with anything I may learn.
 
Teach, thanks for the suggestion. I talked to one of the first yrs and it seemed to me very few, if, anyone, gets off the waitlist. She suggested I do the biomed prgm. but, to be honest, I already have one professional degree and I don't know about taking on more debt. If I dont get in this yr I will def. have to reevaluate for next yr and see if my wife and I are still in a position for me to go back. It really is a bummer that my MCAT held me from acceptance this yr.
 
Congrats to those of you who have been accepted so far! The admissions committee has decided to delay the decision on my application. Is that different from being wait-listed?
 
So i had a pleasant surprise today when i called to make sure everything was ok since i have yet to receive a new student binder. My new student form and standards of admission were never received...250 deposit made it ok in early november but no one informed me the others were missing. Im kinda freaking out about it and the person in admissions i need to speak to has been in meetings or on the phone all day.
not cool.
 
Do you guys know how many get pulled from the waitlist? I realize it is different each yr. It would be nice to compare from last yr.

I am in the same position. I called Trena and she explained the situation better to me. So currently there is a hold list consisting of everyone who has interviewed but no decision has been made. At the end of March they review all these "hold list" applications again. At that point some may get accepted, others get put on the waitlist, and I think some might get rejected (scary). Trena said that the waitlist typically starts to move after April 19th. Hope this clears up the situation a little.
 
I am in the same position. I called Trena and she explained the situation better to me. So currently there is a hold list consisting of everyone who has interviewed but no decision has been made. At the end of March they review all these "hold list" applications again. At that point some may get accepted, others get put on the waitlist, and I think some might get rejected (scary). Trena said that the waitlist typically starts to move after April 19th. Hope this clears up the situation a little.

Thanks for the info GT, that was very informative. Def. good to know how the process works. By the way, congrats cptnKorea, haven't you also been accepted to Mercer? I thought I remembered you from another thread.
 
So i had a pleasant surprise today when i called to make sure everything was ok since i have yet to receive a new student binder. My new student form and standards of admission were never received...250 deposit made it ok in early november but no one informed me the others were missing. Im kinda freaking out about it and the person in admissions i need to speak to has been in meetings or on the phone all day.
not cool.

i hear ya. fortunately i'm known to be persistent so even though i was just recently accepted i've been consistently following up with the admissions office to check on my status.

i gave it a break for 2 weeks or so, then jealousy (from reading the thread and seeing as how other people have already received their orientation binders) forced me into calling the admissions office again today. apparently, although i've been complete, my information was never forwarded to student affairs.

bottom line, gotta keep on top of them. apparently they are the most competitive osteopathic school as of right now so they are really swamped with applications, etc.

it'll all work out dude.
 
I just freaked because i withdrew other acceptances and cancalled all my other interviews a few months ago and started to think about what i would do if the lack of paperwork lost mw my seat at ga-pcom.

I got in touch with trena and she said dont worry because one of the two forms philly said i was missing is in the computer and that its probably sitting in some folder somewhere. It put my nerves to rest to a degree but ill feel a whole lot better with that binder in my hands.
 
A good friend of mine told me this qoute she read a while back. Never say that you hope...hope expresses doubt and doubt is not a good thing in medicine.
 
Last edited:
Did the rest of you guys on hold get a letter stating so? I never received one, so I was just wondering.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I know some have, the admissions process is a big mystery

At least you all have had your interview....I've been complete since November and not a word!

I've called Trena and left messages but no return calls or emails.👎
 
So... my app has been in since August, and I haven't heard anything still, and anytime I call I get a somewhat angry reply saying that they can't tell me anything. Any ideas??
 
Your secondary has been in since aug and nothing? I would think your missing something or there is a big red flag in your app. If its the former i would call both admissions offices until someone tells you what is missing, if its the latter, figure out what it is and address it before the next app cycle. Any luck with other schools? What are your stats?