PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Buck makes some good points

👍 If you are invited to an interview you have made it through the prescreening and at that point the interview should only be a confirmation of the opinions the school has of you from looking at the paper application. You have, in essence sold yourself on paper and now you have to sell yourself in person.

Every one of you is unique (just look at our differing ages, geography of our ancestors, cultures and other characteristics). You have a unique story to tell to show the Admissions Committee how you will be a contributing member to the richness of the class. It isn't just about you - it is about what you add to the class of students and later to the profession. So, convince them that you belong in the Class of 2014
 
For those who have already had interviews, what sort of questions do they ask? How stressful was it? Is there anything I should brush up on before I attend the interview? Do I need to take a resume or C.V. with me?
 
I met with dr jenning, it was very low stress, typical interview questions. Know your application and transctipts, be prepared to talk about the info on them. No need to bring anything, just relax and be pleasant. Make sure to read what kind of sub youre getting during lunch. I didnt and landed a veggie on white bread. My only let down of the day
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I think Dr. Jenney is the one that asks the question about the most recent journal article you've read. He teaches biochem, I think. Trena informed my group of this before we interviewed. I didn't get him, but my interviewer wasn't too bad either. She (Dr. Gregory) was just very hard to read. I had no idea how well I did until I got the call from Trena a week later

Also, in reference to the sub sandwich for lunch....make sure to take the onions off or be sure to take a breath mint.

Good luck!!!
 
Im so glad PCOM has a Georgia campus! I wonder if their selectivity will increase to that of allopathic schools as the years go by?
 
I was interviewed by Dr. Craver, the Associate Dean for Clinical Studies.

It lasted about 45 minutes as time got away from both of us. It was pleasant and free flowing.

I was asked:

Why does a lawyer want to be a physician?

Why D.O.?

Why PCOM Georgia?

What specialty do I desire to pursue?

What is the weakest part of your written application?

I asked him about doing years 3 and 4 in Jacksonville, FL and how the clinical site selection process works.

It was no stress and pleasant.
 
I got an email from Trena telling me they did not offer me an interview... Reading that rejection did not feel good... 5 more schools left (RVUCOM, NJSOM, MSUCOM, UMDNJ, MCG) ... Is anyone applying to the biomed science program?? When is the dealine for Fall 2010 admittance?
 
Sorry that it didn't work out for your. I've had my fair share of 'thanks but no thanks' letters and each one's a punch in the gut. Stick with it!

I have also applied to the Biomed Sci program. You have plenty of time as they haven't even started looking at the apps yet. Also, I think most SMPs accept applications almost until the last minute (i.e., ca. July). This gives them access to the top 'almost made it' students. Good luck with your remaining opportunities!!

- Buck
 
I got an email from Trena telling me they did not offer me an interview... Reading that rejection did not feel good... 5 more schools left (RVUCOM, NJSOM, MSUCOM, UMDNJ, MCG) ... Is anyone applying to the biomed science program?? When is the dealine for Fall 2010 admittance?

I am sorry to hear that, but looks like there still may be a chance. As far as MCG I was complete there 9/1 and still haven't heard a thing. I expect a rejection after interviews are over. My friend who was just complete there on the deadline already got an interview there...so I have no idea what to think with them.
 
Hi,
can one of the current students at PCOM-GA post the cost of education per year. Preferrably the cost for a current first year med student, since that would probably be the most accurate estimate. I'm a Georgia resident, but I don't think that would affect the cost, since PCOM is a private institution. Thanks !
 
Hi,
can one of the current students at PCOM-GA post the cost of education per year. Preferrably the cost for a current first year med student, since that would probably be the most accurate estimate. I'm a Georgia resident, but I don't think that would affect the cost, since PCOM is a private institution. Thanks !

Our tuition is 37k i believe. If you take out Stafford Loans, you can get 42,800 if I am not mistaken. Most students need more money and take out Grad Plus loans, which can total up to 21,000 extra roughly.
 
Just curious what he said about how clinical stuff worked? I'm still a little confused about how that works.. for example, I plan on doing my rotations in NC... so does that mean I would rotate through the affiliated hospitals in NC? Or are there more hospitals?

I hate to break it to you, but for required rotations during your 3rd year (9/12 rotations), there aren't any options that I know of for NC. Now for electives and selectives, you can go where you want. Obviously, for 4th year you have a lot more freedom and electives, so I imagine that you could spend most of your time in NC if you chose to do so.
 
Our tuition is 37k i believe. If you take out Stafford Loans, you can get 42,800 if I am not mistaken. Most students need more money and take out Grad Plus loans, which can total up to 21,000 extra roughly.

Thanks Jwalker ! lol, $21 K extra ? What kind of expenses does that 21 K comprise ? I'd estimate that housing, food, transportation (gas, etc) can be taken care of with around $10k / year. Or are there other expenses that I've not accounted for here...
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Thanks Jwalker ! lol, $21 K extra ? What kind of expenses does that 21 K comprise ? I'd estimate that housing, food, transportation (gas, etc) can be taken care of with around $10k / year. Or are there other expenses that I've not accounted for here...

yeah, to tell you the truth I really don't know. for the past 2 years, my wife and I have only needed to take out a fraction of that grad plus option because she has been working. However, for people with families who may not be working anymore due to school, I think the 21 k is more geared towards them. golden rule is, borrow as little as possible. You can always take out more if you run out, but you cant put the extra back if you don't end up using it! Dont forget about insurance, equipment (most drop between 500-100 first term), books, coffee, and some fun money too.
 
Well guys... This is it. I have my interview tomorrow, I'm pretty nervous, and am really hoping that I get accepted. Any last minute advice? For those who got accepted, how soon did you guys find out?

:xf:
 
Well guys... This is it. I have my interview tomorrow, I'm pretty nervous, and am really hoping that I get accepted. Any last minute advice? For those who got accepted, how soon did you guys find out?

:xf:

Good luck, like others have said just be yourself. Never portray yourself to be someone your not, it will only lead to unhappiness. I interview on Feb. 1st, although I wish I was interviewing with you tom. to get it over with!
 
Well guys... This is it. I have my interview tomorrow, I'm pretty nervous, and am really hoping that I get accepted. Any last minute advice? For those who got accepted, how soon did you guys find out?

:xf:

You'll be just fine, make sure you think of some questions to ask them, they will ask you if you have any questions at the end. I found out 2 days after my interview, but maybe I just got lucky that the committee was meeting so soon after. Good luck to you! :luck:
 
Just curious what he said about how clinical stuff worked? I'm still a little confused about how that works.. for example, I plan on doing my rotations in NC... so does that mean I would rotate through the affiliated hospitals in NC? Or are there more hospitals?


During year 2, a lottary is held. Presume a class of 86 students. We all draw a number from a hat (or a bowl or whatever). If you get number 1, you pick first from all of the clinical sites available. Then the person who drew number picks followed by number 3, etc. You draw number 86, you get what is not picked by your 85 other classmates.
 
Well guys... This is it. I have my interview tomorrow, I'm pretty nervous, and am really hoping that I get accepted. Any last minute advice? For those who got accepted, how soon did you guys find out?

:xf:

I found out the day after my interview. I sent Trena an e-mail and she responded.

Good luck.
 
Good luck, like others have said just be yourself. Never portray yourself to be someone your not, it will only lead to unhappiness. I interview on Feb. 1st, although I wish I was interviewing with you tom. to get it over with!

Thanks man!! I guess I'll have to hope for the best and just go from there.🙂:xf::luck:
 
Well guys... This is it. I have my interview tomorrow, I'm pretty nervous, and am really hoping that I get accepted. Any last minute advice? For those who got accepted, how soon did you guys find out?

:xf:

I found out about 10 days after I interviewed. Trena told my group that they ad com meets every other week. Ask her when they are to meet next. You can send her an email. She called me to let me know that I had been accepted.

Good luck!!
 
Just finished my first interview. The campus is beautiful and staff and students are simply amazing. This is officially where I want to go to school. Unfortunately, my interviewers think my MCAT score is holding me back (and I agree with them). They want a 26 total with at least an 8 in each of the sections. Now I'm taking the MCAT this Saturday. Hopefully I do well enough to get into the school. GA-PCOM has had about 3,000 applicants this year and have only given interviews to 300 (so well done to everyone who got one, and congratulations to everyone who got in!!!).

I really hope that I become a part of GA-PCOM's D.O. class of 2014.
 
Just finished my first interview. The campus is beautiful and staff and students are simply amazing. This is officially where I want to go to school. Unfortunately, my interviewers think my MCAT score is holding me back (and I agree with them). They want a 26 total with at least an 8 in each of the sections. Now I'm taking the MCAT this Saturday. Hopefully I do well enough to get into the school. GA-PCOM has had about 3,000 applicants this year and have only given interviews to 300 (so well done to everyone who got one, and congratulations to everyone who got in!!!).

I really hope that I become a part of GA-PCOM's D.O. class of 2014.

Crap...my mcat is going to kill my interview. Hopefully, that isn't all they focus on.
 
Crap...my mcat is going to kill my interview. Hopefully, that isn't all they focus on.

My interview went great, and my MCAT was barely mentioned (26P B10, V10, P6) during the interview. But I was deferred post-interview because of my MCAT score (one section less than 8 I assume). It is a great school, but it is EXTREMELY competitive this year! Don't let the MCAT talk get you down...Go to the interview, and knock it out of the park! There are several people who HAVE gotten in with much lower MCAT scores! I wish everyone who still has an interview the best of luck!
 
Did anyone use the examkrackers books to study for the MCAT? And if so, was it useful?

I did and they were very helpful. Especially if you accompany them with the audio osmosis CDs. I was able to raise my MCAT score by 5 points. I am also gonna be attending GA-PCOM this fall.
 
I got an email from Trena telling me they did not offer me an interview... Reading that rejection did not feel good... 5 more schools left (RVUCOM, NJSOM, MSUCOM, UMDNJ, MCG) ... Is anyone applying to the biomed science program?? When is the dealine for Fall 2010 admittance?

I did the Biomed program and I must say that this really helped me to get accepted.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
hey guys, I just got a rejection letter. unsure as to what's going on. didn't get into vcom either. just feel like I deserve a chance. my interview with georgia went especially well and they really seemed to like me.

34s mcat and 3.53cgpa, 3.38 sgpa, good school. can I do something? should I call? any ideas about anything?
 
FYI... If you there is a chance that the Admissions office received your LORs before your secondary you are most likely going to have to call them to get them to put your LORs into your file and make your file complete... It takes 2 minutes top. Thanks to whoever suggested I call based on their prior experiences with getting complete at PCOM.
 
hey guys, I just got a rejection letter. unsure as to what's going on. didn't get into vcom either. just feel like I deserve a chance. my interview with georgia went especially well and they really seemed to like me.

34s mcat and 3.53cgpa, 3.38 sgpa, good school. can I do something? should I call? any ideas about anything?

Great stats, sorry to hear about the decision. How do you feel like your interview went? Not implying that this was the case for you, but sometimes I hear that students come in with an arrogant attitude and say things that throw up red flags during the interview that can doom your decision. If you want to PM me who interviewed you, that could maybe shed some light on it.

Your scores alone make you stand out as a strong candidate, so something else must be going on with either your app or your interviews. Hang in there, youve got the smarts to be able to to succeed.
 
Interviewed yesterday and it was a great experience. My interviewers were Drs. Matayoshi and Aduonum. As has been mentioned before, it was a very relaxed environment, but did involve a lot of engaging discussion. Most questions directed to were specific to my app, and not just general in nature (e.g., why DO). I was very impressed with my interviewers and concluded that I would enjoy them teaching my classes.

Apparently the next adcom meeting is on Feb 10, so those of us who are currently pending should get more info soon after.

Until then, best wishes and good luck to all!

- Buck
 
I'm sure you did fine Buck. By the way, (for those who interviewed) my interviewers were two Caucasian men. One Dr. was bald on the top, but had hair on the sides, and said that he was a neurologist. The other wore glasses and had greyish, white hair. Both had extremely friendly personalities and were very laid back. Does anyone know the last names of the doctors I'm talking about?
 
I'm sure you did fine Buck. By the way, (for those who interviewed) my interviewers were two Caucasian men. One Dr. was bald on the top, but had hair on the sides, and said that he was a neurologist. The other wore glasses and had greyish, white hair. Both had extremely friendly personalities and were very laid back. Does anyone know the last names of the doctors I'm talking about?

I think I recall them, but I don't know their name. Here is a hotlink to the PCOM-GA faculty that may help.

http://www.pcom.edu/General_Information/georgia/ga_faculty/ga_faculty.html

Some of the faculty have a bio page with their picture attached. Perhaps your inteviewers will be in that group. For those faculty members who don't have a bio, you might be able to find a photo via Yahoo or Google.

- Buck
 
I'm sure you did fine Buck. By the way, (for those who interviewed) my interviewers were two Caucasian men. One Dr. was bald on the top, but had hair on the sides, and said that he was a neurologist. The other wore glasses and had greyish, white hair. Both had extremely friendly personalities and were very laid back. Does anyone know the last names of the doctors I'm talking about?

the first is harold komiskey. the second could be fred mitchell, randall gregg, francis jenney?
 
how long did it take you guys to hear about an interview. i have been complete since 1/13 and still no peep!
 
Oh hunny, not for nothing, but don't expect to hear anything until mid February at the very least

Just like Jess said, it takes a few weeks for them to put everything together and then send you an email saying you have a interview. It took about 3.5 weeks for me to hear about my interview. Hang tight dude(tte).
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Call Trena G and ask her where your application stands? It may have been lost in the shuffle and phone call may be all it takes to get an interview.

Speaking of.interviews, mine is coming up Monday. Looking forward to it and hoping it goes well.
 
Dude I'm sure you will be fine. I'm almost positive that this isn't your first interview (unlike me). Very small campus, but the people are amazing. Definitely where I want to go this fall (if I get accepted).

Peace and remember life: its a beautiful thing (I have no idea where I got this quote from...)😕
 
Well good luck. Let us know how it goes.

Hey guys, back from my interview, actually I was the first one to interview. I think it went extremely well, although they did spend some time on my MCAT score, which has already been mentioned. The interview was more of chat, with very few "standard" questions asked. Mainly, they asked me about my file and specifics about my pharmacy background. The only standard questions they asked were to tell them a little about myself and what I do for fun. I guess it is always good when the interviewers say that they thoroughly enjoyed our interview.

The campus is great and their use of technology is awesome. One thing that came up was financial aid, which has got me really worried. One of the students mentioned that those applicants with a previous professional degree will not qualify for federal loans. Does anyone know this to be true? If so, I am in some deep **** on whether or not I will even be able to afford school. I really hope this isn't the case and if it is, I wish I had known that before spending the money I have to apply this year.

I understand what people mean when they say PCOM has a warehouse feel, but I think they have turned it into a great campus with additional areas coming for their PharmD program next year.

If anyone has any questions let me know!