PCOM - Georgia Campus 2009 -2010

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi everyone!

So I interviewed with GA-PCOM in Dec and Trena told me that no decision has been made yet...which basically equals waitlist. Does anyone have any idea how the GA-PCOM waitlist works? If applicants are ranked based on credentials or is it based on who interviewed first? Average movement of the waitlist? etc. etc. This is so nerve racking! I plan on asking Trena these questions but I thought I would try here first.
 
Last edited:
I was told that in some years as many as 10 -15 applicants are offered admission after April 15th. Some years it is one or two. A deposit of $2,000 is due on or before that date. Applicants with multiple acceptances have to make their final decision. Most don't want to pay two or more large deposits. The "wait list" is then reviewed to fill the seats from students who were offered admission but failed to pay the large deposit.

Other applicants are offered admission if there is a "no show" at orientation in August. You might only have a day or two to get to school before classes begin the following week.

I do not know how the list is ranked.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi All - First time posting here.

My application was complete on 12/15 and I received an interview invite on 01/04 for 01/26. Getting my app to 'complete' status required a few phone calls to make sure all of the little things were taken care of. Ultimately it was a conversation with a Philly rep that got it done. If you're still incomplete, I recommend agressive follow up, otherwise your app may just sit there.

It seems the general suspicion here is that most if not all seats are already promised and that only the waitlist option remains. I hope that's not the case. When I'm there in a couple of weeks, I will inquire about the class' status and give everyone an update.

I have also applied to the Philly campus. Has anyone here done that too? If so, have you heard anything?

Best,

Buck
 
So...can anyone verify that they are full and now interviewing for the waitlist? This process is so frustrating! 😡😕

Sorry I did not mean to imply that the class is full...I do not know how much of the class is full...I was just told that I was on the waitlist, and to not expect any movement of the waitlist until after April 15...Sorry for any confusion!
 
Sorry I did not mean to imply that the class is full...I do not know how much of the class is full...I was just told that I was on the waitlist, and to not expect any movement of the waitlist until after April 15...Sorry for any confusion!

They can't possibly interview applicants until March and already have a full class. What is the point of having the secondary deadline so late then? I think the majority of the class has been filled, but there should still be positions for those that applied later. If they fill the class by December, then they need to move the application deadline back respectively.
 
30L (10-11-9). Some really rough spots on the undergrad transcript. Good grad school grades, but it wasn't in science (MBA). Biochem and physio last summer with A's. Good resume, ECs, LORs. I'm older (37). Second time I've applied. Pretty much sums it up. I'll let you know how it all adds up as soon as I know.

Any one looking at a post-bac option for plan B?

Buck
 
Interview and Waitlist for me....26P (B10, V10, P6)...Was told that to be "more competitive" I need to retake the MCAT and get at least an 8 in Physics. I think that is the cut they are using right now (8 in each section). That is the impression I got when I spoke to Trena a few weeks after my interview. I'm already accepted elsewhere, so I am definitely NOT taking the MCAT again! Best of luck to everyone!
 
Interview and Waitlist for me....26P (B10, V10, P6)...Was told that to be "more competitive" I need to retake the MCAT and get at least an 8 in Physics. I think that is the cut they are using right now (8 in each section). That is the impression I got when I spoke to Trena a few weeks after my interview. I'm already accepted elsewhere, so I am definitely NOT taking the MCAT again! Best of luck to everyone!

I really do not know what to think at this point. I know someone on this thread has been accepted with a MCAT of 21. I got an interview for Feb. 1st. and made a 23 (8/8/7), but then again I have already been through professional school once and graduated magna cum laude (Pharm.D). I guess that off set my low MCAT...I dont know. I wish everyone else luck for the rest of this cycle and I am praying for myself as this is my first and only interview, no surprise.
 
That's all I have received and everything is marked as "received". Can someone comment as to what appears in the STATUS box if they have had an interview or been accepted? 😕
Thanks those of waiting really appreciate hearing from those who have "been there - done that".

Can someone post the link to where applicants to PCOM-GA can check their status online? I received an e-mail like a week ago, stating that the PCOM-GA applicants can check their application status online.

Thanks !
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
What did you guys get on your MCATs (those who have been accepted or have received an interview)?

25P (PS 6, VR 11, BS 8), solid cGPA and sGPA, not too many ECs (just volunterring) but lots of work experience. I was interviewed and accepted in mid-October, so they're getting to be pickier as the months roll along. Good luck and wow and dazzle them at the interview 😎
 
I really do not know what to think at this point. I know someone on this thread has been accepted with a MCAT of 21. I got an interview for Feb. 1st. and made a 23 (8/8/7), but then again I have already been through professional school once and graduated magna cum laude (Pharm.D). I guess that off set my low MCAT...I dont know. I wish everyone else luck for the rest of this cycle and I am praying for myself as this is my first and only interview, no surprise.

I'm the guy accepted with a 21 MCAT (22 if you take the highest scores from two attempts). Undergraduate GPA is 3.3 science and oterwise. It helped that I finished Law School with honors (top 10%) of class plus my wisdom of age.

I applied very early and interviewed early. I think that the scores go up as the cycle progresses. Your professional degree should help. Good luck at your interview.
 
Wow! Congrats to all of those who have gotten interviews so far. I just checked my status and all of the requirements appeared to have been complete by December 28, 2009. How long is it usually until the committee sends the interview email? Who sends it by the way (PCOM or GA-PCOM)?
 
Wow! Congrats to all of those who have gotten interviews so far. I just checked my status and all of the requirements appeared to have been complete by December 28, 2009. How long is it usually until the committee sends the interview email? Who sends it by the way (PCOM or GA-PCOM)?

If I remember correctly, you receive an email from GAInterview@PCOM or something like that. It tells you the date and time you need to be there. You have to reply to that message to confirm. If you go back a page or two you can see where I said I was complete, and then you can see a page or two ahead of that when I was offered an interview.

I don't think there is a standard time frame between the two. It seems like times varied for most people on here.
 
Last edited:
I'm the guy accepted with a 21 MCAT (22 if you take the highest scores from two attempts). Undergraduate GPA is 3.3 science and oterwise. It helped that I finished Law School with honors (top 10%) of class plus my wisdom of age.

I applied very early and interviewed early. I think that the scores go up as the cycle progresses. Your professional degree should help. Good luck at your interview.

Congrats on your acceptance and thanks for the luck, hopefully will be able to join you at PCOM-GA!
 
I got my grades from the fall semester and I am sure that it would increase my overall and science GPAs. However, I don't know if a higher GPA (my current is a 3.51) at this point and time will make me a better candidate (unlike the MCAT, which Trena recommended I take in January). Does anybody have any suggestions?
 
I got my grades from the fall semester and I am sure that it would increase my overall and science GPAs. However, I don't know if a higher GPA (my current is a 3.51) at this point and time will make me a better candidate (unlike the MCAT, which Trena recommended I take in January). Does anybody have any suggestions?

Send them your updated transcript and take Trena's suggestion with the MCAT thing.
 
I received the e-mail yesterday with all the info to check my status, saying that they had received my secondary application and my check... so I logged on and checked it. I am confused because it is still showing that they do not have my LORs... which were sent electronically through Interfolio about a week before my secondary... The email mentioned something about waiting 10 days to allow the office staff time to gather all the materials... Should I really wait 10 days this late in the game or should I go ahead and call them and check to see if they have received my LORs?
 
You should call. I am a reapplicant who has now applied to the GA campus twice and the Philly campus once. In all three cases I've had to call to get everything in order. My experience is that it's best to stay on top of it. They're very nice and helpful, but their admin processes seem to be lacking. It's pretty easy to slip through the cracks.
 
Ok, thanks...I definitely don't want my application to slip through the cracks either... I will give them a call this afternoon
 
30L (10-11-9). Some really rough spots on the undergrad transcript. Good grad school grades, but it wasn't in science (MBA). Biochem and physio last summer with A's. Good resume, ECs, LORs. I'm older (37). Second time I've applied. Pretty much sums it up. I'll let you know how it all adds up as soon as I know.

Any one looking at a post-bac option for plan B?

Buck

Buck,

First, your age of 37 is not an impediment. I'm 52 and got accepted. So 37 is young. Use your "wisodom of age" as a positive at your interview. I too was a reapplicant from last year. PCOM GA has quite a lot of non traditional students.

Good luck at the interview. For those in a panic mode, chill out a little. The schools were closed down for about two weeks for the Christmas to New Year / Winter break. Things will gear up again now.

I talked to some folks that I know at the school including a D.O. who teaches as an adjunct professor and interviews applicants. The class is not full so they are not interviewing only for the waitlist yet.

On Facebook, the Class of 2014 has only 14 members so far. While that does not indicate that everyone accepted has joined it is still a low number. I have been told that only about half the class is full presuming everyone who sent in their $250 deposit will actually pay the $2,000 by April 15th.

Your stats look good. Good luck at your interview. For everyone else still hopeful for an interview, I wouldn't worry too much until after February.
 
I got an Interview (January 25th)!! I am stoked but am also really nervous. I don't know if I may be wait listed! I am a stereotypical applicant (Asian, male, 21 years, about to graduate from a 4 year university the end of this semester, biology major, etc.) and I really hope that it doesn't work against me. I really hope I get into this school...:xf:
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Although I was born and raised in NC, I am of Sindhi descent.

Yeah, I was born and raised in TN, although I have a feeling I am prob. 4-6 yrs older than you. I guess i will know what it was like for the non trads when I was in pharm school Haha (assuming I can get in)..
 
I got an Interview (January 25th)!! I am stoked but am also really nervous. I don't know if I may be wait listed! I am a stereotypical applicant (Asian, male, 21 years, about to graduate from a 4 year university the end of this semester, biology major, etc.) and I really hope that it doesn't work against me. I really hope I get into this school...:xf:

Don't be worried or nervous. Be yourself and be honest at your interview. Most of applicants accepted will be just like you - a "traditional" applicant fresh out of college with a science degree. Those facts won't work against you. The matriculated class will have a broad spectrum of people in it including "traditional" folks.

Good luck at your interview!
 
What are some of the reasons why someone would get wait listed? What are the chances of being accepted once you reach the interview level?

Thanks everyone!
 
What are some of the reasons why someone would get wait listed? What are the chances of being accepted once you reach the interview level?

Thanks everyone!

I was waitlisted because of my MCAT. I was told when I asked about it that they wanted all sections of the MCAT above an 8 for now (I screwed up Physics).
 
I was waitlisted because of my MCAT. I was told when I asked about it that they wanted all sections of the MCAT above an 8 for now (I screwed up Physics).

Why would they even send out an invitation to interview if they want a min. of 8 per section? Seems like a waste of time to me. No offense to you, just a general comment.
 
I'm going to have to second the above comment... if they really won't consider our applications because we are < 8 in a section on MCAT they should not send us a secondary. Secondaries take time, effort and money... and lets face it, all of us applicants don't have unlimited time and money to put into these things, so we'd appreciate not wasting our time on applications to school that we have zero chance of getting accepted to.

None of these numbers are published, I don't believe though... so in that case we are all just speculating...
 
Most medical schools (including GA-PCOM) send all their applicants secondaries (mainly as a way of making extra money). Some schools just have the interview as formality, while others actually use it as another level of elimination.
 
Has anyone within the past month gotten into GA-PCOM with a 6 or 7 in one of their MCAT sections?
 
Last edited:
Why would they even send out an invitation to interview if they want a min. of 8 per section? Seems like a waste of time to me. No offense to you, just a general comment.

Who knows, but that is what I was told. From what I have heard the applicant pool has been more competitive than in the past, and maybe they are trying to increase their overall numbers. I am not too concerned, I have other acceptances, but I'm a little bummed. I really liked the school. Oh well, everything in life happens for a reason!🙂
 
So if they don't accept anything less than a 28 or 29, then I guess I really don't have that much of a shot (MCAT of 23 and GPA of 3.52)🙁
 
Thunder - Given the diversity of those accepted thus far, I don't think anyone can be ruled out by MCAT or GPA alone. Certainly a low number in one or the other isn't helpful, but it looks like there is at least one exception to this, and there are probably more. The fact that you have an interview indicates to me that you're still in the game. (I didn't get one last year, so I don't think interviews-for-all is the norm.)

Given what little bit we can deduce from our small sample here, they will listen to and consider life stories. Considering that, get yours together and be ready to tell it to them, while also listening and doing your best to stay relaxed. Tell them what you've got and what you'll bring. If it doesn't work out, try your hardest to find out why, work on it, and tell them about it the next time around.

That's the only game I know how to play, and I'm in my second year of it. I'm not in anywhere, but I've definitely made it further than last year with that approach. If it doesn't work out for me, I'm just going to keep hammering at it. My most trusted advisor, who happens to be a reputable local M.D., said, "Keep applying. They'll recognize it and let you in."

I'm buyin' it.
 
So if they don't accept anything less than a 28 or 29, then I guess I really don't have that much of a shot (MCAT of 23 and GPA of 3.52)🙁

Thay have accepted some applicants with lower MCAT scores (21 and 22's), they just told me they want my MCAT to be higher (26P (B10, V10, P6)). I have heard others say the same thing about having a section of less than 8. Don't get discouraged, just be ready to play the game!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So if they don't accept anything less than a 28 or 29, then I guess I really don't have that much of a shot (MCAT of 23 and GPA of 3.52)🙁

Don't be too discouraged. If it just so happens that you're not taken in this year, fear not. You'll increase your chances 10-fold by applying EARLY next cycle. I was complete with all my schools by the end of August and I was interviewed and accepted by GA-PCOM in October. The earlier in the cycle, the less picky they are (for example, I got in with a 3.3 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 25P [PS 6, VR 11, BS 8]). Also, during your interview, if you really want to be a DO for it's philosophy of medicine, push that. Make sure you let them know this is the course of study you want to follow.

Good luck to you! :xf::luck:
 
Don't be too discouraged. If it just so happens that you're not taken in this year, fear not. You'll increase your chances 10-fold by applying EARLY next cycle. I was complete with all my schools by the end of August and I was interviewed and accepted by GA-PCOM in October. The earlier in the cycle, the less picky they are (for example, I got in with a 3.3 sGPA, 3.6 cGPA, 25P [PS 6, VR 11, BS 8]). Also, during your interview, if you really want to be a DO for it's philosophy of medicine, push that. Make sure you let them know this is the course of study you want to follow.

Good luck to you! :xf::luck:

Jessica is 100% correct. I applied late last year and was interviewed in February - I was waitlisted and was told improve my MCAT score. Nothing changed. I applied early this year - was complete in August and was interviewed in October and accepted. I stressed my honest belief that I wanted to be a D.O. and wasn't even applying to M.D. schools.
 
Should I expect to get a confirmation email once they have received my initial deposit? I sent mine in a week ago and the deadline is fast approaching, but I wont sleep well until I know they have it in hand. Any suggestions?