PCOM residency match??

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mass51

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Anyone know where I could find a PCOM residency list for the most recent class(es)? I emailed the school last week but never heard anything back. thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Great Question!

JP?

Great Question, I'd like to know too!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey all.

Would have answered sooner but I had a turkey leg in one hand and the TV remote in the other. (Go Patriots!).

PCOM, as far as I know, does not publish the match list for the senior class.

I think they do, however, have a list of where the students match in an Annual report given to seniors. I am not sure if this is part of the yearbook or what. But I know the graduates do get a list of their classmates and post-graduate destinations.

I will try to get in touch with a recent graduate friend of mine to clarify and to maybe get a copy.

As far as information from Admissions, they reported that the graduating class of 2001 had 52% match into specialty spots and 48% into primary care. The first year in PCOM history that the balance was shifted away from the Primary Care end.

Sorry I couldn't be of more service, but hope this information helps a bit.

If you asked because you are worried about PCOM matching its students into great places, I wouldn't see that as a condition not to choose to attend PCOM. We can boast some great grads going to great hospitals, and the places in the Philadelphia area know our school. And where better to train than in Philadelphia? It really is a great city with strong medical programs.

Happy Thanksgiving and best of wishes to all of you and your loved ones.

JP

Has anyone been able to find a recent listing of PCOM residency matches?? The deposit deadline is coming up and it's the final deciding factor in my decision. please help!!!!

I don't see how this could be the final deciding factor.

Which school you attend is generally regarded as a meaningless factor inresidency placement.

Board scores, rotation grades, letters of recommendation, and the interview are the top things that matter. Research, 1st and 2nd year grades, and other activities follow after those.

It seems pretty amazing that the 2 schools you are looking at are so alike that this is the deciding factor.

PCOM matches people all over. MD and DO residencies.

Originally posted by JPHazelton
I don't see how this could be the final deciding factor.

Which school you attend is generally regarded as a meaningless factor inresidency placement.

Board scores, rotation grades, letters of recommendation, and the interview are the top things that matter. Research, 1st and 2nd year grades, and other activities follow after those.

It seems pretty amazing that the 2 schools you are looking at are so alike that this is the deciding factor.

PCOM matches people all over. MD and DO residencies.

Jp - I have to somewhat disagree with you here. Granted, while residency placement is in a big part dependant on the individual student, that student's ability to do well on the boards and in clinical rotations is highly dependent on the undergraduate training. Plus, there are other factors, including reputation of the school and performance of past students at hospital/training site that have significant influence.

I have found it difficult to choose between DO schools because, putting aside things like location and class size, the schools are in general very similiar across the board when it comes to gpas and mcats. Therefore, assuming I really liked two schools, I am left with very few objective variables with which to make my decision: school reputation (different depending on who you talk to), curriculum structure, faculty (which is very difficult since I met only a few during the interview day), and resident match rates/sites. Don't get me wrong, I absolutely loved PCOM when I visited, and am confident that it is a very strong program. However, I am VERY concerned that the school does not make the residency match list public. It makes me feel as though they are trying to hide something. If their top students matched into top programs, wouldn't they want to brag about it??

Mass,
I asked for this information durring the interview and was directed to the Office of Student Affairs. Try contacting them.