PCOM vs NYCOM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

NeuroticPremed

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I've been accepted to both PCOM and NYCOM and since I'm from the NYC area, I'm conflicted about which school to attend. I believe both schools have very similar facilities/technology, location to large cities/home, and competative residency placements. Thus, I'd like to ask some questions to see if they can help me decide. Here are the things I wonder:

Which school has gives one the best chances in obtaining a non-primary care and non-surgical residency like neurology or gastroenterology?
Which school offers more of a social life or activities outside academics?
Which school has a friendlier atomsphere?
What's the Asian Pacific population in either school?
Any other comments about the pros and cons of either school is appreciated.

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and information offered.

Members don't see this ad.

NeuroticPremed said:
Hi, I've been accepted to both PCOM and NYCOM and since I'm from the NYC area, I'm conflicted about which school to attend. I believe both schools have very similar facilities/technology, location to large cities/home, and competative residency placements. Thus, I'd like to ask some questions to see if they can help me decide. Here are the things I wonder:

Which school has gives one the best chances in obtaining a non-primary care and non-surgical residency like neurology or gastroenterology?

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and information offered.

If it means anything PCOM is the only DO med school (and actually top 10 medical school overall both MD and DO) in the top 10 of usnews schools with lesser students entering primary care.

I interviewed and was accepted at both schools too. However, I can only answer your questions from the PCOM perspective.

Which school has/ gives one the best chances in obtaining a non-primary care and non-surgical residency like neurology or gastroenterology?
This is a value that can not be measured unless you review the match lists for these schools over several years. I don't think anyone can find this data. I can tell you that at PCOM we have access to internal medicine specialty rotations in both neuro and GI as early as our 3rd-year. I suppose that early exposure could encourage the student to augment their network, thereby slighty improving their odds at entering residency. Every year more PCOM graduates enter specialty tracts than the prior year.

At PCOM we have over 50 individual clubs and an exceptional social life. Each class elects social chairs, which have shown a strong ability to arrange fun activities post-test and on the weekends.

Who knows? We're very friendly here! It depends on the year.

Not nearly as high as I have experienced in NY public schools. However, we do have an active Asian and Pacific American Medical Student Association (APAMSA), multi-cultural events, and a professor who runs sushi-tasting activities :)

I think the largest con shared by both NYCOM and PCOM is that each school lacks an on-campus hospital. PCOM lost its hospital due to economic problems several years ago but has compensated for this loss by acquiring a large clinical education network and by housing many private practices on campus. NYCOM seems to lack this ability since it is surrounded by an undergrad institution. PCOM is also located right inbetween a large city and comfortable suburbs so it is easy to find the hang-out location of your choice and clinical rotation sites that match the population you wish to experience as a rotating student. PCOM Student Affairs and student government make great strides to make the learning environment fun and comfortable and administration is extremely receptive to student concerns.

I hope this has been helpful. I would encourage you to visit PCOM on an off-day and get a real feel for the environment on campus. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the social scene I have I'd say it's probably better at PCOM because it is in Phily. NYCOM is in an upperclass suberb about a 45 minute drive from NYC.

I would say choose PCOM but then again I'm waitlisted at NYCOM and it's my top choice :D

JasonUD said:
As for the social scene I have I'd say it's probably better at PCOM because it is in Phily. NYCOM is in an upperclass suberb about a 45 minute drive from NYC.

I would say choose PCOM but then again I'm waitlisted at NYCOM and it's my top choice :D
I would say without traffic, it's only 30 mins. I made it to the Meadowlands in 45 mins on my way home from NYCOM. :cool: Hope you get in, Jason. :luck: