*****pcsom 2009*****

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello Everyone,
I'm david, I interviewed in April and was accepted! I just received my financial aid packed from Teresa. I just think it is funny, I'm in my late 30 's and the government still needs my parents info! :laugh: Well, I just wanted to say introduce my self and look forward to meeting everyone!

David

PS
Aaron, you may not recall who I am, but I sure do appreciate all the time you spent answering my questions and chatting with me on my interview day!

Members don't see this ad.

whats up yall?
congrats david. yeah, i thought it was strange to need my parents info too. my parents thought it was crazy, but they gave it up anyway.
ark, that trip to wyoming sounds awesome. i had a buddy that lived in jackson hole for a few years. i wanted to do some hiking this summer, but alas, i must work :thumbdown: . where are you boating? i'll prob be down at cumberland a good bit this summer.
jessie... europe... sweet!!!
aaron, i can't wait to see what you all have planned for our orientation week. i imagine it will be lots of alcohol and sex and general debauchery :laugh: . i also look forward to seeing our survival guide. i guess you're revising it to include any of the pitfalls the class of '08 may (or may not) have experienced. much appreciated.
i don't know how i'm gonna deal with the next coupla months. i've got spring fever, cabin fever, yellow fever (no, wait, not that) and according to my family, i'm antsy :confused: . definitely can't wait to get started. see yall soon.

k

Members don't see this ad :)
kendall said:
aaron, i can't wait to see what you all have planned for our orientation week. i imagine it will be lots of alcohol and sex and general debauchery :laugh:
k

Hmmmm...... debauchery....... hahahahahaa...

You guys will have fun. We have something planned every day and evening the entire week. We will have Osteoblast on Sunday afternoon, which is a lot of fun.....

I know that you are all excited about school... and that really makes me happy. School is fun, but it is very frustrating at times. It seems like all you do is study and take exams. PCSOM is a great school, with great people. I am really lucky... I love my classmates, they are amazing people and we get along very well for the most part.

One thing i want to encourage you ALL to do is become involved in Extracurricular clubs and activities. The club officers and I are wanting to see the first year's become more involved. A few of my classmates and I just returned from DO Day on the Hill in Washington DC. It was both rewarding and educational... and not to mention a lot of fun... hahahaha

Anyway, enjoy your summer and get lots of rest. Look forward to seeing you all in 4 months.

ACE

Thanks Aaron,
I'm definately ready. However, I'm still in a bit of awe of being a osteo med student now!!

I noticed some posts dealing with housing; does anyone know the cost of renting a house outside of town? I prefer intown, thougth it may be too expensive...

Aaron, I would love to be as involved as possible. My only consideration is I need to be around for my son as much as possible...Oh, I recall meeting a Paul on my interview day he gave me an email address, but I'm not sure if it is correct. Aaron, if you felt comfortable could you PM his email to me...Paul, he spoke at lenght on how he balances the whole children and family issue while at PCSOM....well thanks, and Cheers everyone till August!!!

Hmmm, I know what an osteoblast per physiology, but what do you mean in this contex?

david.pcsom said:
I noticed some posts dealing with housing; does anyone know the cost of renting a house outside of town? I prefer intown, thougth it may be too expensive...

If you are married with kids you may be in a different boat then a lot of your single classmates as far as housing is concerned. My wife stays home with my son (and daughter come July) and we live in a government subsidized complex about a mile from school. I believe the rent was about $315 for our three-bedroom appartment, when we moved in last August. It went up a little bit in January but I don't know how much because we qualify for government assistance (Ah the perks of being a married medical student with kids). At any rate the housing authority ((606)432-8124) works with 4 or 5 appartment complexes in town and anyone can live at these complexes if there are openings, but if there are no openings only those who qualify (ie. kids/wife) can get on the wait list. There were 3 open appartments in my complex the week before school started last year.

Let me know if this helps or if you want any more information.

If any of the rest of you are married with kids and are interested in housing, food stamps, etc let me know and I can get you the information you will need.

inhope said:
Hmmm, I know what an osteoblast per physiology, but what do you mean in this contex?

One of the many social events during orientation week.

Hello everyone and welcome to PCSOM. I look forward to meeting you all this fall.

Any Mississippi folks in class of 09?

David.pcsom, I sent you a PM

simtech said:
Hello everyone and welcome to PCSOM. I look forward to meeting you all this fall.

Any Mississippi folks in class of 09?

David.pcsom, I sent you a PM

Hay Thanks! Looking forward to meeting everyone!!

jawicobike said:
If you are married with kids you may be in a different boat then a lot of your single classmates as far as housing is concerned. My wife stays home with my son (and daughter come July) and we live in a government subsidized complex about a mile from school. I believe the rent was about $315 for our three-bedroom appartment, when we moved in last August. It went up a little bit in January but I don't know how much because we qualify for government assistance (Ah the perks of being a married medical student with kids). At any rate the housing authority ((606)432-8124) works with 4 or 5 appartment complexes in town and anyone can live at these complexes if there are openings, but if there are no openings only those who qualify (ie. kids/wife) can get on the wait list. There were 3 open appartments in my complex the week before school started last year.

Let me know if this helps or if you want any more information.

If any of the rest of you are married with kids and are interested in housing, food stamps, etc let me know and I can get you the information you will need.

Thanks for the info, I'm a single dad. I hope that helps matters...Again, thanks I'll call this week!!! Oh, could you post, or PM a number for your complex! Thanks again!!!

unk_fxn said:
One of the many social events during orientation week.

Hay thanks!! :laugh: Ok,ok I'll just wait... :D

Does anyone have a copy of our schedule? I'm just trying to prepare a schedule for my son.

thanks!
David

Members don't see this ad :)
david.pcsom said:
Does anyone have a copy of our schedule? I'm just trying to prepare a schedule for my son.

thanks!
David

Yeah, I'm also really interested in seeing what our day-to-day schedule will be like for this fall.

I did make it up to Pikeville last Wednesday and looked at 6 or 7 apartments and decided on one that is a couple of miles from campus (next to The Log Cabin on Town Mountain Road). I have information on the other places that I looked at if anyone is interested (and some pictures).

I made a webpage with all of the pictures that I took. They aren't the best pictures (some were taken while I was driving).

http://locker.uky.edu/~jeroll2/pikeville.htm

Cheers!

I can give you a copy of our first year schedule, unfortunately, it will change a lot for you guys. You guys are starting two weeks earlier than we did last year becuase they are supposed to give us time off to attend various conferences throughout the year.

You will also find that even though you have a "schedule", it will change quite often, as professors shift things around and other events pop up.

It also depends what lab group you are in.... A or B... which you wont find out until the week of orientation.

You will start every day at 8:00 am (unless you are Lab group B on Thursday... you will start at 11:00). The only day during the fall that we got out early was Thursdays (if you are lab group A, lab B is finished at 5:00). Some Monday and Fridays were half days until they add histology, in which case it becomes a full day.

I can email you my schedule if you like, just provide me with your email address. Take care.

ACE

jester2051 said:
Yeah, I'm also really interested in seeing what our day-to-day schedule will be like for this fall.

I did make it up to Pikeville last Wednesday and looked at 6 or 7 apartments and decided on one that is a couple of miles from campus (next to The Log Cabin on Town Mountain Road). I have information on the other places that I looked at if anyone is interested (and some pictures).

I made a webpage with all of the pictures that I took. They aren't the best pictures (some were taken while I was driving).

http://locker.uky.edu/~jeroll2/pikeville.htm

Cheers!

Thank you! Where is the apartment for slide #4. If you have a contact number I would appreciate it...David

Hey folks,
I rather enjoy using technology the best I can. Working in hospitals I've see some folks with PDA's; rn's, emt's, and doc's. I also noticed Palm included PCSOM as a site that utilize PDA's during clinicals, or was that in some clinics? Frist, is this true, and secondly does anyone see the value investing in a good PDA? thanks!
David

david.pcsom said:
Hey folks,
I rather enjoy using technology the best I can. Working in hospitals I've see some folks with PDA's; rn's, emt's, and doc's. I also noticed Palm included PCSOM as a site that utilize PDA's during clinicals, or was that in some clinics? Frist, is this true, and secondly does anyone see the value investing in a good PDA? thanks!
David

I am graduating from PCSOM in two weeks. We got loaner PDAs for our second year clinical... pilot program to get people interested in them. I am not sure what they have planned for you people. I dont see it as being very useful until you get into the clinical setting... as a first year your schedule is pretty simple: school all day, every day. Once you get into clinical I think it is essential, although I think a few of my classmate would probably disagree.

Bottom line - don't purchase one just yet.

Yeah, I agree with unk fxn.

You really dont know a PDA at this time. You can keep your schedule on your laptop since we have Microsoft Outlook.

I have a PDA that was given to me as a gift before I started medical school. It is neat to have for some things. I bought a couple of clinical programs and installed them on my PDA for quick reference when I am studying physiology or something else.

With all the reference material you get in first year, however, you dont need to invest in a PDA. I would save my money for the moment.

I am glad to see everyone's enthusiam about starting classes. Sometimes as a student we get bogged down and forget that this is a path we have chose to go down. I think you guys will do very well in medical school. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Aaron

Great! I'll just reallocate these funds towards a Sirrus Satellite Radio! :)
Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, I heard from Angel white coat day is tentatively scheduled for Aug 26. Has anyone heard differently or further details?
Aaron Earles said:
Yeah, I agree with unk fxn.

You really dont know a PDA at this time. You can keep your schedule on your laptop since we have Microsoft Outlook.

I have a PDA that was given to me as a gift before I started medical school. It is neat to have for some things. I bought a couple of clinical programs and installed them on my PDA for quick reference when I am studying physiology or something else.

With all the reference material you get in first year, however, you dont need to invest in a PDA. I would save my money for the moment.

I am glad to see everyone's enthusiam about starting classes. Sometimes as a student we get bogged down and forget that this is a path we have chose to go down. I think you guys will do very well in medical school. If you have any more questions, feel free to ask.

Aaron

Hay, I'm just trying to move our forum to at least 10 pages... :laugh:

inhope said:
Hay, I'm just trying to move our forum to at least 10 pages... :laugh:

darn it...that one didn't do it... :D

just wanted to say hello again to my soon to be fellow classmates. I'm a very non-competitive person who wants everyone to do well next year and the years to follow. I know if there is anything beneficial i can bring to the table, i will share it. i would love for our class to have a strong sense of togetherness and to be able to all pass the hurdle of medical school together. to me, going through the same struggles and being able to persevere is more important than being top of the class. i want to lay that out on the table before we even start class together...
hope everyone is doing well... Larry
p.s. Dr. James Watson, one of the co-founders of the dna double helix came to the university of arkansas to speak today. it was the most awesome thing i have been apart of in my entire undergraduate career. he talked about many issues of biology that are relevant today.

ark linson said:
just wanted to say hello again to my soon to be fellow classmates. I'm a very non-competitive person who wants everyone to do well next year and the years to follow. I know if there is anything beneficial i can bring to the table, i will share it. i would love for our class to have a strong sense of togetherness and to be able to all pass the hurdle of medical school together. to me, going through the same struggles and being able to persevere is more important than being top of the class. i want to lay that out on the table before we even start class together...
hope everyone is doing well... Larry
p.s. Dr. James Watson, one of the co-founders of the dna double helix came to the university of arkansas to speak today. it was the most awesome thing i have been apart of in my entire undergraduate career. he talked about many issues of biology that are relevant today.

Hi Larry, I'm David looking foward to meeting you too. It sounds like you came upon a wonderful treat for yourself...Yea, I'm looking forward to be the best I can be. I admitt I'm competative, but only with myself. I think if we help one another the group and each person excells! I'll tell ya' I know I'll probably need a hand or two during these next four years. I look forward to meeting you in Aug!

I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences with the testing blocks...are the mcat style (scantron w/ testing in individual topics) or just a huge blob of questions?

David,

They are scantron with an exam for each individual class (Except for Gross and OP & P which will have laboratory practicals in which you have to write out the answer on a sheet of paper or perform treat you partner). This is for the Winter semester. In the Spring you will have practicals for Clinical Skills, Neuro, and OP & P.

david.pcsom said:
I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences with the testing blocks...are the mcat style (scantron w/ testing in individual topics) or just a huge blob of questions?

Blocks are a stressful time for everyone. As I was told last year, you will become a test taking machine. It is not much different than taking a test in college in as much as the testing format. The only difference is instead of having 16 to 18 hours of credits per semester, the load is more like about 30 credit hours.

You will write lots and lots and lots of histories in PCSOM Rounds. You will also have a Gross Anatomy Practical for the first 5 blocks, 2 OP&P Practicals, a Neuroscience practical, several practicals in Clinical SKills, and so on. We just finished blocks about 15 minutes ago, so I am going to get started on the Class of 2009 Survival guide this evening. I am going to try and have that out ASAP.

Everyone have a great weekend.

ACE

hey everyone. just thought i'd check in on our thread.

chatted with a recent PCSOM grad yesterday that is in the combined med/peds residency program at UK. he's a really great guy, and was quite inspirational. he said the most important thing is to believe in yourself. it was also very telling to me that he said that if he could do it all over again, he would. anyway, just wanted to pass along his encouraging words. can't wait to get started.

on another note; anyone care to share their derby picks? anyone going?
my horse is don't get mad. 30-1, but if he comes through, i'll make some decent scratch.

see y'all soon.

k

david.pcsom said:
Great! I'll just reallocate these funds towards a Sirrus Satellite Radio! :)
Thanks for the heads up!

Oh, I heard from Angel white coat day is tentatively scheduled for Aug 26. Has anyone heard differently or further details?

XM rocks!! Cheaper and better music IMO

kendall said:
hey everyone. just thought i'd check in on our thread.

chatted with a recent PCSOM grad yesterday that is in the combined med/peds residency program at UK. he's a really great guy, and was quite inspirational. he said the most important thing is to believe in yourself. it was also very telling to me that he said that if he could do it all over again, he would. anyway, just wanted to pass along his encouraging words. can't wait to get started.

on another note; anyone care to share their derby picks? anyone going?
my horse is don't get mad. 30-1, but if he comes through, i'll make some decent scratch.

see y'all soon.

k

FYI, Pikeville actually has off track betting now. I was thinking about going down there and betting on George Steinbrenner's horse.

Pikevillemedstudent said:
XM rocks!! Cheaper and better music IMO

There are just a few talk channels you can't get on XM.

So can I assume that Country music is the staple for Pikeville?

Aaron Earles said:
Blocks are a stressful time for everyone. As I was told last year, you will become a test taking machine. It is not much different than taking a test in college in as much as the testing format. The only difference is instead of having 16 to 18 hours of credits per semester, the load is more like about 30 credit hours.

You will write lots and lots and lots of histories in PCSOM Rounds. You will also have a Gross Anatomy Practical for the first 5 blocks, 2 OP&P Practicals, a Neuroscience practical, several practicals in Clinical SKills, and so on. We just finished blocks about 15 minutes ago, so I am going to get started on the Class of 2009 Survival guide this evening. I am going to try and have that out ASAP.

Everyone have a great weekend.

ACE

So what you are saying its a bit challenging.... :)

I for one will much appreciate any helpful info succed at PCSOM....I'm a bit concerned, since I know that I will miss some class time due to family needs....

Don't mean to hog the forum, but....

If I understand correctly, for eligability for licensure in all state of the US we need to intern for one year p/s grad at an AOA approved osteopathic facillity, then we can hold a residency at an allo facility. Is this correct? I'm just concerned since I'm leaning towards EM, and I'm not aware of many Lvl I trauma DO hospitals...thanks David

david.pcsom said:
There are just a few talk channels you can't get on XM.

So can I assume that Country music is the staple for Pikeville?

My car came with XM on it and I like it pretty well, but I don't have to pay the full price for it because mine is an add on account (like 6.99 a month, which is sweet). I've only used SIRIUS a couple of times (only because I get it on my Dish Network) and it's pretty cool too. Either way, you can't go wrong, they are both so much better than FM trash (yes, I'm now spoiled to sat. radio). One thing I found peculiar is that when I was driving up to Pikeville from Lexington I would intermidantly loose signal on XM (darn mountains)!

david.pcsom said:
Don't mean to hog the forum, but....

If I understand correctly, for eligability for licensure in all state of the US we need to intern for one year p/s grad at an AOA approved osteopathic facillity, then we can hold a residency at an allo facility. Is this correct? I'm just concerned since I'm leaning towards EM, and I'm not aware of many Lvl I trauma DO hospitals...thanks David

There are tons of threads that address this so we probably shouldn't get your class thread hijacked to discuss it, however, I believe there are 5 states (PA, FL, OK, WV, or MI) that require an AOA approved internship for DO's to be licensed. I'm not sure how this all works, but it's in a bunch of other threads somewhere. As for the rest of the US an AOA internship is not required to be licensed.

jester2051 said:
My car came with XM on it and I like it pretty well, but I don't have to pay the full price for it because mine is an add on account (like 6.99 a month, which is sweet). I've only used SIRIUS a couple of times (only because I get it on my Dish Network) and it's pretty cool too. Either way, you can't go wrong, they are both so much better than FM trash (yes, I'm now spoiled to sat. radio). One thing I found peculiar is that when I was driving up to Pikeville from Lexington I would intermidantly loose signal on XM (darn mountains)!

xm!

jester2051 said:

$6.99/month!!! That sure is sweet! My sirius came with a car kit, I'll probably get it installed w/ the roof mount antenna...yea, I'm kinda spoiled too! I didn't like all the comercials and jock hyp on FM, and love the diversity with satillite. Hey, I've even found kid channels good for my 4 y/o son! So ya' know I can never get ride of it, or I'll need to deal with his wrath :) :) :)

jawicobike said:
There are tons of threads that address this so we probably shouldn't get your class thread hijacked to discuss it, however, I believe there are 5 states (PA, FL, OK, WV, or MI) that require an AOA approved internship for DO's to be licensed. I'm not sure how this all works, but it's in a bunch of other threads somewhere. As for the rest of the US an AOA internship is not required to be licensed.

Thank you! I'll search those threads out...

david.pcsom said:
I was wondering if anyone would share their experiences with the testing blocks...

Test blocks suck. The night of the last test kicks as$. The morning after the last test (the point I am at right now) sucks.

:barf:
E-

eadysx said:
Test blocks suck. The night of the last test kicks as$. The morning after the last test (the point I am at right now) sucks.

:barf:
E-

Wow, I can hardly wait! I'm just ready for those easy A's... :rolleyes:

You are definately in my prayers!!! :)

david.pcsom said:
Wow, I can hardly wait! I'm just ready for those easy A's... :rolleyes:

You are definately in my prayers!!! :)

Don't worry David, he is like a bad penny. He always manages to turn up :smuggrin: .

Yea Simtech, I'm from Mississippi...grew up 10 years in Ocean Springs and spent 4 in Jackson going to Millsaps....I'm at Virginia Commonwealth Univeristy (used to be Medical College of Virginia) now doing my M.S. and I'll be down in Pikeville at the end of July or so...just got my lease in for the Anthony so looks like several people staying there as it is......actually signing a 1 bedroom without having seen it yet, so I'd like any comments/pictures anyone might have of the place. I'm sure it'll be fine.

Oh, and I'm also a pretty darn good homebrewer so I'll try to make an osteoblast ale or something for the first week!

good luck all and see you in 83 days!

fuzzwinkle11 said:
Oh, and I'm also a pretty darn good homebrewer so I'll try to make an osteoblast ale or something for the first week!

good luck all and see you in 83 days!

I want to be your neighbor. :)

fuzzwinkle11 said:
Yea Simtech, I'm from Mississippi...grew up 10 years in Ocean Springs and spent 4 in Jackson going to Millsaps....I'm at Virginia Commonwealth Univeristy (used to be Medical College of Virginia) now doing my M.S. QUOTE]

I grew up in Richmond, I love it there. My advice to you before you get to Pikeville is go down to Cary Town and eat. Go down to the Slip and eat(and drink). Go to all those fun little places and get some good food. Once you get to Pikeville, Applebee's is about as good as it gets.

E-
MS-1.97

Congrats to the incoming 2009 class!!!! I am a present first year and if you guys need help with anything such as housing or general questions please feel free to email me at [email protected].

Also to all the TN people I am super excited to meet you guys...I am a Nashville girl so I definitely feel your pain on the long drive!!!!

Hello everyone... :) I'll be starting at PCSOM in the fall and I've been receiving everyone's emails in the past few days... I got an email to join a Yahoo group but I couldn't open it for some reason... if anyone knows who started the group, could they send me another email?

Other than that, just wanted to say hello and I'll see you guys in the fall :)

Jacquie Carpenter
[email protected]

JMCarpenter said:
Hello everyone... :) I'll be starting at PCSOM in the fall and I've been receiving everyone's emails in the past few days... I got an email to join a Yahoo group but I couldn't open it for some reason... if anyone knows who started the group, could they send me another email?

Other than that, just wanted to say hello and I'll see you guys in the fall :)

Jacquie Carpenter
[email protected]

Glad to see it worked for you this time around!

David,

Would you email me the class schedule for last year. I am aware
this schedule will change. I would just like to look at it to get an
idea of which topics are covered and when.

Coordially,

Castillonis

Castillonis said:
David,

Would you email me the class schedule for last year. I am aware
this schedule will change. I would just like to look at it to get an
idea of which topics are covered and when.

Coordially,

Castillonis

Castillonis, did you ever get that schedule?

ACE