Peace Corps to Med School

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Masters or post bac?

• Total voters

PCtoMD

Reaction score
Hi there,

Getting out of Peace Corps shortly so it's been awhile since I've finished my undergrad and I had a 3.0 in college. What programs have people done to get themselves ready to apply (i.e. post bacs, masters, etc.)? I am applying to both types of programs but was hoping if I went the Masters route at a particular university, would it be easy to transition into that same school's med school? Has anyone done this before?

Members don't see this ad.

It has to be an SMP master's program with a linkage. Getting an MA/MS in something like bio or chemistry does not add much at all to your application, since AMCAS does not count graduate courses towards your undergrad GPA. Have you taken all of the premed pre-reqs?

It has to be an SMP master's program with a linkage. Getting an MA/MS in something like bio or chemistry does not add much at all to your application, since AMCAS does not count graduate courses towards your undergrad GPA. Have you taken all of the premed pre-reqs?
I have taken all pre reqs but one. Do you know of a resource that lists schools with linkages? I am having trouble finding these programs. Thanks for your help!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi there,

Getting out of Peace Corps shortly so it's been awhile since I've finished my undergrad and I had a 3.0 in college. What programs have people done to get themselves ready to apply (i.e. post bacs, masters, etc.)? I am applying to both types of programs but was hoping if I went the Masters route at a particular university, would it be easy to transition into that same school's med school? Has anyone done this before?
Yes and yes. But make sure it's an SMP, and NOT a research MS program.
read this:
Goro's advice for pre-meds who need reinvention

Go to any regular undergrad and start taking post-bacc classes! With your GPA, I’d recommend you take two years of full time classes. All science and math, not fluff courses. Try to take at least one semester with 15-18 credit hours while working, volunteering etc. You need to prove that you’re a different student now. Alternatively, do an SMP but that’s going to be a lot more expensive. I wouldn’t recommend just a graduate degree. Grad classes are super easy to get As in and everyone knows it. They’re mostly seminars where you discuss papers and sometimes write reviews. Best of luck!