Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Last fall I actually turned to GellaBella and was like "is ben and me still here?!?! i haven't seen her in forever!!!" then I saw you a couple months later lol

Also, I just realized that I have been confusing your name with AllThingsEquine, or maybe I am thinking of the wrong person?!?! Why does AllThingsEquine ring a bell? Is that a penn person too? Oooo maybe that was your friend!

I don't know who anyone is on here. We need a SDN club at school. or pins. or a special handshake or something.

Members don't see this ad.

What is a pennwe?
PennWe is a term (some might say originally meant to be derogatory, but we have embraced it) for Penn Vet graduates. The name allegedly came about because penn grads tend to tell grads from other schools how WE do it at Penn. Kind of a know-it-all hermione type personality trait I guess.

Members don't see this ad :)
PennWe is a term (some might say originally meant to be derogatory, but we have embraced it) for Penn Vet graduates. The name allegedly came about because penn grads tend to tell grads from other schools how WE do it at Penn. Kind of a know-it-all hermione type personality trait I guess.

If you still don't get it (because I know I didn't until I saw it in sentence form) it means when penn students are at another school for externship, or at a job, etc they will say "Oh, at Penn we do it ___ way". But as SOV has said, we have embraced it and we use it as a representation of our little family :) We have a yearly competition for Mr. Pennwe which is always a hilarious event

Another question: why do graduates from Penn Vet School go as VMD's instead of DVM's? Do they still do that?

Because they can?

I think pennwe's enjoy being different :-D. And it's certainly easy to find who the other alums are!

Because most vet schools came out of agricultural schools, but Penn's vet school came out of the med school and decided they should have a degree that sounds like MD. They thought it would catch on but it didn't, and now they are stubborn and don't want to have it be like everyone else.

Another question: why do graduates from Penn Vet School go as VMD's instead of DVM's? Do they still do that?

Yep. Because Latin is cooler than your measly English. ;)

Another, (less interesting) explanation that I've heard is that Penn envisioned the vet school as an extension of/complement to the med school, so they wanted the degree to reflect that.

VMD vs. DVM:

The field needs schools to be more collaborative, but instead this difference inhibits stronger branding of the profession. I have to admit, I would prefer to be called a VMD, it seems like people would take vets more seriously and that people would see us more as "real doctors."

VMD vs. DVM:

The field needs schools to be more collaborative, but instead this difference inhibits stronger branding of the profession. I have to admit, I would prefer to be called a VMD, it seems like people would take vets more seriously and that people would see us more as "real doctors."

I agree. On the flip side I'd be happy to be called a DVM to make things less confusing for clients.

I've been a lurker on sdn for a few months but am posting for the first time now. I had an interview at penn last friday, 1/27. They said we would hear from them early this week. I just now noticed that I have a missed call from the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania from Monday around noon on my house phone. For some reason I was dumb enough to only monitor my cell phone 24/7 for calls post interview. Do you think they call if you are on hold or rejected? or only for acceptances???? I called back and left a message saying i received a call and gave them my cell number. I just hope its not bad news--i really dont want to find out i got rejected like 5 minutes before my tufts interview tomorrow!!!!!

....kind of freaking out.

I've been a lurker on sdn for a few months but am posting for the first time now. I had an interview at penn last friday, 1/27. They said we would hear from them early this week. I just now noticed that I have a missed call from the Trustees of the University of Pennsylvania from Monday around noon on my house phone. For some reason I was dumb enough to only monitor my cell phone 24/7 for calls post interview. Do you think they call if you are on hold or rejected? or only for acceptances???? I called back and left a message saying i received a call and gave them my cell number. I just hope its not bad news--i really dont want to find out i got rejected like 5 minutes before my tufts interview tomorrow!!!!!

A call is ...usually...a good thing. Anyway, if you are interviewing at Tufts too that means you are a competitive candidate so just have confidence tomorrow and do your best :luck:

It's usually a good thing. I was put on hold last year and I was notified by email.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone! I'm interviewing on the 24th and I am really excited/nervous!! Just wondering if anyone has any advise/tips on the interview? Can someone explain the cocktail hour afterwards? Thanks!! Good luck everyone interviewing this Friday!

Hi everyone! I'm interviewing on the 24th and I am really excited/nervous!! Just wondering if anyone has any advise/tips on the interview? Can someone explain the cocktail hour afterwards? Thanks!! Good luck everyone interviewing this Friday!

The interview isn't too intense or anything (although I was super nervous last year). One person has seen your application and one hasn't. The interviewer who hasn't seen your application asks most of the questions and if you look at the interview feedback on here, you'll get a pretty good idea of what types of questions are asked. You'll find out when you get there if you're interviewing in the 1st or 2nd session, which determines when you tour. While waiting for your interview, current students sit at tables with you and talk to you about the school, answer questions you might have, and just try to make you more at ease.

The happy hour afterwards is pretty fun. If you go to it, some current students will take you over once the the last group of interviews are done. It's a great way to meet current students and get to know more about the school from them and just relax and ease your nerves left over from the day. A lot of people bring their pets, so there tends to be a bunch of dogs running around. Last year I think I recall current students even inviting us to a party with a bunch of their class later that night. For some reason, I think it was a Traffic Light party...could be wrong.

The interview isn't too intense or anything (although I was super nervous last year). One person has seen your application and one hasn't. The interviewer who hasn't seen your application asks most of the questions and if you look at the interview feedback on here, you'll get a pretty good idea of what types of questions are asked. You'll find out when you get there if you're interviewing in the 1st or 2nd session, which determines when you tour. While waiting for your interview, current students sit at tables with you and talk to you about the school, answer questions you might have, and just try to make you more at ease.

The happy hour afterwards is pretty fun. If you go to it, some current students will take you over once the the last group of interviews are done. It's a great way to meet current students and get to know more about the school from them and just relax and ease your nerves left over from the day. A lot of people bring their pets, so there tends to be a bunch of dogs running around. Last year I think I recall current students even inviting us to a party with a bunch of their class later that night. For some reason, I think it was a Traffic Light party...could be wrong.

:thumbup: the stop light party is this Fri this year. (wear red if you are taken, yellow if it is complicated, green if you are single). Or wear w/e you want and just come hangout with us!

I was wondering if the interview invite specifically said something about the happy hour on it. Because I have my interview this Friday and looking back at the invite it doesn't say anything about a happy hour afterwards on it at all.

Because most vet schools came out of agricultural schools, but Penn's vet school came out of the med school and decided they should have a degree that sounds like MD. They thought it would catch on but it didn't, and now they are stubborn and don't want to have it be like everyone else.
Also wasn't Penn the 2nd real degree conferring vet school in the country. They can hardly be blamed for not following consensus.

They don't put the happy hr invite in the letter, I'm not sure why. Maybe it isn't professional lol
You are all invited and encouraged to stick around and hang out.
Also, I forgot, there is a Chili cook-off Fri for happy hour ($5 for 5 tasting tickets--profit is donated to a cause each year), starts at 530 in Hill Lobby (so unfortunately no dogs at this happy hour).
Then stoplight party at 9pm.

I feel all alone, like a single sock drying in the wind. Is anyone else still waiting for anything at all from Penn?

I feel all alone, like a single sock drying in the wind. Is anyone else still waiting for anything at all from Penn?

... I'm another sock ... lol ... dont worry there are still some of us left. Last years threads indicate that there were interviews as late as March 13 ... :xf:

... I'm another sock ... lol ... dont worry there are still some of us left. Last years threads indicate that there were interviews as late as March 13 ... :xf:

I am also a sock..... Where did you come up with a single sock in the wind???? My cat steals my socks, so that's why I have single socks lol!!!

I guess with me, we make two pair...

lol i totally remember the stoplight parties from undergrad :p ...too bad there wasn't one the friday that i interviewed!

:thumbup: the stop light party is this Fri this year. (wear red if you are taken, yellow if it is complicated, green if you are single). Or wear w/e you want and just come hangout with us!

Haha. Maybe it's a sign that I should go to the party this year since I'll be interviewing this Friday. Chili-cook off sounds fun though. Looking forward to it!

Add me to the list of lonely socks.. hahaha

Haha. Maybe it's a sign that I should go to the party this year since I'll be interviewing this Friday. Chili-cook off sounds fun though. Looking forward to it!

yessss or at least come to the chili cookoff and make up your mind about the party later. Bring a change of casual clothes with you, people bring bags all the time (especially if they are going to the airport right after) so you can leave bags/suitcases behind the front desk and they will be safe. There is a guard there and she is really nice and watches all the stuff.

lol i totally remember the stoplight parties from undergrad :p ...too bad there wasn't one the friday that i interviewed!

I agree! I would've shown up!

It's an Alpha Psi party so perhaps you are not part of "that crowd"

lol "that crowd"?? all alpha psi parties are for EVERYONE. even medical students come! I'm pretty sure it was in the email through list serve about happy hr and the chili cookoff. there is also a facebook group and I think it was started by a first year who lives at the house so if you werent invited it was probably because she doesn't have all the V14 names but there are >200 people on the invite. I'll invite both of you...even though I know neither of you will show up :p

SOV--stop trying to make pennwe's sound like we really are snobby jerks lol

Hmmm. I think I was trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to make the opposite point.

Not everyone goes in for the sloppy drunk on Friday night party scene. That is all.
Perhaps the only snob around here is "moi".

What is a pennwe?

I'm really sorry guys... I've tried to resist; but can't because I've been on the receiving end more than once...

At Penn, we do 'x'.

And I am also a sock. The one with the polka dots in the back...

Hmmm. I think I was trying (unsuccessfully it seems) to make the opposite point.

Not everyone goes in for the sloppy drunk on Friday night party scene. That is all.
Perhaps the only snob around here is "moi".

You're right, I don't go for the sloppy drunk Fri night party scene. I go for the sober dance all night scene :banana:

I, also, am a sock. There seem to be many of us still waiting for word.

It's an Alpha Psi party so perhaps you are not part of "that crowd"

lol "that crowd"?? all alpha psi parties are for EVERYONE. even medical students come!

I'm part of the anti-frat crowd. not my scene. that being said I did know about the stop light party...I think through a GAPSA email. wont be attending though and there is definitely less advertising for it this year compared to last year.

And PennWe's aren't snobby. we're just the best :p

PS....is it just a PennVet thing? I thought PennWes were anyone who went to Penn...the med students MUST say it too. :rolleyes:

PPS. i apologize to those interviewing that we are blowing up your thread. hang in there. it aint over til its over.

PPPS. I'm obviously studying reaaaaally hard for pharm

FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, and Emiloo: we should start a club. The Sock Brigade, or the Lonely Socks Club.

Emiloo: where you in Kansas on January 22?

Last edited:
Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, and Emiloo: we should start a club. The Sock Brigade, or the Lonely Socks Club.

Emiloo: where you in Kansas on January 22?

I've attached our official logo

Attachments

• LPS.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 46
You're right, I don't go for the sloppy drunk Fri night party scene. I go for the sober dance all night scene :banana:
lol. i totally relate...at times in UG i was the "designated sober" person...the person who would help my drunk sloppy friends walk home AFTER the party lol :thumbdown:

i would just dance like crazy at the party :p

And PennWe's aren't snobby. we're just the best :p

PPPS. I'm obviously studying reaaaaally hard for pharm

I second the Penn awesomeness!! woot c/0 2016!
Altho, I am not studying pharm, I am doing a number to avoid studying for physio right now. and biochem 2. So much easier to procrastinate... :sleep:

lol. i totally relate...at times in UG i was the "designated sober" person...the person who would help my drunk sloppy friends walk home AFTER the party lol :thumbdown:

i would just dance like crazy at the party :p

You're so wonderful! I have to say, I just avoid the Friday night crowds all together. usually in bed by 9 for my 5am wake up call :laugh:

Although "The Sock Brigade" is not a club we'd choose (of course we'd rather hear from Penn already), it's good because we don't feel so alone. The logo is supercute, too!

Hi All,

I'm going to Philly on the 23rd for my interview on the 24th and I was hoping some fellow SDNer would be able to "adopt" me for a couple nights. Would anyone here be willing to house a poor undergraduate prospective student?

I'm housebroken and don't make too much noise! Please PM me if you, or someone you know may be willing!

Although "The Sock Brigade" is not a club we'd choose (of course we'd rather hear from Penn already), it's good because we don't feel so alone. The logo is supercute, too!

Oh I'm glad!! I taught my own kitty to play with a pink sock so she could be like Mooch!!

At Penn, we...pay over twice the average debt for vet school!

Last edited: