Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Got the package, but no scholarship info. Boooo. Would either of you mind sharing the scholarship info and your GPA/GRE scores since that's what it's based on? If you would rather pm them, that's cool. If you would rather not share them, that's cool, too! I was just really hoping to snag that extra $$.

Hey sooprnova just look under the successful applicants thread :) I posted all my info there

Members don't see this ad.

Also soopr, I should have qualified based on GPA/GRE but never got anything: I think if you have only applied to Penn (do they even know that?) they won't give you the scholarship. That's what I assume happened to me anyway.

Yes I was bitter :)

ETA: Actually whether I qualified would depend on if they separate the GRE into parts when calculating the percentages. So what I said might not even be true...

Also soopr, I should have qualified based on GPA/GRE but never got anything: I think if you have only applied to Penn (do they even know that?) they won't give you the scholarship. That's what I assume happened to me anyway.

Yes I was bitter :)

ETA: Actually whether I qualified would depend on if they separate the GRE into parts when calculating the percentages. So what I said might not even be true...

Well, if that's the case, I would say that's pretty lame. I could always just choose NOT to go to vet school....riiiiight!

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, if that's the case, I would say that's pretty lame. I could always just choose NOT to go to vet school....riiiiight!

Yeah bunnity that is definitely lame if that is the case...

Yay I look forward to receiving an acceptance packet! I am DEFINITELY attending Penn :D

I look forward to meeting the c/o 2016 - I have a feeling we are Pretttty phenomenal :love:

And esp thanks to sunnex for being so wonderful and helpful and amazing... xoxoxo

Got the package, but no scholarship info. Boooo. Would either of you mind sharing the scholarship info and your GPA/GRE scores since that's what it's based on? If you would rather pm them, that's cool. If you would rather not share them, that's cool, too! I was just really hoping to snag that extra $$.

Yeah, that sucks. I missed the recruitment scholarship by .04 GPA and 2 percentile points on one section of the GRE, so I feel your pain. I'm still just a tiny bit bitter.

how long does it take to get the packet in the mail after you get accepted?!!

I think it took almost 2 weeks for me.

how long does it take to get the packet in the mail after you get accepted?!!

I was told letters should be sent out Friday! So keep your eyes on the mail next week. The hard wait is over :)

Hi Everyone!

I just got a call from UPenn but they didn't say anything about what it was for. Do they only call for interviews? Or do they call if your on a waiting list as well? I have to wait until Monday now to find out! HELP!!!:laugh:

OMG!!!! Did you find out what they are calling about? Are you on a wait list or just awaiting an interview? I'm awaiting anything............ Denial Letter, Interview Invite........... Just going crazy waiting...........

Yeah, give them a call. Now you've got me curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
OMG!!!! Did you find out what they are calling about? Are you on a wait list or just awaiting an interview? I'm awaiting anything............ Denial Letter, Interview Invite........... Just going crazy waiting...........

Haha no not yet! They said I had until noon to call and I only found out by around 2:00. Now I have to wait!:scared: I'll post once I find out though, so stay tuned.

Haha no not yet! They said I had until noon to call and I only found out by around 2:00. Now I have to wait!:scared: I'll post once I find out though, so stay tuned.

Had until noon? That's quite the ultimatum... Yeesh

Do you live near Philly?? I know they had interviews today which is an all day affair (they want you there by 12:45 and I think I left around 4:30 PM last year to go to happy hour), so maybe a spot opened up and they were seeing if you were interested. It would make sense with the noon ultimatum but that's all speculation. I know they call offering interviews if it's really close to the interview date and call about acceptances. Hope your're able to find out what it was about on Monday!

Ah ok that makes sense. I'm about 10+ hours (depending on transportation) away, but I would gladly jump on the next train if that meant an interview next week. Let's hope it's good news!

I am FREAKING OUT. I am waiting to hear anything from Penn! :(

I am FREAKING OUT. I am waiting to hear anything from Penn! :(

I know...it's a long wait. But don't freak out because we may not hear anything for another month or more (according to how they do their admissions process a little at a time through March). Let's hang in there.

Update on the mystery call on Friday:

They wanted to see if I got accepted/was planning on attending another school. I told them Penn is my #1 and they offered me an interview!!! February 24th is the date.

For those of you still waiting, hang in there!

Update on the mystery call on Friday:

They wanted to see if I got accepted/was planning on attending another school. I told them Penn is my #1 and they offered me an interview!!! February 24th is the date.

For those of you still waiting, hang in there!
That is AWESOME!!!!! Congrats......... & Good Luck!!!!!!!

I'm in desperate need of housing advice, hopefully from non-trads (I'm lookin' at you, SOV).

My husband and I visited Philly this past weekend and looked at some places in the University City area. It's possible we weren't looking at the *right* places, but those we did see reminded me very much of the types of places I lived in when I was in college 13 years ago, which was fine 13 years ago, but totally not fine now (think: old shaggy carpet, apartment-sized stoves, etc.). I know we will have to compromise, but we are going to have so little free time together that we want to be able to spend it in a place we feel good about calling home.

We also looked at some super expensive loft-style apartments in center city that were amazing, but totally out of our price range unless I want to take out a bajillion dollars in loans instead of just a billion.

Where should I be looking? Is it possible to find a reasonably priced, pet-friendly, clean, safe, semi-modern apartment that we'd be happy to call home? I was thinking of expanding our search into Manayunk, but I feel it might be really stupid to give myself a 30-minute commute on public transportation.

gkman,
Congrats on the interview! It looks like Penn is now starting to make phone calls rather than send emails for the interviews. This is good to know so those of us still waiting can know what to expect. Good luck on the interview!

I'm in desperate need of housing advice, hopefully from non-trads (I'm lookin' at you, SOV).

My husband and I visited Philly this past weekend and looked at some places in the University City area. It's possible we weren't looking at the *right* places, but those we did see reminded me very much of the types of places I lived in when I was in college 13 years ago, which was fine 13 years ago, but totally not fine now (think: old shaggy carpet, apartment-sized stoves, etc.). I know we will have to compromise, but we are going to have so little free time together that we want to be able to spend it in a place we feel good about calling home.

We also looked at some super expensive loft-style apartments in center city that were amazing, but totally out of our price range unless I want to take out a bajillion dollars in loans instead of just a billion.

Where should I be looking? Is it possible to find a reasonably priced, pet-friendly, clean, safe, semi-modern apartment that we'd be happy to call home? I was thinking of expanding our search into Manayunk, but I feel it might be really stupid to give myself a 30-minute commute on public transportation.

Soop - They do exist - you just have to take some extra steps to find them. Pop me a PM with the specifics you guys are looking for and I might be able to at least point you into a direction. :luck:

It is possible to find what you are looking for without the 30 min drive. I wouldn't think about Manayunk yet. It is REALLY hit and miss here. One street is good and another bad. Some apts/houses look like crap inside because they haven't been kept up and others are completely remodeled. You never really know til you look inside. And honestly, pictures on craigs list don't count for anything because when I came I visited 15 places that I selected weeks in advance carefully weeding out bad areas and places that looked like junk, well, I still saw a lot of junk haha. I have a map that bunnity made me when I came and that was helpful for the west philly area, it highlights places in red and green lol. Center city you can find some great places that aren't cheap. I'm cramming for exams this week but I can help you out more after friday. PM me if you want me to email that colored map to get a head start by yourself.

I'd recommend looking at my apt building: Garden Court Plaza http://biketype10.tripod.com/gardencourtplaza/

(don't judge them by the website). I really love it. super pet friendly. lots of vet students. about a 15-20 min walk to school plus there is free shuttle service to the vet school during the school year. It's not "modern" in that it was built in like the 1920s or so, but its kept in good shape, there is a dog run out back, a gardening area, tennis courts, plenty of on street parking, heat and hot water incl, hardwood floors, large rooms, and very friendly front desk ppl etc etc. They have a sister apt building also on that website (The Fairfax)...i've heard that building is not as nice as Garden Court.

If you want a little bit fancier, Garden Court Condominiums are across the street and are really nice with an indoor pool and gym - but since they're condos they can be hit or miss as to whether they've been renovated recently or not. i've seen some really nice ones in there though.

good luck!

There are also two pretty nice condo buildings in the U-City area -- 4200 Pine and 4300 Spruce. Both were renovated in the last 5 years and each unit is privately owned, but I think lots of owners are graduating this year and looking for folks to rent the units next year. 4300 Spruce is almost all dental and veterinary students. 4200 Pine seems like a slightly older/less student-y crowd.

There is also a really nice condo building across from Garden Court, but I don't know anyone who lives there.

Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with some folks that I know in both buildings. If you google 4200 Pine and 4300 Spruce, you'll find the websites for both buildings.

The Fairfax is also pretty popular with vet students, though I know a lot of people who left there in favor of Garden Court. Also popular are the two Campus Apartment buildings between 44th and 45th on Spruce. Not sure how nice they are though, but they're both (large) dog friendly.

And, there are a couple of really nice subdivided houses on the 42nd and Spruce block -- those apartments tend to be handed down from vet student to vet student though.

Last edited:
Hey soop... since you called me out..... I guess I must respond (although my fellow Penn-we's have done a good job)....

As for center city... try not to look in the rittenhouse area, that would be super-expensive, but the "museum" area has some nice places to live that might be a bit cheaper. You might also be able to rent in Naval Square (they are condos)... they have a shuttle bus to penn (just over the river).

A lot of the places here are pretty old, well, it is an old neighborhood (but some of them are in really good condition). You do have to be persistent.

I can't give too much advice because I am not renting, so I haven't really looked at too many rentals.

If you look at the Penn c/o 2015 and 2014 threads we had similar conversations the last few years, so perhaps there will be some ideas. I am pretty sure I gave the name and number of the landlord in my area who has nice units last year.

Aww SOV it's all good. It was just funny haha

Any recommendations for housing in Philly - rent range between $1200-$2000? Dog friendly - preferably with a washer/dryer in unit and a gym nearby if not in the building? Hope it's not too much to ask!! In University City preferably again... I'd rather stay close to the campus.

As a completely superficial post... does anyone know where to buy a Penn Vet sweatshirt? I was just accepted (hence the username creation!) and headed into Philly later this week to check out the campus further. Also, any recommendations on coffee shops or sights to see in the immediate area?

I'm also thinking about checking out some of the housing areas to get an idea of where students live. My parents live near Philly, but I will probably be gone from next week until the end of May. Is June too late to look for housing?

As a completely superficial post... does anyone know where to buy a Penn Vet sweatshirt? I was just accepted (hence the username creation!) and headed into Philly later this week to check out the campus further. Also, any recommendations on coffee shops or sights to see in the immediate area?

I'm also thinking about checking out some of the housing areas to get an idea of where students live. My parents live near Philly, but I will probably be gone from next week until the end of May. Is June too late to look for housing?

Yeah, the apparel is actually kind of hard to get until you're actually here. The bookstore sometimes has some PennVet tee-shirts and is always good for general Penn apparel. Most of our school-specific gear is sold by SCAVMA at a "store" that's open for a few hours every couple of months. Once you're attending, though, you'll have access to that and will also be bombarded by fundraiser sales for every club under the sun. So, I'd reccommend buying a nice generic Penn sweatshirt from the bookstore and/or waiting 'til the fall to get the good stuff.

Congratulations!

Go to Dolbey's on Spruce between 37th and 38th for Penn Vet shirts.
I would start looking for housing before June, yes!

I guess I'll advertise my apt :) there are currently 6 vet students living here.
http://www.leftbankapts.com/
Only cats allowed, one time fee. Rent between $1700-$2500. Moving in with a roommate or your significant other is best because then you pay $1000 or less per person, which actually is a good deal (if you are used to city prices). Washer/dryer in unit.Gym, Roof deck, courtyard, library for studying and conference rooms for studying. Secured garage and outdoor parking pay per month.

This apt complex is in center city and we have a friend who lives there, this is by the museum like SOV was talking about. http://www.parktowneapthomes.com/
They are also really nice, I have no idea about price or anything else though. They have a cat, I'm not sure about dogs.

Some others that I don't know about but I see all time:
http://www.2400chestnut.com/
http://www.riverloftapartments.com/ (I think dogs are allowed here)

Also, I know you all will probably use ratemyapartment to see reviews. What I have found is that Philly reviews are totally skewed. I'm not sure if it has to do with people who aren't from the city and then move here so they aren't used to things. I know I saw a could bad reviews for my apt complex but I've been here for 2 yrs and love it. And compared to the problems I had in DC, this is like heaven haha So I'd try to get opinions from inside sources if you can find them.

I guess I'll advertise my apt :) there are currently 6 vet students living here.
http://www.leftbankapts.com/
Only cats allowed, one time fee. Rent between $1700-$2500. Moving in with a roommate or your significant other is best because then you pay $1000 or less per person, which actually is a good deal (if you are used to city prices). Washer/dryer in unit.Gym, Roof deck, courtyard, library for studying and conference rooms for studying. Secured garage and outdoor parking pay per month.

This apt complex is in center city and we have a friend who lives there, this is by the museum like SOV was talking about. http://www.parktowneapthomes.com/
They are also really nice, I have no idea about price or anything else though. They have a cat, I'm not sure about dogs.

Some others that I don't know about but I see all time:
http://www.2400chestnut.com/
http://www.riverloftapartments.com/ (I think dogs are allowed here)

Also, I know you all will probably use ratemyapartment to see reviews. What I have found is that Philly reviews are totally skewed. I'm not sure if it has to do with people who aren't from the city and then move here so they aren't used to things. I know I saw a could bad reviews for my apt complex but I've been here for 2 yrs and love it. And compared to the problems I had in DC, this is like heaven haha So I'd try to get opinions from inside sources if you can find them.

One thing that concerns me about the left bank (I will be checking them out when we come out for the Wife's interview) is that the reviews seem to imply that the dryers are vented into the room. From my understanding this can be a substantial heath risk. Unfortunately my number 1 criteria is being closee to 30th St Station, so we may end up there anyway.

Last edited:
I'll also jump in here. I live at 42 & Spruce in a building with 8 apartments- almost all vet students and one medical student. It's a really nice building and my landlord is a decent guy. PM me for contact information

One thing that concerns me abou tthe left bank (I will be checking them out when we come out for the Wife's interview) is that the reviews seem to imply that the dryers are vented into the room. From my understanding this can be a substantial heath risk. Unfortunately my number 1 criteria is being closee to 30th St Station, so we may end up there anyway.

I'm not always handy in house stuff, but our vent from our dryer goes up and out somewhere. I dont see where it goes. High into the ceiling lol I won't know how you would know if it goes into your room unless you see the end of the vent sticking out into your room. Also, each room in Left Bank is completely different. All diff layouts. It was a converted train station so nothing is the same. I wonder if it is the same or diff in each apt.
Also, there are 3 washers and 3 dryers on the 6th floor for everyone to use. They are bigger so you can do bigger loads and I wash my comforter up there. If you are really concerned you can use those.

Being close to 30th st station is awesome. I go there all the time to catch amtrak to NY or DC. Also, if you just want to ride the local septa, or catch the train into NJ. Also convenient for when relatives or friends come to Philly to visit because they don't need a taxi and can easily find your place without getting lost.

I don't know if this is news to anyone else, but I just called admissions and asked about which phase in their admissions cycle they are in.
The gentleman that answered said they are still reviewing applications and calling people for interviews. The interviews are expected to wrap-up in March o_O

Thanks for the update! Still waiting patiently.

Question (I posted on Penn's page too but I want to hear as many opinions as possible):

I am currently scheduled to take 14 credits this semester (mostly online) and work 32 hours a week. I am trying to stave off loan payments by being a full time student (I cant work enough to pay for things while finishing some pre-reqs). I suck at math and I am scheduled to take Calculus online this semester and Oregon State does not require calc.

I am worried I will get a B and I dont want to burn my GPA if I have to apply again next year.

I have not heard anything from Penn. I am waitlisted at Oregon State (which I am THRILLED about).
What are my odds at this point of hearing anything positive from Penn?! Honestly, I was planning on moving to Oregon if I didn't get into vet school this year... and I know that I will go to Oregon if I make it off of the waitlist.

Should I drop calc and accept that I am withdrawing from Penn?!

How would a W look on my application (I have never withdrawn from a course before)?

Last edited:
Penn only needs for you to complete your courses by the end of summer. So, you can drop Calculus and take it as a summer class if you are accepted (and attending) Penn. I would check with admissions before making this change to ensure they're okay with it.

It sounds like Penn still has room in their class and you have plenty of hope left :)

Question (I posted on Penn's page too but I want to hear as many opinions as possible):

I am currently scheduled to take 14 credits this semester (mostly online) and work 32 hours a week. I am trying to stave off loan payments by being a full time student (I cant work enough to pay for things while finishing some pre-reqs). I suck at math and I am scheduled to take Calculus online this semester and Oregon State does not require calc.

I am worried I will get a B and I dont want to burn my GPA if I have to apply again next year.

I have not heard anything from Penn. I am waitlisted at Oregon State (which I am THRILLED about).
What are my odds at this point of hearing anything positive from Penn?! Honestly, I was planning on moving to Oregon if I didn't get into vet school this year... and I know that I will go to Oregon if I make it off of the waitlist.

Should I drop calc and accept that I am withdrawing from Penn?!

How would a W look on my application (I have never withdrawn from a course before)?

I had a couple Cs and a W. Grades are not everything for Penn. I think it was actually MO that has the highest GPA avg...they weed people out right away with stats

I'll also jump in here. I live at 42 & Spruce in a building with 8 apartments- almost all vet students and one medical student. It's a really nice building and my landlord is a decent guy. PM me for contact information
Are you my next door neighbor? I'm probably the guy with a frown on his face.

One thing that concerns me about the left bank (I will be checking them out when we come out for the Wife's interview) is that the reviews seem to imply that the dryers are vented into the room. From my understanding this can be a substantial heath risk. Unfortunately my number 1 criteria is being closee to 30th St Station, so we may end up there anyway.

All of the places I looked at in W. Philly with in-unit washers/dryers had self-venting driers (aka dryers that vented into the unit instead of outside). I lived with one for 2.5 years and didn't have any problems -- I was more concerned from a fire standpoint though, so we were careful to only run the drier when we were home and to leave the door into the washer/dryer room open to prevent heat buildup. These were the fancy Bosch washer/dryers meant for condos/apartments though -- not sure if that's different from what's in the Left Bank apartments -- but the lint trap was pretty efficient and I never noticed any decrease in air quality around the machine.

Bleh. I feel like I'm coming down with a cold and my interview is on Friday. Really, really don't want to be snotty/snuffly/coughing for it. Hoping it's more because I'm tired from getting up early to shadow a neurologist for the day. Will be picking up Emergen-c and and Vitamin C drops in the morning to give my immune system a little boost.

Are you my next door neighbor? I'm probably the guy with a frown on his face.

Maybe! I think I've seen you with your Italian greyhounds (I'm not stalking you, I swear. I just love IGs and their spindly legs). I'll say hi next time!

Maybe! I think I've seen you with your Italian greyhounds (I'm not stalking you, I swear. I just love IGs and their spindly legs). I'll say hi next time!
Another shy pennwe? "Ben and me" has been "seeing" me for a year and a half without saying hi.

I mean, I have people stop their cars to ask me about my dogs, and my own school-mates avoid me. Strange world we live in!

Another shy pennwe? "Ben and me" has been "seeing" me for a year and a half without saying hi.

I mean, I have people stop their cars to ask me about my dogs, and my own school-mates avoid me. Strange world we live in!

Hey now! I've been saying hi for the last 6 months at least!

Thanks BlacKAT33 and SnowyRox. I think I will keep holding out then :) I hear Penn has an incredible program... and being waitlist still means I am not accepted yet.

Hey now! I've been saying hi for the last 6 months at least!

Last fall I actually turned to GellaBella and was like "is ben and me still here?!?! i haven't seen her in forever!!!" then I saw you a couple months later lol

Also, I just realized that I have been confusing your name with AllThingsEquine, or maybe I am thinking of the wrong person?!?! Why does AllThingsEquine ring a bell? Is that a penn person too? Oooo maybe that was your friend!