Penn c/o 2016 applicants

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, and Emiloo: we should start a club. The Sock Brigade, or the Lonely Socks Club.

Emiloo: where you in Kansas on January 22?

Yes I was :)... apparently for no good reason as I'm pretty sure I'm getting a rejection today :oops:

Members don't see this ad.

Yes I was :)... apparently for no good reason as I'm pretty sure I'm getting a rejection today :oops:

That's how I feel EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I'm adding WildWoman to the list of Sockers. FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow.

In this club, we kick you out because we care!

Attachments

• socksong.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 36
Members don't see this ad :)
Why do you ask? Did you pinpoint who I am somehow? ;)

Yes! We sat next to each other and you mentioned the "pink juice." Did you sing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? [don't freak out. I ask EVERYONE this question]

Yes! We sat next to each other and you mentioned the "pink juice." Did you sing at the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade? [don't freak out. I ask EVERYONE this question]

Haha yeah that was me. Now you have me wondering who you are..... :rolleyes: When did you sit next to me? I was there forever lol

I have no idea how I would identify myself. Oh yeah - I was the nervous female applicant in the suit.

I'm from California and I was highly impressed by your parade credentials.

I have no idea how I would identify myself. Oh yeah - I was the nervous female applicant in the suit.

I'm from California and I was highly impressed by your parade credentials.

Well the fact that you are from California doesn't narrow it down either :laugh:, but it just now clicked who I think you are. Were you in a pink or coral shirt? Talking about needing to tone down your personality for interviews :laugh:??? :)

Hi All,

I'm going to Philly on the 23rd for my interview on the 24th and I was hoping some fellow SDNer would be able to "adopt" me for a couple nights. Would anyone here be willing to house a poor undergraduate prospective student?

I'm housebroken and don't make too much noise! Please PM me if you, or someone you know may be willing!

That is the weekend before finals :eek: lol if you PM me your email address I can send out an email to the list serve (and don't worry, this is frequently done for interns, externs, and other people visiting penn for a while).

Well the fact that you are from California doesn't narrow it down either :laugh:, but it just now clicked who I think you are. Were you in a pink or coral shirt? Talking about needing to tone down your personality for interviews :laugh:??? :)

Thassa me! Grey suit, pink blouse, nude shoes. My official interview outfit.

Another, (less interesting) explanation that I've heard is that Penn envisioned the vet school as an extension of/complement to the med school, so they wanted the degree to reflect that.

They didn't "envision" the vet school as an extension of the med school, it WAS (and is). "Many Species. One Medicine." Hey, they even trademarked that! :)

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/PennVet/AboutUs/tabid/247/Default.aspx

The easiest way to explain it is that there are MDs, and there are VMDs, both are doctors. I think Penn's way makes most sense.

They didn't "envision" the vet school as an extension of the med school, it WAS (and is). "Many Species. One Medicine." Hey, they even trademarked that! :)

http://www.vet.upenn.edu/PennVet/AboutUs/tabid/247/Default.aspx

The easiest way to explain it is that there are MDs, and there are VMDs, both are doctors. I think Penn's way makes most sense.

"In 1884, the University of Pennsylvania School of Veterinary Medicine was established at the urging of the University's School of Medicine. It was recognized that prevention and control of animal diseases had important implications for human health."

That's how I feel EVERY SINGLE DAY.
I'm adding WildWoman to the list of Sockers. FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow.

In this club, we kick you out because we care!

[:thumbup: like button] lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm still waiting also.. so I am a "sock".. although I have lots of holes and am falling apart at the seams. This is my last hope, in which I have no hope at all.

Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes

Raimes,you are welcome to join our exclusive club

... :p lol

Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes

Raimes,you are welcome to join our exclusive club

... :p lol

Ehem... you forgot little ol' Spoon!! :D

Sockers: WildWoman, FluteStar, LMMS, Virginger, TigerWillow, Bisbee, Emiloo, VacaMeansCow, Raimes, spoondiggity

Sorry!

May everyone in our little sock club hear only good news in the near future!

Crossing my fingers for us all!!

EDIT: Does anyone know if Penn has sent out any rejections yet? Or just invites?

I second the Penn awesomeness!! woot c/0 2016!

You're so wonderful! I have to say, I just avoid the Friday night crowds all together. usually in bed by 9 for my 5am wake up call :laugh:
lol i pretty much have no social life these days because i work 13 hour shifts on friday, saturday, sunday...i work 7am-8pm (at least, depending on how busy it is) meaning i'm in bed by like 10pm and up at 5:30am. so i hear ya there! :laugh:

At Penn, we...pay over twice the average debt for vet school!

oy vey. seriously. i'm not looking forward to the amount of debt i'll (we'll) be in! pretty much settled on the fact that i'll be dirt poor for the rest of my life but either way i wouldn't change my career for anything so i'm doing it anyway :p

PS....is it just a PennVet thing? I thought PennWes were anyone who went to Penn...the med students MUST say it too. :rolleyes:
i think it is a pennvet thing...i haven't heard the term applied to anyone else.

btw i'm excited to be a PENNWE come fall this year...just more of a reason for the vet/intern coordinator at work who is a cornell grad to make fun of me...he gives me such a hard time about it every time he seems me lol

ETA: crossing my fingers for all of you in the "sock club" :D :luck:

Splendid. So I'm faded pink panties for Davis. An old Western dishcloth. And now a UPenn sock blowin' in the wind. Sigh... :xf:

Splendid. So I'm faded pink panties for Davis. An old Western dishcloth. And now a UPenn sock blowin' in the wind. Sigh... :xf:

I am all these things too. Damn, pink panties??? Really???

Davis has a complex, exotic review process. :laugh:

Exotic, pink panties? Is that really good news? (So good, it's terribly inappropriate and you soiled yourself?) Or so bad, you soiled yourself?

Underwear metaphors!

Exotic, pink panties? Is that really good news? (So good, it's terribly inappropriate and you soiled yourself?) Or so bad, you soiled yourself?

Underwear metaphors!

I'm all bunched up with anticipation.:oops:

The interview isn't too intense or anything (although I was super nervous last year). One person has seen your application and one hasn't. The interviewer who hasn't seen your application asks most of the questions and if you look at the interview feedback on here, you'll get a pretty good idea of what types of questions are asked. You'll find out when you get there if you're interviewing in the 1st or 2nd session, which determines when you tour. While waiting for your interview, current students sit at tables with you and talk to you about the school, answer questions you might have, and just try to make you more at ease.

The happy hour afterwards is pretty fun. If you go to it, some current students will take you over once the the last group of interviews are done. It's a great way to meet current students and get to know more about the school from them and just relax and ease your nerves left over from the day. A lot of people bring their pets, so there tends to be a bunch of dogs running around. Last year I think I recall current students even inviting us to a party with a bunch of their class later that night. For some reason, I think it was a Traffic Light party...could be wrong.

Thank you so much! How long was your interview? I think I read that it is typically 30 minutes. How soon after the interview do they notify you? Haha that is awesome about the traffic light party...those are so fun!

p.s. Good luck to everyone still waiting! This is my second year applying and I didn't hear from Penn until March last year.

Interviews are scheduled in 30 min blocks... but mine was probably a little short because it was the last one of the day and they were wrapping up. But you are talking with the students for about 2 hours and they get some input in the process, so you have to act like a normal person for at least that long ;-).

Oh, and they will tell you within a week. I heard early Monday morning after my interview!

Horseluv - When you heard from them in March last year, was it an interview? I just wonder if they're saving the rejections to send out in March or what.

This waiting is killing me! But I am still trying to stay positive :xf:Does anyone know how they prioritize the interviews? Is it by the numbers like grades and such or is it by specific interest in vet med? I know that the cream of the crop usually gets interviewed first.

Earlier in the thread, someone said it was totally random, but I'm beginning to find that hard to believe. They don't seem to have rejected anyone they've interviewed at all! They have to reject someone, so it will likely be those of us who don't get an interview. If I'm wrong, someone let us know...has anyone who has interviewed been rejected?

Horseluv - When you heard from them in March last year, was it an interview? I just wonder if they're saving the rejections to send out in March or what.

Unfortunately, it was a rejection. :( But I wouldn't give up hope yet-I know someone that was invited for an interview and I believe it was the end of February/early March that they heard. I don't remember exactly, but I remember thinking it was late. I would recommend calling. I called about 6 times last year and they were always really nice about it.

Interviews are scheduled in 30 min blocks... but mine was probably a little short because it was the last one of the day and they were wrapping up. But you are talking with the students for about 2 hours and they get some input in the process, so you have to act like a normal person for at least that long ;-).

Oh, and they will tell you within a week. I heard early Monday morning after my interview!

Thanks! Wow..that's a lot of pressure to be the last person. Glad to hear you were accepted!!! I am so glad that they don't make you wait for a long time like some schools. I am keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. :xf:

Earlier in the thread, someone said it was totally random, but I'm beginning to find that hard to believe. They don't seem to have rejected anyone they've interviewed at all! They have to reject someone, so it will likely be those of us who don't get an interview. If I'm wrong, someone let us know...has anyone who has interviewed been rejected?

Has Penn sent out ANY rejections yet? I thought they did it a little at a time... some interviews, some rejections.. but all I've seen are interviews and acceptances! Makes me think they're saving all the rejections for last.... :(

Has Penn sent out ANY rejections yet? I thought they did it a little at a time... some interviews, some rejections.. but all I've seen are interviews and acceptances! Makes me think they're saving all the rejections for last.... :(
That is the way it's beginning to look, isn't it? The more time goes on, the less likely it is to get an interview. With no rejections yet, it becomes more and more likely that our applications will end up in the rejection pile. With this in mind, I'm working on my Plan B but still hoping to get an interview invitation. Although current UPenn students have stated that it's all done in random order, it really doesn't seem that way or else people would be getting rejected along the way. Sure...if they don't have enough people who they've already accepted take their admissions offers, then they will have to admit more of those still waiting. But it seems like their secret version of a wait list to me.

For those of you who are current Penn Vet students.... Does the admissions committee usually call everyone the Monday following the interview or does it sometimes take a few days? If you aren't called Monday can you assume you are on the "hold" list?

Hey vethopeful! When I interviewed mid-Jan, I heard Monday afternoon, but others I know heard either Tuesday or Wednesday. It really depends on your interviewer and their schedule. But don't worry too much!! Bc I know people who didn't hear for over a week an they were accepted :)

It was the longest Monday of my life tho, I will admit ;)

For those of you wondering about rejections, here's your answer. Just got rejected from Penn after my interview and haven't been able to process it yet. I have no idea what is expected of me anymore. I came out of my interview feeling a lot better than last year when I ended up as #2 on the IS wait list. This year nothing. Starting to wonder if I did something wrong somewhere...

Last edited:
For those of you wondering about rejections, here's your answer. Just got rejected from Penn after my interview and haven't been able to process it yet. I have no idea what is expected of me anymore. I came out of my interview feeling a lot better than last year and I ended up as #2 on the IS wait list. This year nothing. Starting to wonder if I did something wrong somewhere...

What?! :(

For those of you wondering about rejections, here's your answer. Just got rejected from Penn after my interview and haven't been able to process it yet. I have no idea what is expected of me anymore. I came out of my interview feeling a lot better than last year and I ended up as #2 on the IS wait list. This year nothing. Starting to wonder if I did something wrong somewhere...

:(:(:(:( So sorry Orca :(

I'm so sorry to hear this :( I'm sure you didn't do anything "wrong", but I definitely understand the feeling.