Penn

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
That's it. I'm going to have to visit you now, just so we can have a movie night. When is good for you? :D

Anytime after my thesis due date, except for revisits (when I obviously won't be around). PM me. :D

Members don't see this ad.

JESUS! I leave for a lab meeting and the world explodes!

Anyhow!

My Top Ten Foreign Movies (no particular order), also I'm not nearly as well versed as some, so take it with grains of salt

The Bicycle Thief (the ending will make you cry)
Ikiru
L'age D'or
The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
8 1/2 (my all time favorite)
Chien Andalou
City of God
400 Blows
Kind Hearts and Coronets (Does england count?)
La Dolce Vita

I think I'm heavily biased towards italian and surrealist films.

Pickles, speaking of Jane Austen, what did you think of the new Masterpiece Theatre productions?

My verdicts:

1) Northanger Abbey - terrific; we badly needed a good adaptation of this one, and now we have it. I didn't mind the few liberties taken at all - the adaptation was in the spirit of the book, if it didn't always adhere to the letter. Andrew Davies sure knows how to adapt Jane Austen - after all, he did the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice.
2) Persuasion - had the potential to be good, but this is my favourite JA and my standards for it are therefore high. The ending ruined it, IMO. What were they thinking tampering with the greatest letter in all of fiction? And having Anne running through the streets as if it were Run Lola Run? The 1995 movie is still the one to watch. Can't believe I left it out of my earlier list.
3) Mansfield Park - As far as I know, Fanny Price was not spunky and did not have modern-looking bangs/highlights, etc. And what was with the waltzing on the garden? Anachronism!!! They did the same in the new Persuasion movie, too. Ugh.

Members don't see this ad :)
You know, I actually haven't seen these adaptations!! (Although it seems they are all uploaded onto Youtube -- may the procrastination continue!!)

I have seen the 1995 Persuasion, though, and I agree. It is a gem.

Pickles, speaking of Jane Austen, what did you think of the new Masterpiece Theatre productions?

My verdicts:

1) Northanger Abbey - terrific; we badly needed a good adaptation of this one, and now we have it. I didn't mind the few liberties taken at all - the adaptation was in the spirit of the book, if it didn't always adhere to the letter. Andrew Davies sure knows how to adapt Jane Austen - after all, he did the 1995 BBC Pride and Prejudice.
2) Persuasion - had the potential to be good, but this is my favourite JA and my standards for it are therefore high. The ending ruined it, IMO. What were they thinking tampering with the greatest letter in all of fiction? And having Anne running through the streets as if it were Run Lola Run? The 1995 movie is still the one to watch. Can't believe I left it out of my earlier list.
3) Mansfield Park - As far as I know, Fanny Price was not spunky and did not have modern-looking bangs/highlights, etc. And what was with the waltzing on the garden? Anachronism!!! They did the same in the new Persuasion movie, too. Ugh.

Here's one that uses neither facebook nor AIM, nor goes movies more than 3 times a year.

I tried to quit SDN cause it was taking over my life...and I come back to this crazy thread! O_O

And did I miss the massive facebook adding party? >_<

if you've recently been poked, it is not a sign of sexual attraction...

I think I'm heavily biased towards italian and surrealist films.

I'm excited to hear all of the incredible taste in movies; I hope the program I'm at next year (U of Cincinnati or Ohio State) has individuals as cool as you all are.

Although I'd be hard pressed to make a list of my favorite movies (foreign and/or American), I'd have to say that some of the best films I've seen are:

Days of Heaven
Down by Law
Andrei Rublev
Once Upon a Time in the West
Naked Lunch
Rushmore
If...

I'm also excited to be taking a motion picture class on surrealism next quarter.

Dear Skip and Maggie,
I know we have discussed previously why I want to come to Penn. Yet those reasons were entirely centered around such crusty issues as faculty, integration between the two degree programs, and having had a wonderful time there in my undergraduate studies. All of this pales in comparison to the stunning revelation I have just received: Penn students have great taste in movies.
Sincerely,
Ari

:)

Apropos, y'all know that Penn's library has an awesome DVD collection, right? Franklin claims 8583 DVDs. Many of them are obviously not things you'd sit down and watch on a Friday night with friends, but many of them are....

I like your personal favourites in English, Pennquaker. Mine, in no particular order, are:
Love Story*

*You can't really claim to have seen this movie unless you've been a froshie here and watched it during orientation week with members of the Crimson Key society shouting out jokes and mocking punchlines, or pointing out factual errors ("That's Emerson Hall, not Barrett.") Hilarious comedy. :laugh:

"Let's play the dying game. You first!"
My deep dark secret, I went to see it again this year with my freshman brother. I graduated 2 years ago...Hell, I would see it every year if I could. Are they screening it at senior week?

Members don't see this ad :)
Kieslowski's /Trois Couleurs/ series (1993-1994)*

*yes, I cheated, but all three are unbelievable.

I was pretty partial to "Blanc," but didn't like the others quite as much...

I was pretty partial to "Blanc," but didn't like the others quite as much...

Really? Out of all three I thought /Blanc/ was (comparably) the weakest--though of course still great. The films I found just completely sweeping, probing examinations of the landscape of the human psyche. Kieslowski can capture Juliette Binoche's soul in /Bleu/ so adeptly just by watching her sultrily swimming, etc.

Plus, nobody can end a film like Kieslowski. All three films' endings brought me to tears in their beauty (the montage at the end of /Bleu/, Karol watching Julie Delpy with a tear in his eye at the end of /Blanc/ and the news report at the end of /Rouge/). All three films tied together so beautifully, so majestically. It really shows what a truly masterful filmmaker Kieslowski is.

Plus, nobody can end a film like Kieslowski. All three films' endings brought me to tears in their beauty (the montage at the end of /Bleu/, Karol watching Julie Delpy with a tear in his eye at the end of /Blanc/ and the news report at the end of /Rouge/). All three films tied together so beautifully, so majestically. It really shows what a truly masterful filmmaker Kieslowski is.

I agree, the endings (especially Rouge) are magnificent! Also, my judgment of films is always deeply tainted by my state-of-mind at the time that I see them and the degree to which I identify with the characters, and less based on the objective quality of filmmaking. I guess I'll have to watch these again and maybe I'll see them in a new light the 2nd time around.

"Let's play the dying game. You first!"

LOL!!! :laugh:

My deep dark secret, I went to see it again this year with my freshman brother. I graduated 2 years ago...Hell, I would see it every year if I could. Are they screening it at senior week?

Yes, I believe they are. Don't they always? I'm looking forward to it. :D

Yes, I believe they are. Don't they always? I'm looking forward to it. :D

I don't think they did it my year. Maybe that's why I felt the need to crash the frosh one...Anyway, I'll be on the lookout!

hey marctam - were you talking in the penn thread about hoegaarden? I just tried some last night (wheat/belgian white)...very good, but I'm already biased towards wheat, unfiltered beers...

I'm already biased towards wheat, unfiltered beers...

I don't usually drink wheat beers but that's what I like if I do as well. Hoegaarden is pretty much everywhere here.

I'm big into beers and Philly has a lot of great places to sample them with a wide variety of beers. This is why it drives me nuts when students want to go to Noche.

I'm excited to hear all of the incredible taste in movies; I hope the program I'm at next year (U of Cincinnati or Ohio State) has individuals as cool as you all are.

Although I'd be hard pressed to make a list of my favorite movies (foreign and/or American), I'd have to say that some of the best films I've seen are:

Days of Heaven
Down by Law
Andrei Rublev
Once Upon a Time in the West
Naked Lunch
Rushmore
If...

I'm also excited to be taking a motion picture class on surrealism next quarter.

I don't know about the kids at OSU, but I think this list is awesome, and it should be obvious... *I'm* awesome.

Go Cinci!

hey marctam - were you talking in the penn thread about hoegaarden? I just tried some last night (wheat/belgian white)...very good, but I'm already biased towards wheat, unfiltered beers...

yes, its my favorite, though ive found that most wheat beers are good (not true of pilsners IMO)

I don't usually drink wheat beers but that's what I like if I do as well. Hoegaarden is pretty much everywhere here.

I'm big into beers and Philly has a lot of great places to sample them with a wide variety of beers. This is why it drives me nuts when students want to go to Noche.

I remember my weekend at Penn..we couldn't get into Noche immediately because of a party so we went into the bar downstairs (?) - definitely more my scene

I looooove wheat beers - very sweet though (girly) but I also like some ales and a variety of lagers...

so Philly has 'beer gardens'? Those sorts of places are so much fun...awesome to just chill and have couple of drinks

I remember my weekend at Penn..we couldn't get into Noche immediately because of a party so we went into the bar downstairs (?) - definitely more my scene

Yeah Drinkers is next door. I was there :p Drinkers is at least cheap but it's not much better than Noche. They don't have that many beers either and it gets real loud and crowded in there.

so Philly has 'beer gardens'? Those sorts of places are so much fun...awesome to just chill and have couple of drinks

We used to have a German beer garden but it closed down. Still, there are a number of Belgian style pubs with great beer selections and some other cool pubs. Philly has a really good bar scene.

We used to have a German beer garden but it closed down. Still, there are a number of Belgian style pubs with great beer selections and some other cool pubs. Philly has a really good bar scene.

Monk's FTW!

Ari

how is everyone passing the time until decisions come out??

Yeah Drinkers is next door. I was there :p Drinkers is at least cheap but it's not much better than Noche. They don't have that many beers either and it gets real loud and crowded in there.

when you say beer selection, how large are you speaking? there are a couple of places near me that have over 100 different beers (>80 on tap) - great place to chill and choose your beer by country!

Ok, I'm no longer pretending to do homework. Instead I am going to go find some ice cream. This could prove difficult on easter...

tomorrow? wednesday? less than 48 hours?

Yeah there's a few places in Philly like that as well.

awesome!

If i get into penn i'm totally going to get people to visit one (or more) of those places during revisit!

I'm not sure how much your average student knows/cares about these places... You can always call me though!

what? you mean like an SDN/Penn party? count me in!!!*

*if i get in...

I agree, if J doesn't get in, something is wrong with the universe. However, you do have an awesome alternative!

Me, on the other hand, I am preparing myself for the worst:
PennStatus.jpg

Do you think if I posted this in pre-allo that the status page would crash because everyone would start checking it??

I agree, if J doesn't get in, something is wrong with the universe. However, you do have an awesome alternative!

Me, on the other hand, I am preparing myself for the worst:
PennStatus.jpg

Do you think if I posted this in pre-allo that the status page would crash because everyone would start checking it??

omg! photoshop? can you make me one? but instead of "tier two waitlist" can you put "j00 h4v3 epicfailed o_O"

Mine would be:

Pennquaker08: Ummm...no. But definitely don't forget to donate to the Penn Alumni Association!

Mine would be:

Pennquaker08: Ummm...no. But definitely don't forget to donate to the Penn Alumni Association!

Nice! Maybe they'll start having current Penn Med students call you as part of their work-study so you can see what you're missing.

Ari

i think all this waiting and anticipation is making me fail out of school....i can't move forward until i hear!!

does anyone else think maybe we'll never hear?? I'm about a day or 2 from giving up on hearing from penn...