PennVet c/o 2027

Started by mkg323
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

I wonder if interview invite waves are actually over and these last few are from the waiting list?

They seem much more sporadic than the last few weeks
It's the same number of people per week, it's just that those who are getting interview invites aren't on SDN or the Facebook page (or are but aren't sharing) 🙂
 
I got an interview invite at around 12 pm ish!!!

Does anyone know if this website (University of Pennsylvania | Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements) has the correct stats? It is associated with AAVMC, so I assume it is somewhat reputable. Under the Acceptance data it says "288 interviewed, 204 accepted into class, 124 matriculated." If so, you have a 71% chance of acceptance after interviewing. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be great if it's true lol.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I got an interview invite at around 12 pm ish!!!

Does anyone know if this website (University of Pennsylvania | Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements) has the correct stats? It is associated with AAVMC, so I assume it is somewhat reputable. Under the Acceptance data it says "288 interviewed, 204 accepted into class, 124 matriculated." If so, you have a 71% chance of acceptance after interviewing. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be great if it's true lol.
Do we know about how many people applied this year?
 
I wonder if interview invite waves are actually over and these last few are from the waiting list?

They seem much more sporadic than the last few weeks
Last weeks interview invites were for Feb 10 and the one I got today was for Feb 17 so it is very possible they would do at least one more round of invites for the following Friday since that will still be February!
 
Do we know about how many people applied this year?
Penn had 1630 applications this year!

I got an interview invite at around 12 pm ish!!!

Does anyone know if this website (University of Pennsylvania | Veterinary Medical School Admission Requirements) has the correct stats? It is associated with AAVMC, so I assume it is somewhat reputable. Under the Acceptance data it says "288 interviewed, 204 accepted into class, 124 matriculated." If so, you have a 71% chance of acceptance after interviewing. I don't want to get my hopes up, but it would be great if it's true lol.
This acceptance data is correct to my knowledge except for the stat about how many they accepted. I know they typically overaccept (that's why my class is so large) but an overacceptance of 80 students seems problematic to me in the event that all 200 accept (we do not have the resources to deal with a class that big lol). Maybe that includes waitlist as well?

AAVMC is reputable, I just wonder where they got that information from because the number of apps received and how many matriculated is correct, at least according to the meeting I attended today and our state of the school address from last week.

For those of you who have interviewed and been accepted when/how long after your interview were you notified of your acceptance? I heard its usually Monday or Tuesday but if anyone remembers what time specifically please share🙂
I was called at like 4:30pm EST, missed the call and he called back after 5:30pm EST.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum? They recently became an option for me and I’m realizing I genuinely am having a hard time deciding between them and another school
 
For those of you who have interviewed and been accepted when/how long after your interview were you notified of your acceptance? I heard its usually Monday or Tuesday but if anyone remembers what time specifically please share🙂
I got the call on a Monday at 11:11 EST! I also know that it's not uncommon to get called later in the week.
 
Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum? They recently became an option for me and I’m realizing I genuinely am having a hard time deciding between them and another school

I’m not a current student (yet!) but I work with a lot of Penn first years and they’ve all said they like the new curriculum so far! From what I understand, all of your classes are taught in 3 week (ish) blocks that each focus more on a body system (rather than individually focused classes like pathology, histo, whatever). That’s the first two years, and then you start with clinical rotations and electives at the beginning of your third year, which is a lot earlier than most schools! Any current students please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong or missed anything [emoji4]
 
Does anyone know more about Penn’s new curriculum?
All of your classes are taught in 3 week (ish) blocks that each focus more on a body system (rather than individually focused classes like pathology, histo, whatever). That’s the first two years, and then you start with clinical rotations and electives at the beginning of your third year, which is a lot earlier than most schools! Any current students please feel free to correct me if I got anything wrong or missed anything.

Current first year.

Most of the blocks are 4 weeks with a couple that are slightly shorter. These blocks include lectures with anatomy and histology labs to complement (+ imaging in the case of immunology) whichever system we’re working on, as mentioned by @arm99.

The first year is supposed to focus on how each system functions when it’s healthy, then I believe we’ll learn disease processes in second year.

So far, we’ve had (1) muscles + bones, (2) circulatory + respiratory, (3) reproductive, and (4) immune. Then (5) digestion + metabolism, (6) elimination + detoxification, and (7) cognition + senses remain this spring.

Each block is run differently depending on the course organizers. Some have quizzes and multiple written exams and a lab exam, while others only have a final written and lab exam. It’s pretty variable.

In addition to these “system” classes, we also have two other courses at the same time. One is about scientific literacy, such as interpreting data and literature appropriately. The second teaches clinical skills. We have three 1-hour lectures and a rotating clinical skills labs every week. The clinical labs are pretty variable, from learning the basics of physical exams on different species to suturing and knot tying to working on communication in a simulated clinical setting.

For a 2-3 weeks at the beginning of each semester, we have a foundations class that is on the basic biology concepts that we need for the upcoming blocks of the semester. They are designed so that every student knows the same basics since prerequisites can vary quite a bit.

For 2 weeks at the end of each semester, we have a course where we review concepts from the semester through case studies, NAVLE prep, and other things during the mornings. We spend 3 hours each afternoon for those 2 weeks at an elective of our choosing (they provide a list to “apply” for and they match you). These electives were sort of all over the place with respect to content. Some students did community outreach teaching local students about science, while others were shadowing a service in the hospitals.

They’re still changing things as they go and adjusting for things that did and did not work this year, so it’s definitely still a work in progress (but what isn’t?). That being said, I think the professors and administration are doing a good job listening to feedback provided by our class and genuinely care about making it a great curriculum for the students.

Feel free to DM me with any specific questions about PennVet, life in Philly, picking a school, or if you just need to talk to someone new about a really big and exciting or frustrating / disappointing time in your life.
 
Do you guys think they admit a certain amount of students each interview week?

ex: 7 weeks of interviews, 160 spots (guessing they want to accept more people in case anyone declines their offer), so your chance = 22 / 42 people / week.

Or do you think its totally at random and at the end of the interview cycle if they have 7 spots left your chances decline to 7/42 if you're interviewing one of the last weeks?

I'm probably way over analyzing here, but I'm really stressed haha.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Anyone else who interviewed Friday not hear anything yet? I know they can still call tomorrow but I’m super nervous
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad