This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Rhi96

c/o 2025
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello!

I am a California resident who is currently trying to decide between the University of Pennsylvania and the RVC in London. Sadly, I didn’t get into any of the schools on my personal “Top 5” list, but I am trying to remain optimistic and still feel very grateful for the acceptances I do have. I have been considering the pros and cons of both PennVet and the RVC over the last few weeks, but I am still having a hard time choosing. I am visiting Philadelphia for the first time next week to see how it feels, and I have visited London several times. Any input would be much appreciated! To add, I've also been accepted at St. George's and Edinburgh and waitlisted at WSU and VMCVM.

University of Pennsylvania
Pros:
- Moving would MUCH easier
- Cheaper cost of living
- My partner would have more job opportunities as a structural engineer and his salary would be higher
- I would be able to keep my car, which I am JUST about to pay off after 5 years
- Bringing my 2 dogs would be easy (I'm bringing them no matter what!)
- My main interests are in wildlife/exotic medicine and I am very impressed with PennVet’s elective options in these areas

Cons:
- Costs 50k more in tuition (though after running the numbers and looking into PAYE, I calculated that after 20 years of making minimum payments, I would only owe a tax bomb of about 30k more in the end for Penn vs. London… Also, I’m considering doing PSLF, so if all my loans are forgiven in the end, does my tuition matter?)
- Feels like the less adventurous choice and I never really imagined myself living in Pennsylvania

Royal Veterinary College
Pros:
- Consistently in the top rankings among veterinary schools and great reputation overall
- Feels like the more adventurous, exciting choice! I would love to travel and explore London/Europe as much as possible, but I am trying to be realistic about this with all the studying I will be doing (and COVID...)
- 50k cheaper in tuition
- I’m a UK citizen through my father, so I wouldn’t have to deal with visa stuff

Cons:
- Moving is complicated and expensive
- Everything feels so uncertain with COVID right now… I’m worried about the new variants and the fact that I may spend thousands of dollars to move to another country, just to be quarantined and end up doing online classes for the first year
- I would have to sell my car and probably couldn’t afford another with all the loans I’m going to take out
- My partner has fewer job options and his salary would take a significant hit (engineers aren’t compensated nearly as much in the UK as they are in the US). He just finished his Master’s degree and although I think he would make the move, I don’t think it would be his first choice.
- I don’t know what to expect with the different teaching style in the UK and the younger crowd I will be in. Could be great, could not.

Members don't see this ad.

If you have UK citizenship, you may qualify for home fees at RVC. This would reduce your tuition to about $13,000 per year- a HUGE difference from UPenn ($63,000 per year). I have a friend who is American but has British citizenship from her grandparents, and that's what she did. Just something to think about.

If you have UK citizenship, you may qualify for home fees at RVC. This would reduce your tuition to about $13,000 per year- a HUGE difference from UPenn ($63,000 per year). I have a friend who is American but has British citizenship from her grandparents, and that's what she did. Just something to think about.
I have already checked on this several times. Unfortunately, to get home fee status, the RVC and UK government require that you must live in the UK for 3 consecutive years prior to applying. My UK citizenship alone does not count without proof that I have lived there for the last 3 years. This may be a recent change, I am not sure. I wish it was different because then my choice would be very easy! Thank you for the thought, though!

Last edited:
I would say that being on lockdown with online classes for first year is a very real possibility. The situation here is still pretty bad, we have just slightly lifted lockdown again and I can't see us opening on the government's timeline. And even with the government recommendations, RVC is being very cautious and will likely have the majority of first years online next yea from the sounds of it. So much is up in the air right now it is just impossible to tell. Which I can appreciate is not helpful when you're making a decision. Also don't depend on RVC to give you any information until a few weeks before. They are horrific at telling students things ahead of time.

As for expenses, tuition here is really pretty reasonable considering UPenn; but with all the extra expenses it may end up costing you more. The pound has been getting annoyingly strong so that is a concern for US loans. Also the cost of living in London is insane and you will likely have a decent commute to Camden first year, especially with dogs. I've had friends pay well over $1,000 to bring a cat over here, so the cost of two dogs could be quite high. Also an expense is your partners visa and lost wages, salaries here are not great and jobs are few and far between right now. If they can find a job to give them a visa independently, that is idea for your costs, but it is more likely you would have to go the unmarried or married (depending on your situation) partner route so I would recommend looking into that.

Being in the 4 year program is great because the first year is all international students and older UK students who already have a degree. It helps make the transition easier into the UK school and the younger crowd. The entire setting here is much less professional than a US school, and sometimes the kids will drive you crazy, but overall it isn't terrible. They get better as they get closer to clinics and with lockdown, but don't expect to join a club that doesn't go to Zoo Bar as their socials every week to get hammered and stumble onto the train home. The culture here is a bit of a shock if you're expecting US vet school-- think undergrad freshman year but no one is hiding the drinking/stupidity that kids do.

Reactions: 1 user