Pharmacy School Extracurriculars Advice.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GodIsBeautiful

ℬ.
Removed
2+ Year Member
Reaction score
What are the typical extracurriculars and/or accolades a rising sophomore applying to pharmacy school should have?
  • Is having pharmacy experience a must around this time? I know it would look good on the application, but at this my young age (literally 19 y/o), I'm not certified for anything. Only CPR (*laughs bitterly* ). I have shadowed health professionals, but I'm worried that it is not enough.
  • Do younger pharmacy school applicants/underclassmen get less privilege than upperclassman or bachelor degree holders when applying?
  • Anyone applying in the Fall 2019 cycle?! Hey! :D
Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

What are the typical extracurriculars and/or accolades a rising sophomore applying to pharmacy school should have?
  • Is having pharmacy experience a must around this time? I know it would look good on the application, but at this my young age (literally 19 y/o), I'm not certified for anything. Only CPR (*laughs bitterly* ). I have shadowed health professionals, but I'm worried that it is not enough.
  • Do younger pharmacy school applicants/underclassmen get less privilege than upperclassman or bachelor degree holders when applying?
  • Anyone applying in the Fall 2019 cycle?! Hey! :D
Thank you!

1) A “must” ?? No....but....This is one of those rare careers you can actually work in at a young age AND NOT JUST SHADOW. Go to your nearest police station, pay for fingerprinting (background check) send a 2x2 mug shot on SOP form and send it to your state capital. Wait patiently and before you know it you are state certified to work in a pharmacy as a tech (this is different than being PTCB holder mind you). For your future and your future (did I mention future?) GET THE EXPERIENCE

2) Who would you accept: 4.0 just did pre-reqs underclassman or 4.0 bachelor of science holder who also did research with professors as their mentors? The more upper division science classes you take AND do well in the more competitive of an applicant you are. These days just about anyone who’s close to a min pre-req 3.0 gets accepted (be cautious on this).

3). Concerning 2019 fall:

currently active duty army as a pharm tech and fighting a medical discharge (wanna stay in longer). If worst case scenario Iam let go I’m considering returning to pharm school. ONLY considering due to my education being 100% covered while receiving a disability rated check from the VA and working as an intern. Thus, my only concern is just getting picked up with no loans holding me back (I can go on and on about this).

Anymore questions and/or concerns ask away on here. Careful though, you might get your answer in more ways than you’d like.

Reactions: 1 user
@BC_39 Thank you so much for you response! Much appreciated.

My cGPA is 3.5-3.6, and yes, I’ve done more things than shadowing, but also research at different settings! I just don’t want something like not taking a specific class another applicant took holding me back. I really want to get into pharmacy school, and I’m not going to be hindered!

And with your duty, did you have time to take the PCAT? Are you taking it this Summer or do you still have three years since you took the test? Wow, I really do wish you good luck on this upcoming cycle.

PS: Thanks for the advice! People on here are scary, but ‘aye, that’s the real, social media world for me! SDN has been helpful thus far, though.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know that some of them here are scary as much as they are just blunt and/or brutally honest.

You received good advice above. If you can spend some time in the pharmacy before starting school, it'll show them that you understand the role that you're planning on taking on. It separates you from those that just see the earnings potential (I did say potential, not guaranteed).

Keep doing what you're doing :)

I don't know that some of them here are scary as much as they are just blunt and/or brutally honest.

You received good advice above. If you can spend some time in the pharmacy before starting school, it'll show them that you understand the role that you're planning on taking on. It separates you from those that just see the earnings potential (I did say potential, not guaranteed).

Keep doing what you're doing :)

Brutally honest hurts, girl. ;(

I'm just going to apply this upcoming semester, and see where it leads me to. The school I reaaaally want to attend is not too picky with their requirements so if I get in, then to God be the glory. If not, I know what I need to work on. Heh, thank you so, so much for your words! :)

Brutally honest hurts, girl. ;(

I'm just going to apply this upcoming semester, and see where it leads me to. The school I reaaaally want to attend is not too picky with their requirements so if I get in, then to God be the glory. If not, I know what I need to work on. Heh, thank you so, so much for your words! :)

Since you are trying to see what happens, and leaving it to God to help, then let me give you once piece of advice. If they grant you an interview, and they ask you if You have any questions for them.. Ask them what would make you a better candidate? Not an expected question, especially from a 19 year old.

That's actually a reasonable question to ask; how many people my age actually get accepted to the program.

You're applying this year too, right? Do you fear underclassmen populating your pharmacy class or does it not matter to you?

I will be applying this cycle, too, yes, but I'm non-traditional student. I'll be in school where I'll be nearly 2x some students' age, or in your case, I'm more than 2x your age :) Age doesn't have a lot of meaning to me. It's about the character of the person, the passion that they have, the drive that they have. That's what is going to matter in school. Not who may or may not be old enough to drink...

That's actually a reasonable question to ask; how many people my age actually get accepted to the program.

You're applying this year too, right? Do you fear underclassmen populating your pharmacy class or does it not matter to you?

It is not that competitive to get accepted. MD/DO, AA, and PA are competitive. Understand that pharmacy is saturated and new schools pop up all the time while some need seats to fill. It’s a business. Matter of fact a majority of people have hardly stepped foot in a pharmacy claiming it’s a “passion” (.....) yet as I said above it’s one of the easiest ways to work in pharmacy messing with early refills/phone ringing off the hook/ insurance claims primary-secondaries, PA forms, inventory, how to write sigs etc etc yet NO ONE does it before school. you must multi-task at fast pace.

Have a contingency plan of loans...crunch the numbers. Your take home with loans and maxed 401k is that of a teacher salary for 10-15 years depending how aggressive you are (if you even get full-time hours).

You young and will be doing this job for 40+ years....make sure it’s what you want...debt don’t care about economy....it will remain with you...good luck

Reactions: 1 users
I will be applying this cycle, too, yes, but I'm non-traditional student. I'll be in school where I'll be nearly 2x some students' age, or in your case, I'm more than 2x your age :) Age doesn't have a lot of meaning to me. It's about the character of the person, the passion that they have, the drive that they have. That's what is going to matter in school. Not who may or may not be old enough to drink...

You RIGHT. Good luck during this round, love! I’m hoping for nothing but the best for us.

It is not that competitive to get accepted. MD/DO, AA, and PA are competitive. Understand that pharmacy is saturated and new schools pop up all the time while some need seats to fill. It’s a business. Matter of fact a majority of people have hardly stepped foot in a pharmacy claiming it’s a “passion” (.....) yet as I said above it’s one of the easiest ways to work in pharmacy messing with early refills/phone ringing off the hook/ insurance claims primary-secondaries, PA forms, inventory, how to write sigs etc etc yet NO ONE does it before school. you must multi-task at fast pace.

Have a contingency plan of loans...crunch the numbers. Your take home with loans and maxed 401k is that of a teacher salary for 10-15 years depending how aggressive you are (if you even get full-time hours).

You young and will be doing this job for 40+ years....make sure it’s what you want...debt don’t care about economy....it will remain with you...good luck

Pharmacy is only a part of my future plans, lol. I just want to have a solid foundation now, so I have the rest of my life to pursue other goals. I’d finish pharmacy school pretty young, at around 23, and have the time to commit to other career-oriented goals of mine. :)

But yes, thank you for the real, solid advice. I need some sort of a wake-up call. Good luck!

Pharmacy is only a part of my future plans, lol. I just want to have a solid foundation now, so I have the rest of my life to pursue other goals. I’d finish pharmacy school pretty young, at around 23, and have the time to commit to other career-oriented goals of mine. :)

But yes, thank you for the real, solid advice. I need some sort of a wake-up call. Good luck!

Though it’s little advice (take it as you will): why go $225,000 + IN DEBT at 23 for a “partial future plan?” And end up paying almost DOUBLE that by the time you pay off interest? I know you a teenager and it’s hard to grasp but based on this statement you need to work in a health care field and persue something else (for your life-passion-goal oriented self). Schooling should be one thing: an investment to life’s-freedom not bondage. If not aggressive (you won’t be it comes with time) you’ll be pushing 40’s by the time you have no student debt....

House: $120k - 300k+ at 3.7% interest
Vehicle: $12k - 35k + at 6% interest (if better credit more power to you)
Student Loans: 225k + at 3.8% interest

Income (33% taxed, 15% invested) of $120k (these days less income) —-> $57,600 take home

Student loan payment + vehicle + house or rent + pmi + property tax (if home) + utilities + health insurance ~ ~~~>>> $29,100 take home or $2425 a month for miscellaneous items / gas / oil change / phone / entertainment.... that’s assuming heavy investments and modest pay on loans. I clear more than that in military with pension I want to my name!

Nonetheless, if you can offset loans and out-compete with your morale intact I say go for it....but the salary fools too many youngsters ... even those that have worked as a tech for 10+ years. That’s my rant: keep studying and live beneath your means. You’ll be a happy camper. Wish you well.

Good morning, @BC_89!

I think with every career’s schooling, there will be student loans if you are unable to pay the tuition fully. Some people go to Ivy Leagues that are very expensive during their undergraduate, but they still pursue graduate schooling; loans on their backs and all. I applied to multiple seven-year BS/MD programs from high school, but if I truly wanted to be an MD (salary, work, schooling including) and go to medical school, wouldn’t I have chosen that instead of a 2+4? Yes, but I didn’t. Why? Because pharmacy is what I want to do. :)

Heh, I’ve never mentioned my worry about salary/pay in pharmacy nor did I say it would pay for all my life’s dreams and aspirations. Simply the fact that it is apart of my future career-goals, which I’d like to accomplish as soon as possible, by any means necessary. Everyone has a reason for going into a specific field, but nonetheless the reason, they still go for it! I’m hard-working, young, and have a vision for what I want to do with my degree. And being a pharmacist is one of them.

I believe it is one’s self-determination and how they go about getting what they want that determines how their life will turn out, not statistics.

Thank you very much for the advice love!

A good rule of thumb is to join two school clubs and do 50 hours a year of volunteer work no matter what subject your going into.

Good morning, @BC_89!

I think with every career’s schooling, there will be student loans if you are unable to pay the tuition fully. Some people go to Ivy Leagues that are very expensive during their undergraduate, but they still pursue graduate schooling; loans on their backs and all. I applied to multiple seven-year BS/MD programs from high school, but if I truly wanted to be an MD (salary, work, schooling including) and go to medical school, wouldn’t I have chosen that instead of a 2+4? Yes, but I didn’t. Why? Because pharmacy is what I want to do. :)

Heh, I’ve never mentioned my worry about salary/pay in pharmacy nor did I say it would pay for all my life’s dreams and aspirations. Simply the fact that it is apart of my future career-goals, which I’d like to accomplish as soon as possible, by any means necessary. Everyone has a reason for going into a specific field, but nonetheless the reason, they still go for it! I’m hard-working, young, and have a vision for what I want to do with my degree. And being a pharmacist is one of them.

I believe it is one’s self-determination and how they go about getting what they want that determines how their life will turn out, not statistics.

Thank you very much for the advice love!

My statement was focused on student loans coupled with saturation (MD/DO is not saturated). Just be sure you “work” (not just shadow) to confirm your passion. 225k in debt and no job is very risky...something you don’t worry about in other jobs unless you don’t do your homework.

Kill the PCAT and apply in-state and maintain GPA you’ll get accepted somewhere.

My statement was focused on student loans coupled with saturation (MD/DO is not saturated). Just be sure you “work” (not just shadow) to confirm your passion. 225k in debt and no job is very risky...something you don’t worry about in other jobs unless you don’t do your homework.

Kill the PCAT and apply in-state and maintain GPA you’ll get accepted somewhere.
There is risk in all careers. Imagine graduating in 2009 with a mechanical engineering degree the year after all of the aerospace companies and the big 3 had massive layoffs and brought in virtually none of their interns.

I will kill the PCAT, in fact - slaughter it! :boom:Thank you so, so much! I didn't mean to come across as rude in my earlier post, btw.

There is risk in all careers. Imagine graduating in 2009 with a mechanical engineering degree the year after all of the aerospace companies and the big 3 had massive layoffs and brought in virtually none of their interns.

Gee... That's... Just terrible. :( What are you doing now?

My mid twenties kind of sucked compare
Gee... That's... Just terrible. :( What are you doing now?
My mid twenties kind of sucked compared to how they would have been if I graduated at a different time. I have a job good enough to be a pickup line now. I decided to take a crap job in the middle of no where so I could put money into the down stock market instead of funding a masters on my own dime. Normally the smart thing to do is just do a masters and wait for the job market to recover. A lot of the fortune 500 companies will offer a two year rotational program and then let you pick a subject and pay for a masters. Others will let you do a rotation while co-oping and then will pay for it once your working in a specialty. I kind of messed out on having that funded in my mid twenties. I graduated with good grades from a great school. The companies I co-oped with were just struggling at the time.

Imagine graduating NOW with 225k in a saturated healthcare market like this one.

There’s risk, then there’s intolerable risk. I’ve read and responded in your past posts. You cannot acknowledge being good with numbers thinking of pharmacy as a profitable gain. Go get passive income with small rental property and be a teacher with high stock investments and you’ll be better off than throwing your chances in “current” pharmacy field.

If it’s passion with a contingency plan, money don’t matter and I’ll respect your choice. Your intentions are different though and with my segmented warning I say may the intolerable odds be in your favor.

To the OP yes. Passion over statistics. I’m not giving you statistical chances I’m giving you facts. Facts don’t care about feelings and neither does the economy. If you acknowledge it’ll take patience and living below means then go for it..we need good pharmacist not pharmacy mill students.

Last edited: