This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ChicPharmDee

Reaction score
Hey, everyone!

So I start my first year of Pharmacy school next semester, but I am not certified at as a Pharm Tech. Honestly, it's super hard getting pharmacy jobs without the license, and I have yet to take the Pharmacy Technician Certification Examination.

I wanted to know how easy (or difficult) it is to study and to complete the exam. Is it like studying for the PCAT but with less pressure? What study materials did you guys use if you have taken the exam and how did you score?

Answers and insight would be appreciated!

Members don't see this ad.

As a pharmacy student, you’re not a tech anymore. You’re an intern. You need to apply for the intern license.

To late (at least, a waste of $) at this point. Depending on the state, you’ll be mandated to apply for an intern licensure. If you had an existing tech license, it’d be revoked.

Some states make you wait a year in pharm school, but a majority require you to register couple months before school starts.

I pass it after studying on and off for 3 weeks with zero pharmaceutical knowledge. As my boy once said "it's so easy, a caveman can do it" But yeah, you don't need that exam at this point if you're about to start pharm school soon. Good luck with everything !!!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Soooo... I'm re-commenting to bring this thread back to life to see if anyone can help give more suggestions and studying tips.

More responses would be greatly appreciated!

Soooo... I'm re-commenting to bring this thread back to life to see if anyone can help give more suggestions and studying tips.

More responses would be greatly appreciated!

Well, if your starting school in less than 3 months, why are you taking the PTCE ?? You should be getting fingerprints and background checks done by the state board of pharmacy and have your intern license sent to your school....Is your program one of the rare ones that don't give an intern license until P2 year?

Well, if your starting school in less than 3 months, why are you taking the PTCE ?? You should be getting fingerprints and background checks done by the state board of pharmacy and have your intern license sent to your school....Is your program one of the rare ones that don't give an intern license until P2 year?

I heard that it was good to be an intern before the year starts... But being that the people on this thread said it was too late and that it was best to look towards getting licensed, I'm not sure how that specific process goes with my school. I'll do more research on it. Aside from that, I already did my background checks.

I heard that it was good to be an intern before the year starts... But being that the people on this thread said it was too late and that it was best to look towards getting licensed, I'm not sure how that specific process goes with my school. I'll do more research on it. Aside from that, I already did my background checks.

For clarification (excluding outlier programs):

Once you are an established pharmacy student, any "technician" certification you have from the state or PTCB must be revoked. Many programs put out a list of requirements stating that you will get fingerprinted and do an additional background check for the State Board of Pharmacy of the region you will be attending school. The general rule is you cannot apply for an intern license beyond 3 months of matriculating into the program. Some programs wait until the first day of school to get you registered while others (few programs) wait until you have completed your first year of pharmacy school.

I would communicate with your school as to what the criteria is. Hence, it is a waste of time and money to take the PTCE only to have it revoked when you apply as an intern. Plus, as part of your graduation requirements, each state in the country requires so many hours of "Internship" in order to work in the state as a new graduate. For example, if you graduate from New York but want to reciprocate your license to California, one of the things to look out for is how many hours California requires of "interning" (mostly completed by your IPPE / APPE rotation sites) vs New York.

For clarification (excluding outlier programs):

Once you are an established pharmacy student, any "technician" certification you have from the state or PTCB must be revoked. Many programs put out a list of requirements stating that you will get fingerprinted and do an additional background check for the State Board of Pharmacy of the region you will be attending school. The general rule is you cannot apply for an intern license beyond 3 months of attending school. Some programs wait until the first day of school to get you registered while others (few programs) wait until you have completed your first year of pharmacy school.

I would communicate with your school as to what the criteria is. Hence, it is a waste of time and money to take the PTCE only to have it revoked when you apply as an intern. Plus, as part of your graduation requirements, each state in the country requires so many hours of "Internship" in order to work in the state as a new graduate. For example, if you graduate from New York but want to reciprocate your license to California, one of the things to look out for is how many hours California requires of "interning" (mostly completed by your IPPE / APPE rotation sites) vs New York.

Makes better sense! Thank you so much for the clarification! I will be in touch with my school.