Physicians strike

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

neutro

15+ Year Member
Reaction score

Physician union? Is this a thing? Apparently so.

Will this be a trend?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
We should.

Would be pretty easy for us to stop all non emergency cases for a month or two.

I'd sign up

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
That’s funny because it’s a county hospital where many of the anesthesiologists make 700-800k+.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
That’s funny because it’s a county hospital where many of the anesthesiologists make 700-800k+.
One of my closest friend works there. Appearently the strike is off, and everyone’s salary is sent out in an email. Trust me those guys are not making anywhere near 700-800. Base is around 3-400.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
One of my closest friend works there. Appearently the strike is off, and everyone’s salary is sent out in an email. Trust me those guys are not making anywhere near 700-800. Base is around 3-400.

Base is under 400k but many make 200-300k+ in “other pay” per Transparent California. The bulk of the “benefits” are probably a county pension.

Here’s one entry for a staff anesthesiologist. Fire captains also make $500k+ in the county.

0A26244D-AAC9-471A-9377-0E11EC59E96D.png

Last edited:
  • Love
In California that's worth about 100,000$

Yeah it’s about 100k in Youngstown, Ohio dollars.

However, one of my friends has a son who got a good job in Austin, TX. He was going to buy a condo for him until he saw that they are going for $1000/Sf. Then he changed his mind. So it’s not just California.

Last edited:
  • Wow

It sounds like primary care doctors are striking, right? Are primary care guys making 400 base?

I hope they do strike because those guys get treated like crap when they are employed by these big systems.

Base is under 400k but many make 200-300k+ in “other pay” per Transparent California. The bulk of the “benefits” are probably a county pension.

Here’s one entry for a staff anesthesiologist. Fire captains also make $500k+ in the county.

View attachment 361499

Anyone hired after 2013 has a pension / retirement situation worse than any other competing health system. Look for a younger person in their group.

Reactions: 1 user
Anyone hired after 2013 has a pension / retirement situation worse than any other competing health system. Look for a younger person in their group.

Looks like you’re right about the pension. $800k is on the high end but a handful of people are there. Many of the mid career people are at or above $700k. This is a recent addition who completed training in 2018. It’s still significantly better than $300-400k. $300-400k is what their CRNAs make.

936488FD-9821-443C-BCDB-82AEC509B3CA.png
ED50E743-847E-4F34-BA3C-3D729601FA4A.png

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Millions years ago when I worked in a grocery store just after a strike happened I picked up many of these union terms. I personally think a union a la Teamsters is a parasitic drag and would be disappointed to see it in medicine.

Tools = people who act like tools
Scab = person that will go work somewhere that the employees are striking
There were plenty of under employed young docs in the 90s who were happy to work for hospitals or AMCs that replaced succesful private practice groups. Many referred to them as "scabs". From where they sat, they were just doing what was best for themselves and their families. They were happy to stick it to what they considered to be older, exploitive fat cat docs. They were young Boomers sticking it to the previous generation and the oldest Boomers. Does this sound familiar? Were they scabs too?

There were plenty of under employed young docs in the 90s who were happy to work for hospitals or AMCs that replaced succesful private practice groups. Many referred to them as "scabs". From where they sat, they were just doing what was best for themselves and their families. They were happy to stick it to what they considered to be older, exploitive fat cat docs. They were young Boomers sticking it to the previous generation and the oldest Boomers. Does this sound familiar? Were they scabs too?
I wasn't passing judgement, only trying to define the terms...

There is hospital my buddy made $825k essentially a county hospital that does trauma in Southern California (I’m purposely being vague) cause I don’t want to cite the name. Tons of subsidies for calls etc.

Never believe. The base. Base assumes 10k units. Than call subsidies etc adds up.

Yeah it’s about 100k in Youngstown, Ohio dollars.

However, one of my friends has a son who got a good job in Austin, TX. He was going to buy a condo for him until he saw that they are going for $1000/Sf. Then he changed his mind. So it’s not just California.
Austin is the new California

• Sad
Reactions: 4 users
Austin is the new California
I mean, it's gotten seriously out of control. It was always the most expensive city in Texas, but this is insane. It's too damn hot to be paying them high ass prices and associated ridiculous real estate taxes. Nor Sir, No Ma'am. I will gladly swap with California on this one. At least the weather is nice. At this point, they just need to stay in California as the prices are the same. Unless their mission is to turn Austin red.

I mean, it's gotten seriously out of control. It was always the most expensive city in Texas, but this is insane. It's too damn hot to be paying them high ass prices and associated ridiculous real estate taxes. Nor Sir, No Ma'am. I will gladly swap with California on this one. At least the weather is nice. At this point, they just need to stay in California as the prices are the same. Unless their mission is to turn Austin red.
I think there is no state income tax in Texas

People can live where they want
What's your point? Did I say they couldn't? I didn't know I had that kind of power to make people live where I wanted them to. I was just pointing out that it's gotten atrocious because the Californians who are moving here were doing it to save money and now it's gotten ridiculous and the savings aren't there.
Thanks for giving me so much power though. You bored? Want to start something?

Did you mean blue? I thought Austin was already a blue island.

And how high are real estate taxes in Texas? Curious to know.

Did you mean blue? I thought Austin was already a blue island.

And how high are real estate taxes in Texas? Curious to know.
The real estate taxes are some of the highest in America at almost 2% in some places. To make up for no state taxes.
And no, I meant the Conservative Californians who come to Texas due to the state overall being red but the cities mostly being blue. They want to turn some cities back to red. Many end up in Dallas mostly because it’s the one that has huge pockets of Red Voters. But you never know.

The real estate taxes are some of the highest in America at almost 2% in some places. To make up for no state taxes.
And no, I meant the Conservative Californians who come to Texas due to the state overall being red but the cities mostly being blue. They want to turn some cities back to red. Many end up in Dallas mostly because it’s the one that has huge pockets of Red Voters. But you never know.

Thanks for the explanation. There are some people who leave California because they are sick of the liberal politics. But I doubt they end up in Austin. Wherever they go, I wish them well. We should all find the life we want.

And 2% doesn’t seem too bad given no state income tax.

Thanks for the explanation. There are some people who leave California because they are sick of the liberal politics. But I doubt they end up in Austin. Wherever they go, I wish them well. We should all find the life we want.

Yeah, I know. It was sarcasm for the Austin Red part.
For me, I have no kids and therefore choose to live in a cheap house because I don’t need to pay for other peoples kids school. Wish they had an exception for non parents to be except from high taxes and pay cheaper fees to fund schools.
Anyway, I digress. High state taxes seems bad too but I am no expert of how state taxes work really.

It isn’t terrible but it is annoying when that 2% is based on a subjective “valuation” that rises every year typically beyond what the home is actually worth and you don’t have very much power to protest it.

It isn’t terrible but it is annoying when that 2% is based on a subjective “valuation” that rises every year typically beyond what the home is actually worth and you don’t have very much power to protest it.
I mean you can always have it formally appraised if the taxes are so high--that will pay for itself if the valuation is off and will usually checkmate the local tax authority.

The problem there is that you have to keep paying that 2% tax until you're dead, whereas you only pay state income tax as long as you are working.

The dirty little secret of "no income tax" states is that well-off retirees get hosed ...

Reactions: 4 users
For me, I have no kids and therefore choose to live in a cheap house because I don’t need to pay for other peoples kids school. Wish they had an exception for non parents to be except from high taxes and pay cheaper fees to fund schools.
The price of civilization is paying taxes for the things that keep us civilized. Even if you don't have kids, you benefit from well-educated populace. Even if you don't drive, you benefit from roads that bring groceries to your neighborhood and ambulances to your house. Even if you are healthy, you benefit from public health programs.

Reactions: 8 users
The price of civilization is paying taxes for the things that keep us civilized. Even if you don't have kids, you benefit from well-educated populace. Even if you don't drive, you benefit from roads that bring groceries to your neighborhood and ambulances to your house. Even if you are healthy, you benefit from public health programs.
I have no desire to pay for only a certain segment of kids to get a good education while another segment of poorer kids gets crappy education. Simple as that. I know how society and taxes. As long as we are gonna do the BS "good school district" classist crap in America where the haves and the have nots don't get equal access to education, I have no desire to propel a sect of society while leaving another behind. Make schools equal and I have no problem paying. Hence I choose to live in a regular non fancy neighborhood.
Simple as that.

Yeah, I know. It was sarcasm for the Austin Red part.
Anyway, I digress. High state taxes seems bad too but I am no expert of how state taxes work really.

I get a breakdown every year of where every dollar and cent of my property taxes went. A lot goes towards the school district, but it’s certainly not the only thing. Having “good schools” is probably one of the biggest determinants of property values, so you can think of your property tax as an investment.

I get a breakdown every year of where every dollar and cent of my property taxes went. A lot goes towards the school district, but it’s certainly not the only thing. Having “good schools” is probably one of the biggest determinants of property values, so you can think of your property tax as an investment.
Yeah, not for me. Not interested in living in a "good school district" and continuing to support classism by paying for little rich kids to continue being on top while the little poor kids continue to struggle. No Thanks.

• Okay...
I have no desire to pay for only a certain segment of kids to get a good education while another segment of poorer kids gets crappy education. Simple as that. I know how society and taxes. As long as we are gonna do the BS "good school district" classist crap in America where the haves and the have nots don't get equal access to education, I have no desire to propel a sect of society while leaving another behind. Make schools equal and I have no problem paying. Hence I choose to live in a regular non fancy neighborhood.
Simple as that.

Yeah, that's not REMOTELY what you said though -

You started off saying you didn't want to pay for "other peoples kids school" because you have no kids, and made the explicit and specific argument that it would be better if non-parents didn't have to pay for schools.

I pointed out how wrongheaded and shortsighted that view is, and how harmful it is to everyone. Only then did you pretend what you really meant was something-something social class / racism / classism, and that your reluctance to pay taxes to fund schools is actshully some kind of principled moral stand.

You have this odd habit of making everything about race. It doesn't have to be.

Reactions: 6 users
Now that doesn't sound very libertarian of you ;)

• Haha
Yeah, that's not REMOTELY what you said though -

You started off saying you didn't want to pay for "other peoples kids school" because you have no kids, and made the explicit and specific argument that it would be better if non-parents didn't have to pay for schools.

I pointed out how wrongheaded and shortsighted that view is, and how harmful it is to everyone. Only then did you pretend what you really meant was something-something social class / racism / classism, and that your reluctance to pay taxes to fund schools is actshully some kind of principled moral stand.

You have this odd habit of making everything about race. It doesn't have to be.
Whatever dude. Read the last line. It is what I said. Cheaper taxes. And I do that by choosing to live in a cheaper house in a cheaper neighborhood hence, school zone. Not some fancier house that’s gonna pay for some rich kids schools and leave the poor kids behind. What I meant was in the fancy neighborhoods with the “good school districts”. Again, I choose not to live there. I am not here to prove anything to you but I have repeatedly stated in the past, in multiple posts that we need a flat tax for education and all schools to be equal so that poor kids don’t get left behind.

And I wasn’t talking about race on that one, I was talking about class. And of course you twist it around and say I talk about race in everything. It’s also not lost on me how classism and racism are very intertwined. Whatever the case, It’s easy for someone who doesn’t have to deal with racism or been affected by race issues to talk about “not everything has to be about race” when you are likely clueless. We don’t live in a colorblind society and that’s just reality.
I am not here to pander to your comfort. I am here to speak what’s on my mind and the reality of racism and sexism in the US no matter how uncomfortable it makes you feel in your little bubble. You are educated but some of y’all educated ones are the worst. You think you “earned” everything in life and that a POC who isn’t at your level didn’t work hard enough. Didn’t pull themselves up by their bot strings. Do better.

Soo… whatever. Argue all day.

Last edited:
Except for seniors who can sometimes be exempt yes. But they are quite expensive in Texas which is like number 5 or so in the US with regards to expensive housing taxes.
This show Texas is number 45 highest. Is this correct or no?

This show Texas is number 45 highest. Is this correct or no?
Look at the percentages. It’s almost exactly what I said. Number six.

Look at the percentages. It’s almost exactly what I said. Number six.
I was looking at it upside down. The percentages aren't that different tho. The majority are between 0.5 to 1.5 percentage. Not that different. People number 46 to 50 have high state taxes and high property taxes

Now that doesn't sound very libertarian of you ;)
My wing of the libertarian party is the one that is fairly extreme on anything that could be perceived as personal freedom (pro drug legalization, pro-2A, pro abortion, pro gay marriage, golden rule do whatcha want, etc) with minimal government except for services that can't be done otherwise (defense, infrastructure, public health but not necessarily all healthcare, law enforcement, public education, environmental air/water protection, food/drug chain safety, etc). I'm anti DEA, anti ATF.

Kind of like Democrat-light, plus guns, minus the nanny state.

The Ayn Randians who envy Somalia style governmentless anarchy, or who think that "free market" robber barons will provide functional fire departments are not my flavor of libertarian.

Reactions: 6 users
Whatever dude. Read the last line. It is what I said. Cheaper taxes. And I do that by choosing to live in a cheaper house in a cheaper neighborhood hence, school zone. Not some fancier house that’s gonna pay for some rich kids schools and leave the poor kids behind. What I meant was in the fancy neighborhoods with the “good school districts”. Again, I choose not to live there. I am not here to prove anything to you but I have repeatedly stated in the past, in multiple posts that we need a flat tax for education and all schools to be equal so that poor kids don’t get left behind.

And I wasn’t talking about race on that one, I was talking about class. And of course you twist it around and say I talk about race in everything. It’s also not lost on me how classism and racism are very intertwined. Whatever the case, It’s easy for someone who doesn’t have to deal with racism or been affected by race issues to talk about “not everything has to be about race” when you are likely clueless. We don’t live in a colorblind society and that’s just reality.
I am not here to pander to your comfort. I am here to speak what’s on my mind and the reality of racism and sexism in the US no matter how uncomfortable it makes you feel in your little bubble. You are educated but some of y’all educated ones are the worst. You think you “earned” everything in life and that a POC who isn’t at your level didn’t work hard enough. Didn’t pull themselves up by their bot strings. Do better.

Soo… whatever. Argue all day.

I DO NOT think all the schools should be equal. There are schools that NEED more (however you know that). My kids' school gets a lot of extra money per student compared to other elementary schools in our state because the school population is of a very low socio-economic status. Many broken homes, single parent homes (working 2 jobs and no time to help with school work), refugees, ESL kids, etc.

Their student:teacher ratio is 11:1 as opposed to the state average of 15:1. There's free lunch for all the kids, and many kids get sent home with food (extra on weekends) because that may be the only meal they get to eat. We have unbelievably devoted and passionate staff who work there because they love the kids. Despite all this extra help, the average test scores are all way below the state averages. I can't imagine how much worse this would be if their school didn't have all this extra funding.

So, I hear you on "funding rich kids' schooling" with your property taxes. However, our school is in the same district as the the "rich kids" so all the property taxes get pooled for all the schools and distributed. Our school benefits from being in the same district as more well-off schools. Something to consider.