This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ahhhsomanyquestions

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
I graduated from undergrad in May and have been taking time to work before applying to schools. I intend to apply June 2020, but I have some questions about the physics prereq that I didn’t quite finish in undergrad.

I used AP credits in undergrad to cover my physics 1 and physics 1 lab requirements, but I never got to taking physics 2 as I had been pre-PA and that wasn’t a requirement. I know that most of the admissions websites say that I can use my AP credits for physics 1/lab as long as I take physics 2/lab after that, but since I graduated I am no longer able to take physics at the university I graduated from (they only accept degree seeking students in physics). I have the option of taking physics 2/lab at the local state college, but I’m wondering if since it’s not the same institution I graduated from I should also retake physics 1/lab as well.

Members don't see this ad.

Some schools can rotate topics slightly. To be on the safe side, I would recommend taking the whole sequence (both courses) at the same school especially given that your first course was in high school (not to mention a long time ago).

I graduated from undergrad in May and have been taking time to work before applying to schools. I intend to apply June 2020, but I have some questions about the physics prereq that I didn’t quite finish in undergrad.

I used AP credits in undergrad to cover my physics 1 and physics 1 lab requirements, but I never got to taking physics 2 as I had been pre-PA and that wasn’t a requirement. I know that most of the admissions websites say that I can use my AP credits for physics 1/lab as long as I take physics 2/lab after that, but since I graduated I am no longer able to take physics at the university I graduated from (they only accept degree seeking students in physics). I have the option of taking physics 2/lab at the local state college, but I’m wondering if since it’s not the same institution I graduated from I should also retake physics 1/lab as well.

I recommend taking both physics 1 and 2 again. First, it will be a refresher for you and you will learn the material better. Second, the topics we cover in physics 1 and 2 vary from school to school. For example, I teach fluids in physics 1, but 90 miles away at the big state U, they teach fluids in physics 2.

I wish you luck in getting enrolled for a class at your local 4-year college/university. Anecdotal experience suggests that classes like physics 1 and 2 tend to be "impacted" meaning that they have more students that want to take them as compared to the number of seats available. Have you considered an online course or the local community college?

Members don't see this ad :)
I recommend taking both physics 1 and 2 again. First, it will be a refresher for you and you will learn the material better. Second, the topics we cover in physics 1 and 2 vary from school to school. For example, I teach fluids in physics 1, but 90 miles away at the big state U, they teach fluids in physics 2.

I wish you luck in getting enrolled for a class at your local 4-year college/university. Anecdotal experience suggests that classes like physics 1 and 2 tend to be "impacted" meaning that they have more students that want to take them as compared to the number of seats available. Have you considered an online course or the local community college?

Online is going to be a problem for medical schools. Some schools also discourage or refuse to accept community college credits, but many schools that previously didn't accept community college credits have begun to loosen regulations some.

Online is going to be a problem for medical schools. Some schools also discourage or refuse to accept community college credits, but many schools that previously didn't accept community college credits have begun to loosen regulations some.

I (and lots of others) are working to get online courses accepted the sames as with on-ground courses. It is definitely a slow process, but we are making progress.

It is not so easy. There are issues with financial aid (aka Title 4) as well as transcripts required.

Not sure about Title 4, but I've done it at both a 4 year University and community college. Transcripts are easy to send, usually all online and takes all of 10 minutes.

Not sure about Title 4, but I've done it at both a 4 year University and community college. Transcripts are easy to send, usually all online and takes all of 10 minutes.

Title 4 financial aid will not pay for more than 105% of courses required for a degree. In the last 10 years, the federal government really tightened up on these things.

Title 4 financial aid will not pay for more than 105% of courses required for a degree. In the last 10 years, the federal government really tightened up on these things.

Is that per degree? I graduated with 150 credit hours in 2017(double majored). I had no problem registering as a degree seeking student and getting full federal financial aid. No Pell Grant, just loans of course.

Reactions: 1 user
Is that per degree? I graduated with 150 credit hours in 2017(double majored). I had no problem registering as a degree seeking student and getting full federal financial aid. No Pell Grant, just loans of course.

Yes, it should be per degree.

It likely also depends on whether the student is making satisfactory academic progress or not. I started a four year university with 32 credit hours of worthless dual enrollment community college credits from when I was in high school that were not at all relevant to my science majors (for the most part). Although my grades were fine, the financial aid department flagged my application as you suggest. There is an appeals process and a way for the university to override if you are making satisfactory academic process and have a viable plan for completing the degree in a timely manner. I easily won my appeal and received Stafford loans to finish my education.

It likely also depends on whether the student is making satisfactory academic progress or not. I started a four year university with 32 credit hours of worthless dual enrollment community college credits from when I was in high school that were not at all relevant to my science majors (for the most part). Although my grades were fine, the financial aid department flagged my application as you suggest. There is an appeals process and a way for the university to override if you are making satisfactory academic process and have a viable plan for completing the degree in a timely manner. I easily won my appeal and received Stafford loans to finish my education.

Good! According to a handout I have in my office, satisfactory academic progress means completing 67% of classes attempted.

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do because the 4 year university I attended will not allow degree-seeking students to take physics 1 or 2. I am also trying to apply in June 2020, so I'm trying to decide which class to take first if I decide to take both since I will realistically only be able to take one semester before I need to take my MCAT.

That's what I'm trying to figure out how to do because the 4 year university I attended will not allow degree-seeking students to take physics 1 or 2. I am also trying to apply in June 2020, so I'm trying to decide which class to take first if I decide to take both since I will realistically only be able to take one semester before I need to take my MCAT.

I would recommend taking physics 1 before physics 2 due to the higher yield of topics on the MCAT as well as the fact that a school may require you to take physics 1 before physics 2 as physics 1 is a pre-requisite to physics 2.

If all you're missing is physics 2 you can probably just take that and no real need to take both 1 and 2. Would be nice to take it at a 4 year but I dont think its gonna make or break anything. Physics on the MCAT is alot more trivial than what you would go through in a class and probably one of the more self studiable parts of the test.