Physiology and Genetics Courses

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bombai

Class of 2021 :)
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a non-traditional pre-veterinary student (I already have an M.A. and a B.A.). I'm taking all the prerequisites I can at the junior college level. I already have taken Biochemistry (2 semesters) at the university level. I am having difficulty finding Genetics and Physiology courses that seem reasonable.

Has anyone taken the UCB X109 Physiology course with James Smiley? It meets once a week. I am a hard-working student, but have heard horrible things about UCB extensions. I have looked at the rate my professor reviews, but most of them seem to be for other courses. I don't want to take a course where it is impossible to get an A, as I have heard about many UCB Extension courses.

I am a hard worker, but I do not want to be set up for an impossible task by a teacher who does not respond to student emails or for an online course where the teacher does not lecture and tells you to simply read the book and take the exams.

Has anyone found a Physiology and/or Genetics course online or in the Bay Area that is reasonable and where getting an A is not difficult? I have read previous threads, many of which have had great suggestions, but where the course is no longer offered, so I am hoping someone out there has so more recent experience. If there is a particular teacher that you recommend for Physiology or Genetics, I would greatly appreciate it!

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

I had a really good experience taking physiology online at Colorado State last fall (BMS 300). I would not describe it as easy, but if you can figure out how to take multiple-choice exams, you'll have no problem getting an A. I believe there were also extra credit opportunities.

Thank you thelemonzest! Can you tell me which professor you had? It looks like the one teaching it now is Dr. John Walrond.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm a non-traditional pre-veterinary student (I already have an M.A. and a B.A.). I'm taking all the prerequisites I can at the junior college level. I already have taken Biochemistry (2 semesters) at the university level. I am having difficulty finding Genetics and Physiology courses that seem reasonable.

Has anyone taken the UCB X109 Physiology course with James Smiley? It meets once a week. I am a hard-working student, but have heard horrible things about UCB extensions. I have looked at the rate my professor reviews, but most of them seem to be for other courses. I don't want to take a course where it is impossible to get an A, as I have heard about many UCB Extension courses.

I am a hard worker, but I do not want to be set up for an impossible task by a teacher who does not respond to student emails or for an online course where the teacher does not lecture and tells you to simply read the book and take the exams.

Has anyone found a Physiology and/or Genetics course online or in the Bay Area that is reasonable and where getting an A is not difficult? I have read previous threads, many of which have had great suggestions, but where the course is no longer offered, so I am hoping someone out there has so more recent experience. If there is a particular teacher that you recommend for Physiology or Genetics, I would greatly appreciate it!

Any suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated!

Thank you!
Michigan State offers an online genetics course last I checked. Genetics is an upper level science course, so I wouldn't expect any school to have the class be "an easy A."

Thank you pinkpuppy9. I wasn't looking for an easy A, but a class where an A isn't a far reach for someone who puts in the effort. I've seen a lot of reviews where students say a C is the highest grade the professor would give, or that the class is not well-structured. Thank you, again!

Reactions: 1 user