Pikeville

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

the_fella

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
What's the general feeling regarding Pikeville? I've been looking at it, if I improve my MCAT score a bit. The pre-med advisor at my university recommended I concentrate on DO schools in Appalachia and the South as they tend to have lower MCAT and GPA requirements. I was looking at OU (because it's public and in my state) but he said they have higher requirements than some MD schools.

Members don't see this ad.

What are your stats at this point? And what fields of medicine are you interested in?

Reactions: 1 user
What's the general feeling regarding Pikeville? I've been looking at it, if I improve my MCAT score a bit. The pre-med advisor at my university recommended I concentrate on DO schools in Appalachia and the South as they tend to have lower MCAT and GPA requirements. I was looking at OU (because it's public and in my state) but he said they have higher requirements than some MD schools.

OU as in Ohio University Heritage COM? That's a great school and as an in state applicant you will have a strong shot at getting in there even with a somewhat lower MCAT (due to being IS). They have very strong research opps and their CORE hospital system with the likes of OhioHealth, Cleveland Clinic, Western Reserve Hospital, and St. John is by far if not the best clinical experience I have seen throughout the DO programs.

Also one of my closest colleagues that I met in lab is currently an OMS-III there doing great things for the new Dublin Campus.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I'm interested in family medicine. Idk what my science GPA is b/c every source I use calculates it differently, for some reason. I got a 21 on the MCAT, but will be retaking it in 2015.

Yes, Heritage. The pre-med advisor at my school pretty much said I don't have much of a shot at Heritage, though. But I intend to apply anyway. May as well, right?

Yes, Heritage. The pre-med advisor at my school pretty much said I don't have much of a shot at Heritage, though. But I intend to apply anyway. May as well, right?

With a 21 MCAT, it may be extremely hard as there average MCAT was a 27-28. Applying to medical school is better as a one time thing. I would hold off on applying and retake the MCAT so that you do not limit yourself with a 21. Best of luck OP.

Yea, that's what I'm doing. I plan to retake the MCAT in 2015, which has me scared to death. Haha.