This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PiggyPug6

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey everyone, I know this is last minute and I'm typing this on my phone (so it won't be some sprawling post), but I'm still stuck between these two schools. Any input would be greatly appreciated guys!

Pitt:
Pros:
- fantastic school with a great hospital system (in case I decide to change my mind)
-I went here for undergrad and have lived here the last six years so my support system is in Pittsburgh
-Must do research, but the school funds a lot of your ventures in the summer (great federal funding)
-I know what to expect in terms of the city and school
-they only give you one core science class at a time per their curriculum
-students I spoke to seemed so sure in their choice. They were confident in this schools ability to help them succeed and happy.

Cons:
-cost is about $15,000 more a year than Cincinnati (being in-state doesn't do much)
-not super fond of Most types of research, but I guess that just means I stick with clinical research
-am wondering if it's time for a new city (though a majority of Pitt's students are oos)

Cinci:
Pros:
-tuition costs less in the long run
-has a great peds program and a wonderful children's hospital (leaning towards peds)
-dr. Davis is my idol (though she did attend Pitt med)
-new city
-beautiful campus with new facilities
-students seemed genuinely happy and Cincinnati seems to really put a lot into caring for their students

Cons:
-leaving my support system
-new city, but it's essentially the Pittsburgh of Ohio (please don't yell at me for that haha)
-stagger science courses (which is normal) but then they have tests every Monday

Both cities are affordable and I felt like I meshed more with the potential Pitt students but I may just be biased. I keep flip-flopping and I'm so lost. If anyone has a new perspective on either school, I would love to hear it!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Thank you both for responding!
I'm thinking I want to do pediatric cardiology. I know that is subject to change as many people go in thinking they want to do one thing, only to discover that's not the case. But that's where I'm at now. I know it'll be peds and that I want to specialize further.

I don't have my financial aid from either. Long story short, originally from a single parent household, dad is terrible, but schools want his financial info and I've been fighting to get it for months now. So we are assuming full price for both paid off with loans. Cinci would be about $47,000 my first year and then go down to $30,000. Pitt would be about $45,000 per year. Cost of living is equal for both essentially, so the tuition would be where the biggest difference is.
So I guess, $230k versus 280k

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I think Pitt will open up more doors, you are more established there, i dont know what " only like clinical research" means so i wont comment on it. You could always go to another city for residency which Pitt might make it easier to get a more competitive residency.

Reactions: 1 user
I think Pitt will open up more doors, you are more established there, i dont know what " only like clinical research" means so i wont comment on it. You could always go to another city for residency which Pitt might make it easier to get a more competitive residency.

Thank you for your response. This is certainly true.
I guess what I mean by that is that I found during undergrad there were a lot of wet lab opportunities, but I certainly prefer clinical research which was a little harder to come by. I just don't want to get stuck doing something I don't like (especially something that would be such a large part of my time there) solely to meet a requirement.

Thank you for your response. This is certainly true.
I guess what I mean by that is that I found during undergrad there were a lot of wet lab opportunities, but I certainly prefer clinical research which was a little harder to come by. I just don't want to get stuck doing something I don't like (especially something that would be such a large part of my time there) solely to meet a requirement.
Opportunity set changes darastically as a medical student. People are more willing to let you in on projects etc. I am confident you won't have issue finding clinical research work.

Reactions: 1 user