Planning for the end days

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AvoidMilitaryMedicine

Reaction score
Senior SDN docs,

In 6 months, I'll be within the 1 year window to submit my unqualified resignation (AD Army, 12 yrs TIS [includes residency]).

Based on my preliminary research, there seems to be a whole bunch of pitfalls (lost paperwork, begging people for signatures, etc.) associated with this process.

Have any of you guys (and gals) recently submitted your UQR and can share what your experience was like? Or have any templates of paperwork, i.e. resignation letters that you can share (I want to dummy proof this process as much as possible)?

On a somewhat related note, has anyone ever hard of someone buying back some (or all) of their ADSO for medical school? I've heard of people getting kicked and being forced to payback for school but not so much the other way around.

The R-profis storm is on the horizon. I hope you all make it through!

Members don't see this ad.

Senior SDN docs,

In 6 months, I'll be within the 1 year window to submit my unqualified resignation (AD Army, 12 yrs TIS [includes residency]).

Based on my preliminary research, there seems to be a whole bunch of pitfalls (lost paperwork, begging people for signatures, etc.) associated with this process.

Have any of you guys (and gals) recently submitted your UQR and can share what your experience was like? Or have any templates of paperwork, i.e. resignation letters that you can share (I want to dummy proof this process as much as possible)?

On a somewhat related note, has anyone ever hard of someone buying back some (or all) of their ADSO for medical school? I've heard of people getting kicked and being forced to payback for school but not so much the other way around.

AR135-175 has examples of the resignation letter. It is accessible via the armypubs.army.mil website. Use the drop down menus - Publications > Administrative > AR-Army Regulation. Some other good documents can be found in the DA PAM menu path.

@HooahDOc is going through it now with a recent thread.

Members don't see this ad :)
SAMPLE FORMAT REQUEST FOR UNQUALIFIED RESIGNATION

(LETTERHEAD)

Office Symbol (DATE)

MEMORANDUM THRU (CO Cdr, BN Cdr, BDE Cdr)

Garrison Director of Human Resources, United States Army Garrison-Hawaii, (IMHW-HRM), Schofield Barracks, HI 96857-5000

FOR Commander, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue,

(HRC-OPL-R), Ft. Knox, KY 40122

SUBJECT: Request for Unqualified Resignation for (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, MI, RANK, BRNACH, SSN)

1. I, (First Name, MI Last Name, SSN, Rank, Branch), tender my unqualified resignation from active duty under the provisions of AR 600-8-24, Chapter 3, section II, to be effective (your requested separation date,) or as soon as practicable thereafter.

2. I am not under a suspension of favorable personnel action, under investigation, pending charges, or being considered for elimination.

3. I (have/have not) fulfilled my active duty service obligation as specified in AR 350-100.

4. I desire to tender my resignation for (your reasons).

5. I understand that my release from active duty is accepted, that my character of service will be characterized as Honorable or under Honorable Conditions as determined by Headquarters, Department of the Army.

6. My present duty station is (Your Company, Your Battalion, Your Brigade, Schofield Barracks or Fort Shafter, State, Zip).

7. I (do/do not) desire separation overseas. (*Applicable only if currently serving in an overseas area)

8. I understand that if I have not completed my statutory 8-year Military Service Obligation (MSO), I am required to accept appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve and that I will be transferred to the IRR to complete that obligation. Further, I understand that if I am required to accept appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve to complete my MSO or am requesting appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve, that my REFRAD pursuant to my unqualified resignation for the Regular Army shall constitute my acceptance of the Reserve appointment. If I am required to accept or have requested appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve and do not desire this appointment, I must request withdrawal of my resignation before my REFARD IAW AR 600-8-24 and remain on active duty.

Office Symbol)

SUBJECT: Request for Unqualified Resignation for (LAST NAME, FIRST NAME, MI, RANK, BRNACH, SSN)

9. (I desire to be appointed as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Reserve upon my REFRAD) or (I have fulfilled my MSO and do not desire appointment in the US. Army Reserve) (as applicable). As of the date of this application, I have (number of) days accrued leave. I (do/do not) plan to take (number of) days transition leave.

10. I understand that if I am requesting or required to accept a Reserve appointment and the appointment has not been approved by the appropriate authority within 10 days of my REFRAD date, the effective date of my release will be adjusted by Human Resources Command in 30-day increments until the appointment is approved. I also understand that if my REFRAD date needs to be adjusted, Human Resources Command will notify me of such change by memorandum and that I am responsible for coordinating my adjusted REFRAD date with my transition center.

11. I understand that if I participated in certain advanced education programs, (including, but not limited to Tuition Assistance, Degree Completion Program, and Cooperative Degree Program), I may be required to reimburse the United States Government as stated in written agreement made by me with the United States Government under law and regulations.

12. I understand that my resignation is voluntary and I am not entitled to separation pay.

13. My mailing address immediately after the date of separation will be (your address).

14. For further information, I may be contacted at (Work phone, cell phone, and work email)

NAME

RANK, BRANCH

CURRENT JOB TITLE

Reactions: 1 users
AR135-175 has examples of the resignation letter. It is accessible via the armypubs.army.mil website. Use the drop down menus - Publications > Administrative > AR-Army Regulation. Some other good documents can be found in the DA PAM menu path.

@HooahDOc is going through it now with a recent thread.

Thank you!

SAMPLE FORMAT REQUEST FOR UNQUALIFIED RESIGNATION

(LETTERHEAD)

Office Symbol (DATE)

MEMORANDUM THRU (CO Cdr, BN Cdr, BDE Cdr)

Garrison Director of Human Resources, United States Army Garrison-Hawaii, (IMHW-HRM), Schofield Barracks, HI 96857-5000

FOR Commander, U.S. Army Human Resources Command, 1600 Spearhead Division Avenue,

(HRC-OPL-R), Ft. Knox, KY 40122

1. I, (First Name, MI Last Name, SSN, Rank, Branch), tender my unqualified resignation from active duty under the provisions of AR 600-8-24, Chapter 3, section II, to be effective (your requested separation date,) or as soon as practicable thereafter.

2. I am not under a suspension of favorable personnel action, under investigation, pending charges, or being considered for elimination.

3. I (have/have not) fulfilled my active duty service obligation as specified in AR 350-100.

4. I desire to tender my resignation for (your reasons).

5. I understand that my release from active duty is accepted, that my character of service will be characterized as Honorable or under Honorable Conditions as determined by Headquarters, Department of the Army.

6. My present duty station is (Your Company, Your Battalion, Your Brigade, Schofield Barracks or Fort Shafter, State, Zip).

7. I (do/do not) desire separation overseas. (*Applicable only if currently serving in an overseas area)

8. I understand that if I have not completed my statutory 8-year Military Service Obligation (MSO), I am required to accept appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve and that I will be transferred to the IRR to complete that obligation. Further, I understand that if I am required to accept appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve to complete my MSO or am requesting appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve, that my REFRAD pursuant to my unqualified resignation for the Regular Army shall constitute my acceptance of the Reserve appointment. If I am required to accept or have requested appointment in the U.S. Army Reserve and do not desire this appointment, I must request withdrawal of my resignation before my REFARD IAW AR 600-8-24 and remain on active duty.

Office Symbol)

9. (I desire to be appointed as a commissioned officer in the U.S. Army Reserve upon my REFRAD) or (I have fulfilled my MSO and do not desire appointment in the US. Army Reserve) (as applicable). As of the date of this application, I have (number of) days accrued leave. I (do/do not) plan to take (number of) days transition leave.

10. I understand that if I am requesting or required to accept a Reserve appointment and the appointment has not been approved by the appropriate authority within 10 days of my REFRAD date, the effective date of my release will be adjusted by Human Resources Command in 30-day increments until the appointment is approved. I also understand that if my REFRAD date needs to be adjusted, Human Resources Command will notify me of such change by memorandum and that I am responsible for coordinating my adjusted REFRAD date with my transition center.

11. I understand that if I participated in certain advanced education programs, (including, but not limited to Tuition Assistance, Degree Completion Program, and Cooperative Degree Program), I may be required to reimburse the United States Government as stated in written agreement made by me with the United States Government under law and regulations.

12. I understand that my resignation is voluntary and I am not entitled to separation pay.

13. My mailing address immediately after the date of separation will be (your address).

14. For further information, I may be contacted at (Work phone, cell phone, and work email)

NAME

RANK, BRANCH

CURRENT JOB TITLE

Thank you!

Do you know what the circumstances were? Did he hit the lotto or get a huge inheritance or something??

The AF decided that they were overstrength for his specialty. I have no idea how they decided that, and, of course, deciding they were overstrength probably had very little to do with reality, but I digress. They asked for volunteers, and he was selected. He had to hand over a pretty hefty lump sum, so much that he probably had to get a loan or dip pretty deep into savings. His spouse was a civilian professional (lawyer, I believe), so maybe it was the latter. Even then, it was a smart financial decision, because the extra 2.5 years of civilian pay (he did a 1 year fellowship immediately upon separating) will end up netting him a couple hundred thousand dollars over what would have been his military pay.

Reactions: 1 user
The AF decided that they were overstrength for his specialty. I have no idea how they decided that, and, of course, deciding they were overstrength probably had very little to do with reality, but I digress. They asked for volunteers, and he was selected. He had to hand over a pretty hefty lump sum, so much that he probably had to get a loan or dip pretty deep into savings. His spouse was a civilian professional (lawyer, I believe), so maybe it was the latter. Even then, it was a smart financial decision, because the extra 2.5 years of civilian pay (he did a 1 year fellowship immediately upon separating) will end up netting him a couple hundred thousand dollars over what would have been his military pay.

Ah so it was first proposed by the Air Force... hmm, what do you think about me making the Army an offer it can't refuse? Would 500k be enough? Just throwing random numbers out there, lol

Senior SDN docs,

Looks like you got some good templates from our colleagues, but I would advise you to get the paperwork from your S1 directly. This will save you a lot of misery for when the office code is incorrect, or your paperwork gets rejected because the header is in 10 point instead of 12 point (not kidding, that happened to me). If it comes directly from your S1 then you know that you will have at least one roadblock averted. Other tips...

1) if you are one year out from your ADSO date, then you can submit. I would get your required papers for your UQR, write them up, and get them to your S1 for correction. You will have to really bird-dog this one, because they'll take your UQR packet and throw it on their desk (right next to the roster with everyone's SSN and DOB, just open to whoever walks by). This was a huge delay for me because I kept getting a run around from the 3 (three!!!) NCOIC's who came through the S1 shop in the 4 months my UQR sat there. Once corrected, stay on the S1 until they are submitted.

2) Another huge roadblock is when your packet is with HRC. They will get to it when they get to it, but you're looking at anywhere from 2-4 months for them to review and cut orders.

3) Get your SFL course done, or whatever your branch specific class is. It's a total waste of time for a doc (mostly) but you have to do it.

4) Find out if your Brigade/Division commander wants a face to face before you leave. Depending on the unit that can be a while.

5) Gather your gear for the trip to CIF. And yes, they want your nasty old canteens back.

Anecdote: I have a buddy who tried to buy back time for medical school and it was a no-go for him, but he was in a GMO situation so perhaps it is not applicable to you.

Good luck.

Reactions: 1 user